Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Hahaha. Enjoy thisnfucking cold snap in the desert suck my dick army fuckman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
High as balls playing video games.

Hate my coworkers and even my current job a little, but I'm so happy that I'm not in!

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Mustang posted:

I'm at NTC too, but for LTP. Complete waste of time having me here since I only have a couple months left in position.

:smith::hf::smith:

Soulex posted:

Hahaha. Enjoy thisnfucking cold snap in the desert suck my dick army fuckman

Currently freezing my rear end off in the back of a Stryker trying to keep my LT from wandering off into the wastes

It’s me, I’m the idiot who re-enlisted because I thought being a sergeant was fun :suicide:

Thump! fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 22, 2019

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

No, being a sergeant sucks, it's being a STAFF sergeant that's really fun. You just need to stay in until you pick up 6 and then everything will be great.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

No, being a sergeant sucks, it's being a STAFF sergeant that's really fun. You just need to stay in until you pick up 6 and then everything will be great.

Well I am going to ALC this summer, so I guess I’ve got that going for me

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Loden Taylor posted:

Hey it’s the same lie I got as an 2LT, when they told me about being a captain and why I should stay in!

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I have blc this summer and am already in a 5 slot as a cpl, you guys (and everyone else ever) are helping a lot to push me towards a warrant packet

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

rifles posted:

I have blc this summer and am already in a 5 slot as a cpl, you guys (and everyone else ever) are helping a lot to push me towards a warrant packet

Do it, from every warrant I’ve worked with and spoken with it’s the promised land

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Unless you're the BDE property book officer

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Mustang posted:

Unless you're the BDE property book officer

I'm NG and would be going for 170A with 255A as a backup. At this point I just need to grab some certs (sec+ is the big guy, I've never gotten around to taking the exam) and keep up my college grades. I'm seriously thinking about it next year as an option for me. My old NCOIC's wife is the state warrant recruiter and I definitely have the option there and meet all the guard requirements once I do BLC.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Loden Taylor posted:

I think the most damning thing putting me off from really pursuing a second rocker was the Sergeant Major telling us that once you became a Senior NCO you're a part of the organization and shouldn't complain about it.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Once you hit 6, you refuse to give a poo poo

Checks out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

not caring here posted:

Once you hit 6, you refuse to give a poo poo

Checks out.
I thought that was just because I was getting old, but that is pretty spot on.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

rifles posted:

I'm NG and would be going for 170A with 255A as a backup. At this point I just need to grab some certs (sec+ is the big guy, I've never gotten around to taking the exam) and keep up my college grades. I'm seriously thinking about it next year as an option for me. My old NCOIC's wife is the state warrant recruiter and I definitely have the option there and meet all the guard requirements once I do BLC.

In my state there's 3 170A slots and they were all taken/being filled by existing warrants. They have like 10 255A slots open though.

They still refused to wave the 3 NCOERS requirement and no way was I going to sign up for a 6 just for the opportunity to submit a packet. Being denied was probably the best thing that happened to me.

You should probably talk to somebody who is actually in the know now because I don't think you are as close to being a warrant as you think.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Feb 24, 2019

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Cyks posted:

In my state there's 3 170A slots and they were all taken/being filled by existing warrants. They have like 10 255A slots open though.

They still refused to wave the 3 NCOERS requirement and no way was I going to sign up for a 6 just for the opportunity to submit a packet. Being denied was probably the best thing that happened to me.

You should probably talk to somebody who is actually in the know now because I don't think you are as close to being a warrant as you think.

I've talked to three CW3 255As, but you're probably right. If they won't waive the NCOERs then I'll just get out and be happy making money and pursuing a masters with no guard bullshit to deal with.

At this point I'm going to wait until after BLC to even reach out to my contacts and get started. Thanks for letting me know your experience; it's good to hear from people that have tried, especially with the echo-chamber every drill of "oh yeah I was gonna drop a packet but blah blah blah :rolleyes:" being the most of what I hear. Even talking to the chiefs I work with usually all I get is "do it you'll be good at it" and that's about the extent of their advice.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

rifles posted:

I've talked to three CW3 255As, but you're probably right. If they won't waive the NCOERs then I'll just get out and be happy making money and pursuing a masters with no guard bullshit to deal with.

At this point I'm going to wait until after BLC to even reach out to my contacts and get started. Thanks for letting me know your experience; it's good to hear from people that have tried, especially with the echo-chamber every drill of "oh yeah I was gonna drop a packet but blah blah blah :rolleyes:" being the most of what I hear. Even talking to the chiefs I work with usually all I get is "do it you'll be good at it" and that's about the extent of their advice.

