Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
A replacement service thread had been in the works since FY15, but since the old thread was turned over to the Marines before the new one was ready, we'll just have to make do with this one. Also, we're out of funds, so everybody needs to pitch in to help "acquire" some good posts. You're doing good things for your country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

pity reply

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Sometimes I try to explain to people why I'm so glad I got out of the Army, but more and more it degenerates into inarticulate screams of disgust.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

stand by for the accountability formation pre-formation

squad leaders i need 100% accountability 30 minutes prior to the accountability formation

cmdrpinky
Oct 1, 2003

gently caress you if you're still in :newlol:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Smoke weed if you're out

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

lol Just lol if you don't have a healthy work-life balance

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

The Rat posted:

Sometimes I try to explain to people why I'm so glad I got out of the Army, but more and more it degenerates into inarticulate screams of disgust.

:smith::hf::smith:

This month in anniversaries: my commissioning (possibly the worst decision I ever made) and an army friend’s suicide (that I knew from basic and OCS).

gently caress the army.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
My squad leader decided to counsel me for being 8 minutes late to drill so I asked if I could do it instead since I was amused by him wanting to do paperwork the month before I transfer units over missing first formation. Just wrote myself a negative counseling for being late to formation by 8 minutes, in pencil, then Xerox’d it so it was technically in ink. I’m gonna take the original and frame it to remind myself how to not lead soldiers in the future because lmfao thanks for being late like 3 times but then turning around and doing a counseling straight away when I’m late once after being on time literally every other time, dick.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Upon request I can furnish a redacted copy if anyone wants to see because he loving signed that poo poo and it is ridiculous.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

its curtains for Kevin posted:

Upon request I can furnish a redacted copy if anyone wants to see because he loving signed that poo poo and it is ridiculous.

Do you even have to ask?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

its curtains for Kevin posted:

This might be an indicator of something :thunk:

:frogout:

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I’m changing to the band, which is as close as I can get to being out of the army while they pay for my masters

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Lol fast roping in below freezing weather sucks holy poo poo

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
So does this thread have a six month review written in to its contract to determine feasibility and functionality or are we just going to turn this one over to the marines next year as well?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

bird food bathtub posted:

So does this thread have a six month review written in to its contract to determine feasibility and functionality or are we just going to turn this one over to the marines next year as well?

yes

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Might just decide to leave it in a conex and ‘forget’ about it when we redeploy out of the country.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

I really don’t get why everyone bitches about NTC. This poo poo is basically a big camping trip :v:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Thump! posted:

I really don’t get why everyone bitches about NTC. This poo poo is basically a big camping trip :v:

gently caress off

Edit: don't really gently caress off, I just had a different experience. Please keep us updated about your camping trip

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I can see it. I was an OC there, and they do what they can for comfort. It would be a miserably cold time to go camping there now.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I bitch about it because I don't think the simulation's conditions in any way prepared us for our deployment better than home station training could have, so all things being equal why not save the Army some money AND let me have my weekends off? In short gently caress NTC.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

gently caress off

Edit: don't really gently caress off, I just had a different experience. Please keep us updated about your camping trip

Someone got arrested yesterday I guess, I didn’t witness it unfortunately. I’ll post pictures of the idiocy about to commence though

Edit: Aaaand there it is, the fat gently caress cook 1st Sergeant telling me to get my hands out of my pockets and that we need eyepro to go through the chow line

Thump! fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jan 27, 2019

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Thump! posted:

I was an E5 PAO in charge of 4k soldiers media training as an augmentee. The highest ranking PAO in that entire group. They neglected to bring any.

I was not accounted for, nor my partner or soldiers who fell directly under me for billets, food, and water for the first week. We had 1 MRE a day.

18-hour non-negotiable work days. Also fireguard.

No shower for the entire rotation

No promask or weapon which was actually great until they hit us with CS.

No nods so bathroom trips sucked at night.

