Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!
What books do I need to read in order to get a good background for Super Sons? I have read some Batman and stuff, but 0 Superman stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

How will Doomsday Clock read to someone who didn't like Watchmen to much?

It looks interesting, but the "Yay Fascism" parts of Watchmen make me wary of supporting anything in the same vein even if it is by another author.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

ElNarez posted:

Doomsday Clock kinda hinges on you knowing the full text of Watchmen. But other than that, it's very much Geoff Johns using the stylistic framework of Watchmen to do his own thing. Some would even say it's a very superficial reading of Watchmen that's mostly focused on style instead of substance, which, if you didn't take to Watchmen in the way you say you did, might actually work out.

But also: why do you think Watchmen is pro-fascist? I never got that from Watchmen at all, so I kinda need to know how you got there.

Maybe not fascist exactly, but "Yay Fascism" is catchier then "Yay Authoritarianism". It's been a while, but from what I remember all of the bad guys are huge Authoritarians and get away with it. The Comedian basically get's absolved for the vile things he did, Dr Manhattan get's to go away to the edge of universe to piss ball about with a new enslaved humanity to mess about with, and Ozymandias get's away with his plans, scot free, which is most of where my pro-fascist reading comes from. The only one opposed to all this get's melted by Manhattan and everyone else is to much of a melt to really care that much.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

frameset posted:

Just because things happened that way in the story doesn't mean it's pro-authoritarian.

Sometimes, but if it's not there in the text it needs to be there in the sub-text. If the text is nothing but "Rah rah rah, yay for the Blackshirts" and there's nothing sub-textually saying "Maaaaaaaaaaybe these are the bad guys, who knows?" then all you have is the text, and the text is literally a plan to create a fascist world state, but instead of a human untermenschen, the other the society is perpetually at war with is an alien race which doesn't actually exist, literally the most 'other' you can get.

I mean what are you expecting me to do here with interpreting the story? Read it on opposite day?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

site posted:

Admittedly its been a couple years since ive read it but i dont remember watchmen having any pretense that the ending was in any way "good", just beyond the control of the survivors

Same for me. I read it about 6 years ago. And admittedly that would be the reading I would have taken, if not for the treatment The Comedian gets in the end.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

It's been a long while, but I don't remember the Comedian ever getting absolved of anything. He was a vile monster, which is why his (possible) kid never grew up knowing him and he's alienated everyone in his life so deeply that once he learns there's a bigger monster out there the only one he can talk to about it is a dying retired supervillain. If he hadn't been such a shithead that everyone hated for all his murdering, he could have just called up Dr. Manhattan and been like "hey here's what I learned about Ozymandias' plan" and then half the book wouldn't have happened, but he couldn't, because he was scum. No one can stand him, arguably the only person he shows any genuine emotion towards is the first Silk Spectre who won't have anything to do with him 'cause he's a rapist and all, he's a broken human being.

I mean, yeah, he goes out fighting the real bad guy, but that sure as poo poo ain't absolution.

The big thing I take away was when SIlk Spectre 1 runs to her picture of The Comedian and starts weeping openly over it when her daughter gives her "Goodbye Forever" speech. I mean, I'm not misremembering right? Silk Spectre 1 was the one he raped? To me that screams of "Victim forgives her rapist" which is a really lovely thing on Alan Moores part and is why I read into the whole absolution bit.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay, I'm big enough to admit when I'm the broke brained one.

I always read that scene as Alan Moore going;

"Yeah, The Comedian was BAD, but he was a BIG STRONG GUY making the HARD DECISIONS, and he was forgiven! Can you think of any other BIG STRONG GUYS whos made the HARD DECISIONS in this work, hmm? Do you think they were BAD, hmmmmm? Maybe they should be forgiven, hmmmmmmmmm?"

Just because of how over the top and heavy handed it all was. Like, literally it felt it was beating me over the head with this.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

As far as I can recall, none. As far as I'm concerned he's a monster. The way Moore portrays him though is as some kind of anti-hero. At least that's how I thought Moore was portraying him.

EDIT: Maybe some of the poo poo he pulled in Vietnam? (I think it was Vietnam)

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Feb 9, 2019

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Yeah maybe I will have to read it again and give it a closer read; some of this stuff I'm not recalling and other stuff it seems I've clearly misinterpreted.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Comixology are having a DC Event sale. As someone who has only ever read Batman stuff, are there any good ones I should think about picking up?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Roth posted:

Pick up all four volumes of 52. It's a story about DC characters where Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman are largely absent, and it'll probably give you an interest in more than a few characters to check out.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Do you want to skip Batman stuff? Cause No Man's Land is good.
Metal is useful if you want to jump into the current Scott Snyder Justice League (Road to... and the main collection are the ones to pick. If you've read his Batman run, that helps.)
Cosmic Odyssey to see Hellboy's Mike Mignola draw New Gods type stuff.
Hawkworld is apparently a classic. Haven't gotten to read it yet.
I like Crisis on Infinite Earths for the ambition of telling a story with basically every hero of the time and as a springboard to learn about pre-Crisis DC.
I find Final Crisis and Multiversity (which can be seen as a sequel to FC) really neat, but they may be intimidating.
Darkseid War is the one shining moment for Geoff Johns' Justice League run. There's fun stuff like Batman inheriting Metron's powers and floating around in a chair the whole time. It would make a good follow up to COIE since the guy fighting Darkseid is the big baddie from that.

