Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manifisto

a little over two years ago, Misty Mountaintop had a shining vision: a "BYOB book which we will write" modeled incredibly loosely on the venerable Arabian Nights. Misty came up with an outline, assigned chapters, dutifully hounded the inevitable stragglers and laggards. chapters were written, although never shared publicly (they were sent directly to Misty), thoughts and plans were discussed. things officially progressed far into something like PHASE ONE. subsequent phases weren't specified in any detail, but presumably Misty was going to wrangle the draft submissions into some kind of unified narrative and write some key chapters that would, you know, flesh out a story arc and coalesce into some kind of plot.

like most notable byob projects, this one initially flourished, then floundered and faded, despite a concerted effort at a reboot about a year ago.

as I noted in prior threads, I was in touch with Misty Mountaintop some time ago, who unfortunately had to take a serious posting break. we all hope she returns and gets this thing done. in the meantime, she gave her blessing for others in byob to move forward in whatever way we saw fit.

with blaise rascal's help, I put together a unified draft of the submissions to date. I was hoping that more chapters would trickle in, and indeed a few did, and they've been incorporated into the draft. but once again things stalled out, because byob is very much like a small child, with a short attention span and easily distracted by shiny things. or maybe I am just projecting: I certainly am like that.

is there more to be done here? I don't know, but I still secretly hold out hope, just like I hope that someday the byob font will be completed, and for that matter there's some sort of saboten thread that byob was going to recreate so it could be goldmined.

what I wanted to do in the meantime was actually SHARE the stuff that has been written so far. I read it over recently, and even though it doesn't yet cohere into a traditional storyline, there's some darn fine writing in there. and a bunch of crap, I mean it is a first draft and all and it hasn't been edited except for obvious typos and formatting glitches.

so, hopefully the google drive link below will work and yobbers will be able to download this "current" draft if they are so interested. if, upon reading it, anyone feels like the project should get moving again, please say so! but even as it stands, I think it's a thing worth feeling :unsmith: about, if not positively :rznv:.

Original Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3793914

Thread Part Deux:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845832

Link to Download Current Draft:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C-ESS0vmVECNW0ZU4kEOuTqD6EtQ8Z5F/view?usp=sharing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout

I found my printout of this while sorting through papers the other day. I still haven't done anything on it :(

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
hell yes let’s finish the book!

...although, part of me hopes this project will fail because then no one will read my terrible, terrible chapter. (i think I’m gonna delete the second half of it, perhaps)

anyway, i wonder what the most obvious thing missing would be? maybe some parts of the framing story? like for instance the first chapter and the last chapter?

maybe some of us can read the current draft and try to construct WRITING ASSIGNMENTS. these might be like “write a chapter that wraps up the story. provide an epilogue for notable characters including frog, who has X characteristics, and did X things, as well as Edith, who has Y characteristics and did Y things. this is a happy ending in which two kingdoms, one like this and the other like that, put aside their differences.” or whatever

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Android Blues

i am so glad to finally be able to see other people's assignments. the central frog throughline actually seems to line up...remarkably well? as far as I've read

oh also I noticed a typo I must have made at the end of mine. amend "snot" to "not"

Android Blues

also mine is feverishly insane so the fact that prior and later chapters actually line up decently with it is frankly an achievement

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
if we actually finish this does:

a. misty mountaintop finally return?

b. byob implodes because a project finally gets finished?

c. a good book gets made?

Android Blues

yours is good blaise. i love the bit about Michale the Debator, the music box rhyme is cool, and the descriptions of the other treasures are super weird + evocative too

Manifisto

Android Blues posted:

yours is good blaise. i love the bit about Michale the Debator, the music box rhyme is cool, and the descriptions of the other treasures are super weird + evocative too

I had to leave this thread be for a little while due to a time out, but I agree, blaise I like your chapter a lot.