OIC hated me for being PAO by default. I was kicked out of everywhere. No PAO consideration in TOC

We jumped TOC 3 times and had to be overacheivers by going the furthest east.

It was in January so it was cold at night. We had Arctic tents. poo poo stayed cold. Couldnt stand up much.

Just had a kid so I missed them.

But yeah, poo poo is different for everybody.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I only went to NTC once, and it was for two months. Because I'm broken, my only job that whole time was to shuttle people to the airport in LA or Las Vegas. I ate so much In and Out.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I didn't get to do a ton in the army, but I am glad to say I never had to do an NTC rotation.

Praise Satan

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Nice and hot piss posted:

I didn't get to do a ton in the army, but I am glad to say I never had to do an NTC rotation.

Praise Satan

Same. Did JRTC once and that was enough for me.

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

The training portion of NTC wasn't bad at all, but that's probably because I got to do it as a tank platoon leader. From a maneuver standpoint the open terrain was a welcome change from the swamps and woods of Stewart. We also went in January, so while it was cold at night the days were comfortable.

On the other hand turn in week was absolutely miserable. Brown and Root was staffed with the worst kind of lazy, lying, worthless motherfuckers on the planet.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

The Rat posted:

Same. Did JRTC once and that was enough for me.

Same, it sucked enough that I was really glad I didn’t have to do NTC. gently caress Polk.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Praise Satan

My brigade was supposed to go to NTC but due to budget fights (I want to say there was a government shut down?) wound up getting cancelled for budgetary reasons and turned into a normal Fort McCoy based exercise. Otoh, someone had the bright idea to dig fighting holes all around the brigade HQ's footprint with useless SNCOs walking around making people "improve" their positions in ridiculous ways for a week straight in 90 degree summer heat. This being the ARNG, I guess this is something SGM Crusty probably learned serving in Germany during the 1980s?

At least I had other more important duties so I got out of digging a 5 foot deep hole with an e-tool.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Praise Satan

Stuck at Bragg as a leg for my time in, and played at Camp Mackall a couple of times .

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
when you're stationed at polk every day is a jrtc rotation :suicide:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
lmao today I showed off the fact that action figures of the 173d dudes featured in Restrepo exist

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
did you bring them in a bucket? when I was little i used to have like a mcdonalds halloween bucket that i would carry my "guys" in. my "bucket of guys"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

lmao today I showed off the fact that action figures of the 173d dudes featured in Restrepo exist
the gently caress

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

mods changed my name posted:

did you bring them in a bucket? when I was little i used to have like a mcdonalds halloween bucket that i would carry my "guys" in. my "bucket of guys"

Getting severe McDonald’s Halloween bucket flashbacks.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

mods changed my name posted:

The most essential item in any packing list

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Man, what the hell is up with the Army scheduling poo poo in the most godawful inconvenient way possible.

Week in the field followed by 10-15 days at NTC. Not even sure the exact days yet because the Army is cheap as gently caress and they're getting the cheapest flights possible, with some people having to wait almost up to a week before they can leave once we're done at NTC. Not sure how the living expenses while they're there saves the Army money.

Oh and that 4 day? gently caress us, we ain't getting it.

Also added almost 3 weeks onto our already 2 week long training at Yakima because who doesn't love spending a month in a frigid desert?

God drat May can't come soon enough. Everyone knows I'm getting out of the Army but our brand new support company commander loving loves logistics and won't stop talking to me about it. No matter how many times I tell him that I won't be the S4 at NTC or for the BDE FTX. poo poo is literally pointless and a waste of my time.

So ready to not have to shave every morning, not waking up at 5, and smoking all the weed.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
did you ever get to use your comp time?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Why you gotta ask questions you already know the answer to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Never. I got a late call once when I came back at like 9pm.

For some reason staff work seems to be treated like if you miss a day the world will burn down around you. I think it's more that the Majors know they can't get comp days so the rest of the staff can't either.