Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Couldn't it just mean literally low, like low of home elevation, and describe drow and aquatic elves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Progress Quest had Dung Elves. I wrote them up for I think D&D 3.5, back when I used to hang out on the GitP forums.

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?11558-Dung-Elf&highlight=dung+elf

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

theironjef posted:

Couldn't it just mean literally low, like low of home elevation, and describe drow and aquatic elves?

Describing the black skinned race of elves as “low” would probably not go over well

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

They are already called dark elves. There is nothing about that particular item of D&D lore that is salvageable.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Nuns with Guns posted:

https://twitter.com/urbanfriendden/status/1076820259246665730

I don't know why there is any debate here when dick sucking is obviously a feat chain

This is forgeting the nuance of skill checks and that not all suckjobs are created equal.

[Omitted after I realized I'd get banned for going this in detail for the joke]

See, this is why you got to really consider the person and the situation when doing a skill check. You can't treat them all the same way.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But when do we finally get Low Elves? D&D has just left that gap wide open for 40 years or something.

The Low Elves are the remnants of a failed elven peasant rebellion. The survivors fled elven lands and settled in any lands they could find. Some of them live in the roughest and most dangerous places in the world, carefully eking out a living and cultivating grudges. Most of them settled in the lands of the other civilized races; if you see an elven village that pays fealty to a human lord, odds are they're almost all Low Elves. While biologically and culturally identical to High Elves, any of the original rebels is facing a death sentence if they ever returned to elven lands and their descendants would be barely-tolerated second-class citizens.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Japanese sexy dark elves >>> Drow

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

remusclaw posted:

They are already called dark elves. There is nothing about that particular item of D&D lore that is salvageable.

See, again, D&D "races" are basically just thinly veiled racism. If you're writing a fantasy setting with them and you're not trying to subvert or parody the whole thing, you're perpetuating that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Halloween Jack posted:

What is this I need to know.
Hi I'm dumb and got the name wrong. It's this. It's Good. https://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/252519

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What's the qualitative difference between DriveThru RPG's standard heavyweight (color) and premium heavyweight (color) hardcover printing options? I've been thinking about getting a print of SWN Revised Edition for awhile now, but the price tag is a bit high for the convenience of having some dead trees to flip through.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 9, 2019

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Better paper quality, less faded looking color in the color art, and if I remember right, though this may be an old issue, premium can go to the edge of paper and standard has margins no matter what. Standard is fully acceptable by my standards.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 9, 2019

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It's been a few years since I had to think about this, but if you guys are talking about what I'm thinking, the cheaper paper is super thin: I'm looking at a paperback version of Strike! right now in the light by my window and I can see the writing on the backside of the page through the page even while it is sitting flat. I went with the cheaper stuff for the paperback for customers who wanted to get the book cheaply, and with the better stuff for the hardcover for customers who wanted a nicer product and were willing to pay more.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

remusclaw posted:

Better paper quality, less faded looking color in the color art, and if I remember right, though this may be an old issue, premium can go to the edge of paper and standard has margins no matter what. Standard is fully acceptable by my standards.

The margins you're talking about (bleed) are a difference between black-and-white and color books on DTRPG.

As Jimbozig said, the difference is page thickness and color saturation. It's a difference that may or may not be really noticeable to you (it is to me). Kevin Crawford, creator of SWN, personally doesn't care much about the difference and recommends standard print. Myself, if I want a physical copy of a book enough to buy it, I'm willing to lay down a few dozen extra dollars for a higher-quality print.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

theironjef posted:

Ah, so Hockälfar and Platälfar.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

LatwPIAT posted:

Ah, so Hockälfar and Platälfar.

I'm just saying, give all the elves a topographically derived naming scheme. Aquatic are found deeper than drow (explaining their new name, "Bluest, Deepest Elves"), then a bunch of who gives a poo poo elves from sea level, finish with the pinnacle of Moon Elves. (Eventually scholars will correctly identify that the moon has differentiated topography, but will be shouted down by scholars pointing out that Moon Elves don't even live there, who will be also shouted down by idiots yelling about Sun Elves)

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Low elves is a insulting nickname for dwarves.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Wrong thing wrong place.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
the lowest elves of all are the hellves

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

fool_of_sound posted:

the lowest elves of all are the hellves

That's all of them, eventually.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Castle Falkenstein's PDF just got updated with bookmarks.

I guess it's nice to see that people still care about things like that?

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Low elves are just the Dutch.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

LongDarkNight posted:

Low elves are just the Dutch.

