Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I love that someone went "Hey guys how do we commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Death of Superman" and the response was "Again but MORE"

I wonder if this means we'll get four competing versions of the Justice League

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love that someone went "Hey guys how do we commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Death of Superman" and the response was "Again but MORE"

I wonder if this means we'll get four competing versions of the Justice League

We have four competing versions of the justice league at home.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Four Justice Leagues? Ah hell, we’re gonna need another Joker.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

Isn't he writing the JLA LoSH book?

It's just a six issue mini, so I am curious if he has a book after that. Naomi 2 is the same length, so it might also depend on the response to that.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

So how long before Bendis leaves DC? Seems like his run there has been a flop and now he's only writing Naomi.

It hasn't been a flop, it just hasn't been a handful of immense hits like his Marvel stuff.
Like he wasn't given a special Ultimate-like book, or an occasion to do a massive Avengers reboot.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yannick_B posted:

It hasn't been a flop, it just hasn't been a handful of immense hits like his Marvel stuff.
Like he wasn't given a special Ultimate-like book, or an occasion to do a massive Avengers reboot.

They gave him the keys to Superman (pushing the best team off the book), let him do the ID reveal, let him totally relaunch the LOSH (again) and the whole Leviathan thing.

DC gave him pretty much every chance to Marvel it up and nothing caught on.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Bendis did a creator owned imprint, a long-ish Superman run, a pretty fun Batman self contained story, a pretty fun Young Justice, a brand new character getting all the support in the world (mostly from Bendis) and a Justice League arc that pretty much tied into every other thing he has been doing.
I feel like he has been given free reign to do whatever he wanted. It just hasn't been great. I would have loved him to do some more second tier character stuff instead of Superman and Justice League but I don't think he was editorially mandated as much as others or told no ever.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is David walker co writing this new Naomi book again or is it just bendis this time

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Batman Universe was a ton of fun, and probably the highlight of his solo DC output so far. I think Wonder Comics is a good idea for a demographic to target, but I guess what the hell do I know. DC certainly doesn't care about comics for younger people.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

DC certainly doesn't care about comics for younger people.

https://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Nove...884061192&psc=1

And that's from 2020, with like a dozen more digest-sized stories for kids out since then.

mrchoupon
Jun 3, 2001

site posted:

is David walker co writing this new Naomi book again or is it just bendis this time

The DC preview lists Walker as a co-writer.

I just dropped Justice League from my pull list. I think I’m ready for a Bendis break. His recent books haven’t been terrible but definitely have not stood out. It may just be that I’ve been reading his books on a consistent basis for the last 17 plus years but his dialogue idiosyncrasies have started to grate on me.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Space Fish posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Graphic-Nove...884061192&psc=1

And that's from 2020, with like a dozen more digest-sized stories for kids out since then.

Yeah, those do OK at my store but what I actually meant was standard comic book formatted books. The teen line is a great addition honestly.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/Steph_I_Will/status/1483854167051587607

So how is Diana's corner of the DC Universe these days?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

https://twitter.com/Steph_I_Will/status/1483854167051587607

Everything except the lead story in the main title is great. Ayala, Williams and Jones are all hitting lots of the right notes for me.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jan 21, 2022

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Dawgstar posted:

Pretty good. I mean, until she f'ing dies again in a couple months, I guess :sweatdrop:

The main WW book feels like it's doing a bit of treading water right now, but it's also, like...decent enough. A lot more interesting stuff is happening in Nubia and the Amazons, which is trying and...kinda?..?....?...succeeding to make Nubia feel like a compelling character when she doesn't actually have any canon, and the small amounts of stories she has appeared in don't make any sense with current continuity. Like, the main story right now is that she used to be Guardian of Doom's Doorway, which never happened, and has a deep tumultuous history with Medusa, which also never happened, and also this Medusa is different from the Medusa that Diana fought before in, like, the most notorious Wonder Woman showdown of all time...so, basically, this book has to cobble a lot of gravitas together from telling us about all this stuff that happened before that we've never seen and goes in fact against what we have seen. :sweatdrop:

Wonder Girl just got cancelled, but she also has a series coming out along with this crossover, soooo technically her book won't really end until...whenever that ends. Will it get rebooted again, after that point? Who knows. :sweatdrop:

The crossover looks interesting to me in a "I really hope they know what they're doing" kind of way. Why are the girls fighting? Who knows! The solicits list five writers for the first issue which is like...well. Okay. I really hope they know what they're doing. :sweatdrop:

Honestly, the best WW book to have come out in years and years is Wonder Woman Historia: The Amazons, which doesn't actually have anything to do with any of the above and like, to be blunt, kinda curbed my enthusiasm for a lot of the mainline stuff. Not that I don't like the main stuff that's happening but, really, all of it pales in comparison to how excited I am for Historia #2, which isn't even gonna be out until April. Seriously, let me know when Deconnick gets to take over the main title. That would get me hyped lol.

