Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Richard Bong posted:

The only problem is when you’re the last guy trying to set up a cot and there are no extra braces.

Just use your M4. Or your dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Screw it. I'm just gonna sleep on the hood of the truck.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

When I retire I'm going to have a ceremony where I put all my army poo poo, including my cellphone, in a boat that I light on fire and send over a waterfall.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Seri posted:

I get to sit down with my Brigade Commander in an article 415 meeting. Yay.

Not sure what that is, but your article 32 rights are pretty powerful if you've got a lawyer that knows what's up.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

Check the box that says you want to take it to courts martial, your commander will quietly drop it like it never happened.

Depends on where they are in the training cycle. Might have a lot of free time right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

White Chocolate posted:

Are you guys excited to not take anymore APFTs ever? i took my last one two weeks ago... ACFT is coming in OCT woot

I'm going to give it a go. Several buddies have taken it and like it (for some dumb reason).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

failure of the CFT is going to be automatic separation but should technically be impossible to fail if you're remotely doing what you're supposed to

good luck

Automatic separation like it is now? I'd be retired for months before they could even organize the paperwork. :colbert:

I'm wondering what it'll be like. I've been on a permanent profile against running forever (I do the bike test). I jog, so that'll probably be good enough for the 20 minute 2 mile.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

bulletsponge13 posted:

Thanks to Army fuckery, I technically never took a PT test in the guard.
Graded a bunch, didn't take one at all in the five years I was actively drilling, or during my 5 year med board process.

Have you done your VA disability claim?

Also, any of you lurkers who haven't done it, do it. If you aren't in the exact same shape (ha ha) as the day you joined the army you have EARNED compensation. It's an earned benefit, it's not just given out.

Here are some real examples of stuff my buddies have gotten that most folks don't think about :

- Dude did a few years and went to the doctor a couple of times to get some prescription strength foot cream for athletes foot. The VA determined it was chronic (because he got athletes foot more than once) and awarded him a percentage and he gets free foot cream mailed to his house whenever he asks now.

- Dude got the normal amount of hearing loss that we all get. The VA gave him custom hearing aides that are bluetooth enabled. Guy takes phonecalls through them, listens to his smart tv through them, etc. He's also a hunter and says he can turn them up so high he can hear squirrels farting at 50 meters. They also mail him free batteries for them every month.

Google your town's name + veteran's claim help. The government gives grants to charities that help vets do their VA claims. You can get them to walk you through the process for free (and they do this stuff all day every day and know stuff that you don't know).

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

mlmp08 posted:

100% getting in on that by the time I'm out. One of my ears is not great, but just short of really needing a hearing aid (according to docs, not just me being stubborn). One of the NCOs at work got bluetooth hearing aids and he loving loves them.

Kicker: some rear end in a top hat ripped off rounds next to me during an army range cease-fire right BEFORE the army took my baseline entry hearing. So according to them one of my ears has always sucked :negative:

This same guy I was talking about had to appeal/argue with the VA because they will try to tell you your hearing is fine, or that you really only need cheapo aides.

Just argue in a professional, and traceable (email), way that you don't feel like you're being treated well/fairly.

Also, something cool about those super hearing aides is that if you're deaf in one ear, you still wear the aide in that ear. It'll transmit the sounds from that side to the other hearing aide.

I'm at 22 years now. How stupid am I?

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 12, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

the assholes gave me nothing because the doctor's appointment they scheduled for my physical exam was halfway across the continent.

The letter that comes with appointments has contact info if you can't make the appointment for any reason. Did you call/email/write them?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, I called them and they said they canceled it. They didn't.

Ah, you discovered one of the dumb things about the VA.

The people who schedule the appointments, and the people who are waiting to see you (the nurse/doctor) are operating on separate systems.

So the people who make the appointments send the info to the dr's office. Then you call and cancel/change the appointment with the appointment people (which is fine). But the dr's office doesn't ever see the cancelation. So when you don't show up, they report it as you missing an appointment.

This is one of those situations where you need to use email and argue (professionally) that you aren't being treated fairly/well. If you are talking to people on the phone, make a note of the date/time/reason so you can include it in an email.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Vasudus posted:

the ppt brief i got from the people doing the policy side of things actually had an asterisk with *(this time we mean it) at the end

lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

colachute posted:

haven't checked on the army thread in a while and i have one question

is mustang still in?

He's at NTC right now.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

MWR officer

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

THAT'S IT LOOKS LIKE!?!

oh no. no. poo poo.

Whats the wear out dates on the ASU'S?

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

rifles posted:

The garrison caps are okay

I didn't know that was the proper name for those until I'd been in the army for 3 years.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

Yeah. I'm sure it's hosed up but I don't really care and only pay attention to stuff thats directly relevant to me. I'm also not responsibile for anything so I couldn't care less how well this exercise goes.

Well, as the MWR officer you are responsible for keeping track of the DVD sign out sheet. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sorry man.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

AF COL extremely upset that Army armor COL kept referring to people as crunchies during briefing today.

As in: "The crunchies will be transported, by bus, to the training area."

Followed by her asking what crunchies were, followed by the guy not understanding that someone didn't know the term, followed by her attempting to berate him.

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 01:31 on May 14, 2019

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

That’s the millionth version of that story I’ve read on GIP alone. It had to have happened at least once, I assume.