If anyone is in SC and wants to send a PM, I went to a two day recruiting event for a program that I thought was really interesting. Basically you do your monthly drills and AT at the school house for about half a year in lieu of WOCS. Even felt like hot poo poo when the CW5 pulled me aside and said he heard good things about me and name dropped a few chiefs that weren't even there. All I had to do was stay in and get some NCOERS! (Got out as an E4 since I didn't care enough to go back to school for a new MOS and fight another list).

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit
Is there a firing range on Camp Arifjan?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Cyks posted:

If anyone is in SC and wants to send a PM, I went to a two day recruiting event for a program that I thought was really interesting. Basically you do your monthly drills and AT at the school house for about half a year in lieu of WOCS. Even felt like hot poo poo when the CW5 pulled me aside and said he heard good things about me and name dropped a few chiefs that weren't even there. All I had to do was stay in and get some NCOERS! (Got out as an E4 since I didn't care enough to go back to school for a new MOS and fight another list).

Is this guard stuff?

That's how the natty guard does their OCS program. It's 2-3 days on a weekend every month, AT for 2 weeks or w/e and in 18 months you commission as a 2LT in the guard.

That or accelerated OCS which is 8 weeks.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

Deathy McDeath posted:

I don't think there is.

Also, enjoy Kuwait. I have less than a month left here and never want to come back.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr_Ruckus posted:

I don't think there is.

Also, enjoy Kuwait. I have less than a month left here and never want to come back.

My favorite part of Kuwait is how it still looks exactly like it did in footage from the Gulf War 28 years ago. Flat desert, beige buildings, and everything.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Holy poo poo, soldiers that snore should have that poo poo identified on their medical records and placed in their own barracks bays full of nothing but other snorers.

Waking these mother fuckers up with their defective respiratory systems doesn't even stop them, they just go right back to being pieces of poo poo that keep other people from sleeping.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mustang posted:

Holy poo poo, soldiers that snore should have that poo poo identified on their medical records and placed in their own barracks bays full of nothing but other snorers.

Waking these mother fuckers up with their defective respiratory systems doesn't even stop them, they just go right back to being pieces of poo poo that keep other people from sleeping.

Hahahahah you're either in the officer tent and just unlucky, or in the enlisted tent and dumb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

It's a mix of officers, NCOs and junior enlisted. Neither group has a monopoly on snoring here.

I've been awake since 3 am due to literally everyone around me snoring obnoxiously loud from 3 am to 6 am.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

Hahahahah you're either in the officer tent and just unlucky, or in the enlisted tent and dumb.

Plenty of dad bod O4s and O5s with sleep apnea. It's doubly bad in the reserve/guard where there's plenty of officers who smoke.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
High quality ear plugs are like $5 for fifty.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
Ear plugs are worth it. My old army roommate used to basically scream snore.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Deathy McDeath posted:

Yes. I distinctly remember getting hit in the face with hot sand in September in Kuwait shooting downrange as visibility lowered and we could barely see the targets.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
My sleep apnea got identified because I was keeping everyone up during a field problem.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Betting earpro is part of Mustang's command's dumb uniform regs and he doesn't carry them

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Buying your own box of Hearos for sleeping purposes is so worth it.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

A Bad Poster posted:

My sleep apnea got identified because I was keeping everyone up during a field problem.

I never got this diagnosed but apparently I grind my teeth real bad

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Soulex posted:

I never got this diagnosed but apparently I grind my teeth real bad

You may want to get a night guard. I thought it was silly until I saw the size of the gouges I was leaving in mine. Beats the hell out of having that wear on my teeth at least.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

The Rat posted:

You may want to get a night guard. I thought it was silly until I saw the size of the gouges I was leaving in mine. Beats the hell out of having that wear on my teeth at least.

Most of it stopped when I got off percocets. I still tense my jaw a lot but mostly awake.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Night guards are a great idea, teeth grinding can lead to increased cavity susceptibility, according to my last civilian dentist

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
everytime you put them in u can yell "nightguards......POST" and have a sensible chuckle at your E8 type joke

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Mustang posted:

It's a mix of officers, NCOs and junior enlisted. Neither group has a monopoly on snoring here.

I've been awake since 3 am due to literally everyone around me snoring obnoxiously loud from 3 am to 6 am.

I got through OTS by downloading the white noise app for Android. I know you probably don't have any power outlets at NTC though

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Knives Amilli posted:

I got through OTS by downloading the white noise app for Android. I know you probably don't have any power outlets at NTC though

The RUBA is a spiderweb of power cords and surge protectors, at least in my tent.

And yet first sergeant had someone cut down the paracord I had my towel hanging on because it was a ‘fire hazard’ :thunk:

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
That was 100% just them flexing on something that wouldn't affect them at all.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

A Bad Poster posted:

That was 100% just them flexing on something that wouldn't affect them at all.

Oh yeah

When the revolution comes, stars and diamonds will dangle alongside the nobles they enable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Oh good, someone brought UXO back to the RUBA barracks and we just got cleared out so they can take care of it