Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Edge & Christian posted:

I haven't caught up on Inferior Five, but if anyone gets a pass for dipping too hard into the meta/fourth-wall breaking well after a book of theirs gets messed over I feel like it's Keith Giffen, he's been doing that/having that done to him for going on four decades.

I could be wrong, but I had thought that Inferior Five was supposed to be a meta book in the first place as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I haven't read it but the name alone gives a very meta vibe so yeah I wouldn't be shocked

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Roth posted:

I could be wrong, but I had thought that Inferior Five was supposed to be a meta book in the first place as well.

It was already supposed to be meta at some level, but it got a little to indulgent in it alongside the nostalgia appeal.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I'm trying to like Titans Academy but do people really give a poo poo about Red X?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Azubah posted:

I'm trying to like Titans Academy but do people really give a poo poo about Red X?

The same sort of people who care about Nightwing's relationship with Starfire (despite her having moved on, I think, way back in RHatO)

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Xelkelvos posted:

The same sort of people who care about Nightwing's relationship with Starfire (despite her having moved on, I think, way back in RHatO)

I thought RHatO had retconned to Tamaraneans seeing Romance differently than humans?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Star and Dick is a way better relationship than Dick and Babs

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Azubah posted:

They do not.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Roth posted:

Star and Dick is a way better relationship than Dick and Babs

I like Dick and Babs way more as exes that care a lot for each other than as an actual couple.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How about Dick and Roy tho

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

How about Dick and Roy tho

Skwirl posted:

I like Dick and Roy way more as exes that care a lot for each other than as an actual couple.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Somehow, for the longest time I just... never thought about the fact that Dick was paired up with both Starfire and Babs, so when I saw discussion about who his true love really was my mind just shorted for a bit and I was like, "why would he need to choose?", then I realised, but by that point the thought was there and frankly, if I could see anyone in the DCU with a happy polyamorous relationship, it would be Dick.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think that's partly because Teen Titans may as well be in a different publishing line than the Bat-titles most of the time.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Gaz-L posted:

I think that's partly because Teen Titans may as well be in a different publishing line than the Bat-titles most of the time.

Oh, that's absolutely part of it. Isn't Teen Titans handled by a different editing group than the Bat-titles?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

catlord posted:

Somehow, for the longest time I just... never thought about the fact that Dick was paired up with both Starfire and Babs, so when I saw discussion about who his true love really was my mind just shorted for a bit and I was like, "why would he need to choose?", then I realised, but by that point the thought was there and frankly, if I could see anyone in the DCU with a happy polyamorous relationship, it would be Dick.

Gotham's on the East coast, Titans are usually based on the West coast, seems like a classic two families situation.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

catlord posted:

It would fix the big issue of Dick looking like a serial womanizer who, in the same week, is macking on Babs, making out with Starfire, and sleeping with the girl of the week in his solo series.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

catlord posted:

:hmmyes: this is fiction yes so we could have a working poly relationship depicted

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

:hmmyes: this is fiction yes so we could have a working poly relationship depicted

Wonder Woman was invented by someone in a working polyamorous relationship.

Edit: Actually it was kinda similar to what I would expect a working polyamorous relationship between Dick, Babs and Starfire would look like.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Wonder Woman was invented by someone in a working polyamorous relationship.

Edit: Actually it was kinda similar to what I would expect a working polyamorous relationship between Dick, Babs and Starfire would look like.

1 woman working, 1 woman staying at home, 1 woman doing his office work, and the guy just doing whatever he wants?

I forgot about the sister wives guy! Another success story.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

1 woman working, 1 woman staying at home, 1 woman doing his office work, and the guy just doing whatever he wants?

I forgot about the sister wives guy! Another success story.

I thought Marsters only had two women and they stayed together after he died. And he was writing a hit comic so it's not like he was doing nothing.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I thought Marsters only had two women and they stayed together after he died. And he was writing a hit comic so it's not like he was doing nothing.

Nope he also had a sometimes live in secretary. Who knows if she participated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mr Hootington posted:

Nope he also had a sometimes live in secretary. Who knows if she participated.

The other women probably just needed a break.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Honestly, the game being as good as it was is amazing considering the shitshow it was behind the scenes with WB.

