Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
“Walked in the bank, exchanged a dollar for two rolls.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/illusClaire/status/1251195583336939522

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Holy poo poo gently caress DC

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1251231648911409152

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
not exactly shocking, but it sounds more and more like the 5G initiative and the Generation 1-5 one-shots leading up to it are completely dead, not merely being reworked

https://www.denofgeek.com/comics/dark-nights-death-metal-rebuilds-the-dc-multiverse/

quote:

Naturally, a book whose start gets pushed back because of a pandemic-induced society wide shutdown is going to shift a little bit, but the pandemic isn’t the only thing that changed what Death Metal is. “DC changed first. Dan [DiDio, former co-publisher of DC] left, and on top of that, the line changed in terms of what we were planning after 2020. …Everything has been fluid, but [Death] Metal has stayed what it was,” Snyder says. “The only thing that changed is the context. And what changed when the landscape for DC changed on the other side of it, and when editorial changed with Dan exiting, was just that we no longer had to be constrained by any timeframe of what was going to happen on the other side at all, so we got to expand.

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 11, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I had a feeling this was going to happen even before the pandemic. People were mad that DC was doing the same thing as Marvel by replacing all their main characters with women and minorities. And DC fans seem more resistant to change than Marvel fans when it comes to the idea of stuff like that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

5G felt like such a weird top-down mandate instead of something that people had organically come to decide was a good idea.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

5G felt like such a weird top-down mandate instead of something that people had organically come to decide was a good idea.

Not just that, but also a weird knee-jerk over-correction from New 52:

“So you guys don’t like it when the characters have NO history, huh? Well now we’re going to give them TOO MUCH history! We got Golden Age guys, we got Silver Age guys! We got guys from ages we don’t even have NAMES for yet! gently caress it, there were 12 Flashes now! Six Batmans, a bunch of Supermans, who gives a poo poo?”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Calling it 5G at the same time as the new phone spectrum came out always felt weird to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Didio had lots of stupid ideas so I'm sure 5G was all him.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Splint Chesthair posted:

Not just that, but also a weird knee-jerk over-correction from New 52:

“So you guys don’t like it when the characters have NO history, huh? Well now we’re going to give them TOO MUCH history! We got Golden Age guys, we got Silver Age guys! We got guys from ages we don’t even have NAMES for yet! gently caress it, there were 12 Flashes now! Six Batmans, a bunch of Supermans, who gives a poo poo?”

Does this mean FLASH MOB will be a new, company-wide event?

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

Rhyno posted:

Didio had lots of stupid ideas so I'm sure 5G was all him.

Wasn't that stated to be the case and probably one of the reasons he got poo poo canned.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I just finished Harleen and it's...fantastic? I mean, the art is carrying a bunch of the weight (Oh, Stjepan Sejic...how far we've come from the "To...grab on to you?" days) but the story also actually feels very sophisticated and effective.

It also pulls off the hat trick of exploring Batman's no-kill policy without...quite...going off the rails. I still don't feel like it really...gets it?...as in Yes, Batman does have hope, but this is an insane ridiculous question to ask in the first place, why in god's name do you want a masked vigilante killing the criminals that he can otherwise safely apprehend...but at least no one's asking why Batman doesn't just kill the Arkham inmates for everyone, but more like people are asking why the actual people in charge don't do it, and whether these monsters are redeemable or not is a huge part of the narrative. It's at least a step up.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Something about this spread is really cool to me, even if the art style itself isn't one of my most favorite.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's cool how Lois Lane turned out to be a kinda-sequel to Final Crisis: Revelations

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

So is Diamond going to ship the books DC has published already on the 20th?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Oh Rucka you whore how you tease me with post-Crisis Wondy in that spread :saddowns:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

So is Diamond going to ship the books DC has published already on the 20th?

Yeah

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Just read that the last two issues of Supergirl are going to be digital only, with their only physical release being part of a TPB collection. That sucks.

I wonder if there will be more DC books close to their ends that will get the same treatment.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Pitwar posted:

Just read that the last two issues of Supergirl are going to be digital only, with their only physical release being part of a TPB collection. That sucks.

I wonder if there will be more DC books close to their ends that will get the same treatment.

The Terrifics is the same.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

frameset posted:

The Terrifics is the same.