Tall, strange relationship with flowers and the wind, used to be a powerful empire but now they've been declining for centuries? Sounds about right.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The lowest of low elves are the loaves, actually.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

theironjef posted:

I'm just saying, give all the elves a topographically derived naming scheme. Aquatic are found deeper than drow (explaining their new name, "Bluest, Deepest Elves")

Do they wear hats shaped like shark's fins?

Also if elves are named after where they live, I could easily see "Moon Elves" being semi-nocturnal nomadic groups who never really settle in one place for long (using their darkvision to easily see), with the name being half-sincere, half-sneer from other elves for their cousins. Sun Elves, of course, live in the non-forested areas, and the name again is half-legit half-sneer for the cousins who labor and live under the punishing and beating rays of the sun all the time. Hell, maybe all the elven names are half-sincere half-sneer, since elves just be like that.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ProfessorCirno posted:

Do they wear hats shaped like shark's fins?

Also if elves are named after where they live, I could easily see "Moon Elves" being semi-nocturnal nomadic groups who never really settle in one place for long (using their darkvision to easily see), with the name being half-sincere, half-sneer from other elves for their cousins. Sun Elves, of course, live in the non-forested areas, and the name again is half-legit half-sneer for the cousins who labor and live under the punishing and beating rays of the sun all the time. Hell, maybe all the elven names are half-sincere half-sneer, since elves just be like that.

I'm more interested in elves that live in glass and golden castles on the literal Moon and the literal Sun, respectively.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I'm more interested in elves that live in glass and golden castles on the literal Moon and the literal Sun, respectively.

Whole adventure to find the Moon Elves and when you do they just all offer to change your name for you.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Jimbozig posted:

See, again, D&D "races" are basically just thinly veiled racism. If you're writing a fantasy setting with them and you're not trying to subvert or parody the whole thing, you're perpetuating that.

won't deny that it is very easy for it to become racist either accidentally or purposefully, but to say it's inherent to the concept is just ridiculous, it's like saying that Star Trek or Star Wars is racist because they have alien races that are semi-human in appearance

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Moon elves are regular wild elves with rampant lycanthropy. Nobody ever warned anyone of this.

Sun elves just live by the coast and have Proficiency in surfboards.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Sun elves just live by the coast and have Proficiency in surfboards.

Sun elves are a subset of Rad Elves, who all wear bright t-shirts and skateboard around the place.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

To be fair the Drow not only have racial baggage but are also a hit piece on Sadomasochists and Feminists.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

remusclaw posted:

To be fair the Drow not only have racial baggage but are also a hit piece on Sadomasochists and Feminists.

Someday, Western Media will have proper and inclusive Sadomasochist representation.

Just not today.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

When they came for the Sadomasochist's there was no one left to speak.

Because the gag.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 10, 2019

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Bedlamdan posted:

Someday, Western Media will have proper and inclusive Sadomasochist representation.

Just not today.

Person of Interest, almost.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

remusclaw posted:

True

Monokeros deAstris
Nov 7, 2006
which means Magical Space Unicorn

drrockso20 posted:

won't deny that it is very easy for it to become racist either accidentally or purposefully, but to say it's inherent to the concept is just ridiculous, it's like saying that Star Trek or Star Wars is racist because they have alien races that are semi-human in appearance

This is a super bad argument. First you're conflating fantasy humanoids in general with D&D races specifically. But worse, your counterexamples are Star Trek and loving Star Wars? Remember that thing in Star Wars where almost every member of almost every nonhuman species is a complete stereotype of their species, and also where every time a species is generalized from some earlier on-screen appearance, the entire species gets stereotyped based on whatever that random person happened to be doing on screen at that moment? I mean, that kind of character and world development is racist as gently caress even if you don't care about the content of any of those stereotypes. Star Trek has its own issues here as well, of course.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

I am possibly willing to believe someone could miss the racial caricature in the Ferengi if they weren’t au courant with hardcore antisemitism (which is itself hard to believe of someone who has read the Something Awful forums), but you are out of your mind if you think there’s nothing racist about the Trade Federation.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 10, 2019

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I feel like the Drow could be reclaimed but I am not talented enough to do it. (Neither is the current D&D writing team so uh, idk what I'm trying to say here.)

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Drow get the most attention due to poo poo like cosplayers really making things cringeworthy, but it is the Orc's who tend to be coded in the worst way. Drow are an amalgamation of several lovely stereotypes, Orcs on the other hand, woof.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Some franchises have bowed to that pressure and emphasized that Orcs are like a noble tribal culture or whatever.

In D&D 5th, this just means that the "inherently evil race in thrall to an evil god" role has been pushed off onto orc-adjacent monsters like the gnolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah the "noble savage" thing is totally not racist, so that's a great move