Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

That's right. Miles was left saying he probably wouldn't be calling himself Spider-Man in the future and now there's a new MM:SM comic preserving the status quo.

edit: Or something. Haven't read it, though I like that author.

He was presumably dangling approved things, like almost anyone ending a run, so I can't really blame him for them being ignored.

It seems like this one was a Marvel thing because there were a bunch of rumors they were making Miles change his hero name so there would only be one Spider-Man. I'm guessing Spider-Verse helped stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Roth posted:

I like Lois yelling "BOY!!!" when seeing him again.

Lois actually Kratos, confirmed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Comedian is literally the concept of misanthropy made flesh.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Nessus posted:

I mean to be fair to Rorschach he just saw Dr. Manhattan get dissolved on the subatomic level and come back twenty seconds later. Dude knew there was no point in throwing a punch. He was basically doing all he could do at that point, which is to throw the truth of what Jon was doing in his face.

I always interpreted it as his black and white world view being completely shattered. Yes he knows he can't win against Manhattan, but he also knows that a situation as complex as the one he's in just doesn't work with how he views the world. He knows that he's going to get killed, if not by Manhattan by Ozy, and chooses to go out as close to his own terms as he can get: with a futile symbolic gesture of resistance.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ozy had no intention of killing Rorschach. He even states it's fine to let him go, cause very few will believe him if he even makes it back to civilization from the ice fields.
Manhattan kills him anyway, and lies about it to Ozy. And I don't think Rorschach knew he was a dead man until he saw Manhattan appear in front of him when he left.

Is there that much of a distinction between killing someone and letting them wander off in the artic with no transportation wearing only street clothes as a trench coat?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Finish All Star Batman and Robin you COWARDS.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

George Kansas posted:

Cool. Thanks!

You should probably hold off till it finishes, though. So only like, 3 or 4 more years left to wait.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Batman isn't quippy like Spider-Man or Luke Cage or any other street hero though.

But whatever I'll track down his Wal-Mart comic and eat crow, I guess

His best and most well known street level character run was fuckin Daredevil, dude.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Arkhams Razor posted:

That's a confusing comparison, given that Morrison's B&R run began with him going off Batman. It's true that he put out The Return of Bruce Wayne during the end of the run, as well as #700 and a couple of RIP Epilogue issues around the same time, but for the most part it he was just doing one book a month.

King is also only going to be doing one book a month.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

But the real question is will this follow black label tradition and show us Harley Quinn's dick?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If this is pushing Morrison's Action Comics out of continuity I'll be very sad.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Will Lex Luthor have a big rear end dragon tattooed on his back?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Thranguy posted:

I mean, Superman wanting to enlist (and being thwarted by secret identify issues) goes back all the way to the roots, with 'why the heck wasn't Clark ever in the military' being a question that needed some kind of answer for decades.

No it isn't. The reason is simple. He didn't join the military because he's a good person.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Archyduchess posted:

What on earth are you talking about? I think Superman being in the military is an appalling notion, but it factually was a going concern within the books, notably during WWII. Here is the most often cited example, from 1943's Superman #25.

The prior reference is to the February 16-18, 1942 installments of the Superman newspaper strip.

Just because I don't like something doesn't mean it never happened. This took 30 seconds to look up.

It's not 1943. It's 2019. Superman would not have been alive during the draft currently. There is absolutely no reason to address this in 2019 unless you are writing a period piece. And even then you don't actually need to because the answer is "it's a comic book." What the gently caress are you even talking about?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Needed, past tense. In 2019 it does not need an answer, unless they are writing a period piece. Which they are not. So again, what does "why didn't Superman join the army and fight in WW2" need an answer in 2019, when in 2019 the character was probably born in the 80's or maybe even 90's, long after WW2 and well outside of the draft?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Is Clark Kent going to literally kill Bin Laden in this? My money is on a stand in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

TwoPair posted:

So I just read the Wonder Twins comic and it's kinda hosed up that the end basically says "actually, terrorism is good as long as the terrorists are well-intentioned" but then I guess I don't know what I was expecting from a Mark Russell joint.

This is 100% true though. Terrorism is just a tactic, it’s not inherently good or evil in and of itself.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The man called M posted:

Mostly from the Comicstorian complaining about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sW_G6OVlzCI

Oh a bearded white nerd on YouTube angry about something, I never would have guessed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Sweet I loving love Eddie Murphy

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I haven't watched the show or even really followed up on it since the first preview looked corny, but why in the gently caress is Jorah Mormont Bruce Wayne? He has a straight up English accent and he's blonde. How does that work? He should be Alfred.

Wigs and dialogue coaches exist. This is going to blow your mind but did you know Tom Holland also has a British accent but Spider-Man in the movies is still from New York?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Right, but I've seen clips of the show. He still has his accent and everything else. He looks and sounds exactly like Jorah Mormont.

