Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

These just arrived from an eBay seller who did a beautiful job packing them. I already had the TPB with #1-11, and this is #14-50. Now I just need to find #12, 13, and the two Annuals to have the complete set, and then I can finally read the entire series for the first time.

I have the last four issues I'm missing hopefully arriving on Monday, and today I was overjoyed to find this guy at a local comic shop for only $20. He was missing the original rifle, but at least he had his revolver in the holster, and I equipped him with Classified Zartan's sniper rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/endure_gif/status/1485116050404671489

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
One neat thing from the recent issues of Superman was Damien immediately knowing without Jon having to tell him, and being totally chill. (Also the fun scene where he and Jon's boyfriend both bust into STAR to get info... only for Lois to have beaten both of them to the punch)

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Wasn't superboy 10 during this period? I disapprove of the picture.

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Gaz-L posted:

One neat thing from the recent issues of Superman was Damien immediately knowing without Jon having to tell him, and being totally chill. (Also the fun scene where he and Jon's boyfriend both bust into STAR to get info... only for Lois to have beaten both of them to the punch)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm glad Dr. Manhattan failed and DC characters have friends again.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

I mean, I think pretending to be an employee to gain access is fraud and trespassing, maybe even industrial espionage, so kinda pot-kettle Ms Lane-Kent

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm glad Dr. Manhattan failed and DC characters have friends again.

For now

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I don't want it to happen, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's another era of Clark Kent not being married to Lois Lane again in my lifetime.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaz-L posted:

I mean, I think pretending to be an employee to gain access is fraud and trespassing, maybe even industrial espionage, so kinda pot-kettle Ms Lane-Kent

yeah but at least Lois isn't a minor

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jay (Jon's boyfriend) is a college student, I think? Damien, ya got me. (Although this artist does seem to draw him as like 16 instead of what, like, 13?)

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That art is depicting Jon from before he was aged up, so he’s like 13 there.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
We talking about the twitter art? Not to be too technical about random slash fanart, but and Damian joined the Titans at thirteen, and Jon was always supposed to be a couple years younger than Damian, so yeah Jon is actually about ten in that picture, before the Bendis age-up.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Gaz-L posted:

Crimes aren't crimes if you're doing them because you might win a Pulitzer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So Peacemaker has been popping up in a bunch of books and is getting some one shots in the near future. This is obviously because he was the breakout character from TSS (he got his own show).
And in the show, Vigilante I clearly becoming the fan favorite character. So I wonder how long it will take DC to resurrect Adrian Chase, a character that has been dead since 1987.
Yeah they used the names on Arrow, but they changed everything to the point that Adrian Chase wasn't a real person and Vigilante was a separate person. Next to nobody cared about that incarnation, the Peacemaker version is already blowing up in popularity.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I just hope it means DC releases the rest of the Vigilante series in trade form.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Rhyno posted:

So Peacemaker has been popping up in a bunch of books and is getting some one shots in the near future. This is obviously because he was the breakout character from TSS (he got his own show).
And in the show, Vigilante I clearly becoming the fan favorite character. So I wonder how long it will take DC to resurrect Adrian Chase, a character that has been dead since 1987.
Yeah they used the names on Arrow, but they changed everything to the point that Adrian Chase wasn't a real person and Vigilante was a separate person. Next to nobody cared about that incarnation, the Peacemaker version is already blowing up in popularity.

Madkal posted:

I just hope it means DC releases the rest of the Vigilante series in trade form.

I tracked down all the back issues in record time, and now I'm hunting for the seven issues of New Teen Titans vol. 1 with Adrian Chase's pre-Vigilante appearances, so this means they will probably publish some new collected editions.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

Wasn't superboy 10 during this period? I disapprove of the picture.

A ten year old kissing their crush on the cheek? Doesn't seem super controversial to me. I don't know if you went to school but this happens quite frequently!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I tracked down all the back issues in record time, and now I'm hunting for the seven issues of New Teen Titans vol. 1 with Adrian Chase's pre-Vigilante appearances, so this means they will probably publish some new collected editions.

I've looked at a few auctions and it's hilarious that eBay sellers are trying super hard to make the first appearance of the third Vigilante a key issue.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's DC, so they will release the first volume, then when no one buys it (since everyone who cares about Vigilante already did), they'll cancel releasing any more.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Deathstroke Inc. finally got interesting. Took a while.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Am I going to regret this third GMo Wonder Woman Earth One?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

^burtle posted:

Am I going to regret this third GMo Wonder Woman Earth One?

IMO, probably. Paquette draws the heck out of it, but Morrison clearly has a very particular take on WW based on their interpretation of the original Golden Age stories which links in with some kind of messed up strawman arguments about feminism and the whole thing kind of ends up as a mess.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Read Volume 3 of Wonder Woman Earth One, if anything! It indulges a lot of people's Themysciran wish list items (out and proud lesbianism, taming modern patriarchy, cool+weird Amazon tech, a story about Amazons where they're getting poo poo done and not fighting amongst themselves or getting blown up).