I might have forgotten I told it before. I changed the time to "today" so as not to give too much info away (in case anyone knows stuff :tinfoil:)

I was just reminded of it this week as I chatted up an airman who was telling me how they don't even have weapons training in the basic she attended.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Mustang posted:

E9's are still the most useless rank in the Army. Maybe there's good ones somewhere but I've never met one.

I'll have you know that the E-9's in my building are really good at checking my dress uniform for imperfections before I get that new DA photo. :colbert:

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

DoktorLoken posted:

I just got this in my email, and I’ve been out of the IRR for almost a year too. :tinfoil:

Obviously I can’t get into IPERMs to check it and it doesn’t show up in the HRC portal where vets can log in.

Don't worry about it. We're just checking out what resources we have available for "big things" in the future.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Suntan Boy posted:

God drat it. God drat it.

They made me the loving PSG.

loving Guard.

Hi, I'm your new LT. I'm 19.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Naked Bear posted:

THE BEND AND REACH

Back in the 90's our PT shorts were short booty shorts. You did not want to be anywhere but the first row when doing the bend and reach. Or maybe some of us did. Who knows.

What I'm saying is lol at the new long shorts with built in leggings.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

GreenMeat posted:

How bad are the other forums and subforums now, I'm afraid to look.

Here's my favorite thread right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3883865

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I too like to hide all my punches with my face.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Flikken posted:

He's already broken his back once

Ibuprophen and chill

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ziji posted:

I'm waiting to final out right now. Feels really bittersweet. :gbsmith: The last couple years have been the hardest of my entire life, especially the last like 6 months or so, and I know I should be excited to exit this cesspool of an organization that has ruined my life and wasted my time, energy, and physically destroyed my body. Oh well. Just figured I'd make one last post while I was still in. At least my CO gave me $15 for a going away present.

Have you filed your VA disability claim?

If you haven't, call the American Legion today.

Getting a tax free deposit into your bank account every month for life helps.

Also, if you file your claim while still on active duty it's expedited.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ziji posted:

I filed it months ago, like the minute my "window" opened I think. They said I should have a rating soon since they estimated it being done like right around today on the dot, but I'm not holding my breath. I got a letter asking for my DD214 before they gave me a rating so who knows how long it'll take them to process.

If they deny anything, or if you feel the rating is too low, appeal it immediately.

Sounds like you're good though.

Also, find out what benefits your state offers. My kids are going to college for free and it's a massive burden off of my mind.

Speaking of that, transfer your post 9/11 GI bill, if you don't think you'll use it, to your kids/spouse.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Ziji posted:

I probably hosed up, but my medical clinic would not do my phase 1/phase 2 stuff because I'd already done a VA claim prior to that "step" in the outprocessing stage. I kept asking them and others like what the gently caress and they said I am supposed to do the medical appointments first, then VA claim, but they wouldn't let me do my phase 1/phase 2 until I got my orders.. which was way after my window for my VA claim opened up. So I outprocessed and cleared without ever having the Army doing a "final check" on me. Did I get hosed? Like I legitimately tried to schedule appointments but no one would listen to me.

No, you're probably ok. See PM.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Note on that dumb CFT physical fitness thing.

The "possible" profile version is being decided upon.

I'm loling because the HOOAH motherfuckers were bragging about how this test was going to finally allow them to kick out all those useless SM's that don't do situps or whatever, and that there ABSOLUTELY would be no exceptions to taking the full test.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

I guess they finally looked at the numbers and realized "Oh, poo poo, we'd lose half of the people serving, and 95% of the senior NCOs and officers if we did this."

That's also why I support it.

Not just that, but this thing seems designed specifically to cause injuries and waste resources.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

A Bad Poster posted:

Yeah, I should have bought some stock in Rogue Fitness when they announced this. They're going to make a killing selling the Army all the equipment they need for that mess.

There's already a huge contract dispute over equipment. So much so that the Q1 diagnostic everyone was supposed to be taking has been moved to the right. lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I was talking to an E7 today and he was telling me some old story about his old unit when I realized that I was the dude who arrested his commander all those years ago.

I didn't mention it.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Arc Light posted:

As a soon-to-be E7, I would buy a keg for any MP/CID/civ cop/whatever who arrested one of my previous commanders.

Please tell him. I'm begging you.

Cav is gonna cav.

The commander was crazy as a bedbug, wanted to fight, and my driver had just had a procedure done a couple of days prior. He didn't want to get hit in the face so he told me I was going to have to go in first. So, I handed him my duty belt and then double legged that dude.

I'll add that I really felt bad for the dude, his deployment had broke his brain in the worst way. Once we got him stuffed in the car we took him to the mental health ward of the local big hospital.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

So at the end of this training calendar they have a slot saved for one more live fire, with the subtitle "best company will go again". I don't know if that's ironic or if they really think it's a good reward to make dudes go out to the field and dirty up their guns and poo poo on a Friday

And here my dumbass has been giving passes and days off as rewards.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

colachute posted:

this is why we lost the war

The war was lost because of missed brass on range police calls.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I shamelessly write my own PCS awards because that's how you get them.

I've got my retirement award written up too. The day I announce my retirement is the day I'll send the 638 to my "supervisor".

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Wasabi the J posted:

Especially when it goes against nearly every convention of established army writing guides.

Easily understood and generally free of errors.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

loving do it. Go scorched Earth. Flip some tables and yell at a CSM.

DO. IT.