Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

bird food bathtub posted:

I am, in total sincerity, not sure one of my cats would survive a month in isolation. He gets so terrified going to the veterinarian that he just shuts down. Doesn't meow, doesn't move, doesn't move his eyes, if you pick him up it's like he's drunk or asleep. His heart is being a million miles a minute, but he just shuts down. We're already looking at kitty prozac for the flight, but if there's a month isolation period I'm not sure the wife and I could do that to him.

Last I talked to someone going to Korea, the quarantine was minimal/nonexistent as long as you had all of your paperwork in order and all the tests/vaccines done at the correct time. If you don't have all that stuff on hand within the correct timeline, then you're facing an expensive quarantine. I try to make a point of using vaccines and such that are compliant outside of just the USA in case I ever get a surprise PCS overseas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I took a unit and found that two commands prior, the commander ETS’d without signing over an entire building full of materiel, and the commander I was taking over from never fixed it. Fun trying to explain why the person supposedly signed for it cant be there to defend missing items because they ETS’d 2 years ago.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

A Bad Poster posted:

Great, now I've got a flashback of having two fill out Trips forms for walking the two blocks from my office to the barracks.

Had a soldier get told by BN S1 he couldn’t take leave without trips. It was local leave, and he didn’t own a car. Rather than tell leadership so they could tell S1 to get bent, he did the angry soldier thing of expertly crafting a to-scale draft of the BN footprint with to-scale stenciled footprints going to and from staff duty with a pace count and such. BN XO found it hilarious and S1 got to write a new SOP and stop micromanaging unit leave packets.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

Why would S1 care if TRIPS was in their leave packet?

I dunno, it was weird. After the BN CoC it got worse and every single officer leave/pass required BN Cdr signature, because that’s the rational response to one company cdr authorizing a 2LT to take leave during a field exercise.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/josh_weinberg/status/1094339558492188672?s=21

:ohno:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
My favorite HHC 1SG move was way back when appointment notifications weren’t as useful as today (ie no text, calls)

He simply made appointments for everyone who was delinquent on medical readiness, then he forgot to notify those people. We had something like 20 missed appointments in one week, which is of course the kind of thing that makes senior commanders flip the gently caress out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
High quality ear plugs are like $5 for fifty.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Buying your own box of Hearos for sleeping purposes is so worth it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
^^
Ha, fair. But if I have one NCO, some smart as gently caress rear end in a top hat just got rekt with training room duty. If there are like 4 NCOs up there, oh no.

Thump! posted:

So uh, what exactly does a training room NCO do, anyways?

A good training room NCO gets protected from poo poo jobs, but is perpetually dealing with poo poo that rolls downhill, administratively, and they get lots of face time, which is a two way street.

A bad one? Heavens help you.

Note that “very good” really means you don’t lose poo poo, can type and file, and meets deadlines other than the ones where the commander and 1SG/CSM haven’t said “gently caress that task.” Also don’t be a loving gossip. Being able to flex from this office work to covering down when line leaders are out for various reasons is useful.

I’ve seen many good and bad training room NCOs and holy poo poo good ones make a massive difference in ensuring leadership has any time to actually listen to their NCOs/soldiers/PLs instead of bitterly pounding away at admin while ignoring how balls things are going in the real world.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/USArmy/status/1102797203494633472?s=20

:ohno:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
That video with the kid singing the Army song is literally what we show on clips to show evil IS/AQ/whoever is when they indoctrinate children.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/armycritcare/status/1109555232009318403?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If it gives too much fight, I just give up and sleep with my feet up off the edge. gently caress it.

But I’ve seem NCOs bitch at soldiers who do that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
This picture is in “don’t touch; control vermin” posters at SRP.

https://twitter.com/usarmy/status/1109576824051433472?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

- Dude got the normal amount of hearing loss that we all get. The VA gave him custom hearing aides that are bluetooth enabled. Guy takes phonecalls through them, listens to his smart tv through them, etc. He's also a hunter and says he can turn them up so high he can hear squirrels farting at 50 meters. They also mail him free batteries for them every month.

100% getting in on that by the time I'm out. One of my ears is not great, but just short of really needing a hearing aid (according to docs, not just me being stubborn). One of the NCOs at work got bluetooth hearing aids and he loving loves them.

Kicker: some rear end in a top hat ripped off rounds next to me during an army range cease-fire right BEFORE the army took my baseline entry hearing. So according to them one of my ears has always sucked :negative:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/puckthepilot/status/1119738502986420224?s=21

Same. The only people who want to pay their own money to cosplay as people who served in WW2 are wither old retirees who are bullshitting or people about to ETS and never buy the things anyway.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

bulletsponge13 posted:

I think they look great, and were I in, I'd want a set because each of the previous were loving hideous.

You say that, but first you are not in, so you forget the “bad” uniform is just as bad as everyone else’s, and two lmbo why would you want to pay for a new uniform?

And if you believe in the cost neutral bullshit, you’re even more of a sucker than the rest of us who joined.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
One of the civilians at work is suuuuper pumped about them. Her husband is a retired E-9 who partially owns a dry cleaning business.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Hence why the air force switched to it but then made it ovnoxious to read their names/rank via Spiced Brown.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Maybe I’m being overly conspiratorial, but I’m convinced the constant stream of uniform swaps are at least partially a way to pass more money to a bunch of businesses that make uniforms.

