Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

Shame on the fools that don’t know Jimmy Olsen is one of the best low key characters.
Unless he once seduced a horse in order to cheat a giant mason out of his wages for building Valhalla for the norse gods I don't think he's topping the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Update: he is no longer Robin and is now Red Robin again.
Since he's American strictly speaking he's actually a thrush.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

The Question IRL posted:

But the thing is, apart from the very odd appearance in comic, nobody takes the idea seriously.

Like at all. There aren’t years worth of stories of people asking Peter Parker to finally end Carnage or the Green Goblin for good.

Like Brainiac has almost certainly killed more people than the Joker ever could, and people are fine with Superman kicking him back into space.

Even online, a good chunk of the Internet is devouted to “Batman is the real villain because he doesn’t kill X person. And he hasn’t fixed his hellhole city with his superpower of money.”
Meanwhile the same questions never get asked about any other super hero.
I think at least part of it is because Batman's contrivances are meant to appear (emphasis on that word, thanks) less openly and blatantly removed from mundane reality than a lot of other superheroes. Maybe it's impossible for the guy who shoots lasers from his eyes and hurricanes from his mouth and does super-weaving to properly prevent the immortal insane OCD robot-supercomputer-man-thing from his dead home planet from being a consistent threat, how the hell should I know? 'Why can a billionaire ninja detective not deal with an implausibly cunning clown who keeps killing people just to get his attention?' is a question that seems a lot more askable than that, and it sticks in people's minds. Even Elon Musk seems like he could do SOMETHING about that, and all he has going for him is the default billionaire package and a headful of brain worms.
The rich guy thing, I think, gets more focus on Batman than others because three big basic components of the story are (1) Batman is absurdly rich (2) Gothham is a shithole and (3) Batman solves problems with vigilante detective skills, and nowadays people are getting more and more cognizant that the first thing should solve the second much, much, much harder than (3), which at best seems to be actively counterproductive because street crime isn't solved by punching people and all Batman's supervillains now seem to be written as operating solely to spite Batman.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nystral posted:

DickBats, WallyFlash, and KyleLantern were the best
Only one of these doesn't sound outright obscene.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

How Wonderful! posted:

They should name the dog King.

King's usual bullshit posted:

King the dog has seen some epic adventures over the years, but finds her life without meaning or purpose. Here she is, a young dog who saw her planet destroyed and was sent to Earth to protect a baby cousin who ended up not needing her. What was it all for? Wherever she goes, people only see her through the lens of Nightwing's fame. Just when King thinks she’s had enough, everything changes. An alien girl seeks her out for a vicious mission. Her world has been destroyed, and the bad guys responsible are still out there. She wants revenge, and if King doesn’t help her, she’ll do it herself, whatever the cost. Now a dog, a dog, and an angry, heartbroken child head out into space on a journey that will shake them to their very core.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Nucleic Acids posted:

Aquaman and the Flash could probably clean up the Great Pacific Garbage Patch in less than a day and Superman could then just chuck it all into the sun.

There is something about Superman, even if he’s not Clark Kent, deciding that card board signs and student walkouts are the right track to take that’s almost ideological.
"I can't use my powers to make the world a better place! They are clearly only for making sure it stays the SAME place. All deviations from the norm are to be avoided forever, preserving it like a tiny perfect city in a bottle, forever threatened and forever saved."

At least when Swamp Thing touched on this with Alan Moore he decided not to help by considering the benefits and concluding 'well, if I fix their messes they'll just triple down on making them even bigger.' That alone is a step farther than Superman dares consider the problem, lest he start reflexively forming dictatorships and lasereyeing people to death.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Batman spent so much of his time learning martial arts, forensic science, and brooding that he has zero prior knowledge of either history or politics until this moment. A tragic cost of hyperspecialization.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

If I remember the original story introducing Azrael, Jean-Paul was pretty explicitly just some vaguely nebbish university student who gets kidnapped by cultists who casually drop that his freshly-dead dad was a secret assassin who's stuffed his head full of murder moves and brainwashing. And later on the end of Knightfall comes not by Batman physically beating Jean-Paul up but just by getting him to take his bathelmet off, which helps him escape from the giant pile of insane mental programming he's got influencing him, so I'd personally say that the root concept of 'this is literally just Some Boring Guy who's been hosed with and gets subverted by awful brain problems if he wears helmets' was always there.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 16, 2022

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

I want to see how Jon and Conner interact, si cethey ate technically both sons of superman

I thought the last Terminator movie killed them off?

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

X-O posted:

This is well and true and is indeed the best path forward.

BUT.

DC doesn't seem content to let us do that. They are the ones that always have to 'fix' it and push the issue. Nobody was out there saying 'Goddammit we need the infinite multiverse back' before Dark Crisis or the other however many times they were supposed to have brought it back. The only time there was an actual push to 'fix' anything was when they hosed it up by doing the New 52. And they've now 'fixed' that three or four times. Convergence was... whatever. Rebirth was good! Infinite Frontier was fine! We're good now. Let it breathe!
Defenders Beyond #4, although not DC, seems to be direct commentary on this at one point.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

thetoughestbean posted:

I’m aware. It’s just kind of a different thing when it’s members of your team who died versus your wards who died.
Wait the teenagers who are specifically named 'teens' are raising people? What did they call those kids, the preteen powerhouses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Skull Servant posted:

Imo, it's Star Spangled Kid. Awful name, costume like a pair of kids pyjamas.
What are the most embarrassing synonyms for 'youth' that have ever been used in a superhero title anyways? 'X Lad/Lass' is up there, 'Y Kid' seems even worse, 'Z Teen' has the most powerful 'i was named by my boomer boss' energy... what about weirder ones? Anyone out there called 'Justice Kiddo' or 'Power Toddler'? How about 'Hyper Child'?