Android Blues posted:

also mine is feverishly insane so the fact that prior and later chapters actually line up decently with it is frankly an achievement

nah, only "insane" in a good way, I love the fleshing out of frog's character. the "rupturing reality" thing is a neat little device that would explain the difference in frog's circumstances with my chapter (although he already has kids in my chapter, but they are entirely undeveloped).

any other reactions/thoughts from the peanut gallery?

ty nesamdoom!

joke_explainer

i wished I worked on my harder and am kind of dreading its release. i write the worst sci fi

Manifisto

joke_explainer posted:

i wished I worked on my harder and am kind of dreading its release. i write the worst sci fi

dude you have great ideas and the diagram you provided was really cool. but if you wrote something I never saw it? may be my mistake, but if you did write a draft chapter feel free to email it (again?), manyfisted att gmail dawt com

ty nesamdoom!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

joke_explainer posted:

at least you did yours, i gave up on mine bc of other stuff going on and i regret not at least trying harder to finish mine

sorry ms. mountaintop

:smith:

vanisher

Luvcow posted:

at least you did yours, i gave up on mine bc of other stuff going on and i regret not at least trying harder to finish mine

sorry ms. mountaintop

:smith:

same :smith:

Sig images courtesy of the talented Luvcow, Dumb Sex-Parrot, & Death Sext

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

:smith::hf::smith:

blaise rascal

y’all can still finish your chapters! it took me until the second thread to get mine done!

unless someone stole your chapter, in which case you can choose a new one!

luvcow, I know I suggested this before, but I think you could probably turn one of your cyoa threads into a great story without too much work. just write a little text to accompany each image, and you’re good to go!

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

blaise rascal posted:

y’all can still finish your chapters! it took me until the second thread to get mine done!

unless someone stole your chapter, in which case you can choose a new one!

luvcow, I know I suggested this before, but I think you could probably turn one of your cyoa threads into a great story without too much work. just write a little text to accompany each image, and you’re good to go!

a few years ago i actually thought about doing that for "the elephant and the small cake" but it never materialized and i think i've done too many of those at this point but i agree it's a good idea. the "teddy bear" thread i did was actually a play on the elephant idea, another way of telling the story i'd wanted to tell.

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

i think i've done too many of those at this point

:colbert: never! :redass:

blaise rascal

oh I meant take one of your existing cyoa threads and turn it into a chapter. no need to make new art if you don’t want to

City of Glompton

thanks for making this thread. it would be pretty awesome to see this project come to fruition

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Manifisto

bump, since somehow the thread has not yet been locked for archiving!

ty bee eater for noticing it

ty nesamdoom!

Heather Papps

hello friend

i don't understand but i am in

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Manifisto

okay, a couple of people have contacted me about the nights, so maybe we can get some momentum going on the project again? I've started reassigning chapters that were handed out to people who didn't do anything with them (as far as I know). so if you had an assignment and were still working on it or really intend to give it a go, let me know so I don't reassign it! also if you're interested in trying your hand at a chapter (whether or not you did anything on the project previously) just say the word!

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit
I keep wanting to do a chapter but I have so much other writing I need to get done. On the other hand, if nobody agrees to do a chapter then it'll never get done. So maybe assign me a chapter and we'll just see what happens

cda

by Hand Knit
Or maybe if we had a contest where it was just one chapter, and everyone who enters writes that one chapter and then the best one wins.

Or maybe post about it in CC? Maybe there are some people over there who would enjoy this weird project? idk

cda

by Hand Knit
I wonder what happens if you run the titles of the chapters through Talktotransformer lol

Manifisto

cda posted:

I keep wanting to do a chapter but I have so much other writing I need to get done. On the other hand, if nobody agrees to do a chapter then it'll never get done. So maybe assign me a chapter and we'll just see what happens

:woop: I so want to read your chapter already

how about "The Trials of Miriam"?

ty nesamdoom!

cda

by Hand Knit

Manifisto posted:

:woop: I so want to read your chapter already

how about "The Trials of Miriam"?

Ok, maybe. We will see what happens.

cda

by Hand Knit
also...I think maybe I will sound crazy saying this but I feel like 99% certain that I saw a version of this that had chapter 1 by joke explainer in it

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Manifisto

cda posted:

also...I think maybe I will sound crazy saying this but I feel like 99% certain that I saw a version of this that had chapter 1 by joke explainer in it

I don't remember that but it's been a while, so who knows. joke explainer once gave sort of a summary of his ideas and there was even a diagram, but the chapter itself I don't think I saw. if I had I think I would have updated the draft with it.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i am setting aside time today to work on this. blender i can dip my toe in and out trying to learn, but luckily, [i]i aldl[eady kn-anfg howe to sthrpoij[/ii]

nut

I will blend and then write. I have a frog chapter and should I read the pre-existing ones so I ain't way out there? It sounds like the original project had everybody blind so maybe it's for the best if I do give the frog robot arms

Heather Papps

hello friend

THE CRAB AND THE THORNBUSH

One was from the sea, the other from land

But they had much in common

One was snippy, with pinching claws
One was spiky, a thorny maw
One had a shell of hardest chitin
The other thick skin, unto iron

They were as different and the same as could be

Until

One day

The crab left the sea

He scuttled onto land to search for his match
found instead a thorny patch
poked and snipped to no avail
Until the thornbush called a hail

“Dearest friend can you not see,
That your claws do not hurt me!
If you want permission to pass,
all you must do is ask!”