At least new PTs are actually much better than the old ones. I’ll give them that.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Then there are the polls the Army has been using.

When the poll is “Which looks better?” then most soldiers pick pinks and greens over ASUs.

The poll should be “wanna keep doing the same poo poo, or do you want to wear formal wear every day and dry clean it at your own expense and always have a set of OCPs on hand just in case you have to go to a field site or motor pool and also you probably need more than one set of formal wear now and also also you know 1SG is going to expect them to look ready for a ball every day when you go into the office, so you wanna do all that? Don’t worry; we give you a free set at age 18, and everyone knows that’s the same size you’ll be forever.”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Retrowave Joe posted:

The ASUs aren’t going anywhere. The Pinks and Greens are a daily business wear uniform. The ASUs will still be used for formal events.

I want this stamped onto the face of every soldier telling senior leaders how much they want pinks and greens.

“Gee, SMA, I was just thinking I’d like all of today’s bullshit but also extra clothes to buy, dry clean, and inspect!”

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
I have it on good authority that Vaha’s last jump was into Normandy for D-Day anniversary alongside partner nations and going on tours of historic battle sites.

Ride on, Army unicorn.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Met a guy who got really mad at DTS because he got stuck during travel because his card didn't work.

Why didn't it work?

Well, you see, he lost his card, so he got a new one. Then he found his old card, so he cut up his new, activated card and tried to switch back to the old card.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Thing about officers is.....we have no ETS.

INDEF is an ETS.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

EBB posted:

I briefly carried an XM16 at LDAC.

Same. With a ridiculously low serial number and wobbling the handle left the upper with some impressive give and clackity goodness. Ripped off blanks full auto like a champ, though!

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/sgtjanedoe/status/1175836628880908294?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mustang posted:

"let's level the bubbles in order to set the conditions to stay on glide path for redeployment."

Why can't we talk like normal loving people

There are so many bubbles that need leveling. I don't really recall this being such a loving buzz-phrase until a year or so ago, but now it is EVERYWHERE.

drat these unleveled bubbles!

Now let me tell you about atmospherics.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Might not be trendy but honestly find a brand teen boys wear. Plenty of teen dudes who are gangly as gently caress rocking 30x34 and poo poo.

Just might get way harder for business clothes unless you find the “mom made me go to a funeral” section.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Some of the ACFT pilot test results are in, and the results are mostly that the ACFT is extremely bad news if, say, you want women to pass PT tests.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Valtonen posted:

Or want to retain like 60% of senior NCOs in combat armswhere the threahold are the highest.

Maybe its actually a coverup to improve the Army by removing e-ranks 6-9?

I haven't been privy to super deep dives into specific MOS's, but the male pass rate is relatively high, sitting at high 70s, low 80s for passing in pilot phase for men of all ages. High scores drop off precipitously at older age, but the median and mean scores for men are pretty solidly centered on "pass" even for people in their 30s/40s.

I took a diagnostic ACFT, consider myself in "fine" but not particularly good shape, and passed the male combat arms standard with essentially zero prep except that I started working on pullups a few months ago and started doing a whopping 1-2 days/week of HIIT instead of my usual pushups and running/cycling PT.

I think my biggest prep for taking the combat arms standard ACFT was just pull ups and cutting some weight. Every event is easier when I weigh 10-15 pounds less.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The sprint drag carry isn’t the event crushing women’s passing rates. It’s the mix of leg tuck (number one reason), dead lift, and 2 mile run.

The sprint drag carry sucks to do, but was the event that most surprised me by how attainable a good score was. Also the SDC is funny cause you get to watch people lateral with jelly legs after pulling the sled.

As for why majors “love” doing staff PT: their BN commanders and brigade commanders tell them they better loving do staff PT or else. At ILE majors loving hate staff PT and there was considerable gnashing of teeth and whining when group PT was enforced as a 2x/week requirement at ILE.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
In various reports leading up to the ACFT, there were notes that test designers wanted to do away with the 2 mile run entirely, but the old guard wanted to keep it.

They've now made the argument that in order to test aerobic capacity, you need to do X level of activity for X number of minutes, and the 2 mile run ensures that even very fast runners are active that long.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
:nsamad:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/militarytimesop/status/1206222942042021888?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/usarmypao/status/1206725290992570368?s=21

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/Dubeeous/status/1206745729592635393?s=20

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
An Air Force officer called out "drinking while walking!" at me while I was sucking down a bottle of water in summer, and I thought she was joking, so I said sarcastically "yeah, i'm just a really lovely soldier," and she never spoke to me again unless she really had to.

Fuckin' wild.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

Air Force people are cool as gently caress, generally.

I work in a joint place and they are the most fun group to work around.

Yeah, which makes the rare weirdo hardass seem even weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

colachute posted:

I’ll take “poo poo that didn’t happen” for the daily double

Even more self-indulgent than stories of "let me tell you about when I was right and someone in a position of power was wrong," are the ones with a made up audience of onlookers gettin' ready to see some poo poo and jeering like it's an early 2000s movie dance-off.