Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't terrible either which is very surprising.

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised. There are way better uses for Tom Taylor though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeffLemire/status/1149371687844098048

I don't really care about Joker stories, but I'll always give Lemire and Sorrentino a chance.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

McCloud posted:

Damian has a magic item that can neutralise GG, but doesn't use it on alt-bats. Sure, makes sense.

I don't disagree with any of your other critiques, but I think it was stated that the wand only had one charge.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Teenage Fansub posted:

I'm so there for Rafael Grampá.

edit: Another Black Label announcement: Wonder Woman: Dead Earth by Daniel Warren Johnson
WW post-apocalypse.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/diana-takes-on-the-post-apocalypse-in-our-exclusive-fir-1838098073?IR=T

ee: Oh, also December Solicitations
https://www.newsarama.com/46928-dc-comics-december-2019-solicitations.html

I love Daniel Warren Johnson so I guess I'm buying Wonder Woman comics now!

Rafael Grampá is my new favourite comic artist name.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

This month's Jimmy Olsen was wonderful. I was going to post some panels but there was a lot of lead up to most of the gags so you'll just have to trust me.

Dex-Starr is a good kitty.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Wait when did Tom Taylor become a good writer? Isn't most of his work DCeased and Injustice?

Both of which are shockingly good considering the concepts. He does a combination of humour and pathos very well.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

So anti-life Plastic Man from last week's DCeased was certainly horrifying.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cassa posted:

Anyone been reading Batman's Grave? Because it's blowing me away how boring it is.

Yeah, aside from wacky Alfred I'm not getting a whole lot out of it.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm always up for more Taylor!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cassa posted:

I was reading some godawful event comic tie in where exactly this happened, except it was Deadshot and some other people with names, and the prison was introduced and broken out of within three pages.

All according to keikau.

Something like this also happened in Dark Knights: Metal, with the Joker in a secret cell under the bat cave.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I've been reading through Ed Brubaker's work and just finished Gotham Central. It's great and it seems like an easy project to adapt for TV...which upon checking is apparently something we'll see in the near future.

The series ends with "to be continued in 52." Is 52 the good weekly series from that era? I forget if it was Countdown or 52 that people hated.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Ryan North said that he's behind one of the pitches so I hope that one wins. I'm guessing Super Pets, but there are a few contenders.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Some good stuff going on in Nightwing. The art direction and story seems solid.

Yeah, I hopped on because of Tom Taylor but I'm really liking the art and layouts. Also the dog.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Cartridgeblowers posted:

Anyone else read the Man-Bat mini? I oddly enough really liked it.

Yeah, my low expectations going in were handily surpassed. A nice exploration of the character and some good art to boot.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

In other Tom King news, the first issue of Superman: Son of Kal-El is out today and it's off to a good start. I enjoyed the interactions with Damien, and I assume the ending is leading to something with better results than Injustice.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

site posted:

gotta be honest, going in i thought a Tom Taylor Superman would be a no brainer, but it's not really doing much for me

Yeah I didn't love it either. The bit at the school was pretty bad and the rest of the setup doesn't seem all that interesting. Hopefully it improves with time, as I like most of Taylor's other stuff.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

catlord posted:

How's Batman: Reptilian so far? It sounds like it's right up my alley and the art I've seen looks great, but at the same time how Ennis-y is it? Because when I'm reading Batman it's because, you know, I like itt

I've been surprised at how much I enjoy it. It's dark and over the top but not excessively puerile like a lot of his other stuff, and there are some funny bits too.

Speaking of DC books I've been enjoying, The Nice House on the Lake has been interesting so far. Lots of mystery and intrigue with a great setup.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 8, 2021

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Interesting bits from Jeff Lemire's Substack newsletter:

Lemire posted:

Robin and Batman will not be my last DC or work-for-hire project released. The same time I wrote this series I also wrote another 3-issue oversized Black Label book for one of my all-time favourite artists, Doug Mahnke! That one will be announced this coming month and when it is I’ll get more into it here.

Those will likely be my final two DC or work-for-hire books for the foreseeable future. I loved my years working for DC and Marvel. I got to collaborate with amazing artists. I got to play with incredible characters that I grew up reading. But after a point, the excitement of that wears off. And the truth is things at DC and Marvel have changed dramatically and are no longer really a place where I feel like I can do what I do well.

I did almost do one more DC thing last year though… for a short time I was attached to write Green Lantern for their 5G initiative. We were going to do it as a horror book and it would be the flagship title in the horror line for 5G. But the more I worked on it, the less excited I got and the more things seemed to be in a constant state of flux with the whole initiative. And then Dan Didio was out at DC and I jumped too, not wanting to deal with all of it anymore. It was a near miss and honestly sort of my last flirtation with doing anything significant for the Big Two.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Spoilers from this week's Action Comics, but I guess it's time for another death (and return?) of Superman...and Apollo, and Enchantress, and Lightray, and...

