Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Please shave your bangs, Superboy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Kaleidoscope posted:

The muttonchops are worse.

I actually meant to type 'sideburns' instead of bangs but I'm dumb as hell. They are indeed very bad.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

blast0rama posted:

Now that DC Universe is caught up through a year ago, any recommended reads for say, the past 10 years?

I dug Snyder/Capullo’s Batman, and the Batgirl of Burnside run.

Thanks!

New52 had a handful is really cool smaller series that kind of flew under the radar. I highly recommend All-Star Western and Demon Knights. Other than that, Teenage Fansub's post above covers everything else I would recommend.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Mister Miracle and the Swamp Thing Winter Special were both incredible, but citing Heroes in Crisis as a reason to nominate Tom King is a flagrantly bad decision.

I figure they probably just list all of his writing credits for the year regardless of quality, but still. :stonkhat:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Cassa posted:

Holy crap Tom Taylor's Superman is boring and dumb.

Superman had to break his longtime vow to not euthanise someone in incredible pain, who was not going to get better. The horror.

It's a shame Superman Up in the Sky is so lame, because I think Andy Kubert's squat, wide Superman is a great look for the character.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I've been finishing up Tomasi and Gleason's run on Superman and it's really dang good. The only weak spot is the two-issue :patriot: America Celebration :patriot:. It comes out of nowhere and reads really badly if you're not from the United States.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

DC made a Summer Cyborg special btw

Skwirl posted:

That Apollo and Midnighter in the second panel?

I don't buy it. That smile is much too earnest and lovable to be Midnighter. :v:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Oof, can't say I'm a fan of this. The complete lack of variation in line weight and the shadows all being multiply layers without colour variation doesn't make for appealing art. It looks like a frame of animation from one of Netflix's shoddy assembly line animated shows like Paradise P.D. rather than actual cover art. Does it have something to do with Rooster Teeth's Camp Camp show? I can't imagine what the connection would be otherwise.

I like the hair, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

If you want some good non Batman Nu-52 books check out Demon Knights, I, Vampire, Green Arrow (the Lemire run), Green Lantern Corp, Animal Man, Swamp Thing

Seconding Demon Knights and Swamp Thing. Although if you start to feel like you're not enjoying Swamp Thing by the time you get to the Rotworld story then you should drop it, because it's downhill from that point onward.

Also, All-Star Western is great.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

Rotworld was....too long, but Soule's post Rotworld Swamp Thing is great and well worth picking up.

Oh word? I didn't even know the series continued after Snyder left. :downs:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

well goddamn. good riddance to Harras, at least, but the others?

https://twitter.com/asher_elbein/status/1292954315770994697

:eyepop: Good lord! I hope DC comes out the other end good and healthy. Maybe they or Warner as a whole will still have to get bought out by someone after all.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

"Oh cool, Gal Gadot and Jason Mamoa get to watch me cry"

I'm sure Jason Mamoa gives great, comforting hugs. :unsmith:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I would love a Superman series by Mark Waid.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Has anyone heard anything about writers and/or artists being laid off at DC? I've been scrubbing through all of the creatives who still have ongoing releases going into October, and so far I haven't seen anyone tweet about being let go. I hope they all make it through. :ohdear:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

It seems like the layoffs were more focused on leadership and then side things, like DCU and DC Direct. Haven't heard anything of anyone on the creative side getting the axe.

Yeah, that's what it seemed like to me as well. But because we have only gotten a few actual names alongside reports of mass layoffs, I was worried that things were far worse than they seemed on the surface.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

Basically all writer/artists/colorists/letterers/etc. are freelancers so they wouldn't get laid off, they'd just lose jobs as books/projects get canceled, yeah.

Right, I shouldn't have said 'laid off', just that they'd lose their gig. Either way, I feel like we would've heard something by now if it had already happened, but yeah.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Noooo, Young Justice. :(

This is looking pretty grim. I wonder how far the cuts will go.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

If we are going to go in on superhero costume stuff that is annoying mine is shoulder pads. Why do heroes need shoulder pads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St8iEpkcDJc

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah, Savage Shores rules. I'm super excited for his Swamp Thing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

New Avengers slaps, but only because Bendis got to put all of his favourite characters in it and turn it into a superhero thriller. I don't think they'll let him do either of those two things for Justice League, which doesn't inspire much confidence in me.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/jesswchen/status/1340194438736355331

How long has Dick used escrima sticks and how did nobody think about this before?

