Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Let us know if you have to have to cops show up to RUBA to deal with a drunk and disorderly like we had when I was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Five years out today. :toot:

p.s. gently caress you if you're still in

p.p.s. SMDFTB

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
Hey everybody, remember FOB Shank?!

Welcome to ‘Zombieland’: A former US Army base rots in the hands of overwhelmed Afghans

quote:

“You drive through and it’s like the ‘Walking Dead,’” 1st Lt. Tom Kopec, 26, a soldier in the 1st Cavalry Regiment, said in December.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Who could forget Rocket City, everyone's least favorite convoy stop from BAF to anywhere in southern RC-E?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I wonder if that pic was of one the tents I helped put up.

When folks ask me what I did in Afghanistan, my answer was usually "pitching a tent."

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Deathy McDeath posted:

Is there a firing range on Camp Arifjan?

Not that I remember, probably have to go up to Camp Buehring. :lol: sucks to be you. Eat some Kurdo for me while you're there.

Mr_Ruckus
Jul 8, 2008

If you have any other questions about Kuwait PM me, I'm here now getting ready to go back home.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

So uh, what exactly does a training room NCO do, anyways?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Thump! posted:

Mostly bullshit, spreadsheets, and hiding from motor pool activities. It's not terribly exciting but not terribly difficult, either.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Thump! posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but people think you're dumb

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
^^
Ha, fair. But if I have one NCO, some smart as gently caress rear end in a top hat just got rekt with training room duty. If there are like 4 NCOs up there, oh no.

Thump! posted:

A good training room NCO gets protected from poo poo jobs, but is perpetually dealing with poo poo that rolls downhill, administratively, and they get lots of face time, which is a two way street.

A bad one? Heavens help you.

Note that “very good” really means you don’t lose poo poo, can type and file, and meets deadlines other than the ones where the commander and 1SG/CSM haven’t said “gently caress that task.” Also don’t be a loving gossip. Being able to flex from this office work to covering down when line leaders are out for various reasons is useful.

I’ve seen many good and bad training room NCOs and holy poo poo good ones make a massive difference in ensuring leadership has any time to actually listen to their NCOs/soldiers/PLs instead of bitterly pounding away at admin while ignoring how balls things are going in the real world.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Pretty much just a filter between S1, your command, and everyone throwing paperwork that needs commander's signatures.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Training room is an island of misfit toys headed by the one eyed king.

Source: I was the one eyed king for almost two years for my unit.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Well poo poo. My CO came into the office today with “bad news” that apparently I’m competent and he has a poo poo job for me. My PL is getting kicked over to HHT’s S3 shop and I was sweating thinking that was the destination. So basically just handling all of the troop’s admin stuff and filing leave forms and stuff? I’m a goon so I guess I’m alright at typing and computer work and stuff.

I’m sure I’ll have more questions and ever more stupidity from my command team in the future with this job so I guess I’ve got that going for me

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Looking forward to you finding out why all nobles must hang because watching a train wreck happen to someone else is always funny.

Please post updates.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

I'm sorry to tell you this, but people think you're dumb

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
hope ya'll ready for big army to finally start regulating dietary and nutritional supplements

if you're not too bad

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Put Red Bull or Monster on that list, watch the Army explode.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It was always interesting to watch people who gobbled down a bunch of randomly sourced pre workout supplements standing in formation practically loving vibrating and sweating in below freezing temperatures.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Vasudus posted:

hope ya'll ready for big army to finally start regulating dietary and nutritional supplements

if you're not too bad

Huh, guess the analytics bore out the anecdotal evidence. I figured it was just some kind of observational bias on my end. Sucks for the GNC AAFES contract, though.

I assume this will somehow wind up being the policy equivalent of a Nerf sledgehammer again?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
There's gonna be an allowed-without-restrictions list, and a prohibited list. O5s can submit a waiver request with sufficient justification from a military dietitian to get temporary permission for a previously prohibited item, aka the SOF clause.

Items that are somehow not on either list are be default allowed in a garrison environment and prohibited in a training or deployed environment.

Both lists are being determined right now, but the obvious stuff like chinese "we swear this isn't a PED" crap and everything on the olympic lists and stuff is on there by default.

edit: removed some unnecessary policy details that are still up in the air

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

How about not-crazy stuff like common protein powder? I mean just the straight up lactase stuff I drink, no crazy additives.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Hah. Jokes on them.

I get all my supplements from an equine vet

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Vasudus posted:

if you're not too bad

drat, that sucks for Charley’s

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EBB posted:

How about not-crazy stuff like common protein powder? I mean just the straight up lactase stuff I drink, no crazy additives.

Generic, common whey/soy protein and similar things with nothing additional are going to be on the whitelist.

Anything that remotely resembles a PED is going to be blacklisted along with things commonly abused. Which will probably include a number of things sold on post and all the 'ah ha ha this research chemical isn't actually steroids' gotcha stuff. They're adding in language to allow for the testing of steroids in situations where abuse is suspected as well.