.....but uh. Yeah. the WW corner is doing...pretty good. :sweatdrop:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Decades? Amazons Attack was 20+ years ago?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Uh the solicit lists 5 writers because it's the teams from all 3 books? 2 of which are being written by duos

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Yeah but even most crossover books only have one main writer. Which makes sense, as it should be one main story with many different characters, not many different stories with one main character.

It could end well. 52 had a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Or it might end up kinda stilted; I can't remember the last time we had a book written like this.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

"The First Wonder Woman Crossover In Decades" sounds like a really cool thing for all of half a second before you start to think 'wait why hasn't one of the Big 3 had a crossover in decades.'

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Well I either picked a bad time or a passable time to tune back in ...

Another LSH? Is this a book(?) relaunch of the same (Bendis) take, or another reboot, or we don't know yet?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Abroham Lincoln posted:

"The First Wonder Woman Crossover In Decades" sounds like a really cool thing for all of half a second before you start to think 'wait why hasn't one of the Big 3 had a crossover in decades.'

It's not even true! There was Amazons Attack like Rhyno said (which included Wonder Woman, Teen Titans, Catwoman, and of course Amazons Attack), Sacrifice (Wonder Woman, Superman, Action Comics, and Adventures of Superman), and probably more in the interim.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

probably the first crossover between multiple books with 'Wonder Woman' in the title in a long time, if ever, though.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Karma Tornado posted:

probably the first crossover between multiple books with 'Wonder Woman' in the title in a long time, if ever, though.

Because she's the only one of the Trinity that never has multiple ongoing titles ever. They were double shipping for a while and I always felt they should've just done Sensation Comics as a separate title instead. If only to make it clear WW was being given the same treatment as Bats and Superman as a character and IP.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Gaz-L posted:

Because she's the only one of the Trinity that never has multiple ongoing titles ever. They were double shipping for a while and I always felt they should've just done Sensation Comics as a separate title instead. If only to make it clear WW was being given the same treatment as Bats and Superman as a character and IP.

right, so it's a technically correct advertising line if we're using the original definition of crossover, which isn't really how anyone thinks of it anymore, so everybody is like "but Amazons Attack??"

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Abroham Lincoln posted:

What a wildly outdated view of DC Comics. Good lord. Obviously the Big Three are Batman, Nightwing, and Batman again in a different title.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
uhh actually it's the 3 jokers

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I mean, to be fair, I totally understand DC wanting to pretend Amazons Attack! didn't happen.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah but even most crossover books only have one main writer. Which makes sense, as it should be one main story with many different characters, not many different stories with one main character.

It could end well. 52 had a lot of cooks in the kitchen. Or it might end up kinda stilted; I can't remember the last time we had a book written like this.

What crossover books do you think of when you say

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah but even most crossover books only have one main writer
?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Like...any one with characters from books that writers don't usually write. Any one of the recent X-Men crossovers would be a good example, from Inferno to Trials of Magneto to X of Swords. Empyre. That Dormammu thing in space. Devil's Reign. etc.

What crossover books are people thinking of that has five writers credited on the title? I'm sure there are some, but they aren't all that common.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
If the crossover goes through several titles I assume that the writers of those titles write the crossover issue. If the thing isn't a crossover but an event ie: a limited series starring some heroes then it usually has one or so writers. That's generally how I view crossover events. Sometimes it helps when one writer is writing several books so the crossover goes through all their titles but it has only one writer, but usually if the crossover happens in several different titles than there are several writers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

BrianWilly posted:

Like...any one with characters from books that writers don't usually write. Any one of the recent X-Men crossovers would be a good example, from Inferno to Trials of Magneto to X of Swords. Empyre. That Dormammu thing in space. Devil's Reign. etc.

What crossover books are people thinking of that has five writers credited on the title? I'm sure there are some, but they aren't all that common.

None of those are crossovers. :confused:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I'd ask what people think crossovers are then but I feel like we're veering pretty wildly off-course here?

In any big story event (do we have to define "event" too?) that encompasses multiple books with multiple writers, sure, you could say that there are multiple writers writing this event/crossover/whatever. By this metric, roughly ten to twenty writers, or more, are "responsible" for writing Infinite Crisis or Death Metal.

It is still really rare for individual books of this event, or individual issues, to be credited towards as many as three or four writers, much less five, which is what's happening here. Presumably there's no main writer helming the story then, as in, we can't say Trial of the Amazons is Vita Ayala's "story," or Becky Cloonan's, or Stephanie Williams', in the same way that we might say Inferno was Hickman's. I don't actually remember the last time this happened. I think 52 might outright be the only other case.

