Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
They've had a bunch of Green Arrow books since the launch of New 52 and they all get canceled because no one buys them. People will always buy Bat family books so you either get Connor Hawke in Robin or you don't get Connor Hawke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
GA ran the entire length of New 52 and then a decent stretch of Rebirth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

How’s GA comics doing without a tv show? I love archer characters, but they’re a tough sell.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

GA ran the entire length of New 52 and then a decent stretch of Rebirth.

With the Jeff Lemire section this would not have happened.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Quite literally the odds are that any returning/debuting character will appear in a Bat Family book, because as of July 2021 solicitations the breakdown is:

BAT FAMILY: Batman (x2), Batman: The Adventure Continues, Batman: The Detective, Batman: Urban Legends, Batman/Catwoman, Batman: Reptilian, Batman Secret Files, Batman/Superman, Catwoman, Challenge of the Super Sons, Detective Comics (x2), Future State: Gotham, Harley Quinn, Legends of the Dark Knight, Nightwing, Robin, Joker, Next Batman: Second Son, Truth & Justice

NOT BAT FAMILY BUT BAT CHARACTERS ARE IN IT: Checkmate, Crime Syndicate, Justice League Infinity, Suicide Squad: Get Joker, Infinite Frontier (x2), Justice League (x2), Justice League: The Last Ride, RWBY/Justice League, Suicide Squad, Teen Titans Academy

NO BATS Action Comics, Blue & Gold, Shazam!, Crush & Lobo, Flash, Green Lantern, Mister Miracle, Rorschach, Sensational Wonder Woman, Strange Adventures, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, Superman: Red & Blue, Superman & The Authority, Superman: Son of Kal-El, Swamp Thing, Wonder Girl, Wonder Woman (x2), Wonder Woman Black & Gold

So 21 Bat Family books, 12 team books featuring Bat Family members, and 20 books that might not have anyone from Gotham in them.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 15, 2021

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Wait, did they cancel Action Comics?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RWBY/Justice League? I beg your pardon.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah it's another digital first Marguerite Bennett series. I feel like she's written a dozen of those by now.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

AS SHE SHOULD

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

What's Sandman Mystery Theatre like? I really enjoyed the crossover story in Gaiman's Sandman, though the two Sandmen meeting was a bit of a gimmick.

I enjoyed the art style and the noir styling. However it seems the reprints are a mess and I'd be reading it digitally.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gaz-L posted:

Wait, did they cancel Action Comics?
No, it was weirdly not on the first batch of solicits I found, but it's on the schedule for July. The baseline "Superman" books appears to be on hiatus in favor of the Son of Kal-El series though.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

frameset posted:

What's Sandman Mystery Theatre like? I really enjoyed the crossover story in Gaiman's Sandman, though the two Sandmen meeting was a bit of a gimmick.

I enjoyed the art style and the noir styling. However it seems the reprints are a mess and I'd be reading it digitally.

I loved it. It’s VERY dark though. The art is stylized and honestly kind of ugly but the story kept me hooked

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

frameset posted:

No city has ever had so many serial killers!

It is definitely one of my favorite Vertigo titles, and if you are into mystery stories it is a great read.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Some very bad poo poo happened this past week and I did my usual "retreat from the world" routine and picked up the Morrison Batman omni that I bought a few weeks ago. Killed volume one and flew through volume 2 so I had to order volume 3 last night. I'd forgotten how much I love GMo's Batman run. To kill time waiting on that last book to arrive I tore into the Snyder omni and I'd forgotten how drat strong that book was right out of the gate. I guess I just love some good Batmans.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
My friend dropped off a present for me on my porch!

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Dawgstar posted:

I'm not a RWBY fan by any means but I kind of like the art here.

The Bruce design is pretty fun.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah it's the type of crossover where it's introducing alternate world versions of the characters who just have always existed in that universe so you get things like the Bruce Wayne being a literal bat-man

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

yeah it's the type of crossover where it's introducing alternate world versions of the characters who just have always existed in that universe so you get things like the Bruce Wayne being a literal bat-man

Him having four ears bothers me.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Xelkelvos posted:

It looks like the only thing that makes him a "bat" are the ears and I agree, the four ears thing is stupidly weird

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

in RWBY world, the animal ears makes him an oppressed minority

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Xelkelvos posted:

https://twitter.com/foone/status/1338303327117832193?lang=en

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
they are clearly little wings

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

They aren't really ears, they're cancerous growths. He's dying. Yes, they're very painful.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, after it finally arrived, I've started reading the New Frontier omnibus. And despite not knowing much about him originally, I'm having quite a bit of fun with Martian Manhunter and his cop buddy, while "John Jones" makes quips like an old TV detective. :D (I'm not far into NF yet though, mind you)

Now I'm wondering... are there any good books that go more into MM/JJ? Not sure if Rebirth would be best, or a classic timeline to pair better with NF, though. I'd be very keen to get in on the zany detective action, either way!

