Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Before the end of Doomsday Clock reboots us all...

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

frameset posted:

Which books are still double shipping from Rebirth?

Justice League, Batman, Detective Comics, Wonder Woman, Flash, Nightwing, Titans, Harley Quinn. I think that's it.

I dropped Jurgins' Action quick-smart, so the Bendis Supes rate is right-on to me.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Looking forward to the next reboot.

Apart from a growing disappointment in King, and being a bit bummed at G Willow Wilson not immediately knocking WW out of the park, I’m pretty happy with the slate right now.

I think at least one of Bendis’ Superman comics is rolling along well, apparently his Batman Walmart thing is great, and I’m preliminarily into all of these Young Justice Wonder Comics things. Until he heads up a terrible event, I’m pro DCBMB.

We got a good, crazy Morrison comic.

Johns might have a winning, fun-rear end book in Shazam if he doesn’t quit after an arc, like Superman.

Wild Storm is one of the best comics being published anywhere.

The Border Town situation probably isn’t good for the look of the new Vertigo, but I’m loving The Dreaming.

Edit: barf
https://twitter.com/TonyDanielx2/status/1080856186176585728
Imagine thinking of replacing this with that.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 3, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I might still like Grayson above everything.

And I loved Mister Miracle while while the dregs of Batman and Hi-C were going on, so I still believe in ya, Tommy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Young Justice preview: https://www.dccomics.com/reader/#/comics/442257

Looks like Gleason's trying out a sketchier style/inker.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yep.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Open Marriage Night posted:

Points for using Gemworld. Is Amethyst joining Young Justice?

She's the one with pink hair on the cover in the OP.

edit: Here's her variant cover:

Definitely not the same person we had in the N52.

edit:
https://twitter.com/geoffjohns/status/1081777814813065217
:stare:

edit edit: Speaking of Amethyst
https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/status/1080824492429996032

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 8, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC's on Comixology Unlimited today with a reportedly much better selection than you get with the DC Universe sub (living outside of America, I wouldn't know :()
https://io9.gizmodo.com/dc-comics-is-joining-comixologys-unlimited-subscription-1831573456?IR=T

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm so glad it was double sized. It was fast moving but also substantive enough that we actually got to meet everyone in a seven person team. Much better for the momentum on a monthly comic than if that was split over two issues.

Little ehh on this month's Green Lantern, but Hal arresting the entire Earth for space-intoxication was funny.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wasn't Bart coming back part of the Flash War thing?

Anyway, Bendis is saying he'll explain everything, but I'm glad issue #1 didn't waste much time in doing that.

edit: And I don't really care if it does. Just be a zippy, fun comic.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 9, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Xelkelvos posted:

There was definitely a reference to Alpha Flight by Bart so I'm gonna wager this is another Earth.

Nobody knowing where Superman is would also point to them being in the Marvel Universe :hmmyes:

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Almost positive the Wonder Comics aren't off in their own continuity. It's regular Earth (except that they're all in nightmare land Gemworld at the end of the book), and something has already happened to Jon. He grew into a late-teen/young-adult in his time off in space. Super-adolescent.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jan 10, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Bendis left dangling plot threads from the Clinton administration when he left Marvel.

Didn't he leave Miles on a new team to replace Shield, headed up by Leonardo Da Vinci from Hickman's S.H.I.E.L.D., and Marvel's now straight ignoring it? I'd've read that :)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That's right. Miles was left saying he probably wouldn't be calling himself Spider-Man in the future and now there's a new MM:SM comic preserving the status quo.

edit: Or something. Haven't read it, though I like that author.

He was presumably dangling approved things, like almost anyone ending a run, so I can't really blame him for them being ignored.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 13, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The rumour was that he'd be relaunched as Spy-D, but I think him contemplating not being called Spider-Man any more was in Bendis' last issue.

edit: \/Okay now I'll stop referencing comics I didn't read and just know from half remembered internet complaints from months and months ago :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 13, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ad for Josh Williamson's Batman/Flash crossover Hi-C tie-in, with the shadow of Gotham Girl looming over 'em.

and Chris Burnham's cover for the second Flash issue.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

What got you in the preview? Like a page ago you said you knew about Jon being aged up.
If it's the bit where he peeps his mom's boobs, an oedipal complex just builds character!

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

site posted:

Hadn't clicked through to the preview yet but now I'm just gonna nope right out

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

No, but you can just picture SK in a nine panel confessional page right after, then with Batman over his body in a morgue on the next for the issue's title page.

Or Hi-C could be making a sharp left turn :)

edit: Beautiful bit of art anyway.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 16, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Someone should have gotten to write a fun Lois and Jon and Evil Space Grampa Adventures In Space miniseries before this point and made the premise worth it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Darth Nat posted:

I have wanted Ystin to show up in a modern book ever since Demon Knights ended

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I got totally mixed up reading Detective Comics and Batman Who Laughs this week. I never have a problem with getting multiple similtanious Batman narratives through all the books, but these both involving Alfred and Joker toxin stuff did the trick this time.

Also, Det's racking up fairly major deaths like it was Heroes In Crisis, though I don't see Leslie Thompkins being revived like any old dead superhero.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 17, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Two new Wallmart comics: https://www.newsarama.com/43520-new-swamp-thing-and-flash-titles-coming-to-dc-walmart.html?utm_source=notification
Gail Simone and Clayton Henry doing The Flash
Tim Seeley and rotating artists (Mike Perkins and Joelle Jones announced so far) for Swamp Thing

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I know Heroes in Crisis isn't well liked, and I'm not reading it and nothing I've heard about it makes me want to. But this is pretty cool.

https://twitter.com/el_steevo/status/1085834416365146113?s=19

I like how he went to the top of Beetle's head was the 'IN' rather than the bottles above the pizza.

https://twitter.com/nolapfau/status/1085961909617156096

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 18, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Was his big gig the N52 launch Superman? e: Looks like it was 'Sirens' for Boom.

The Heroes In Crisis #8 solicit is out and I have no idea if what we're seeing is hopeful or sinister, but the series may actually have given Wally fans something to get happy about.

quote:

You’ve seen all the clues. You’ve heard the testimony and eavesdropped on the secret confessions of the World’s Greatest Super Heroes. Now, with the killer revealed, it’s time to find out why. Rifts will form between old allies, and the trinity of Wonder Woman, Superman and Batman will have their leadership challenged and will question their own judgment. Sanctuary has become something they never imagined…and it’s still potentially carrying on without them

My guess from before about the place somehow making their VR therapy sessions real might be backed up. So, Sanctuary basically turned into a wish machine and I suppose that means it can all be reversed.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 19, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Hi-C 7's cover is Superman pushing Booster and Harley apart and maybe yelling at someone else in our direction. What's that got to do with Wally?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

A red hairing, my good sir!

I remembered that cover, but not that it was for #7, and DC's got Gerads' Superman one on their page for the issue.

edit: And it was solicited a while ago, so no need to spoiler :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 20, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The entire catalog for April was leaked in 4chan
-Yang is writing Terrifics

I don't expect it to last more than another arc, but that's awesome.
Can we get a link to the solicits?

e: BC has it https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/01/19/dc-comics-april-2019-solicitations-leaked/
Big new thing is a Deathstroke/Teen Titans crossover. I'm not interested in Adam Glass' Titans and with Deathstroke ending at 50, this seems like a waste of time. Guess I'll try it.
Nightwing's new emergency writer is Dan Jurgens. It's still amazing how terrible Ric looks.
Amanda Conner interiors for Batman, which shockingly looks like a light and fun issue.
Scooby Apocalypse finally ends.
I'm already not looking forward to the future of Det because of Arkham Knight, but the way Brad Walker draws Batman's eye protection as shiny in the art for #1002 adds to that.
Eww,
It looks like Dial H is completely dumping the mythology from the last series since the world behind the dial is called the "phone zone" now.
Mitch Gerads' Flash variants look amazing.
The second one's a bit Alex Rossy
I like that Young Justice specifies that it's in continuity in the #4 solicit. I bet Bendis requested that after getting asked constantly on Twitter.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 20, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Are they aimed at families/kids? There doesn't seem to be an age suggestion on the front cover, but all the reprints look like they're from T rated stuff (or what would be with the old GL/GA)
If it's something inherent to putting a comic in Walmart, the upcoming Swamp Thing series is probably a bad idea.

site posted:

Wish i could say i was shocked but tom seems to have a thing for murdering women in his books, or at least it feels like it

I can think of Granny in MM and Ivy in HI-C, which we haven't even seen yet.
I'm sure there's more, but that doesn't seem to be a particular thing.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jan 20, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

There was coverage of the next round of titles just yesterday.

Seeing bits of Nick Derington's Batman every now and then makes me jealous that we don't have Walmarts here.
I guess if they're just at #7, collections are still half a year away.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

More of this please and thank you

The special it'll be in has a pretty good roster of writers. It's probably gonna be worth picking up.
https://www.dccomics.com/comics/mysteries-of-love-in-space-2019/mysteries-of-love-in-space-1

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

After they hate-read all of Robinson's issues, that'd be easy peasy.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It only takes two months after your largely acclaimed series for the world to forget you ever wrote a good comic.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

'Cept he's got two new books in the next few weeks.

Someone in the comments said it's bullshit and they know someone drawing one of six titles about to be announced, and some anonymous commenter has about the credibility of Rich :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 21, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Enough King, everyone. Now read Electric Warriors and Martian Manhunter tonight and post about how good Steve Orlando is a.t.m.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

BrianWilly posted:

Now how about that latest issue of Doomsday Clock, eh??

It was so good!

---

I hope Niomi's good tomorrow. I doubt she'll catch on like Miles or even Riri, but I've liked Bendis' teen OCs so far, and David Walker getting a shot on something other than Cyborg comics is nice.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jan 22, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Closed till new comics are out. Please read and discuss them instead of arguing with each other.

edit: Okay, if I can't force y'all to cool off, I'll just beg.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 22, 2019

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

King talking about the Wallmart Superman comic with all the Lois deaths.
https://www.cbr.com/superman-controversy-lois-lane-murder/

quote:

"Because it isn't widely available, I'm not sure people know the story (which is beautifully told by Andy, Sandra, and Brad). So here it is: On a mission far from home, Superman tries calling home. Lois doesn't answer. As people do when they can't get in touch with their loved ones, he starts imagining worst case scenarios. Why won't she answer? Images of her demise crowd his thoughts, driving him crazy. In the end, the line connects and Superman and Lois discuss how worried they are about each other."

"They both lead dangerous lives; however, neither of them asks the other to compromise that life. Lois has her career; Superman has his. Despite the worry and risk, they trust each other, they depend on each other. Regardless of the hard of it all, they both go forward and they both continue to save the world," he continued. "To me this is a metaphor for the best parts of love. Love comes with stress, agony, risk, vulnerability, and we shouldn't deny that stress, agony, risk, and vulnerability."

"However, love also comes with the unique joy of putting your faith in someone else, of knowing that someone else puts their faith in you. This story is not about the deaths of Lois Lane or the anxieties of Superman; it is about the love of Lois Lane and the love of Superman, the enduring strength of these amazing, iconic characters,"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Seven layoffs, half of which revealed in the article are marketing VPs and an art director. As far as we know, there doesn't seem to be anything to get excited or worried about on the comics end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If you're sick of Mark Russell's schtick, Wonder Twins looks like it's going to be a pretty breezy light comedy comic.
If you're not, his Vertigo Jesus superhero thing will probably be him dialed to 11.

site posted:

I guess one of the people let go was well liked in the community cuz everyones talking about him this morning

https://twitter.com/dan_werneck/status/1088448447244464131?s=19

So, he was the person behind New Frontier, Solo, Wednesday Comics and Batman Black and White? Salute.

edit:
In the back matter of the latest issue of Bendis' Cover, he confirmed that he'll be writing a Leviathan event with Alex Maleev on art.

quote:

After DETECTIVE #1000, Alex and I will be embarking on a major DC project. It’s called LEVIATHAN. You will soon hear a lot about it. It’s something so big, so monumental to the DC Universe, it was worth pausing our numerous creator-owned stuff for. This special event story lets Alex do everything he’s ever wanted to do at DC.

ee: \/ Wild Storm, dawg.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 24, 2019