Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

chaosapiant posted:

Is King’s 100 issue run if Batman done, and was it any good? I have all 10 volumes of the New 52 poo poo and enjoyed pretty much all of it, and would like to continue along the storyline with Rebirth. But the mixed reactions in this thread and my backlog of unread classics makes me hesitant.

Results may vary and the run was 85 issues. I would be curious to read how it goes in the long run but reading it as singles seemed to drag at places and there was clear padding. I generally like King more than some posters here but he does have his hang ups and they really seemed more evident in 85 issues than his usual 12 issue runs.
I would say that for the most part his run ranges from good to very good depending where you are. He tries some interesting things here and there (like a whole issue dedicated to Bruce Wayne hosting a dinner between the Riddler and the Joker and I generally liked his City of Bane arc despite it being about 3 issues too many.
I would say give it a shot and if by the end of I am Suicide ( I think that is the second trade) you figure it isn't for you then you probably won't enjoy the rest of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
I'm very sad Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen is over because it was amazing from start to finish.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Tavarin posted:

I'm very sad Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen is over because it was amazing from start to finish.

I'm so excited to finally read the whole series when the TPB comes out this fall. I loved Hawkeye and Sex Criminals so much, I promise to always give Fraction's lighter, irreverent works a chance.

Have you read Rucka's Lois Lane series? How is that? It sounds like it could be my poo poo, along with Bendis' Event Leviathan. I always like street-level heroes and noir/espionage/mystery/conspiracy stuff.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Lois Lane does start off very street-level and espionagey, but by the end it touches on some pretty darn large-scale stuff. Hopefully you're read up on your obscure Rucka-written characters, 'cuz there's gonna be quite a few.

Not a whole lot happens in Death Metal #2 besides the issue giving me some momentary hope that we will in fact end up getting to see Dr. Manhattan dickpunched by Superman after all, and then cruelly taking that hope away, but it's got some great fun stuff anyway. No matter what there's really nothing else quite like this event, and I'm looking forward to more.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1283386617407967233

Tom King is doing another 12 issue series.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The people are angry, and they are crying out for a misanthropic, diseased return to the sadistic, laissez-faire politics of the 1980s.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for the CIA guy to write a book about this moment in history.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night.

Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else.

Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them.

Was reborn then, free to vote for Biden.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Rorshach is an unnecessary book, but drat that's a great cover.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
So...this Death Metal series is really loving dumb.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth is the real metal event of right now. Much better spectacle without everything being a pseudo-Batman or carrying a block of Snyder exposition on its shoulders.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Beerdeer posted:

Rorshach is an unnecessary book, but drat that's a great cover.
It absolutely is... for The Question at least.

enigmahfc posted:

So...this Death Metal series is really loving dumb.
Tying BatMan who Grimdarks into everything is such a slog. It's super obvious this was their Gen5 Bandaid.

I enjoyed the absolute loving idiocy of Spoiler for DM2 exposition saying "We used Manhattan powers against Perpetua and we lost it all! only to have the Big Bad Batman tap into Manhattan powers.... wow, big whoop.

Very tired of DC misunderstanding Doc Manhattan.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

:geno:

drat cool cover though!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

It’s called Rorschach not because of the character Rorschach, but because what you see in these characters tells you more about yourself than about them.

Oh gently caress off Tom King.

Death Knights is also terrible. The Batman Who Laughs is the loving worst and continuing to use that character in any way is the fastest way to get me to roll my eyes at the whole thing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

https://twitter.com/eds209/status/1283430195995840513?s=19

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Rorschach fiending for those Q drops

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I'm not really sure what makes Death Metal different from Metal. It's still some half baked Final Crisis, but now it has Perpetua and Doctor Manhatten?

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I'm liking death metal, if only for 2 reasons: the Metalverse map is amazing and it looks like the setting of a killer tabletop RPG.
And everything is SO hosed that the heroes have basically gone into complete gallows humor. It is the best.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Open Marriage Night posted:

I'm not really sure what makes Death Metal different from Metal. It's still some half baked Final Crisis, but now it has Perpetua and Doctor Manhatten?
Metal was a story about finding out there exists a Dark Multiverse that is the failed excesses of comics imagination dying an ignoble death before their lovely ideas infect the mainstream (what if BATMAN killed HARLEY QUINN and became THE HARLEY KNIGHT). It also involved some setup about rare metals and it affected Batman primarily.