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Crimes aren't crimes if you're doing them because you might win a Pulitzer.

Crimes are a fake concept. Like 90 percent of what super heroes do is absolutely illegal, they only get checked on it when it threatens State power, if it reinforces State power no one cares.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just wanted to post on some of the DC comics I've been reading;

Human Target has been great, I love King's writing and I REALLY love Smallwood's art. I also love the fact that the story revolves around the members of the original JLI. In a smiliar vein I've also been enjoying Blue & Gold, which is just a fun Booster and Beetle story.

Superman '78 finished up this week. Pretty solid series in my opinion. I liked the cameo by the Goonies in the last issue, now I'll have to go back and look for other references to Richard Donner films

Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow has been, pretty good. Evely and Lopes' art is TERRIFIC, but the story is, while not bad, does feel kind of derivative and is basically True Grit with Supergirl.

Finally is anyone else reading One-Star Squadron? I've got kinda mixed feelings about the series. It feels like it's trying to do what Formerly Known as the Justice League did, but with a focus on the current gig economy and an a more dramatic tone. It's the mix of drama and comedy that doesn't really work, but kinda does (it's hard to explain). I also don't like how they have Power Girl working in what is supposed to be a group of C and D list heroes (I also don't like that they have Plastic Man there too). They also have her set up to be the antagonist of the series, which I'm not a fan of. I still remember her run back 10 years ago with Amanda Conner and it being a lot of fun.

Of course the problem with Power Girl in the modern climate is that not only is she named Karen, she has the stereotypical haircut of one too.

She looks like she'll be asking for a manager.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Mark Russel is the writer for One-Star Squadron so if you've read the recent Snagglepuss, The Flintstones, or Wonder Twins book, then you'll have an idea of what they're doing as they tread the line between comedy and drama and the handling of real issues. That Power Girl is in the role she is in is probably intentional.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Russell is kind of hit or miss for me. When he's on, he hits really hard (some issues of Flintstones, his run of Prez, part of his Red Sonja) but other times he gets a bit too wrapped up in a bit and forgets to make the character's remotely relatable.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Following the sterile French Dispatch movie, you've got me wishing for a (A-game) Russell screenplay directed by Wes Anderson.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

I feel like this whole Superman on Warworld story is going to read amazingly in retrospect, when it's all finished and done and collected. But for now it's........kinda slow, isn't it? Are we really going to follow the day-to-day slow crawl of Superman winning over the entire indoctrinated masses of this whole-rear end planet bit by bit, person by person?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
don't know anything about her but hope the change in management is for the best

https://twitter.com/graemem/status/1486399968160063488

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Rhyno posted:

There is one DC character with the name Chase I care about, and that is Cameron Chase.
Bring her back. They could make an excellent procedural based show about her dealing with DC villains all the while her main target I'd Dr. Trapp.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

The Question IRL posted:

There is one DC character with the name Chase I care about, and that is Cameron Chase.
Bring her back. They could make an excellent procedural based show about her dealing with DC villains all the while her main target I'd Dr. Trapp.

She was in the Supergirl comics after Rebirth as the head of the DEO. But yeah, she should be used more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Cameron Chase was in the infinity frontier book. One of the main characters even.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

I'm genuinely shocked Bendis didn't dig her up for his Checkmate. But then again she was more a Rucka creation, right?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Cameron Chase was in Bendis's Action Comics as part of the "Invisible Mafia" storyline, which did tie into Leviathan but she was not in Checkmate proper. Cameron Chase was created by Dan Curtis Johnson and JH Williams III back in the 1990s, and to my knowledge was only written by Greg Rucka super briefly in the OMAC Project mini-series. Like, briefly enough that flipping through the book she appears in a couple of panels with no speaking lines.

Maybe you're thinking of Sasha Boudreaux?

Oh wait, apparently she was a major supporting character in the New 52 Batwoman, which makes sense since JHW3 was co-creator of the character. That was after Rucka left, but I could see that being a source of conflation.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 27, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think it's the JH3 thing combined with her being superficially the type of woman Rucka tends to enjoy writing, yes

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

The 80s outsiders series is pretty good. Melodramatic in the way that era was, but enjoyable. Halo is a very OP character. Too bad she isn't used much anymore. Her original costume is better than the new one too.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jan 28, 2022

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

The other thing about Cameron Chase is that she was cool as hell in all the books you guys just mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

So like...the perp in the Human Target has to be Ice, right? I mean I'm not too clear on the details here...but it kinda has to be, or else why are we seeing so much of her?