A buddy of mine was one of the leads on the game. The team was apparently incredibly frustrated by WB and others essentially kneecapping the design. I don’t know much more for details but recall thinking what they planned could have been something.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
A big part of it was they wanted Singer to sign off on everything and he was too busy assaulting teenage boys sulking in his trailer working on the movie to give a poo poo about the video game.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

So, I'm all for a Cass and Steph team-up story, so that sounds good. That said, that cover has some real '90s vibes.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

catlord posted:

So, I'm all for a Cass and Steph team-up story, so that sounds good. That said, that cover has some real '90s vibes.

https://twitter.com/search?q=sweeney%20boo&src=typed_query

Here's the artists twitter. The story is going to really good.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mr Hootington posted:

I had an idea for a DC story that I half sketched out*.
In it I wanted to have Nightwing marry Starfire, and Dick Grayson marry childhood sweetheart Barbara Gordon. Solves everything.

*=Basically the worlds Super Villains team up to take over the world. Lex Luthor throws a hissy fit midway through their plan because no-one is listening to his perfect vision and blows up all the villains. He then turns himself in, goes on trail and walks on a complicated "They came right at me, I feared for my life!" defence.
The rest of the story would have been how does DC's Hero Community function when like 99% of the super villain fraternity are dead.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Open Marriage Night posted:

https://twitter.com/search?q=sweeney%20boo&src=typed_query

Here's the artists twitter. The story is going to really good.

Huh, I hadn't heard of her before. I'm even more excited now though, I like her style. Cover is David Finch though, apparently.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Oh look, it's another "All of the GLs are depowered/gone" story. Nice to see Jo in the mix now though.

Batman's giving another morality play about Authoritarianism vs. Anarchism with the Authoritarians cast as the villains this go around. The Unsanity Collective is interesting enough I guess but more for their almost Batman Beyond era aesthetic.

Swamp Thing is reestablishing the new "normal" for the Green complete with Poison and Ivy which I think is something sorta following from the Harley and Ivy mini.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
My god! How come no one told me there was a crossover story between :love:Connor Hawke:love: and :allears:Kenan Kong:allears: in this Festival of Heroes special? It's canonically impossible...and yet it happened!

There are some very adorable stories in this book all around. Cass Cain appears in two of them, even. It's just too bad that, again, most of these are absolutely unable to fit into current continuity.

...or are they?

Well, probably not.

UNLESS THEY DO!...well, no.

But still

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Connor Hawke is probably gonna get reintroduced in the Robin series judging from what been hinted at. It'd also be a silly little naming juxtaposition: Hawke vs. Robin

Edit: The Emiko story was extremely cute and wholesome. I'm mixed on the "Monkey Prince" too since he's also supposed to be a Shazam character but really feels like someone's OC.

Xelkelvos fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 12, 2021

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
What! Is this good or bad? I mean...is the Robin series good?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

What! Is this good or bad? I mean...is the Robin series good?

It literally just started and Damian died. Again. As a cliffhanger (he'll probably be okay given the tournament he's fighting in is being run by a bunch of people controlling a lazarus pit). It's hard to say if it's good or bad atm since it's just starting but it feels a bit anime what with it being a kind of martial arts tournament.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Xelkelvos posted:

Connor Hawke is probably gonna get reintroduced in the Robin series judging from what been hinted at. It'd also be a silly little naming juxtaposition: Hawke vs. Robin

Edit: The Emiko story was extremely cute and wholesome. I'm mixed on the "Monkey Prince" too since he's also supposed to be a Shazam character but really feels like someone's OC.

He has already shown up in the prequel to the Robin series in detective and Batman

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Why are they reintroducing all the disparate Green Arrow family characters in Bat books?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Why are they reintroducing all the disparate Green Arrow family characters in Bat books?

Wasn't original Conner friends with Dick Grayson or Tim Drake? Makes sense if they are bringing him back to have him be friends with the new Robin. (I say new but Damion has been Robin for like 2 decades now, hasn't he?)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't original Conner friends with Dick Grayson or Tim Drake? Makes sense if they are bringing him back to have him be friends with the new Robin. (I say new but Damion has been Robin for like 2 decades now, hasn't he?)

Yeah, sure, but that's two erased from history characters showing up as supporting characters in bat books to characters that have absolutely no relationship to them. It's weird. Also Connor being friends with Tim and Dick is kind of in his age range, not really Damian.

What's next, Mia showing up in Nightwing? Cissy becoming the next Robin in Batman?

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 00:11 on May 14, 2021

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'd accept Mia showing up in anything, I love her

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

"Maybe we should just start a new Green Arrow book"
"Don't talk crazy, man, just put them in the Bat books!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Two Tone Shoes posted:

So they can appear in a book that sells before they’re killed or maimed in a poorly conceived event or crossover.