DEAAAAAAAATH METAAAAAAAAAALLLL is a story about Batman Who Laughs getting the upper hand, reshaping Earth in his image, getting Doc Manhattan powers, making the JL have HARDCORE AWESOME costumes, and supporting Perpetua's conquest until he betrays her probably to make the DARK KNIGHTMAREVERSE

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Look, I don't get what's so hard to understand about this

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Look, I don't get what's so hard to understand about this

Is Wally still a tragic murderer that is totally trashed as a character?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
He sat on Metron's throne and become Wally West, Dr. Fasthatten.

He has blue energy powers and poo poo.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

At this rate, everyone's going to wind up sitting on Metron's throne at one point or another. Cass Cain? Gonna sit on the throne. Mr. Talky Tawny? Gonna sit on the throne. Darkseid? You know how much he loves chilling on couches, you better believe he's going to sit on that throne!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Guy Gardner sits on the throne but gains no benefit as he was already free-ballin'.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Jiro posted:

Is Wally still a tragic murderer that is totally trashed as a character?

He feels sad about his murders, OK!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

Wally's still a little mopey, but the entire multiverse has turned into a nightmarish hellscape so just about everyone's feeling that mope right along with him atm. Diana's plan to reset everything the right way will, presumably, make Wally less mopey. Either way it's clear he has a big role to play in this.

More to the point, I like that the characters here (Diana in the first issue, and then Jay and Barry in the second issue) are actually treating him like a old friend who they can rely on instead of the pitiable weirdo that King turned him into.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I really liked the "Flash triple hug".

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
There's good character moments in Death Metal and that's one of Snyder's stronger points, but the plot overall is just Ugh. The individual components are interesting and cool, but as they're put together it becomes just a bit too much. The giant Trinity Robot is cool and obviously inspired by the Batman/Superman robot that Toyman also made in Batman/Superman

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There was the Superman/Batman robot in Loeb McGuinness's S/B run.

Then Scott Snyder introduced giant Batman robots that turned into Giant Batman+Joker and other villain robots in Superheavy/Bloom.

And then in the original Metal there were evil robots that the Justice League took over to make a Justice League Voltron with Batman as the head.

And now there's another robot that is kind of a mash em up of all of those things, because it's important to have as many different versions of Batman (and I guess the other scrubs) as humanly possible in any event.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

How’s many volumes did they do for the Superman/Batman run that started with vol 1 Crossworlds. I believe it was New 52. Is that still going on?

Edit: also, whatever happened to Wrath? I liked him in the New 52 Detective Comics volumes. I actually really enjoyed volumes 1-4 of the New 52 Detective Comics.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jul 16, 2020

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Edge & Christian posted:

There was the Superman/Batman robot in Loeb McGuinness's S/B run.

Then Scott Snyder introduced giant Batman robots that turned into Giant Batman+Joker and other villain robots in Superheavy/Bloom.

And then in the original Metal there were evil robots that the Justice League took over to make a Justice League Voltron with Batman as the head.

And now there's another robot that is kind of a mash em up of all of those things, because it's important to have as many different versions of Batman (and I guess the other scrubs) as humanly possible in any event.

It definitely looks like the Composite Superman/Batman Robot from the Public Enemies arc of the original S/B with some Wonder Woman stuff tacked on. I was actually happy to see it. But, now I'm reminded about how that lead to Captain Atom going to the Wildstorm Universe, and a bunch of stuff happening with Mister Majestic. Guess I'll be spending part of this afternoon looking up what exactly happened with that.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Man, I’m reading the old Johns JSA and it’s a great representation of team as family, and then bam, Faust is raping Isis. Yuck.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Is Spurrier on Justice League from now on or is it just a fill in arc?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Man, I’m reading the old Johns JSA and it’s a great representation of team as family, and then bam, Faust is raping Isis. Yuck.

I still love the bit where Jay tells Jakeem to watch his language, he's a superhero and then... yeah, wow did that series fall off as it went on.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

FilthyImp posted:

Except he got beat and apparently lost most of them off screen to Batman Who LMAOS.

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Except he got beat and apparently lost most of them off screen to Batman Who LMAOS.

I was very confused about this until I got my Flash Forward TPB in and saw that they rewrote the ending from Flash #750.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
I like how fast Doc Manhattan went from a reality shattering presence in the DC Universe to Green Lantern Ring+

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
The more I think about it the more mad I am about the extra pages added to Flash Forward. Completely messes with the hope and recovery aspect of it.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Just got my Arkham Omnibus in the mail today. This thing is huge, considerably larger than either the Morrison or Knightfall Omnibussessese I have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pioneer42 posted:

The more I think about it the more mad I am about the extra pages added to Flash Forward. Completely messes with the hope and recovery aspect of it.

I am so beyond tired of every DC story having to be a meta narrative about comic book continuity with a splash page of iconic moments and a character going "It's all missing?"