Edit: to reduce confusion, I didn't follow the show until I heard Jorah was in it, then Youtubed some clips.

Well then you're right and that's stupid.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

That is clearly a drawing of HHH wearing Moxleys clothes.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

I just saw the Birds of Prey trailer, is the Asian girl an already established character

It's Cassandra Cain isn't it?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

All of the Palmiotti and Connor stuff for Harley Quinn and anything branching from it are straight up considered non-canon iirc so if this is based off of that Quinn, it can safely be assumed to be non-canon too

Idk what going on in the BoP trailer though. It looks like that Cass is just a regular girl or something which is extremely dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGM4uYZzfu0

Also it reminds me of that Woke Disney video because the whole trail screams "forced Girl Boss" message

It's written, directed, and produced by women.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

FilthyImp posted:

Awww. Did Darktitsanime get popped??? :ohdear:

A while ago when some hosed up "lesbians just need some good dick" poo poo he said got brought up.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also there have been two Justice League #1s since Rebirth started.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Does anyone know the real reason this thing never got finished? It was clearly a top seller, despite being completely bananas. Clearly something happened, because both Miller and Lee have worked with DC in the interim and neither are dead. I’d love to know the real story behind this one.

They keep saying it's going to be finished but it never is.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Weed.

It is the cause of, and solution to, most of Kevin Smith's writing problems.

Yeah it's honestly this. For more detail, he didn't start smoking till way after his arrow run, but before his Batman run.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

His huge writing binges he doesn't remember were definitely mostly due to cocaine, but I'd put money down that he used both (and wouldn't be surprised if that was true of Kevin Smith either, cocaine doesn't actually make you skinny, it's what killed both Belushi and Farley)

Smith was pretty much a teatotaler until the weed.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

JordanKai posted:

Has anyone heard anything about writers and/or artists being laid off at DC? I've been scrubbing through all of the creatives who still have ongoing releases going into October, and so far I haven't seen anyone tweet about being let go. I hope they all make it through. :ohdear:

It seems like the layoffs were more focused on leadership and then side things, like DCU and DC Direct. Haven't heard anything of anyone on the creative side getting the axe.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Pretty stupid that they made Gotham and not just a TV show about Batman. Gotham Central is absolutely one of my favorite books but they couldn't even just adapt that.

I kinda hope they start cutting the budgets of their films to a fifth of what they do currently and just try to make 5 movies instead of one disappointing blockbuster.

It sounds like the new show set in the universe of the upcoming movie is going to be more Gotham Central.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

How Wonderful! posted:

The Three Jokers are the Joker (classic), Harley Quinn (girl joker) and the Riddler (college joker). Everybody knows this.

Until Riddler died and they replaced him with Little Joker (Bane).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Wait did Hood just murder that little person and no one commented on it.

Technically the shark killed him.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I think it works better disconnected from everything else. Then if people like it, they can plug it in wherever it fits and say it's canon. And if people don't, they can just keep it as a trade of an "important" story that isn't in continuity.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barry Convex posted:

I suppose, but (a) it's simply not that good thus far, and (b) trying to position it as a self-contained story doesn't work as well when so much of it is explicitly founded on preexisting continuity. which also largely applies to Doomsday Clock, not coincidentally

The only big things you need to know are his history with Jason and Barbara. They spell everything else out so that someone even casually familiar could grasp it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I really liked this in White Knight. It does a lot to reconsile the Suicide Squad Harley Quinn and the one from her solo comedy series.

The real way to reconcile this is that her solo series isn't in continuity.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I'm reading the JLI Omnibus (Volume 1) and skipped ahead to one of my favourite JLE issues from when I was a kid. The JLE and Injustice League end up in the same night school French class. Anyway, its about as absurd as you can imagine, but still so stupidly funny.

Does anyone write stuff like that anymore? I like my grim dark DC comics (though this whole Metal thing isn't really my cup of tea) but is there a market for truly funny superhero comics anymore? Any recommendations?

It's kind of a stretch to call it a superhero comic, but Sex Criminals is very, very funny. Not in that same way though. It's also less common to see comedy issues show up in otherwise "serious" books, but there's some good comedy stuff from the big 2 as well. Amanda Conner's run on Harley Quinn was pretty good. Squirrel Girl over at Marvel was great.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skwirl posted:

Back catalog is what I want dammit. Still need to do a complete chronological binge of the Diniverse.

It will almost certainly go up as soon as DCU is comics only. They even have a DC portal on the site.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

End this with the joker still alive but as a severed head in a jar to tie into that post apocalyptic Batman thing they did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So three Jokers entire point is just making Jack Napier canon. Cool.