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

I can't tell if it's funny ha ha or funny uh oh that I can't find a single reference to DC in any piece about the Warner Media/Discovery merger

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

I can't tell if it's funny ha ha or funny uh oh that I can't find a single reference to DC in any piece about the Warner Media/Discovery merger

The print comics was such a tiny, tiny part of Warner I doubt it will affect much, especially since they already tossed Geoff Johns, so he wouldn't have been involved in the movies going forward anyways.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah but like the CEO of Discovery isn't even bothering to be like "now I own Guys Fieri and Gardner," which is the first thing I would do in his situation, frankly

I don't really expect them to mention print, because lmao who even cares, but it's really something that shows about making open concept kitchens and also extremely large people are clearly a bigger feather in this cap than, like, Batman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

yeah but like the CEO of Discovery isn't even bothering to be like "now I own Guys Fieri and Gardner," which is the first thing I would do in his situation, frankly

I don't really expect them to mention print, because lmao who even cares, but it's really something that shows about making open concept kitchens and also extremely large people are clearly a bigger feather in this cap than, like, Batman

I think you vastly over estimate the odds of the CEO of Discovery knowing the names of any super hero less famous than Wonder Woman.

Edit: I bet a big part of the deal has to do with Warner having gently caress all in terms of reality programming which is both cheap to make and hugely popular.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 17, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

The print comics was such a tiny, tiny part of Warner I doubt it will affect much, especially since they already tossed Geoff Johns, so he wouldn't have been involved in the movies going forward anyways.

On the other hand, Superman and Batman are incredibly valuable IPs and you'd think there'd be even the slightest bit of interest what's going on with them.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

I'm a thousand percent kidding about my elevator pitch for GUYS making it to the desk of the dude who airs Dr Pimple Popper, I just cannot believe no one is talking about who owns, like, Wonder Woman now

Warner did some dramatic bloodletting under AT&T and it's wild that all DC has to show for it is maybe some percentage of a number of streaming subscribers mentioned offhand

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

I'm a thousand percent kidding about my elevator pitch for GUYS making it to the desk of the dude who airs Dr Pimple Popper, I just cannot believe no one is talking about who owns, like, Wonder Woman now

Warner did some dramatic bloodletting under AT&T and it's wild that all DC has to show for it is maybe some percentage of a number of streaming subscribers mentioned offhand

Warner owns DC, so this new company will own DC and AT&T will have a 71% stake in the company.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

frameset posted:

Thanks to this post I have just started reading the series.

It's good. It holds up well for a series from the 90's. The racism in the first arc, I mean I know it's part of the plot but also I think it would be handled much differently if done today.

What I do find so interesting is how Dian Belmount is the main character. Not only that but how so far, Wesley Dodd's has so little development, and the Sandman almost none.

It's like a Batman book done from the perspective of James Gordon, with the Batman being this absolute cypher.
Pretty cool touch. I'm also shocked that WB wanted to make an Hourman procedural show and not a Sandman one, when his whole deal seems perfect for TV.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

yeah, I understand that, I brought it up because none of the releases I saw bothered to mention what is, one would think, a significant chunk of IP; most of the reporting is about streaming subs and not actual product lines. I do not know if that is good or bad for DC itself, but I'm sure no one at DC does either, at this point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

Pretty cool touch. I'm also shocked that WB wanted to make an Hourman procedural show and not a Sandman one, when his whole deal seems perfect for TV.

Probably don't want it confused with the Netflix Sandman show. They're better now than they used to be about not wanting the same characters in both a movie and a tv show, but that would be two different tv shows with the word Sandman in the title.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Skwirl posted:

Probably don't want it confused with the Netflix Sandman show. They're better now than they used to be about not wanting the same characters in both a movie and a tv show, but that would be two different tv shows with the word Sandman in the title.

The Hourman show was talked about years ago (like around Season 2 of Arrow, so maybe 6 years ago.) Long before the Netflix Sandman series.

Funnily enough the two Sandman comics ran at the same time and so they needed distinct names to avoid confusion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

The Hourman show was talked about years ago (like around Season 2 of Arrow, so maybe 6 years ago.) Long before the Netflix Sandman series.

Funnily enough the two Sandman comics ran at the same time and so they needed distinct names to avoid confusion.

It's safe to assume someone at Warner has been working on some level on a Sandman tv show or movie pretty much constantly since the early 90s

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

yeah, I understand that, I brought it up because none of the releases I saw bothered to mention what is, one would think, a significant chunk of IP; most of the reporting is about streaming subs and not actual product lines. I do not know if that is good or bad for DC itself, but I'm sure no one at DC does either, at this point.

The BBC's article mentioned Warner owning Batman.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I was thinking of getting the Asian Superhero Special for my 10 year old nephew, who is half-asian. He gets really excited when he sees characters like him in media. However, how (in)appropriate is it for someone his age? I'd appreciate some advice from those who've read it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

frameset posted:

I was thinking of getting the Asian Superhero Special for my 10 year old nephew, who is half-asian. He gets really excited when he sees characters like him in media. However, how (in)appropriate is it for someone his age? I'd appreciate some advice from those who've read it.

I don't know about that book specifically, but the writer has done several all-ages books and the stuff that wasn't explicitly marked all ages I've read by him didn't have anything I would think inappropriate for a ten year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

frameset posted:

From reading it, I don't think that there's anyrthing in it that'd be in appropriate for a 10yo boy other than maybe some grade school level racism from a bunch of white guys.