HUGE brain stuff.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I like Batman not killing but over the years thanks to Miller's influence the poo poo he does to you is worse than killing you a lot of the time and I hate that too. No crippler Batman. No torturer Batman. Hate that poo poo. Not only cause it sucks that Batman paralyzes muggers and poo poo, but it's even more nonsensical that he doesn't do it to other more dangerous people. If ninjaing a guy into being paralyzed is on the table, why hasn't he done it to the Joker? Batman kind of needs to be the 70s version imho. This is why Morrison's Batman is the only good modern Batman. Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.

:hai:

I love TDKR but I don't like that the status quo for Batman has started to lean so close to it.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

RBX posted:

I can not tell if any of this stuff is a joke but I'm about to read all the crisis books for the first time.

I hope you enjoy them, but also I'm begging you to skip Countdown!

(It has 'Crisis' in the name. For most of the run, at least.)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Demon Knights, All-Star Western, and Swamp Thing were all really good N52 books. A lot of the actual superhero stuff was pretty dire, though.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Vince MechMahon posted:

I've hated Romita, Jr. since he's 00s ASM run. He's just terrible.

JRJr is right up there with Mike Deodato, Jr. for artists I used to love but who are now an instant "nay" from me.

Maybe there's something about juniors.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

2022: Batman: Year One film with Robert Pattinson
2023: The Dark Knight Returns film with Michael Keaton
2024: All-Star Batman & Robin film with Ben Affleck

:getin:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Friends, I need some help settling a discussion I'm having with a friend. Is "bastich" (as in Lobo: Portrait of a Bastich) pronounced:

[bæˈstiːʃ] (beh-steesh)

OR

[bæˈstɪtʃ] (beh-stitch)

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Edge & Christian posted:

It's supposed to be a portmanteau of "bastard" and "bitch" so I assumed it was "baa-stich"

I hate that! But he gave the same explanation so it must be true. :(

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Skwirl posted:

I'm more of a Marvel guy than a DC one, so I can't really remember any big DC events that are still popular. Death and Return of Superman? Crisis on Infinite Earths is important. I know Identity Crisis was really popular as it was happening, but my understanding is people really soured on it once it was over.

I should clarify, I mean in BSS, I know there's tons of people in the general comic Fandom who love these, part of the reason they keep doing them.

I think DCeased might be the only DC event that I am an unreserved fan of. You'd think that with all the big players in DC being, on average, much more powerful than Marvel superheroes their universe would be a better fit for world-ending crossover events, but I guess not.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

52 rules but I would call it a very long standalone series rather than an event.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Feb 3, 2021

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Madkal posted:

Because the people writing the comics remember the time when their Batman/Green Lantern/Flash was the same guy that's been around since the 60s

But soon...the people writing comics will be the ones who remember DickBat.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

X-O posted:

Well that's an instant buy. As long as they do away with this notion of Jon Kent being a possible villain down the road.

EDIT. Wow this cover is rad. Love the suit.

Stephen Byrne did an awesome variant cover too.

https://twitter.com/StephenByrne86/status/1384921465087307779

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Sorry for the double post, but I don't want to put two tweets in the same post.

https://twitter.com/Velosassraptor/status/1385666195077074945

I thought it was weird when Batman had to collect 400 rings before he could face Riddler, but now it all makes sense. :newlol:

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

X-O posted:

I'm really enjoying all of the Superman books right now. I mean, I still don't like Jon being aged up but the writer is making the most of it. Superman Red and Blue is also one of the best feel good books I'm reading right now. Nightwing is unsurprisingly the best book DC is putting out right now I think. Taylor and Redondo as a duo just can't be beat.

Superman: Red and Blue is amazing.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Jiro posted:

Also why does WW have ring hoops in her strappy leather skirt? I feel like that would get caught in everything.

They're really small chakrams.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

That art looks so good. I loved Middlewest so I'll definitely be giving this a try as well.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

https://twitter.com/TomTaylorMade/status/1447565280423469058

Is this old news or did this information only just come out no pun intended? Either way, it's awesome. And I hope Superman's new boyfriend gets him to shave his dreadful sideburns.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

I only just asked the admins for the Halloween forum name change, so I'm going to hold off for the time being. I will keep Bisexual Super Son in mind for November. :gaysper:

And I will change the name of the thread!

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1449471698089115648

Any WW event triggers my fight or flight response thanks to memories of Amazons Attack, but from the articles this might have a more "space Wakanda" vibe. Looking forward either way; I've always said...to myself, privately...that DC should take more advantage of the Amazons concept for big diverse casts of characters.

Amazons Attack! was my first thought as well. Hoping for the best, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Space Fish posted:

From the sounds of it, current run of Swamp Thing is hitting quality levels comparable to Incredible Hulk over at Marvel. I need to catch up!

It's really good.