And as 52 shows, this might not be a bad thing; it's not as if having only one main helmsperson guarantees any quality. But it is pretty rare...and honestly, too many writers credited to one story is often a bad sign in a lot of non-comics productions. Most movies or TV shows with too many writers credited all at once often get the rep of being very convoluted precisely because it had too many writers, though of course it's hard to tell for sure.

Hence:
"I really hope they know what they're doing."

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 22, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, but if, let's say, Superman, Action Comics and LOSH crossed over, and had a separate bookend issue for the start and end of the crossover, would it be unusual for the writer for each of the 3 titles to have a role in those bookends? Because that's literally all that's happening here. Ayala and Williams are the 'writer' on Nubia, because they're credited as a pair. Just like Cloonan and Conrad on Wonder Woman.

Hell, in the example of X Of Swords, the bookends WERE written by Hickman and Tini Howard, because the story was primarily considered an X-Men/Excalibur crossover.

And to clarify: Fear State and No Man's Land were crossovers. COIE and Secret Wars were events.

I'm also very hopeful Ayala in particular has a lot of their voice in this thing, though. I'm much less ambivalent on Nubia than you, because I'm not getting myself tied in knots over the specifics of the continuity. And hell, they're outright SHOWING backstory to illustrate her importance as well as doing a bang up job of making the island feel like a real place populated by women who can disagree and not just a monolith of 'perfection'.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 22, 2022

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Crossovers are smaller scale while events are a bit bigger in scope

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You're conflating crossovers and events/miniseries and I think that is where the confusion lies.

Though I tend to agree with your greater point that too many cooks in the kitchen usually doesn't lead to a particularly good story.

(If I were to define a "crossover" it's a story where the main narrative takes place across multiple series, typically by multiple writers. This is in contrast to an event or miniseries where the main narrative takes place in one series typically by one writer, though there may be tie-ins in other series potentially by other writers.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, a crossover is when the start of a story happens in one book and then the rest of the story happens in different books, maybe it ends in the same book it started and maybe it doesn't.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So this "Death of the JL" thing, it's pretty much going to leave them stranded on that Earth outside the Orrey of Worlds that Darkseid was hanging out in and trying to put a leash on a Black Lantern?

Some hilariously decimated Earth 2 leftovers from Infinite Crisis that Barry found?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Just found out that one of the stories in Batman: Urban Legends is by a South African writer and I'm really quite impressed with how DC is finding some international voices atm

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Madkal posted:

Just found out that one of the stories in Batman: Urban Legends is by a South African writer and I'm really quite impressed with how DC is finding some international voices atm

It is. Same with their YA content that they're putting out and just trying to reach out beyond the standard comic book crowd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Based on solicitaitons, the format of Trial of the Amazons appears to be:

Part 1: Trial of the Amazons #1 (written by Cloonan/Conrad, Jones, Ayala/Williams)
Part 2: Nubia & the Amazons #6 (written by Ayala/Williams)
Part 3: Wonder Woman #785 (written by Cloonan/Conrad)
Part 4: TotA: Wonder Girl (written by Jones)
Part 5: Wonder Woman #786 (written by Cloonan/Conrad)
Part 6: ToTA: Wonder Girl (written by Jones)
Part 7: Trial of the Amazons #2 (written by Cloonan/Conrad, Jones, Ayala/Williams)

This isn't very similar to 52 at all, which was 52 issues all co-written by four people. That particular thing (which Trial of the Amazons is not doing) hasn't really been done since, that's true. I suppose the closest high profile example I can think of would be Avengers: No Surrender and Avengers: No Way Home which smooshed together all three writers (Waid/Ewing/Zub) writing Avengers books into one Avengers book for twelve issues and then again for twelve individual issues. That's what what is going on for Trial of the Amazons, which has everyone retaining their own book while collaborating on bookends.

X of Swords honestly seems like a decent comparison, since that was also a book with a small number of "X of Swords" standalone comics co-written by people working on X-Men books (Hickman & Howard) and then the story went into individual X-Men books written by their respective regular writers before concluding with another "X of Swords" comic at the end co-written by Hickman/Howard.

Another comparison might be something like the "Infinite Frontier #0" one-shot that DC put out last year, which was technically co-written by Bendis, Tynion IV, Cloonan/Conrad, Jones, Sheridan, Johnson, Williamson, Johns, and Thorne and was ostensibly a single story but was really like ten interweaving teasers for what all of those writers would be doing in their own books. Marvel's done a ton of those over the years (2009's Dark Reign: New Nation, 2012's Point One, 2014's All-New Point One, 2015's Avengers #0, 2017's Marvel Legacy, X-Men Prime, Inhumans Prime, and 2019's Incoming!) though those also aren't an exact match as not all of the books spinning out of these one-shots continue to crossover after the initial 'event' book.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 23, 2022