Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Xelkelvos posted:

The one thing I didn't like was the 2-pager of hero reactions. Mister Terrific just being really loving weird for one. Also the Odyssey team suddenly being there for some reason.

It gave me some severe flashbacks to Bendis doing similar schtick in his Marvel runs with equally randomly chosen kinda weirdly out of character bits

I'll be honest I haven't fuxxed with Superman comics in a while and after reading this issue it's convinced me to... pick up Fraction's Jimmy Olsen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I thought Shadow of the Bat was overall pretty good too. I like the way it handled the characters a lot, and the core story was simple but managed to not drop the ball the way that this particular character's ball has so, so consistently been dropped.

I did have a few quibbles with it. While the narrative storytelling and character acting was pretty great, I felt the action scenes were just... bad. Bruce being a no-show is kind of weird too. I understand not wanting him to overshadow Babs and Cass, but this book is about two Batgirls, not Oracle and Orphan. They could've had one panel of him giving a thumbs up from a rooftop in the distance and that would've sufficed. It also had kind of a weird tone for me, where it felt halfway like a book for younger readers but it also had PG-13 levels of language. To be fair, the entire notion of a few mild curses=a mature readers label is asinine artifact of a misbegotten age, but I'm an old rear end man, so it struck me as odd

Also, because of the way he kept describing him, I half expected love interest's dad to be Bronze Tiger.

Still the best Cassandra Cain story in a dog's age, though!

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think Signal (and David Fox for that matter) are characters who are kind of in desperate need for a big breakout moment so that they can be more than just the XXth addition to the bat family. As it stands they kind of feel like where Kate was before Rucka and Williamson came along. The problem is that they've been in that spot for longer than she was, at the time.

also signal's costume is bad and i think it's unfair that he's still stuck with a bad one when everyone else seems to have an at least passable look as of Batman 100 if those group shots are any indicator

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I kind of like Punchline, not profoundly but I enjoy how she IS pretty direct reference to all the people who think the Joker "has a point." Harley said it herself in the story arc, she thought the Joker had a heart whereas Punchline thinks he has a brain, and they're both wrong.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like her better than Flashpoint Thomas Wayne

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I think a big part of it is how Batman's no-killing policy has been depicted as inflexible psychosis over the years instead of a moral stance. In attempt to give him [MAXIMUM PATHOS] they like to make him act like any kind of killing is on par with killing his parents (unless it's a gorilla). It's the same as his thing with guns. People keep trotting out the premise that Batman is every bit as delusional as the villains he fights. King's run was screaming that message on every page.

It also has the side effect of making him seem like a sadist who will torture people but never quite go as far as to actual kill them. What it really all boils down to is people wanting to make Batman stories as edgy as possible in spite of the fact that he is a billionaire ninja ace detective wearing an animal-themed costume who is BFFs with the commissioner of police and Superman.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Vince MechMahon posted:

Which of the three Jokers is the one that thanked the guy for helping him escape by offering to let him gently caress his rear end? Cause unless that comes up, no, it's not as bad as Smith.

I think that was Bendis

I think the worst thing Smith did the Big Two superheroes was adding a rape backstory to Felicia Hardy

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Joker from the Harley show is good largely thanks to everyone else being extra terrible so that he seems less noteworthy, along with his more personal beef with Harley being the focus of "This is why this guy is an rear end in a top hat" instead of a constantly inflating killcount, or increasingly gruesome murder scenes. Also Tudyk helps.

but in more broad strokes

Madkal posted:

Batman not killing is a good thing. Upping the body count committed by his villains is a bad thing. Every time Joker goes around and kills thousands of people (at least twice a year if not more) and Batman does not kill him just makes Batman look bad. If the Batman didn't kill the Joker and the Joker didn't have a storyline every few months killing thousands of people it would be fine.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wasn't really sold on Single Dad Joker from just the announcement, but after reading the first chapter and finding out the finer details of the premise, and finding out who the author is, I'm in like Flynn

the finer detail is that the baby is, seemingly, Batman, after falling into a vat of chemicals

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
On one hand, I appreciate them willing to tackle the story point head on instead of trying to soften it in pursuit keeping Slate marketable

On the other hand, it's loving weird that they still publish comic books with that guy if they're willing to go at him that hard. Then again, his ongoing ended, so maybe he's going to be put into the same dark corner where Marvel keeps the Punisher right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
yall i been reading the classic suicide squad run by john ostrander and company and

its loving soooooo good