Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Teenage Fansub posted:

Multiverse GL team-up in GL :toot:

I’ve missed Morrison’s wacky multiverse shenanigans (Love Syndicate of Dreamworld GL, gently caress yeah). Who’s the woman in black with the rainbows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Teenage Fansub posted:

Eh? Didn't he do interiors for his New52 comics?

e: Yup. Wrote and drew on Deathstroke and Hawk and Dove.

also a couple issues of Teen Titans way back in 2005, for some reason

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The Legion were my first exposure to super heroes beyond Superman.

Post Zero Hour, the franchise received a full reboot and it's probably my favorite LOSH era of all time, all the way up til it's end. They took everything that worked and dropped everything that didn't and made some magic. The story flowed back and forth between the two books, much like the Superman titles. At one point they split via time travel for nearly a year before reuniting.

But then Geoff Johns wanted the "real" Legion back. And don't get me wrong, they've done some great things with that but it all got chucked out the window again with Rebirth.

isn't this missing the Waid "Threeboot" Legion?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Main thing is earlier editions didn't include the Superman Beyond stuff which is sorta necessary for the end to make any sense.

i don't think there was any collected edition that didn't include Superman Beyond. i vaguely recall that the original hardcover collection circa 2009 was first announced without it, but that DC managed to come to its senses before actually releasing it

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

BrianWilly posted:

Oh........so, the idea of an actual Punchline series wasn't just a bad joke that got out of hand. It's...actually real, I see.

The funniest thing in here might just be the idea that Gotham is supposed to be in a state where capital punishment is enforced. Has this always been the case or is it just a fun new thing?

Also, since when is Leslie Thompkins a psychologist?

It’s a one-shot unless I missed an announcement. Though who knows what wacky ideas dc will get

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Skwirl posted:

It's loving bonkers Mark Waid has never written any of the mainline Superman books.

i vaguely recall (emphasis vaguely, so big ol' grain of salt) a rumor that part of his falling out with DiDio was that he'd been offered Superman but had that reneged upon

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
re the Waid discussion, I missed that he has a story in the Metal one-shot out next week. So that's the end of an era there

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
New Swamp Thing ongoing coming in March. Is this guy any good?

https://twitter.com/therightram/status/1334964144836128773

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
had Superboy Prime appeared at all between the New 52 and John's Shazam?

also thought the Secret Origin one-shot was decent. some of that was the Manapul pages, but also now that Prime isn't overused the way he was for ~5 years from Infinite Crisis onwards, i have a lot more patience for the character

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i still can't say I care about Clownhunter but if anything can come close to making me care it'd be ~30 pages of James Stokoe art

https://twitter.com/RedClops123/status/1343979792299864066

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

McKeever is on record as saying that his editor was basically writing Titans and he was just doing the dialogue.

there's at least one issue of McKeever's run (#69 I think) with the odd credit of "Original Story by Sean McKeever" and nobody actually credited for writing the script

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i'm not sure if this thread is dead or if there's just an extreme lack of enthusiasm, but nobody posted about Grant Morrison doing a Superman & the Authority book?

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1374441417779519498

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i'd be interested if someone other than Dan Jurgens was writing this
https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1384945542732697605?s=20

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Dan just wrote that big booster side story book. It was good.
i have literally no recollection of this book's existence

which honestly sums up my impression of jurgens pretty well

(i'm pretty much only familiar with his post-2006 DC work, but i'm hard pressed to think of anything he's written in that period I found enjoyable or even memorable)

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1440364702018662403?s=20

worth a read, although I wish they'd gotten more of the talent involved to go on-record

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Superman and the Authority ended with a To Be Continued... where is that getting picked up?

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

I'm not talking about the Warworld stuff, I'm talking about the last couple pages.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Xelkelvos posted:

They've already done some dabbling into the Many Oceans thing which started in Death Metal iirc and idk, It seems a bit too out there in concept and what they've shown of it so far was not all that compelling really. It feel like a weird mashup of The Green/Red/Rot and more general multiversal stuff. I'd rather they go more mythological like WW has been dabbling in and that one arc where Arthur lost his memories. Tie it back closer to Magic rather than Cosmic stuff.

Brandon Thomas wrote the Future State Aquaman series that centered heavily around that, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it come back

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

I know Didio’s been gone for almost two years, and that Waid’s already done a couple stories for DC, but his return to the DC fold still feels a little surreal to me

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Flashpoint sequel in honor of its... uh, 11th anniversary:

https://twitter.com/thedcnation/status/1482019676884373507

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1494673072204439561

quote:

Best-selling writer Tom King continues to plumb the depths of the DC universe, with an all-new DC Black Label comic, Danger Street. This 12-issue maxiseries reunites King with his fellow Rorschach collaborators, artist Jorge Fornés and colorist Dave Stewart in a deeply layered crime drama featuring reimagined and updated versions of some of DC’s most obscure and offbeat superheroes, from the DC 1st Issue Special series from the mid-1970’s.

Joining the Justice League is a goal for any superhero, but what happens when a quest for membership takes a sinister turn? Join Starman, Metamorpho, and Warlord as they look to prove themselves worthy by summoning and defeating Darkseid in battle. Soon they’ll learn that calling upon a New God never ends well, and their world is headed for disaster as a result! The journey to save the day will be a treacherous one filled with princesses, knights, and all kinds of monsters. Each person the heroes encounter plays a crucial role in this sprawling yet gripping narrative that is a little bit silly, a whole lot dark, and completely cool.

they're not specifically mentioned in the description, but given the title I assume the Dingbats of Danger Street will be part of this, which... is not a reboot I saw coming

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
i'm too divorced from esports culture to discern whether this is "how do you do fellow teens" writing or if i'm just old, but the existence of a Batman/FaZe Clan comic makes me feel old regardless

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
pedantic but wasn't Dreamer introduced to the DCU in the Pride special last year?

edit: ok, per the article that was set in the TV continuity rather than the DCU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
there was a Looker one-shot in 2012 with a rebooted version of the character that I vaguely remember being OK, but I haven't read it in a decade so who knows

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
Saw that Swamp Thing: Green Hell #1 (originally published back in December 2021) is getting a reprint this week, so I guess it might actually be finished soon? The first issue was pretty good.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Dawgstar posted:

Dixon was always considered 'workmanlike' and 'reliable' than 'good.' His stuff would never blow your doors off but you'd get your twenty-two pages a month and it would be fine. Created Connor Hawke. I think he wrote the first big Dick/Babs kiss, too. If he wasn't so upset about 'the wokes' he'd probably still have mainstream work.

also once called Dan DiDio "a directionless gladhander with a Ouija board" which was a pretty good burn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004

Pitwar posted:

The idea of Grounded isn't even that bad, but it came at the wrong time.

We'd just had the New Krypton story that dragged on and totally outstayed it's welcome. What we need was a nice palette cleanse, old fashioned Superman story after that. We got Grounded instead.

i don't actually remember much about New Krypton but I do remember being irritated at how all of the interesting status quo changes were wiped off the board so JMS could do Grounded. not that writers wanting a (relatively) clean slate for their stories is a new development