Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, I've got a random question...I've recently read through Doomsday Clock (The Mime was great :D ) and I'm just wondering who "Nostalgia" and Marionett's son Clarke, who Dr Manhattan kidnapped and gave to some random person after marking his face are, at the end? Are they actually characters who are featured elsewhere, or are they just new creations intended for future use?

Also, are there any 'go-to' graphic novels/omnibuses, etc. that have good, self-contained/standalone plotlines? (Not necessarily DC or superhero-related though, really)
Since I don't really read much in the way of comics/graphic novels, aside from very rarely when a graphic novel is suggested or given to me, like Watchmen was years ago.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Mar 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TwoPair posted:

The latter

Aw :(

Doctor Spaceman posted:

New Frontier is a fantastic stand-alone Justice League story with gorgeous Darwyn Cooke art.

Huh, interesting idea! I like the premise. Thanks, I'll check it out!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, after it finally arrived, I've started reading the New Frontier omnibus. And despite not knowing much about him originally, I'm having quite a bit of fun with Martian Manhunter and his cop buddy, while "John Jones" makes quips like an old TV detective. :D (I'm not far into NF yet though, mind you)

Now I'm wondering... are there any good books that go more into MM/JJ? Not sure if Rebirth would be best, or a classic timeline to pair better with NF, though. I'd be very keen to get in on the zany detective action, either way!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
hahaha nice! Well done, OMN - successful stabs-in-the-dark are the best kinds of surprise success! :D Very cool

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering - is there anywhere I can get a physical copy of the Jon Ostrander Martian Manhunter 'vol 2' series? I've looked it up and found that there's it's (mostly) been split up between 'Son of Mars' and 'Rings of Saturn', but I can't seem to find them anywhere. Are they included in any other omnibuses, perhaps? (What can I say? Reading DC's New Frontier has really made me like that cheesy alien cop! :D )

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey! Just cross-posting this from the SBF Graphic Novel thread, in case anyone here happens to know what I'm on about :

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, so this is more related to standard comic fare rather than one of the more fancy kinds of graphic novels. So, after it came up in the Book Holy Grails thread, I noticed and snagged the elusive (down here for a not-poo poo price, anyway) omnibuses for the 1998 Martian Manhunter run by Jon Ostrander (Son of Mars and Rings of Saturn), which should be here in a few weeks.

But what I'm wondering is, has anyone read any of the later issues? Since these two collections 'only' go up to issue 17, while I noticed that Jon Ostrander did a bunch more. Probably enough for another omni. So, are these actually considered 'required reading' after SoM and RoS, or is it basically just picking up with a new storyline, after RoS (hopefully) is properly concluded?
Since yeah, I'm mostly wondering whether I should consider trying to get these issues (as it doesn't look like they were put into a collection like the previous ones) but if SoM+RoS' arcs are concluded reasonably well, it's probably not worth it - certainly not at this stage, anyway.

Pretty niche question I know, but yeah, any input would be greatly appreciated!

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Parallax posted:

i like the chapter where aquaman reveals he can talk to dead fish and is having a conversation with sushi before eating it

What on earth?! And I bet this little revelation never comes up again either, right? :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

site posted:

the dead fish absolutely shits on superman's sushi order too

OK, that's pretty great :D I've gotta look it up, now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

X-O posted:

This isn't the place for discussing Tom King's past pre-comic writing bullshit. Only his comic writing bullshit, of which is there is plenty to discuss.

heheheh exactly! :D

In other news, I've finally been able to read through Martian Manhunter Son of Mars + Rings of Saturn, which although they've been good, they didn't have nearly enough of J'onn's corny police quips, etc like in The New Frontier.
So, what I'm wondering is, are there any (actually obtainable :v: ) GNs/comics of MM bumbling around as a cop while spouting hilariously corny noir cop quotes, rather than being a proper green hero all the time?