Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Has anyone been reading the new Lucifer books, because I can't think of a series that had a more definitive ending, so how are they making more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Autism Sneaks posted:

Lois Lane is Greg Rucka and Jimmy Timmy Olsen is Matt Fraction. e: and I guess Wonder Twins is Mark Russell, but I haven't read that one, even though I know it's probably some ironic deconstruction of Superfriends nostalgia or something I'd hate myself for liking

He's saying Bendis is responsible for them getting made, not that he's writing them himself.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I historically have found Mark Russell's stuff profoundly annoying but even I liked Wonder Twins. It feels gentler and more tempered than his earlier stuff, and I think making his protagonists two earnestly nice and good people blunts what I took as an almost affected cynicism elsewhere.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
I've been reading the YJ books and it hasn't really come up. Has any other series covered why some people remember the original Young Justice and some don't? Is it it just a Dr Manhattan punched reality thing?

edit: Hah! Never mind as of #14

Beerdeer fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Mar 11, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Beerdeer posted:

I've been reading the YJ books and it hasn't really come up. Has any other series covered why some people remember the original Young Justice and some don't? Is it it just a Dr Manhattan punched reality thing?

It was a Johns/Didio reality punch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Well first Barry Reality Raced everything. And then Brainiac Reality Catalogued all the Hypertime worlds but Then Perpetua Reality-Rewound everything, but Doc Manhattan Reality Observed everything and placed Superman at the heart but now Wally is Reality Thunking everything from the Doctor Mobiushattan Chair leading to the Metal Crisis of the Dark Universal, just in time for the Wall of Monitors that Guards the Multiversal Orrery of 5x2 worlds to come under fire from the Ubermonitor, leading to the company-crossover hit known as the Crisis War where Marvel and DC will unite.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
further evidence of post-DiDio creative upheaval: the Generation Two one-shot is missing from the June solicits (they were previously announced to be released monthly, beginning with Generation One in May)

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Barry Convex posted:

further evidence of post-DiDio creative upheaval: the Generation Two one-shot is missing from the June solicits (they were previously announced to be released monthly, beginning with Generation One in May)

Generation Two?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Covok posted:

Generation Two?

https://www.newsarama.com/49420-dc-s-generation-event-missing-from-june-2020-solicitations.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was chatting with my old boss last night, mostly urging him to work from home as much as he can but he mentioned he heard a rumor the DC FCBD book is possibly being replaced with a basic reprint and the Generation 5G stuff will be kind of ignored for now.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Rhyno posted:

I was chatting with my old boss last night, mostly urging him to work from home as much as he can but he mentioned he heard a rumor the DC FCBD book is possibly being replaced with a basic reprint and the Generation 5G stuff will be kind of ignored for now.

This wouldn't surprise me. DC Comics has a pretty lackluster FCBD track record for the most part, but them totally dumping 5G or whatever isn't unlikely.

One thing I do wonder how the comic industry is going to deal with Coronavirus. There are so many stores (like mine certainly) that operate on pretty thin margins so having to shut down for a few weeks could be the end. We had to close for nearly two weeks from a hurricane a few years ago and that was rough. Just having three weeks of stock built up is hard to get out from under.

Will Diamond be willing to delay every comic 2+ weeks if everything starts to get shut down? Business is already getting slow due to people not going out shopping as much, and it is only going to get worse.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
more than the companies, ive seen a lot of creators worrying about making ends meet because those companies dont pay them poo poo and they rely on con money which has now disappeared. plus the fact that they dont get benefits either and the cost of getting sick would gently caress them over completely

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

more than the companies, ive seen a lot of creators worrying about making ends meet because those companies dont pay them poo poo and they rely on con money which has now disappeared. plus the fact that they dont get benefits either and the cost of getting sick would gently caress them over completely

Yeah, if you have some spare cash most creators have personal websites where they sell merch, so I'd recommend getting some stuff from a couple favorites.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Rhyno posted:

wasn't it already announced that the book was gonna be a reprint from the Wally story in Flash #750 and the Snyder Wonder Woman story from Wonder Woman #750? I feel like it was always reprints

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Imagine a world where Jim Lee was willing to do an original 8-12 page Batman story for a Free Comic Book Day book.