The crab muttered to himself
He thought "the bush must hide wealth
Food, mates, beyond this trail
hidden beyond the thorny veil"

So he snipped with all his wrath
Again and again, cleared a path
said to himself, “so clever am i
I am the strongest, i’ll never die!”

He scuttled his way, sideways inside
He trod as he cut the path wide
Until he found a clearing quite fine
filled with rats drinking wine

They fell upon him, drink on their breath
happy, they tore the poor crab to death
The thorn bush, with her dying gasp
Sighed;
“if only you listened, crab.”

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.
I don't have much going on these days, hit me with a chapter so I can inflict more of my terrible writing on BYOB.

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!

Manifisto

magic cactus posted:

I don't have much going on these days, hit me with a chapter so I can inflict more of my terrible writing on BYOB.

cool! how does "What Happened To The Moon Refugees" sound? bee eater had asked for a chapter earlier and I had suggested they do "Frog Destroys the Moon Palace" so while you don't have a finished chapter to base your story on, I dunno maybe you could coordinate with bee eater about what they're thinking? that's not necessary though, for the most part people have done their chapters without any reference to what other people wrote, so one more like that isn't an issue.

Heather Papps posted:

THE CRAB AND THE THORNBUSH

One was from the sea, the other from land

But they had much in common

One was snippy, with pinching claws
One was spiky, a thorny maw
One had a shell of hardest chitin
The other thick skin, unto iron

They were as different and the same as could be

Until

One day

The crab left the sea

He scuttled onto land to search for his match
found instead a thorny patch
poked and snipped to no avail
Until the thornbush called a hail

“Dearest friend can you not see,
That your claws do not hurt me!
If you want permission to pass,
all you must do is ask!”

The crab muttered to himself
He thought "the bush must hide wealth
Food, mates, beyond this trail
hidden beyond the thorny veil"

So he snipped with all his wrath
Again and again, cleared a path
said to himself, “so clever am i
I am the strongest, i’ll never die!”

He scuttled his way, sideways inside
He trod as he cut the path wide
Until he found a clearing quite fine
filled with rats drinking wine

They fell upon him, drink on their breath
happy, they tore the poor crab to death
The thorn bush, with her dying gasp
Sighed;
“if only you listened, crab.”

hp had already shared a draft of this with me and I'd told them I like it! I wasn't ignoring your efforts, and in fact thank you for your forward motion on this Very Important Project.

ty nesamdoom!

nut

the pressure is on now :c00lbert:

Heather Papps

hello friend

if you guys don't do your class assignments i am going to friggin' swoop in and do em for you okay?

Heather Papps

hello friend

Manifisto posted:

hp had already shared a draft of this with me and I'd told them I like it! I wasn't ignoring your efforts, and in fact thank you for your forward motion on this Very Important Project.

d'awww

cda

by Hand Knit
With great regret I have to admit that there's 0 chance i'm going to be able to get to the part assigned to me anytime soon, I just have too much other writing that I have to do, so if someone else comes along you can feel free to give them my chapter, and if nobody else comes along then, well, I don't know, maybe sometime in december possibly?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Heather Papps

hello friend

cda posted:

With great regret I have to admit that there's 0 chance i'm going to be able to get to the part assigned to me anytime soon, I just have too much other writing that I have to do, so if someone else comes along you can feel free to give them my chapter, and if nobody else comes along then, well, I don't know, maybe sometime in december possibly?

pm me maybe

Heather Papps

hello friend

member?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magic cactus

We lied. We are not at war. There is no enemy. This is a rescue operation.

I've been meaning to do some work on this but my life got busy in between my initial post and now. I don't wanna throw in the towel just yet though!

Thanks to Saoshyant for the amazing spring '23 sig!