Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Skwirl posted:

Only barely. He spent a lot of time building up to something with the Roxxon Corporation in Ultimate Spider-Man that never went anywhere, that series started in 2000. I guess technically that resolved in so much that the universe was destroyed.
I am pretty sure Roxxon was controlled by HYDRA and created the Venom symbiote and maybe were part of the government group that created mutants in the Ultimate Universe and were generally the same Evil Corporation Behind the Scenes that they are in the mainline Marvel Universe? Was there something bigger he 'dropped'?

quote:

There was also questions raised in the first arc of New Avengers (2004) that I don't think ever got answered.
There was an entire series of issues during Secret Invasion that if I recall spent way too much time explaining all of that poo poo in what I remember basically being "Spider-Woman was the Skrull Queen the whole time, you can probably piece it together from that but what the heck, here's another issue flashing back".

Which is not to say that was worthwhile in terms of single issues, it's also not "never got answered".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ElNarez posted:

they're various one-shots about Batman having/living through nightmares

I do believe you mean
[turns to camera, tips shades]
KNIGHTmares

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I'm more impressed that I had pretty much forgotten that DC was doing those Walmart 100 Page Giants with "exclusive stories by our top talents!" or whatever, and that there's basically zero coverage of any of the exclusive material prior to The Lois Lane Defender getting mad about this one.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Teenage Fansub posted:

There was coverage of the next round of titles just yesterday.
I saw that they exist/will exist, but if I'm understanding the release schedule correctly we're seven issues deep into serials by high profile creative teams and I have zero idea what's going on in any of them. Other than announcing books and throwing them into the void, the only 'discussion' I see about them is like a monthly Bleeding Cool report of how someone went to a Wal-Mart and couldn't find them, or found them and they were buried under a pile of leaky Faygo two liters or something.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

But e&c says its just "the lois lane defender" getting unnecessarily het up
That wasn't what I meant at all and I apologize if it came off that way. I hadn't clicked through and I literally only know "Shades of Limelight" as a Lois Lane superfan who is vocally angry about how King, Bendis, Tomasi, Didio, Morrison, Johns and essentially anyone who has written Lois Lane since 1995 or so is a hack and a spiteful misogynist who fundamentally doesn't understand Lois Lane or women or humanity, and based on that being the vector of "look out, this is a bad Lois Lane comic!" I was skeptical. I have since clicked through and yeah, it's a lovely comic.

I mostly meant it is genuinely, non-sarcastically interesting that we're seven issues into serials by Brian Michael Bendis and Tom King in nationally distributed comics books and I have legitimately not heard anyone discussing the contents of these stories anywhere in real life or on the internet for over half of a year, until someone with a niche torch to bear (in this case legitimately, I'd say) brings it up. I really do think that's weird.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I have had issues with literally every Tom King series I've read and it's kind of funny to me to see people noticing the flaws the fourth/fifth/sixth time around and acting like they're new.

Maybe this will happen with the Nth Mark Russell series that comes along too?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The best books at DC are by Mark Russell, change my mind
Mark Russell's books aren't good. Though if this is a sick burn on the level of "everything DC is putting out is somehow worse than garbage, change my mind" I respect your hot take.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think my favorite thing is the backflips done to make zingers on the nine panel confessionals.

Turns out the Commander Steel that was killed in Sanctuary was the one that died right before the Giffen/DeMatteis JLI started. And then last appeared during Blackest Night, which this posits was 'really' 'him'. And then he went away with the other zombies, but got resurrected off panel so that he's actually come back from the dead twice (as opposed to zero times as every pre-HiC comic would suggest) and therefore he's got a complex about dying and coming back over and over again, which Heroes in Crisis introduces as a character trait five issues after he's died.

Also the Protector! The Protector was literally just a reskin of Robin because Batman (and related characters) were a licensing mess in the 1980s/early 1990s and Keebler wanted to do an anti-drug Teen Titans comic to give away so they swapped Robin out for Protector, whose tragic origin was his brother getting mixed up with drugs and being killed by drug dealers instead of trapeze artist parents and whatever.

So he's back after literally not appearing in an "in-continuity" comic for thirty six years to make a 'lol I was actually on a lot of drugs, also I'm dead now' bit.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ElNarez posted:

the molecules have decayed five days longer than they should have had that person died at the same as the others
This is assuming you can cut people's RNA open like a tree trunk and go "This person is 28.875 years old, not 28.881 years old! Time travel!"

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Right, I was more pointing out that it's Fart Machine nonsense moreso than like "this body has been dead/decaying longer than the other ones", it's that the corpse literally comes from the future, which matters on a plot/mystery level but also is kind of hilarously nothing in terms of moving the mystery along five issues into a series.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Female Furies is weird for a number of reasons, but primarily (at least as of the first issue) that it really gives the vibe of :clap: HIRE :clap: MORE :clap: WOMEN :clap: TORTURERS

Based only on the first issue, by front-loading the sexism and misogyny as the main problem, it glosses over that Apokalips is a genocidal death cult dictatorship that wants to enslave the universe. Granny Goodness is frustrated that she's not given the proper credit for backstabbing regicide, and that her wards aren't allowed to serve at a high level even though they can brutally murder dissidents and wipe out entire cultures just as well as the men.

If you told the same story with (say) the Injustice League at least there'd be some wiggle room for some plot beats about how Giganta is more concerned with taking care of henchpeople and their families than Luthor, or that Catwoman doesn't immediately try to solve every problem with mass murder like Joker seems to, you could put some sort "the lesser of two evils" gloss on the message.

When the dichotomy is "we all want to brutally crush countless billions, but I would never make someone do a swimsuit competition!" I really don't know what the book is going for.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

Yeah, I largely felt the same but it also comes across to me as being purposefully ironic? There's only one issue so far, so only time will tell, but I get the feeling it's trying to be a parody of half-assed neoliberal feminism.
You may be proven right and I may be in the minority, but DC's track record of Social Commentary Comics by the likes of King and Russell haven't struck me as doing much of anything beyond the surface level. I also haven't read Shade the Changing Girl/Women, but I did read Castellucci's old Minx books and part of one of her YA novels. Maybe it's just that all of those were targeted at the YA market, but they all felt much closer to half-assed neoliberal feminism than anything subtle or radical.

I'm pretty sure we're just supposed to feel bad for Helen Mirren Goodness and the rest of the put-upon Furies just trying to do their best? We'l see.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

1.5 million bats is coincidentally the number of bats that conservation groups say spend part of their migratory year in Austin, so my guess is that it's less that they're going to double the bat population and more that they're going to time some Batman event to happen at dusk and have a bunch of bats fly out from under a bridge and poo poo onto Dan Didio's head or something to promote Batman Who Laughs II: Make America Laugh Again.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I was set to correct you because I had already seen misleading headlines across the net (it looks like Bleeding Cool pulled their "Wild Storm Canceled By DC Comics" article already) but yeah, all three of those series are ending.

The Wild Storm has had a counter moving towards '24' since the first issue, Naomi is being billed as wrapping its 'first season', and Silencer is probably actually canceled, leaving only The Terrifics remaining from DC's NEW AGE OF HEROES.

I do wonder if Ellis (or DC) have any plans for a second phase of Wildstorm reboot stuff. Will Gen 13 get their own cyberpunk 'realistic' series?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Roth posted:

I'm just impressed Wild Storm didn't have any big delays.
It didn't have any Ellisian delays (and benefits from coming out simultaneously to Doomsday Clock) but assuming issue 24 hits on time it will still have taken 30 months for 24 issues.

site posted:

Naomi was only a mini huh bummer
The way Bendis has talked about the series, my assumption is that issue 6 ends the arc where we find out what Naomi's deal is, and then when she discovers her birth parents and (Bendis's words) "her real last name" I'm guessing they'll relaunch the series with her codename/something to reflect whatever her deal is.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

My first thought was a Jewish Kurt Angle, but Lois is going to need a disguise too and they're right in the Fortress of Solitude so...

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I was going to say that the new logo treatment is an homage to an old one but besides the "bat logo shape" it really isn't. TF is correct that Batman's name has taken equal/bigger billing for much of Detective's run. It was mostly just a picture of Batman's face next to the DETECTIVE logo for most of the 1950s, but as of about sixty years ago:

The arrangement's a little different but almost every issue's logo has read BATMAN DETECTIVE comics for about 18 years of using the same treatment, save for the New 52 switching things up (and the book being BATWOMAN DETECTIVE comics) for a year or so.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Open Marriage Night posted:

It’s based off the logo from Tomasi’s Batman and Robin run.
I... guess?

Both of these seem to be riffs on the very first Batman logo from 1940

Which had the letters contract into the 'bat' for the Batman 66 TV Show

Then made less campy for the O'Neil/Adams era

And less campy yet!

Anyway my point is that putting words inside a Bat Logo is a pretty long tradition for it to be inspired by different words in a different type of font in a differently shaped Batman logo.

The new Detective logo is apparently designed by Ken Lopez for what it's worth.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Skwirl posted:

So, what are some good Silver/Bronze Age (pre crisis on infinite earths) runs to check out?

Off the top of my head stuff I'm curious about, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, O'Neill/Adams Batman, early Question, Wonder Woman when she's a Kung Fu spy, Kirby's 4th World stuff. Any other gems? What's good pre-crisis Flash?
My money is that it won't be in the library, but the Robert Kanigher/Ross Andru Lois Lane run that was published parallel to (and crosses over a bit with) Jack Kirby's Jimmy Olsen is frequently fun and a really interesting artifact that deserves to be remembered for more than I Am Curious Black, it's all about Lois Lane, Crusading Social Justice Journalist in the early 1970s so some of it clangs to the modern reader but it's also trying and it's extra weird to see a story about redlining turn into a plot by Mokkari and Desaad.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

So wait have the goalposts moved from "Geoff Johns can do no wrong" to "comics that are worse than some Geoff Johns comics exist" because that's a pretty wide gulf.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Or, and I think this is the more likely explanation, Bendis has never really given a poo poo about making sure his stories respect continuity
Exactly, it's why it's so easy to pull up glaring examples of this like

Well, I guess Doc Samson came back from the dead in Civil War II without much of an explanation?

Oh and he totally ignored Chemistro's redemption arc from a Dwayne McDuffie fill-in circa 1989 in order to drop him into the Hood's gang.

And then there's

I'm not sure why Bendis has a reputation for this any more than I dunno, Mark Millar or Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder or Grant Morrison or Jeph Loeb or Dan Slott or more or less anyone who isn't named Roy Thomas or Mark Gruenwald. Or maybe Kurt Busiek?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 5, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

X-O posted:

I think Bendis has the rep mostly on the back of him not even keeping up closely with continuity he himself wrote in the Ultimate line.
Was there that even much of that besides them taking a mulligan on almost the entire Ultimate Marvel Team-Up book?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Issy posted:

Here's why. I think it's a pretty interesting article about the Bendis hate.

https://www.youdontreadcomics.com/articles/2018/4/17/bendis-is-coming-an-exclamation-or-a-warning

When Bendis is good, he's amazing. When he isn't, his lows stand out more than Johns, Morrison, and Scott imho. Peak Bendis is probably my favorite modern writer outside of Morrison and Hickman.
I don't think this answers much, especially when the list of 'good Bendis' (Daredevil, Dark Avengers, Siege, Avengers Disassembled) and 'bad Bendis' ('everything else') given by the author doesn't really line up with anything that resembles a consensus here or at large. Then it talks in broad strokes about Bendis's dialogue and how he can't write action. I see why people ding him for both of those, but people in this thread were talking about him "never giving a poo poo" about continuity and therefore any mysteries in his book won't be mysteries because he doesn't give a poo poo and will never explain anything he doesn't feel like because according to past posters on here he actively refuses to read other people's comics or listen to them at creative summits or take notes from his editors or (I presume) just actively tells his collaborators he hangs out with and plays online video games with to shut the gently caress up because he's going to ignore the poo poo out their comics, because he is Bendis.

Enjoyment level for Bendis's dialogue or Tom King's poetry or Johnsian Literalism or Tomasi's Superman or whatever the gently caress Justice League is right now are all pretty subjective, and everyone has highs and lows, but I was specifically asking about the concept that Bendis is obviously going to ignore continuity and never ever explain anything about multiversal upheaval in a comic book series whose opening dialogue and first storyline title is about Crises and the multiverse because he "doesn't give a poo poo" about other people's comics.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

So this is the second comic (After Batman 50) that Tom King is reporting a bunch of death threats over.

Do all of the other people who write big controversial comics not scratch a certain itch that leads people to threatening death at [Bendis/Johns/Aaron/Brubaker/Morrison/Robinson/Snyder/Soule/Slott/Spencer/Coates/Jurgens/Marz/Fraction/Rucka/Hickman/Simonson/Mackie/Whedon/Austen/Vaughn/Millar/Miller/Tomasi or anyone else who has written a comic where an unpopular thing happened to a beloved character] the way Tom "I Get A Lot of Death Threats" does, or are they all getting hella death threats and brushing them off?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Sinteres posted:

'Death threats are bad, but...!' is way better, you're right.
I was wrong about other creators not talking about getting death threats and that is on me.

I wasn't even thinking about Comicsgate-style harassment/threat campaigns when I was thinking about King's threats. I will say that to my knowledge Tom King is the only person to have a personal bodyguard to protect him from said threats at SDCC last summer, which is noteworthy.

Also the fact that a lot of the narrative I've seen (both with Batman 50 and now) is very much "oh no, people who didn't like the book have sent the creator death threats. Therefore, we should really just lay off and not criticize this book, it's not worth death threats, get some perspective!" which is not something I definitely do not remember happening with [Superior Spider-Man/Secret Empire/etc.] You can not like a story and it doesn't automatically lump you into "other people who didn't like it are sending death threats so you know, look at yourself. Do you want to be like them?"

I could be incredibly wrong and unfair, but that's what this feels like?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Admiralty Flag posted:

Wasn't that a joke and the bodyguard was just a friend of his?
It still isn't entire clear, here's King's statements from the week after SDCC (I think I missed this at the time, beyond "DC/WB did not hire the bodyguard")

quote:

I was assigned a bodyguard by my con agent,” he clarified. [...] What I got was a mere percentage of with some people get... There used to be a bounty on my head from the loving Taliban — I can deal with a few Twitter followers.
SO yeah, I don't really know how much of this is a joke and how much isn't, but at no point has King ever said that the guy was "just a friend" or "not an actual bodyguard".

quote:

Also, wasn't the bodyguard actually a mild sex pest, or is that me misremembering something else?

That was a news story a month or so later, yes.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Just to be clear, your theory is that Doomsday Clock (which was teased in the summer of 2016, formally announced in May 2017, and originally solicited to run from late 2017 to late 2018) is being held back so as not to spoil

- Heroes in Crisis (announced June 2018, first issue released September 2018, scheduled to end in May 2019)
- Leviathan (a book that has not yet come out)

I can believe that they're furiously reworking things or Geoff Johns is just overextended and has at some point fallen behind on scripts which then further delays things as Gary Frank is not fast enough to make up for getting the scripts late.

If you look at modern era Geoff Johns books (and maybe this was all artists being slow and rescheduling to avoid spoilers!)

- Forever Evil, his cut-short run on Superman, and the last year or so of Justice League/Darkseid War all had delays, albeit nothing as extreme as Doomsday Clock.

- Shazam was announced in the summer of 2018 with the first issue promised in November. The series got pushed back to December, and the fifth issue (originally scheduled for a few weeks ago) is now scheduled for May 8th.

- Batman: The Three Jokers was also officially announced last summer, after being teased in 2016. It was supposed to be solicited in December or January, but still isn't on the schedule through July 2019.

Maybe all of this stuff is being held back to avoid spoilers for comics that haven't even been announced yet. Or maybe something is gumming up the works for everything Geoff Johns has worked on since 2015 or so that may be down to slow writing and/or rewrites.

Open Marriage Night posted:

I think Tom King just takes death threats more seriously because he got plenty of them at his old job. Dude left his old job to get away from that poo poo. Who the gently caress sends death threats to a guy that worked for the CIA?

That bodyguard he had at a con was a friend of his or something, I forget.
Again, according to potentially reliable sources (Tom King) he didn't care about the death threats, the bodyguard was assigned by his agents, and the guy may have been someone he is friendly with but seems to be a con promoter (and possibly ex-cop? it's unclear) who tried to exchange booking cult favorite creators for dates with his co-worker's friends.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Not to not spoil anything, but since it necessarily takes place after all this poo poo certain scenes might have to have been rewritten. I point out a very obvious one that would make absolutely no sense if Lois answered no to Lex given what's going on.
Lex Luthor's line is literally "Have you ever heard of Wally West?" in reference to "those heroes that never were". It's not "heard about" as if something happened to Wally West, it's "do you have any idea that a person exists named Wally West?" The line doesn't make sense in the context of anything other than a direct follow-up to Johns's DC Rebirth, where no one remembered Wally West existed unless he was able to like... transfer love and memory through a lightning bolt or something?

In Titans, everyone had to shake Wally's hand and get lightning-bolted-reminded of how he exists, but when Superman shows up he already remembers Wally because he got merged with the other Superman so Superman has all of his pre-Doctor Manhattan memories, and therefore remembers Wally (and Linda and their kids, apparently) without any external stimulus. The other person in the current DCU with the exact (and I mean exact) "Two Selves Merge and Remember Everything About the Old DCU" is... Lois Lane.

And even if it wasn't shown on panel, the whole "Superman and Lois merge with old energy balls of memories" from Superman Reborn happened way before Heroes in Crisis and I would have to assume that even if she also didn't remember Wally West and his family because of the energy ball merging, it feels like something that Clark would bring up to Lois Lane "hey guess what we are not the only two people who remember the old world!" at least casually.

Also Wally West has been like A Hero In Public Teaming Up With Barry Allen and the Titans and the Justice League for a long time now, so it would be weird for Lois to have never "heard of" Wally West.

Don't get me wrong, none of this really lines up with Doomsday Clock, but that line wouldn't have really lined up with Doomsday Clock if the issue came out on time, or delayed by several months as it actually was, or if they held off on publishing the issue until 2020. I don't see how any of this works in your head.

quote:

It's less spoilers and more coherency and, maybe, not having Dclock line up with King and Bendis' personal events that they were promised. The original delays (the now laughable bi-monthly announcement) was probably just your bog standard stuff but these latest ones can't just be art and writing at this point.
Doomsday Clock was originally meant to take place IN THE FUTURE -- 2019!!! -- and is now not going to be done any earlier than August 2019. Its portrayal of Lex Luthor (and the Joker) doesn't line up in any sensible way with what both characters are doing in Justice League. John Stewart in not an Ultraviolet Lantern in The last issue of Doomsday Clock has Nightwing, not Ric Grayson. It doesn't have Hal Jordan doing deep undercover space cop poo poo like he is doing in his current book. Nothing lines up with anything, one of the most prominent costumes on the cover of Doomsday Clock #9 is Tim Drake/Red Robin, who neither appears nor is even mentioned in the comic itself. Nothing is being done to make sure Doomsday Clock lines up with jack poo poo, and I have no idea what makes you think it "can't just be art and writing at this point".

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 25, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I clearly got some DC Rebirth lore wrong. It's a bit of a mess (both in reality and my memory of it) but that's also kind of the point.

Doomsday Clock is massively delayed and not trying that hard to line up with anything, Johns has a pretty solid track record in the past few years of all of his books getting delayed and not trying that hard to line up with anything.

Occam's Razor suggests the book is massively delayed and not lining up with things because of that, not some sort of plan to hold back finished issues of what has been DC's best selling book of the past year in order to make sure it lines up somehow with other comics.

What I'm suggesting is that:

Lois Lane hasn't heard of Wally West in Doomsday Clock #9 because in The Geoff Johns Story no one has heard of Wally West (or the Justice Society or the Legion of Superheroes) because that's how things are in the Geoff Johns Story.

Lois Lane knows who Wally West is (to an unknown extent) in Heroes in Crisis, because it's a story Geoff Johns is making no great effort to line up with. When did he reference Heroes in Crisis in Doomsday Clock?

EDIT: Answered my own question, Tattooed Man mentions that the "first Tattooed Man" had something bad happen to him at Sanctuary.

The first Tattooed Man is a white dude who last appeared over a decade ago in Outsiders and Checkmate:

And sure enough, the Tattooed Man shows up in a Sanctuary confessional:

It's almost as if... these books don't really line up?

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 26, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I mean this sincerely and not as a dig, I think I fundamentally misunderstood your initial 'off the cuff' posts as some sort of Geoff Johns Apologia, not someone who looking back in the thread is a really big fan of Wally West and looking at things through that lens it's a reasonable thing for you to want/hope for. I am very pessimistic DC will make good for you, but at least your reasons for wanting your speculation to be true are pure.

Though if I never heard a variation of "ha ha how dare you look something up before you state it on the Internet, you nerd, you loving nerd loser ugh" I would be similarly happy!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

The Eisners kind of have a Type (in the same way that Oscar Bait films exist) that was and still kind of remains in the mold of the comics that Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman were making. The two of them won "Best Writer" split the best writer category for the first nine years it existed.

Both Russell and King feel to me like writers in the mold of someone making that sort of Eisner Bait comics, and more often than not that sort of stuff falls flat. But we live in a world where Bill Willingham has a ton of Best Writer nominations and an actual win, and last year both Flintstones and Batman/Elmer Fudd got nominated. It's not something I think is any good, but it's less harmful (and way less important/impactful to society writ large) than like... Green Book sweeping the Oscars, so whatever.

though lmao anyone who likes it is gonna be LIVID when it doesn't win just livid, making GBS threads your pants in anger i bet

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

George Kansas posted:

Is doomsday clock supposed to be a massive event on the level of, say, crisis on infinite earths? I know it hasn't finished yet, but I suppose I'm kinda curious for how big of an event this is in comparison to other recent DC events. Introducing Watchmen to DC doesn't seem like that huge of a deal at first glance, even if it gives Alan Moore an aneurysm.
I guess it depends on what you mean by big Crisis style event. Compared to most of those it's remarkably self-contained as an actual published story, so it's not a massive event like that.

It is a big continuity/universe/multiverse style redefinition like Crisis on Infinite Earths, though. It was revealed (in the 2016 DC Universe: Rebirth one-shot, on sale nearly three years ago) that the story that has been told about how DC's "New 52 Universe", the one all of their 2011-2016 comics were published in, was not an entirely new universe created by Flashpoint, but in fact was the same old universe* everything from 1986-2010 (or at least 2006-2010 or 2008-2010, depending on how you interpret previous Crises) but Doctor Manhattan had manipulated things to make everyone forget about that.

This plot thread was largely unmentioned and unaddressed in any DC Comics at all for a year or so, until a Batman/Flash crossover called The Button which was heavily rewritten at the last minute (it was solicited/hyped as the return of Jay Garrick, there was a cover with Jay Garrick on it, the final comics have Jay Garrick's hat appear in a dream) and that book announced/revealed DOOMSDAY CLOCK was coming.

It's been heavily, heavily, heavily teased that Doomsday Clock is going to resolve with either a new new Universe or more likely some sort of restored old DC Universe where the Justice Society, Legion of Superheroes, Flash Family, etc. exist again (they'd been written out in 2011, and have been teased as coming back for three years or so now) but all of that is contingent on Doomsday Clock wrapping up, which is legitimately not scheduled to happen now until August at the absolute earliest.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

George Kansas posted:

Thank you both for explaining all of that, I was looking stuff up but it can be pretty difficult to get a handle on certain things outside of PR-speak and fans geeking out. I remember hearing about The Button before it came out- how have they had so many teases for the Dr. Manhattan plot amount to nothing?? That’s wild.
I don't have any inside information so I have no idea how much of this is standard comic book hype/fakeouts and how much is actual reshuffling/creative changes but this sort of thing happens a lot when a given plotline 'belongs' to someone. In this case, Geoff Johns, who from 2010-2018 held an executive role as "Chief Creative Officer" at DC.

When the New 52 started in 2011, Johns was writing three books for the relaunch; Green Lantern, Aquaman, and Justice League. From all accounts this was a lot for someone who was also supposed to be overseeing the entire line (and DC's movie/TV/multimedia projects) and so within a couple of years he'd dropped Green Lantern and Aquaman, and was hypothetically supposed to just do one monthly book while focusing on Big Picture stuff (and the Batman Earth One OGN series). But for whatever reason he'd still keep taking on new projects, like a backup Shazam serial in Justice League that was supposed to spin out into an ongoing series, but because of his schedule the Shazam serial ended in the summer of 2013 and the series only started last fall. He'd launch books like Vibe and Justice League of America out of Forever Evil as a co-writer only to have them sort of collapse into whatever they ended up being for a year or so before they ended. He revamped Superman with John Romita Jr. for a run that ended up only being seven issues.

Then came Rebirth in 2016, where he wrote the one-shot that set up the new universe and served as a springboard for his forthcoming Three Jokers series and also Doomsday Clock. This one-shot came out the same month as the end of his Justice League run, and aside from "showrunning" (meeting with the writers for all of the Rebirth books and brainstorming ideas for them) and co-writing the Green Lantern Rebirth one-shot, he was supposed to focus all his comics-writing efforts on Doomsday Clock, Shazam, and Three Jokers, and most of his time on the movie/TV side of things. All three of these books were supposed to launch sometime in 2017.

Meanwhile, the DC Universe comics kept coming out every month -- twice a month for most of the big titles, since that was the gimmick for Rebirth -- and all of the plotlines from the Rebirth one-shot were marked as Geoff Johns things. Last year Johns stepped down/was asked to step down as Chief Creative Officer of DC to focus on writing/producing a Green Lantern movie, and it certainly seemed like he had a significantly reduced presence in terms of creative/editorial at DC as people like Snyder and King rose to prominence, Bendis came over from Marvel, etc. All three of these writers (among others) have talked about how certain characters and plot points will make more sense/be fully explained "after Doomsday Clock", but the endpoint for Doomsday Clock has slowly expanded out from "2018" to "the end of 2018" to "early 2019" to I guess now August or September, though the way things are going I wouldn't be shocked if it ends up closer to the end of the year.

In the meantime, there have been a bunch of stories that boil down to "Hey, is this Doctor Manhattan screwing with the Titans? Nope, it's Mister Twister! But who is behind Mister Twister? Maybe we'll find out one day..." or "Did Doctor Manhattan create two Supermen? No, it was Mister Mxylptlk! But he was doing it to try to save Superman from... Doctor Manhattan? Nope, it's Mister Oz! But who is Mister Oz? Why it's... oh, it's Superman's dad, plucked out of time! But who plucked him out of time???? I guess we'll find out one day..."