Reprints can be fine, but original stuff is good for both new and old readers.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This wouldn't surprise me. DC Comics has a pretty lackluster FCBD track record for the most part, but them totally dumping 5G or whatever isn't unlikely.

One thing I do wonder how the comic industry is going to deal with Coronavirus. There are so many stores (like mine certainly) that operate on pretty thin margins so having to shut down for a few weeks could be the end. We had to close for nearly two weeks from a hurricane a few years ago and that was rough. Just having three weeks of stock built up is hard to get out from under.

Will Diamond be willing to delay every comic 2+ weeks if everything starts to get shut down? Business is already getting slow due to people not going out shopping as much, and it is only going to get worse.

Maybe not the right thread for it, but yeah I’m worried what happens to my shop if they have to shut down for 2 months. Not a lot of businesses can survive that, especially small stores like this that operate on the edge even in good times. I’m happy to have the owner just charge my card remotely and hold books for me, but I am not going in.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Reprints can be fine, but original stuff is good for both new and old readers.
They've done original stuff a while back. There was like a 4 page LEADUP TO SUPERCRISIS for FCBD

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

One of the Wonder Twins villains being a take on Permit Patty who imprisons people in the Phantom Zone with her supertech cellphone, but it's always black people due to her deep-seated prejudice is a writing move that shouldn't work, but actually comes off as a deft, sad metaphor and works totally.

I've always liked Russell's work though. I loved Snagglepuss.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wasn't one year the FCBD book a preview of that Future's End story were Superman is a disfigured cyborg?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Skwirl posted:

Wasn't one year the FCBD book a preview of that Future's End story were Superman is a disfigured cyborg?

I don't recall Superman specifically but it was definitely a pretty tone deaf move to have the free DC comic on a day meant for getting kids into comics with a comic that features popular heroes getting horriblt disfigured.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

I'm definitely worried for my shop's chances if they have to go several weeks with no or very little business. I'd think at some point those concerns would be so widespread that Diamond would have to let shops float if they couldn't pay the bills, or work out some kind of short-pay arrangement with them. My shop is already on thin margins because they're a DC heavy shop and the current DC lineup isn't connecting with their customers, so this would only make things worse.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Roth posted:

I don't recall Superman specifically but it was definitely a pretty tone deaf move to have the free DC comic on a day meant for getting kids into comics with a comic that features popular heroes getting horriblt disfigured.

I think the comic where Wendy and Marvin get maimed by Mighty Mutt who turns out to be a hell hound was on one of these.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It was a Teen Titans comic and I think came out while the show was still very popular.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Roth posted:

dunno, sounds about right for the company who put the tom king supes story where he watches his wife murdered over and over again in the walmart kids digest

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Roth posted:

It was a Teen Titans comic and I think came out while the show was still very popular.

Ah ok. I remembered that it was Titans, but not whether it was a Comic Day thing or not.

site posted:

dunno, sounds about right for the company who put the tom king supes story where he watches his wife murdered over and over again in the walmart kids digest

WTFBBQ?!!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

ElNarez posted:

wasn't it already announced that the book was gonna be a reprint from the Wally story in Flash #750 and the Snyder Wonder Woman story from Wonder Woman #750? I feel like it was always reprints

iirc it wasn't originally announced explicitly as a reprint book but yeah last I heard it's the Wally story from Flash #750 with a few extra pages, I forget what else

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

doomrider7 posted:

Ah ok. I remembered that it was Titans, but not whether it was a Comic Day thing or not.

WTFBBQ?!!

You heard right. Page loving 1:

(it's actually Superman imagining these things while he's stuck in a line at some DMV-esque line to use an alien pay phone to call Lois from halfway across the universe and he's imagining all the things that could be going wrong while he's gone but like half the pages are Lois dying so... yeah, not a great choice for kids)

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Roth posted:

Ah, so Futures End, then.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

TwoPair posted:

You heard right. Page loving 1:

(it's actually Superman imagining these things while he's stuck in a line at some DMV-esque line to use an alien pay phone to call Lois from halfway across the universe and he's imagining all the things that could be going wrong while he's gone but like half the pages are Lois dying so... yeah, not a great choice for kids)

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!!! Ok I'm actually laughing at this. WTF?!! Who thought this was a good idea?!

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Is anyone itt a particularly avid LoSH fan? I'm trying to take this period of having a ton of downtime as an opportunity to dig into a franchise that was held pretty dear by a deceased friend of mine and which I'm overwhelmingly unfamiliar with outside of Giffen's stuff. Are the reboot Legion and Legionnaires just side-by-side serial books like the 90s Superman titles, or are they different teams/timelines? I know that the Legionnaires (I think?) were originally time displaced copies of the 5YL Legion that permitted lighter, more conventional superhero storytelling, but what's the meaningful distinction between the two titles/teams post-Zero Hour?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How Wonderful! posted:

Is anyone itt a particularly avid LoSH fan? I'm trying to take this period of having a ton of downtime as an opportunity to dig into a franchise that was held pretty dear by a deceased friend of mine and which I'm overwhelmingly unfamiliar with outside of Giffen's stuff. Are the reboot Legion and Legionnaires just side-by-side serial books like the 90s Superman titles, or are they different teams/timelines? I know that the Legionnaires (I think?) were originally time displaced copies of the 5YL Legion that permitted lighter, more conventional superhero storytelling, but what's the meaningful distinction between the two titles/teams post-Zero Hour?

The Legion were my first exposure to super heroes beyond Superman.

Post Zero Hour, the franchise received a full reboot and it's probably my favorite LOSH era of all time, all the way up til it's end. They took everything that worked and dropped everything that didn't and made some magic. The story flowed back and forth between the two books, much like the Superman titles. At one point they split via time travel for nearly a year before reuniting.

But then Geoff Johns wanted the "real" Legion back. And don't get me wrong, they've done some great things with that but it all got chucked out the window again with Rebirth.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Mark Waid’s Legion was good at the time.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Mark Waid’s Legion was good at the time.

I didn't really care for it. I also totally forgot they existed so I guess I can't blame Johns.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

It spun out of Johns Teen Titans if you want to blame him a little.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

It spun out of Johns Teen Titans if you want to blame him a little.

Blame's back on the menu!

That was pretty bad if I recall, the Titans/Legion one shot kind of poo poo on Conner's Legion arc.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Rhyno posted:

The Legion were my first exposure to super heroes beyond Superman.

Post Zero Hour, the franchise received a full reboot and it's probably my favorite LOSH era of all time, all the way up til it's end. They took everything that worked and dropped everything that didn't and made some magic. The story flowed back and forth between the two books, much like the Superman titles. At one point they split via time travel for nearly a year before reuniting.

But then Geoff Johns wanted the "real" Legion back. And don't get me wrong, they've done some great things with that but it all got chucked out the window again with Rebirth.

isn't this missing the Waid "Threeboot" Legion?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FoneBone posted:

isn't this missing the Waid "Threeboot" Legion?

If you look up like two posts we covered that I'd forgotten about it. There's also a tremendously horrible run by Jim Shooter that nobody should ever read.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Blame's back on the menu!

That was pretty bad if I recall, the Titans/Legion one shot kind of poo poo on Conner's Legion arc.

I haven’t went back and read it, but I remember I liked it because it introduced the Legion in a way that didn’t seem completely impenetrable to someone that just started reading monthly DC books outside of Batman with Teen Titans.

Legion of Super Heroes is like Fantastic Four. They’re pillars that helped shape the super hero genre, revered by older fans and mega nerds, and often overlooked by the average fan. Honestly, I like the idea of the Legion more than I like reading about them. Absolutely love them in Superman stories though.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Ehh, Fantastic Four is way more important to the DNA of Marvel comics and the first 103 issues with Jack Kirby is probably the greatest run of a superhero comic from that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Every now and the Legion gets trotted out to prove *this* is a dire threat and it's just kind of boring.

I'm just bitter the LoSH cartoon got canned.