Nightwing annual was fun, as expected on this run.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

This week's Nightwing is just delightful and I'd strongly recommend it to anyone, even people who aren't following. Doesn't require a lot of context aside from that Dick recently decided to use money he inherited to help people in Bludhaven and this has angered some of the locals.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Another great Tom Taylor joint this week on Superman, featuring Nightwing. I'm glad he's getting to run with semi-prominent books rather than being restricted to mostly elseworlds-type stuff (though he's generally great there too).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Boy, business picked up in the latest DC vs. Vampires.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Another great Nightwing this month! I don't know much about the Flash or his relationship with Dick but it seemed really well depicted and it was fun to see Flash doing the sorts of things any actual human would do with his powers (i.e., compulsively checking in on everyone he cares about).

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'd be more excited for this if DWJ was doing the interiors, but Gedeon seems good too.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Joe Fisto posted:

Y’all I love Taylor’s Nightwing. Makes me smile.

Big agree! It's a consistent highlight in terms of both writing and art and I'm always left wanting more.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Aquaman Andromeda seems promising. I'm into horrors of the deep and Ram V has been doing good stuff lately. Art is nice too!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

vseslav.botkin posted:

Anybody read One Bad Day? I just finished it and the art is spectacular, but the story is very very Tom King.

I just read it and I generally agree with your take. I did find it funny how young Edward's father seemed to be modeled on Kurtwood Smith, Edward looked like Micheal Stipe, and Bruce looked like John Hamm. Decent fan casting!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

TwoPair posted:

I was kinda disappointed at first (like, I knew the minute Superman showed up he was gonna get chumped and I'm always a little disappointed when Superman/the JL guest star in a book just to get wrecked to make the point of "whoa, check out how dangerous this new enemy is!") but as it went on I like the idea more for taking the "Batman preptime" meme to a almost ridiculous extreme and making that the villain.

Yeah, I like how Batman's over-preparedness is biting him on the rear end. I feel like Tynion just did a police state with robotic surveillance in Fear State, but I only really read the Nightwing tie-ins so maybe this will be different.

In other DC matters, I enjoyed Sgt. Rock last week. Given the setting and subject matter it reminded me of Hellboy a bit, and the art was good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Nightwing is (rightfully) getting a lot of positive attention this week, but I also really enjoyed the Mr. Freeze one-shot. Great art by Matteo Scalera and a good take on the character by Gerry Duggan.

The Death of Superman 30th anniversary issue, on the other hand, was not so good.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Woof, I was hoping GCPD could be a spiritual successor to Gotham Central but then they had to go and make the recruit of Puerto Rican background shoot Renee Montoya's brother and his girlfriend as revenge for a racist prank that other cops pulled on him, with a promise for further "war" on Renee. The series was already pretty dark, but I think I'm out.

Chinston Wurchill fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jan 18, 2023

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Jiro posted:

This June an all new Universe shaking DC event: Etiquette Extinction! From the thrilling events of Lazarus Planet, a new Crisis unfolds as the spirit of Alfred Pennyworth inhabits all the non meta-Human populace of Earth 0!!! Wayne Manor is overrun with too many Alfreds!! How will Bruce and Damian be able to choose the old Alfred in a new body???? Find out in the prelude event, The War of Manners and Decorum!!!

I'd be more interested in Crisis of Infinite Alfreds than most other DC events.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I'm so glad Tom Taylor has moved into a more prominent position with DC. Both DC and Marvel have a pretty great slate of writers those days!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

World's Finest was a lot of fun this week and Nightwing was good as usual, though it was a bit more table-setting than usual.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

radlum posted:

So if I like noir, don’t care for the JLI and dislike Guy Gardner, will I enjoy Human Target?

I'd say there's a good chance. Pun not intended.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Madkal posted:

Which of the One Bad Days are actually worth checking out?

I quite liked the Mr. Freeze and Catwoman ones (both had great art), and Bane and Clayface were also good. I haven't read Ra's yet, I didn't care for Riddler, and I don't really remember Penguin or Two Face.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

I kind of liked Gotham City: Year One (Phil Hester's art was a big part of why) but the final issue shoehorned in a bunch of ridiculous connections to the Bat-mythos.

- Ace Chemicals used to be Wayne Chemicals.
- Richard Wayne used what is now the batcave to house his collection of adultery memorabilia and presumably to jerk off in privacy.
- Richard Wayne used "the bat-man' as his alias on the ransom note when kidnapping his own child.
- Constance Wayne asked Slam Bradley to mentor young Thomas Wayne so he'd know that it was unsafe to wander down alleys in Gotham. Slam refused. Oh no!

I'm not as down on Tom King as some people, but this was pretty hacky.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Just read Adventures of Superman #1 and... the Injustice thing is gonna be them needing Injustice Clark to fight Ultraman, isn't it?

I'd suggest reading #2 which came out yesterday.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Another month, another great Nightwing! I'd have posted a bunch of the hell's IT department stuff in the funny panels thread but it was across multiple pages and difficult to crop.

DCeased wrapped up today and that was good too! Twas a terrific two Taylor Tuesday!

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Batman #135 was a lot of fun. The whole multiverse thing is getting pretty played out these days but it was well executed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Azubah posted:

It was cool, is that the end of his run or will there be more?

Zdarsky is writing the start of a new arc in 136 so I assume he's around for a while yet.