This is disappointing as it and Aquaman are the only DC titles I collect in single issues, but honestly Terrifics lasted much longer than I expected anyway I can't be mad.

Thanks DC for doing my favorite modern Fantastic Four run :unsmith:

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Yeah, I expected it to get cancelled a long time ago, honestly. I'm glad we got more Mister Terrific, he's someone I always thought wasn't used enough, but maybe sparingly is fine.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did that Terrifics issue with Ted Kord Blue Beetle on the cover ever come out, or is that one of the digital-only casualties?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have to say, watching people praise DC for pushing product out to retailers during the pandemic and then those same people losing their loving poo poo over these canceled physical releases has made my drat week.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I have to say, watching people praise DC for pushing product out to retailers during the pandemic and then those same people losing their loving poo poo over these canceled physical releases has made my drat week.

Extremely same. It makes a ton of sense for them to cancel these books anyway, but I will personally lose money on not selling these books to customers. Luckily, they all mostly sell so poorly it is only annoying. Some people are so bitter that they canceled that dreadful Supergirl book, but once the Artgerm covers stopped it was dead anyway.

Getting new books in this week is a novelty

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a shame a book with Marc Andreyko and Kevin By God Maguire can't at least be 'decent.'

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

DC just seems incapable of letting a Supergirl comic tell its own stories. The current series has spent the past two years dicking around on the periphery of what's going on in I guess Superman and it really hurts. The show adjacent status quo they gave her in Rebirth was a solid foundation for some good stories, and they tossed it out without ever really doing much with it. It probably doesn't help that I don't read much DC these days so all the hooks into the wider world just leave me confused.

Really the only positive I have is that Krypto is an extremely good dog, 14/10 would space road trip with in an instant,

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

It's a shame a book with Marc Andreyko and Kevin By God Maguire can't at least be 'decent.'

Yeah, I was really let down by it. Kevin Maguire is my favorite artist, so I bought every issue he did the interiors of. They should definitely let Andreyko do a new Manhunter run but I don't see Bendis letting her get away from his clutches.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

howe_sam posted:

DC just seems incapable of letting a Supergirl comic tell its own stories. The current series has spent the past two years dicking around on the periphery of what's going on in I guess Superman and it really hurts. The show adjacent status quo they gave her in Rebirth was a solid foundation for some good stories, and they tossed it out without ever really doing much with it. It probably doesn't help that I don't read much DC these days so all the hooks into the wider world just leave me confused.

Sending a lot of characters out into space for issues on end really feels like the kiss of death. Strictly speaking personally if we're going to make Kara a fish out of water and grow an attachment to her new family we want to see her do such on Earth. It's probably telling that the longest-running and most well-regarded Supergirl series took place in the same small town for like 90% of its run.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Sending a lot of characters out into space for issues on end really feels like the kiss of death.

RIP the characters of Justice League Odyssey I guess

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I mean... Yeah?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The last issue of Taylor's DCeased ongoing was really good. Gave me a bit of the feels with a certain Cassandra Cain-related moment, but that was by no means the only one.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
How much do I need to know/read before getting into the Super Sons line? Obviously I know who the sons are, and other basic stuff. But as I recall Damien died at some point so if he's back for this particular run... well that sounds like background info I should know the hows and whys to.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Nah, I wouldn't worry about it.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I've made it to the year 1970 in all the Batman titles except Brave and the Bold which I do not know what to do with.

The book is getting the more moder art and the stories are trying to become more mature. The best stories are still those with the gimmick villains.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

OscarDiggs posted:

How much do I need to know/read before getting into the Super Sons line? Obviously I know who the sons are, and other basic stuff. But as I recall Damien died at some point so if he's back for this particular run... well that sounds like background info I should know the hows and whys to.

Damien did die and come back but it never factors in to the Super Sons book, so you're good. If you really need to know, I'm sure it's all on Wikipedia along with citations of what books to read.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

TwoPair posted:

Damien did die and come back but it never factors in to the Super Sons book, so you're good. If you really need to know, I'm sure it's all on Wikipedia along with citations of what books to read.

Alright then, thanks.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Super Sons are on the pile of good things DC basically canceled for no good reason along with DickBats

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

Super Sons are on the pile of good things DC basically canceled for no good reason along with DickBats

Bendis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

TwoPair posted:

It’s also written by the same guy who does supersons. It’s all in second volume of Batman and Robin.