Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like Clay Mann’s art a lot from what I’ve seen, but the Ivy (cover?) page in particular was gross.

I am very happy that not only am I not reading Heroes in Crisis, I don’t know anything about it beyond the scraps you guys post about it here. It seems like Identity Crisis 2.0, and that’s one of the worst comics I’ve ever read.

Down to one DC book these days - Catwoman, only because of how good Joelle Jones is. And I guess Doom Patrol if that’s still coming out once every few
months.

Looking forward to the next reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The whole King was in the CIA thing is really weird, they’re not wrong about that part of it

“I used to run agents in terrorist networks and had a bounty on my head” doesn’t sound like the kind of thing someone would say only 10 years out from having done so. But then again Fleming made bank off of the mystique of being a spy, and that lent extra credibility to his characterizations. So who knows.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Vision and Mr Miracle are superb. The dad stuff in Mr Miracle in particular.

I'm happy to read his off beat character / family stuff.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

So, he was the person behind New Frontier, Solo, Wednesday Comics and Batman Black and White? Salute.

These were all very good.

Cancelled my sub for Catwoman (I was on it for Joelle Jones cartooning, not Joelle Jones writing) and Terrifics (I've been buying and not reading it for months). My DC sub list is now down to 0 books again. It seems to always go in cycles, though, so I'm sure I'll come back to them at some point.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eh, if it gets more people to buy it who cares.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Bought all of the YA books last time around, will do so again this time around. The art on the original books was real good.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The DC solicits for July seem interesting. I think I’m in for the Matt Fraction Jimmy Olsen and Greg Rucka Lois Lane miniseries.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I think it’s a few of people itt who think Mark Russell has a bit and that bit is kind of played out.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That sucks because I am coming to appreciate Rob art.

Major X only getting one Rob issue is a bit disappointing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: Point is, I don't think Rob is lying or was cold calling 'em for those particular titles. They're don't seem like his sort of things to where he'd just bring them up to DC on his own.

Dude loves Kirby so I wouldn’t be shocked if it was cold pitching.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
If it’s true it’s hilarious. Perfect ending to a run that did nothing but disappoint me whenever I paid attention to it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah King and Gerard seem to have enough clout that they could be going off and making bank at an indie book, at least for a while.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As long as he doesn’t draw it he seems able to produce books on a monthly schedule.

But uh. Without him drawing it, not sure why you’d attach Liefeld to a project.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Covers only since image.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The art is cool and weird and not great. It’s been a while but I’m confident saying the story is probably worse than the art.

I liked DK3. It had some interesting moments, and again I just kinda love frank’s weirder art in the backups.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

TwoPair posted:

I think it's great that DC is trying to do more female led books but on the other hand I haaaate modern Harley Quinn.

Same.

... except Harleen is pretty good so far.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

He also says most of the retailers in attendance are celebrating this.

Comic store retailers happy guy who tried to expand beyond the comic stores is gone, more news at 11.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Rhyno posted:

I don't know if you remember what my posting was like when I was actually running the shop but comic retailers are a bunch of massive douchebags.

Not so much your posting, but yeah comic shop owners (and most small retailers) are generally short sighted and self interested.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It got worse over time too.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Edge & Christian posted:

This is DC's new Diversity Initiative

Batman
Batgirl
Batwoman
Evil Batman
Evil Joker Batman
Douchey Batman
Black Batman

You’re right, they’re stretched too thin. How about this instead:

Batman
Batgirl
Batwoman

Evil Batman
Evil Joker Batman
Douchey Batman
Black Batman

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This wouldn't surprise me. DC Comics has a pretty lackluster FCBD track record for the most part, but them totally dumping 5G or whatever isn't unlikely.

One thing I do wonder how the comic industry is going to deal with Coronavirus. There are so many stores (like mine certainly) that operate on pretty thin margins so having to shut down for a few weeks could be the end. We had to close for nearly two weeks from a hurricane a few years ago and that was rough. Just having three weeks of stock built up is hard to get out from under.

Will Diamond be willing to delay every comic 2+ weeks if everything starts to get shut down? Business is already getting slow due to people not going out shopping as much, and it is only going to get worse.

Maybe not the right thread for it, but yeah I’m worried what happens to my shop if they have to shut down for 2 months. Not a lot of businesses can survive that, especially small stores like this that operate on the edge even in good times. I’m happy to have the owner just charge my card remotely and hold books for me, but I am not going in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That’s awesome. I have about the quarterlies but am missing the annual and a chunk of the run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Can't wait for the CIA guy to write a book about this moment in history.