The Army's H2F program is making huge waves in the health policy world and this is one of many things coming down the pipe in the next year or two.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
how would this be enforced?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
A lot of it is going to be enforced on-post via AAFES/etc. changes along with leveraging installation commanders to put the word out to immediately surrounding areas offpost. Between that and allowing screening for PEDs it'll be about as effective as it can be. It's an 80% solution but they're fine with it.

Individual education is going to be handed down by the dietitians the Army is now embedding in units as part of the H2F program that is rolling out.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Throw in a "brigade piss test organizer no longer has a piss test schedule and it's decided by someone completely independent" and you'll see a lot of SNCOs and O's eat poo poo on that one.

Melthir
Dec 29, 2009

I need to go scrap some money together cause my avatar is just sad.

Vasudus posted:

There's gonna be an allowed-without-restrictions list, and a prohibited list. O5s can submit a waiver request with sufficient justification from a military dietitian to get temporary permission for a previously prohibited item, aka the SOF clause.

Items that are somehow not on either list are be default allowed in a garrison environment and prohibited in a training or deployed environment.

Both lists are being determined right now, but the obvious stuff like chinese "we swear this isn't a PED" crap and everything on the olympic lists and stuff is on there by default.

edit: removed some unnecessary policy details that are still up in the air

Got any links Vas. Not army but I can see the CG latching on to that poo poo like mana from heaven.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

The Army's H2F program is making huge waves in the health policy world and this is one of many things coming down the pipe in the next year or two.

How's the tobacco ban coming? I was still in when there were rumblings of it being phased out by 2025 or so.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
It's gonna be a DoDI. It's going into formal coordination very shortly so it'll be signed probably around September/October since they did all the major work in informal coordination. So you can expect service-level policy within 60 days after that, so sometime likely around Q2FY2020.

I don't have anything formally written down, this was at a large conference that's going on this week.

EBB posted:

How's the tobacco ban coming? I was still in when there were rumblings of it being phased out by 2025 or so.

Tobacco use was taking a nosedive until goddamn Juul hosed everything up.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

edit: wrong thread

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 8, 2019

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

Tobacco use was taking a nosedive until goddamn Juul hosed everything up.

I figure the military has to be one of the largest demographics still smoking in this country. Hell I went from a little drag to a pack a day for a while there. No way is that moneymaker gonna go away for nicotine producers.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

EBB posted:

I figure the military has to be one of the largest demographics still smoking in this country. Hell I went from a little drag to a pack a day for a while there. No way is that moneymaker gonna go away for nicotine producers.

They are, but even statistically it's going down by age group. Or was.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
So I've got sort of a tough choice.

Keep moving forward with immediately getting out of the Army and I'll final ETS by the end of summer.

However this route I won't get the option to do one of the career skills programs(one geared mainly towards officers) I want to do that has an essentially 100% hire rate.

The other option I have is to accept becoming an aide for a LTC and being guaranteed this program and potentially having my time in the Army pushed to the end of the year. However with this job I will never have to go to the field, less work than I would be doing as the S4 and more time I can work towards transitioning.

Also sort of curious/concerned what being an aide looks like on a resume when looked at by civilians.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Mustang posted:

So I've got sort of a tough choice.

Keep moving forward with immediately getting out of the Army and I'll final ETS by the end of summer.

However this route I won't get the option to do one of the career skills programs(one geared mainly towards officers) I want to do that has an essentially 100% hire rate.

The other option I have is to accept becoming an aide for a LTC and being guaranteed this program and potentially having my time in the Army pushed to the end of the year. However with this job I will never have to go to the field, less work than I would be doing as the S4 and more time I can work towards transitioning.

Also sort of curious/concerned what being an aide looks like on a resume when looked at by civilians.

Based on your post history, the Army's already gotten what it wants and more out of you. Get something out of it for once and take the career option.

Also, why put down that you're an aide? Be creative and figure out a way to turn "I am a LTC's errand boy" into "I helped plan and execute training missions for an <echelon> level organization".

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Is that 100% hire rate job something you actually want to do? Because staying in longer to get a job you don't want is uh...kinda the problem that you're in now?

Also being an aide doesn't really matter. Nobody gives a poo poo unless you're going back to work for HQDA/DoD immediately after ETS and then they give half a poo poo, only to probe if they know the people you worked with. You're an 'attache' that assists in plans and operations, done and done.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yeah, it will land me a corporate job in Seattle doing something along the lines of program or project management.

You basically work for a business on the Army's dime for 3 months and every couple of weeks the program has networking events at various corporate HQs.

It's probably the best transitioning program in the Army right now. It's only been around for a few years and was started here at JBLM before being stood up at other duty stations. Open to other services as well.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I don't know how close you are to ETSing but have you considered putting in some applications now for civilian jobs? A 100%* hire rate is nice but if you already have a job lined up then what good is it really doing do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Nice and hot piss posted: