Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dawgstar posted:

I watched Linkara's retrospective on Cassandra Cain and he mentions that she retires from the super life at the end of the run in Detective Comics. While I'm not upset, I am curious why she's back in costume for Outsiders.

Ooh, she's in Outsiders now? Who's writing it and is it any good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Edge & Christian posted:

Good news, they're branching out in Batman/Superman, which is all about Batman and Superman fighting Joker Batman who is making Joker Batman Shazams and Joker Batman Green Lanterns and wants to make everyone into a Joker Batman! Finally all the dogshit characters you don't care about get a double dose of fan interest by being turned into Joker Batmans.

Oh no, I've gone crosseyed.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

At least the costume looks OK? Which is literally probably the only good thing about this series.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I will only accept Cass Cain as the replacement Batman. Possibly in a partnership with Tim (I really liked Daimon Scott's Solo comic with them, OK?)

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

The Cassandra Cain graphic novel, Shadow of the Batgirl, came out today, and it's really good! The art probably isn't for everyone, but I enjoyed it more than just about anything I've read from DC in a long time. Anyone that has a passing interest in Cass should check it out.

I'm glad to hear it's good! Now I just need to wait until I can get my hands on my copy...

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So I got my hands on a copy of Shadow Of The Batgirl, and it was cool and good. Everyone, go buy it so we get more!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Darth Nat posted:

That library is so cool. I might have otherwise been disappointed in basically the entire story taking place in one location, but it's so big and cavernous and well-realized. Also, it gave me this sequence:

Some say that girl is still stuck up there to this day.

I love 'scoop' as an onomatopoeia.

And the tiny little 'fwump' for the book in the following panel.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Always nice to see Cass as Batgirl in things.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

taichara posted:

I have the Steph Batgirl trades sitting right here; I'm very fond of them and of Steph as Batgirl. But it's just as understandable that fans of Cass (I've never had much of an opinion either way, myself) were irked when it happened.

Sometimes I think DC pits fannish groups against each other like that deliberately. The whole Green Lantern thing *waves hands vaguely* is a great example.
I mean, the original plan was for Misfit to be the new Batgirl after Cass (because gotta have a redheaded Batgirl for maximum nostalgia). It took Gail Simone, her creator, specifically lobbying the editors that that would be a goddamn terrible idea.

I think New 52 Wally might be a similar thing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, they really wanted to have their cake and eat it too with the New 52 reboot. Big important stories are still part of the canon, unless they aren't.

It was kinda weird to me that when they brought back Barbara Gordon as Batgirl they made it explicit in the first issue that The Killing Joke happened and she got some new magical surgery that fixed her spine, but in retrospect that at least was a pretty good decision, because otherwise we'd all just spend the entire time wondering when some rear end in a top hat writer was going to cripple her again.

Honestly, in my opinion they should have just retconned that out completely if they weren't going to have her be Oracle, considering it's basically the posterchild for Women in Refrigerators and even Moore disavowed what happened to Babs in that story. But I guess it's too ~iconic~.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I know that in the Shadow of the Batgirl graphic novel, Babs was put in the chair due to an accident.

And speaking of Babs and graphic novels, is The Oracle Code any good? I liked the preview they had in Shadow of the Batgirl.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mr Hootington posted:

This makes the entire beginning of Infinite Crisis pointless lmao
Speaking of, I wonder if it'll turn out that he's the Ted Kord from the Dark Multiverse: Infinite Crisis book, since it'd fit that Ted's characterisation, and DC loves it some Dark Multiverse.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Wait, at one point they were going to have Geoff Johns be a part of the Milestone relaunch? Why?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xelkelvos posted:

OMG. They brought him back.

I want to see Linkara's face when he heard the news. I'm pretty sure his New Guardians review is what got people on the Snowflame Train.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

FilthyImp posted:

He sat on Metron's throne and become Wally West, Dr. Fasthatten.

He has blue energy powers and poo poo.

At this rate, everyone's going to wind up sitting on Metron's throne at one point or another. Cass Cain? Gonna sit on the throne. Mr. Talky Tawny? Gonna sit on the throne. Darkseid? You know how much he loves chilling on couches, you better believe he's going to sit on that throne!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

See also: him writing in as a fan to suggest that maybe Lex Luthor was the origin of Superboy's human half, getting politely shut down, and then making it canon when he got to write the books.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Yeah, he wrote Avengers for awhile before Bendis and then the movies made people care about The Avengers.

If someone doesn't beat me to it I'll post "the panel" when I'm at a computer and not phone posting.

Didn't everyone at Marvel at the time basically admit that they knew Johns was just marking time till he got an in at DC?

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 19, 2020

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Jiro posted:

Truly this is the best man DC had to helm their giant movie franchise.

Sadly this may have been true. There were almost certainly better women around, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Also Babs is apparently going back to Oracle, at least for a while. Also Cass is in her Batgirl costume! :toot:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

BrianWilly posted:

Brian Azzarello is the Nick Spencer of Wonder Woman stories.

Which Nick Spencer are we talking about here? Captain America/Secret Empire Spencer or Superior Foes/Amazing Spider-Man Spencer?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Rhyno posted:

So.

Mark Waid is an editor and not just a writer. Chatter is he's going ot the DC offices for meetings very soon. New EiC?
At the very least he'll be writing, considering Harras was the reason he was staying away.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

catlord posted:

Definitely has been, I read it a long while ago. It's... probably a good thing it never panned out, but it's neat that they're officially putting it out there for people to see. It's definitely fascinating to look at a pitch like that and I wish we saw more behind the scenes stuff like that for stories that never came to pass.

I mean...I'm guessing Alan Moore won't be getting a paycheck for it. But then what else is new?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I mean, you could always bring back Chris Kent if you want another Super-Son, but I don't know if he even exists in the current continuity.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

I liked Stef as Batgirl, but you’re right, the transition made no sense.

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, I liked her as Batgirl as well, it's just as I can remember Stephanie recounts it as they were essentially on a rooftop in mid-patrol or something and Cass suddenly goes 'here don't want it anymore.' I think this was the first sign of Cassandra acting very out of character for at least a few good years.
I think they later retconned it as part of a plan of Bruce's to make Stephanie step up, which is kinda gross. I'd rather Cass decided to do it of her own accord.

They initially wanted Misfit to be the all-new, all-differentthe same Batgirl after Cass, and it took Gail Simone (who created her) lobbying them on why it was a bad idea both in and out of universe for them to back down.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Skwirl posted:

Doc Ock after the end of Superior Spider-Man maybe?

Slott had already probably plotted out his comeback via Spider-Verse at that point, it barely counts.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Blockhouse posted:

I'm way into some of these designs.

Still bummed they don't actually get to call themselves Batgirl, though.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Weren't they supposed to move back when the New52 was published? And that was supposed to cover for the move, but then it didn't happen for whatever reason?

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm surprised nobody brought up the surprise member of the Birds of Prey.

Future Maps! :peanut: I liked her interactions with Cass in Batgirls, so this should be good. Also next time they do a Batman Beyond series they need to do an arc with past Maps showing up since IIRC there was a bit where she actually offpanel travelled into the future after Blight came back in time to kill Terry's dad.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Xelkelvos posted:

I sorta forgot about that because it's just so bizarrely out there and was overshadowed by my own reaction to how offputting that Harley could beat Cassandra's body reading.

Didn't Joker cause trouble with Cass' bodyreading way back in the original Puckett run? There's precedent.

Edit: BoP Spoilers also is it wrong that assuming Meridian is actually around Cass' age I hope she sticks around in the present and they become girlfriends? They'd be cute together. Obviously Present Maps should stay at Gotham Academy with her true love, though:

Yvonmukluk fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 10, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I actually kind of shipped Cass/Tim in the pre-Flashpoint times. Of course then the whole dang universe rebooted.

And I do get Cass/Steph but I do honestly think they make such great friends/surrogate sisters.

Also going back to the Batgirls issue where Maps shows up for some reason she's depicted like a child, despite being Damien's age. Like she's Kyle's little sister, but she still goes to his school! I thought she was only a year younger.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Abroham Lincoln posted:

"Surrogate sisters" as opposed to the literal brother and sister pairing mentioned two sentences previously

Fair point. I always forget that Cass got adopted, proably on account of the Beechen mini being where it comes up, her going off to Hong Kong for a while and then Flashpoint happened.

And like I said, I moved past that. I'm on team Cass/Meridian now.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

doomrider7 posted:

Can someone explain to me how and why he became Editor in Chief of DC?
Didn't Bob Harras give him the job?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm liking Birds of Prey. But I really hope we get more Meridian. Don't promise Future Maps and not deliver, comic! :argh: