Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Abroham Lincoln posted:

It'd also be like the 3rd time they've rebooted Fairchild since New 52, which is impressive in its own right.

They sure do keep trying with her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I recall Thrillkiller being fun, although that may just be Dan Brereton art being pretty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Both The Nail and Another Nail have ups and downs, but overall are enjoyable "do whatever" stories.

Plus Alan Davis also makes it really pretty.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

I remember kind of liking this a million years ago, but it might have just been for that one plot point where to complete the roster of iconic New Teen Titans archetypes, the Raven stand-in downloads a copy of Batman's personality into her boyfriend's brain. So you basically have super grumpy Batman running around with a bunch of bizarre teenage heroes.

Traditional supers are not Adam Warren's thing by any stretch, but it was kind of shocking how good he was at writing Batman (by proxy).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

Wonder Woman with George Perez?

George Perez is retired now. He's got a lot of health issues, including vision ones. No more commissions or full con schedule or anything.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I finally got around to reading Johns' new Shazam series and I honestly kinda dig it. Dale Eaglesham makes it gorgeous. Although it is kinda funny that the cover is is all 'trying to save the world and pass math!' and the Marvel Family have spend maybe a couple of pages on Earth.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Alaois posted:

I agree with Helena and Cass, though

They stopped the whole Bat-Team book, right?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

That was James Tynion's Det run, which ended may last year.

No, I was thinking of the Bryan Hill Outsiders book which apparently never came out but is on track for May.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Cass/Helena miniseries of them beating people up and being terse and snarky when.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

I still liked Black Bat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Edit: there are a number of good series. Peter David's aquaman run, all the green lantern and related books, the 02 hawkman is good, jla year one, all of Jsa. There is a ton of good stuff.

I'll always remember PAD's Aquaman run for Erik Larsen coming on after and continuing their slap-fight by trying to undo some of what David had done.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Friend, let me introduce you to Geoff Johns' run on Avengers.

"Ha ha I'll do a callback to Hank hitting Jan but psych it's just sex stuff."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Is that Waller up front? I guess she lost weight again?

No, that's Lois. Bendis has said she's the most dangerous woman in the DC Universe in an interview.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The Batman of Arkham is a pretty good elseworlds story.

Thrillkiller is not.

It's pretty, though. Brereton doesn't make an ugly book.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I was kind of enjoying Titans until HiC came along and clipped half the cast.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

This all reminds me of a tweet from Mark Waid who said if he did The Return of Barry Allen today he'd be dead in the streets before the second issue was released.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

I bet Rob cold pitches random books every few weeks.

Yeah, this is exactly it.

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:40 on May 9, 2019

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm still irritated HiC sunk what was a decently average Titans run.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nevvy Z posted:

Why did they cut him short if not to cancel that thing whatever it was?

I was trying to imagine, for example, a bigger name who would want Batman they'd throw him under the bus for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

Don't worry, they'll just get rid of Cass and Steph because they make Bruce look too old but keep all the Robins. Problem solved!

Quiet, Dan DiDio.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

No, Bob Harass is the guy behind this one.

Yeah, but DiDio is the reason Cass and Steph were pushed to the side for Barbara for ages.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Oh, I get ya now, fam.

I actually read some Cain Batgirl. Kind of hate they took away her spider-sense and let her talk 4 issues in.

She still has that (or at least she does through the original run). What's irritating about how people wrote Cass is similar to how they write X-23 in that nobody but the people on her main book pay attention to the character development they had. It was really bad for Cassandra. Some writers (Chuck Dixon for one) decided since she wasn't good at speaking meant she should speak in these sentence fragments. I mean, Cass is usually terse, but she talks in complete sentences. Usually with some ellipses, granted.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

frameset posted:

He's under exclusive contract, and the man's got to eat.

The real question is which Marvel character will he write when he switches exclusivity after his contract is up?

How terrible has Daredevil's life been lately?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Bleeding Cool essentially reported an incomplete story? I'm not shocked is so, mind you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've always had a soft spot for Ralph and Sue, of course due to Giffen and DeMatteis. I marked out when he was added to the Flash cast, and I even liked the actor a lot. He brought me back to watching for a while during Season 4, but I couldn't maintain that.

That reminds me I re-read that mid-00's JLA Classified/I Can't Believe It's Not The Justice League run and man that did not hold up like I wanted. Ralph and Sue were fine - I mean, Sue's the smartest character in that book just as God intended - but I'm not sure why they decided to write Mary Marvel borderline special needs.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Beerdeer posted:

Have they said at all why they bothered or is it just DC's usual contempt for readers and happy endings?

Remember when DC was all about inspirational heroes and Marvel was the dark and gritty stuff?

On a certain level, I don't think DC ever recovered from the success of Batman Year One and The Dark Knight Returns.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

This is so stupid, of all the characters we don't need two of, a Flash is at the top of the list.

The Fastest Man(s) alive.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/1136094139584397312

Young Justice isn't bad. So... maybe yay?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks to DC Universe I'd forgotten for a hot second we had an all-female duo in Hawk and Dove.

Then Hawk died. Oh, well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Madkal posted:

Wasn't the last time DC did a Millennium event it got spoiled terribly and they changed the villain at the last minute? Or was that another event?
Also talking about BMB I am really enjoying Young Justice but that's more to do with the artwork. Been ages since I read a comic where I just take in the panel and everything that is going on in the panel.

That's Zero Hour, I believe. When they started laying the groundwork for Monarch, everybody was all "Oh, that's clearly Captain Atom." DC did a hard swerve and made it Hawk (Hank Hall) instead.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

In the wake of the Millennium news, lets laugh at Rob.
https://twitter.com/KVILReadsComics/status/1139222957702766592
I guess we know what other titles to expect out of this thing.

I wonder if he went for a lot of those books because "Robert Kirkman said I was the new Kirby once!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

The dream of the 90s is alive in Burbank, and back during the New 52 Liefeld bounced around writing and/or drawing Hawk & Dove, Deathstroke and Hawkman for a couple of years. Everyone is correct in saying that he hasn't done anything for DC in over five years though. And they eventually stopped returning his calls, it would seem.

Are people just finally, genuinely, tired of his constant lateness that even being One of the Nicest Guys in Comics can't help? I almost never thought I'd see it. This must be why he turned to Kickstarter where he's apparently having trouble as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Burch: "What if we wrote Joker like Handsome Jack?"
Carpenter: "I don't know who that is. Or who you are. Do you have my menthols?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I watched Linkara's retrospective on Cassandra Cain and he mentions that she retires from the super life at the end of the run in Detective Comics. While I'm not upset, I am curious why she's back in costume for Outsiders.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Has there ever only been the one Metal (Wo)Man?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

Bryan Hill. It's just okay. I quit it on issue #2. His Vertigo (now Black Label?) comic American Carnage is great, though.

There was a real nice moment in #3 with Cass and Signal, but I totally get thinking it's just okay or uneven (or both).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Darth Nat posted:

I've wanted to like the story and I do like the character moments, but I think it's really weird that he decided to start the book with a storyline focusing more on his do-not-steal OCs as opposed to the actual Outsiders.

That's also fair. If you were looking for an extension of Tynion's run, it probably won't work out so well.

And I swear Kaliber looks like post-apoc early 90's Johnny Blaze.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grem posted:

Who is Bloodwynd?! Uhh, I don't care let's get back to Doomsday.

A friend once commented the best thing Doomsday ever did was pave the way to get back to an actual Justice League.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Edge & Christian posted:

Good news, they're branching out in Batman/Superman, which is all about Batman and Superman fighting Joker Batman who is making Joker Batman Shazams and Joker Batman Green Lanterns and wants to make everyone into a Joker Batman! Finally all the dogshit characters you don't care about get a double dose of fan interest by being turned into Joker Batmans.

Finally! Jade and Obsidian will be of worth!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rhyno posted:

The Nail is one of the best Elseworlds. The sequel is only so so.

Agreed on both counts. Alan Davis naturally makes both very pretty, though.