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

It's actually at least five Batmen:

Bruce Wayne, Regular rear end Batman
Thomas Wayne, Evil Gun Toting Flashpoint Batman
The Batman Who Laughs, aka Evil Joker Batman
The Grim Knight, aka Punisher Batman
Arkham Knight
There are like forty other Batmans in Batman Who Laughs but I think they've all been murdered already. To power up an evil Batman machine!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

How would it have gotten in the way? Bendis and Hickman certainly seem chummy and all of the latest round of "Hickman to DC" rumors started after Bendis jumped ship and Hickman was doing cryptic "I'm coming with you pal" type tweets that have since been deleted.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Both Detective #1000 and that Spider-Man issue had a ridiculous number of incentive covers and other gimmicks to goose sales. I mean, practically every #1 does these days, but ASM #1 had forty-odd variant covers, and Detective #1000 has 36. Star Wars #1 had 70+ including the Loot Crate cover and various 2nd/3rd/4th printings. Action #1000 had 40+ as well. This year's Captain Marvel #1, by contrast, had a measly 11 variant covers, five of which were J. Scott Campbell ones he basically bought to sell in his webstore.

It's late and it would be a pain in the rear end, but not all of the covers are created equally. Some are ones Marvel/DC do that retailers can order in any quantity. Others are tied into how many copies they order of that particular book, or even other books (get a limited edition War of the Realms cover for every 50 copies of Asgardians of the Galaxy #5 you order, or whatever). A lot of the covers for the four books mentioned above are retailer exclusives, which means one retailer ordered thousands (the number appears to be anywhere from 2,000 to 4,000 depending on where you look) in order to get their own limited edition cover. Others were limited runs to be given away at Retailers Summits, fan events, etc.

All of this is to say that the Barack Obama Spider-Man issue (with a measly two covers, not counting 2nd-5th printings with slightly different versions of the original Jimenez cover) is probably the actual book the most people bought on that list, followed by the issues of Civil War (the original) down at 17-20.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Making Batman Bruce Bruce would be a pretty radical reinvention of the character.

Given Tom King's track record, I assume the reveal is going to be that Thomas and Martha Wayne were both veterans of war and their PTSD actually led them to kill themselves in Suicide Alley, and everything we know is just Bruce's coping mechanism.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

site posted:

bruce killed his parents, and when he beats up bad guys he's actually beating himself up
This is the plot/opening illusion of Snyder's Last Knight on Earth, and also literally the origin of Master Bruce in King's Batman, so I assume he won't go to that well again. Though I guess King already did an arc called I AM SUICIDE so uh

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I think it's been building momentum for awhile in a way very rarely seen in big two comics. Sorry for the images, I jotted it all in Notepad and then screencapped them for Twitter:

Obviously that's a huge jump, and Bleeding Cool did some goofy "could this issue be a collector's item????" reporting about issue 16, but:

Look at these re-orders from the same month:

That's eleven of the first fifteen issues that cracked the Top 300 in April.

The first issue two issues have gone back for a fourth printing, issues 3-6 have had three printings, and every issue but the most recent one has had a second printing.

It's also worth noting that assuming you bought the trades for Immortal Hulk and pre-ordered Book 3 (out next Wednesday) that issue #16 is the first issue you'd want to add to your pull list/buy to start reading the book monthly.

I'm very curious to see where the next few issues land on the charts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Dawgstar posted:

So Bleeding Cool essentially reported an incomplete story? I'm not shocked is so, mind you.
Rich reported yesterday (before today's announcement)

quote:

Tom King is still under exclusive contract at DC Comics. I understand that he will be able continue and conclude his planned Batman storyline in one form in the Catwoman comic book or a new spinoff mini-series.
Literally the story I was told at the start of the week (before Rich even made the original post) was that coming out of Megacon "they fired [King] off of Batman, They're giving him some sort of mini-series to save face."

There are a lot of things to criticize Rich and/or Bleeding Cool at large about, but it's not as if he doesn't have good sources/a solid batting average for rumormongering.