Madkal posted:

If Kingdom Come is on there definitely pick that up.

Thanks all.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

What comes first, the New 52 Batman or the New 52 Batman and Robin?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Rhyno posted:

They released a week apart. Just pay attention for crossovers.

So it doesnt really matter what I read when, as long as I keep crossovers in mind. Would you say it might be better to read #1 of each first, then #2 and so on?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

How much do I need to know/read before getting into the Super Sons line? Obviously I know who the sons are, and other basic stuff. But as I recall Damien died at some point so if he's back for this particular run... well that sounds like background info I should know the hows and whys to.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

TwoPair posted:

Damien did die and come back but it never factors in to the Super Sons book, so you're good. If you really need to know, I'm sure it's all on Wikipedia along with citations of what books to read.

Alright then, thanks.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

So I started finally going through some of the New 52 stuff I had picked up but never read. I'm mostly out of the Court of Owls stuff in Batman which was pretty neat, but there seemed to be a lot going on in the background we didn't see, especially with the Talons assassination attempts.

Does any of that crop up in other New 52 books?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I might of missed something in my reading frenzy but I'm on Graveyard Shift now and did Damien die? Because I swear I didnt read anything about it until the scene where Alfred talks about losing Jason as well.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

He dies when Talia's Leviathan rises up and tries to do its thing.

Pretty much every one of the male Robins has died in some manner at least once (except Tim? I forget)

Okay, but when was this?

One moment theyre all happy after all surviving the Joker and the next minute Batman is in full grief mode. Did I skip an issue somehow?

I dont remember any Batman issue talking about anything along the lines of Leviathan.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

So, was it an off screen death?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Nope, he was shot with a bazillion lasers at the same time, but was teleported away immediately before by a different and completely unrelated villain, so a bunch of people thought the watched him get vaporized.

So Damian got vapourised in a side comic? That seems a bit unfair not to even advertise it. There wasnt even a "Read X and Y to find out why Batman is so mad"

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay. So basically I need to track down Batman Inc to read the actual death.

Its still really rude theres not... ANYTHING to indicate such a major thing like a character death happened in an entirely different comic line. So, do I read up the his death in Batman Inc then go back to Batman? Or are there any other huge things that happen that the writers dont do anything to tell readers they should read something else first?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Do I have to read any of something called Final Crises?

Because thats listed in a collection of Morrisons run, going back to like "Black Casebook" and "Batman R.I.P". Both of those I've technically already read, but I could do a read through again.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Dan Didio posted:

Morally, yes. To understand Morrison's Batman, uhhh, it's a pretty important event, but you could just have it broken down for you and probably be fine.

Okay, I can do that then. Is Final Crises one book on its own or do I need to hunt down a ton of different ones for single issues to get the whole thing?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Okay then.

This

Is what Wikipedia says constitutes Final Crises. Does that seem all correct?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I think you just need the Batman stuff, Final Crisis itself and the Superman Beyond if you're reading this mostly as a Batman thing.

Edit: I just realized that list doesn't seem to actually include Final Crisis. I don't mean all the offshoots (except Superman Beyond) but the actual comic titled "Final Crisis" with no subtitle.

Ive been looking at and for the entirely wrong thing then!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

This
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis...96746856&sr=8-3

or this
https://www.amazon.com/Final-Crisis-New-Grant-Morrison/dp/140124517X/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=final+crisis&qid=1596746856&sr=8-4

will do yah straight, If you have access to a decently sized library system they might have a copy of one, or they both have comixology editions if you're doing the tablet thing.

Okay, that will do quite nicely. Thanks!

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

I'm nearly finished with New 52 Batman, and afterwards I'm gonna see about starting on Morrisons run. How good are the other New 53 batman bookslike Detective Comics and Batgirl? Or would it be better so go into Rebirth Batman?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Madkal posted:

Batman and Robin by Tomasi is solid. If you liked Snyder's Batman run he did a....12 issue run called All-Star Batman which is fairly stand alone.
Batgirl had a big boost with Batgirl of Burnside. I wasn't a huge fan of the run but others were. Grayson is a fun spy comic read (and tangently connected to Morrison's run).

What do I need before going into Grayson? I know people think he died which is why he could get recruited into the big spy organisation but that's not happened in the books I've read yet.

Also, I can't believe what happened in Endgame. I kept expecting the "It was all a dream Induced by fear toxin" get out card.

EDIT: Hahahaha oh god. How many gallons of steriods did they give Gordon?

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 9, 2020

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Does Jim get to stay as a Batman going forward? Of course things are going to return to a status quo at some point but Batman Jim is actually really delightful.

Also, do we go straight from Epilogue into 2016 Batman? I still have to go through Bloom and Epilogue first mind, just trying to sort it out.

OscarDiggs fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 9, 2020

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

When is Damian first introduced in the comics?

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damian_Wayne]First appearance

Oof. Thats a long way to go back to. I think I'll save it for later then.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Skwirl posted:

Son of the Demon is a short and good story. The rest is just basically the start of Morrison's Batman run, which I think everyone who digs Batman should read at least once.

Oh is it Batman and Son? I'm so used to seeing the story names I never know how to interpret the plain ol numbers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Whats the best way to support DC?

Im in the UK and its either Amazon, or Comixology(Which is Amazon)