Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Bought some new 18g darts. According to 10minutes of throwing them at the store, things should be improving from here on out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Surely you play soft tip?

I've played team darts my first two years but due to location change I'm playing in a different league this year and its singles, which is what I want. We play basically the same format as the premier league which is very cool, and we use Dart Connect so I can track all my poo poo online, or gf can see how I'm doing while I'm playing etc. Won my first two games last week despite terrible, terrible form. Hoping to keep on going but put up better numbers tonight. The guy who finished with the top average last week only tied one game and lost the other. Its not all about averages.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Nope. Steel tip. Just can't throw a heavier dart with my noodle arms.

I doubt I'll ever play in a league but I would like to get good enough I wouldn't be laughed out of the room if I did go.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You should try one of the many training apps out there to play against the computer and track your stats. Have a look at Wayne Mardle's twitter, he is always giving advice on there, and it can really help. Main thing is having a firm stance, dont waver, during your throw your motion should be limited to the forearm and the rest of you shouldn't move. Keep that elbow up, your arm should be up nice and parallel to the floor. Try not to think too much about your grip, keep it nice and natural. A strong follow through is important as well, the arm should be going with the dart towards its target.

Started my night last night with an awful 45 average but somehow came away with a 7-2 win. Guy was shooting 19s and was missing the board a lot, making it easy for me. I still couldn't finish and had to finish 3 legs on double 1. Terrible. I was a bit more comfortable in the second match and still only put up a 56, but won 7-3. We were going leg for leg and after I went up 4-3 I said gently caress this, I'm going to break his throw now and not look back. Suddenly the tons and 140s started piling in and he was clearly becoming discouraged. The guy had a very flimsy throw and I cant believe he did as well as he did. Darts is so hard on the head, I know on a technical level I'm more sound than most of them, but you will always get these guys in pubs who have the most ridiculous throws, but it can work for them. Not with any kind of threatening consistency though.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I use MyDartTraining on android for stat tracking. It's a nice app, or at least I think so.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Does that one offer any practice routines? I use Darts Scorer on Windows, that has an array of options, and great tracking.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

It's got a whole lotta stuff.

Though I mostly RTW or RTW Scoring, 501 against my own practice stats, and the JDC challenge for laughs. I've recently added Bob's 27 just because I need to spend more time shooting at doubles. Though should just do 3 darts at each double more.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

It takes time. But I went from ~45 average to ~60+ in a year. Dont change up your gear once you get comfortable, thats another thing. I'm a collector and always buying new darts when I shouldn't be. Dont do that unless you know theres something lacking in your set.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

How chewed up can my flights get before I should replace?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

That's a good question. Make sure you buy your poo poo on darts corner, and stock up so you don't have to worry about it. If you're just practicing at home, ehh... But for actual games, well for example I've taken to changing before each league night this year. I just switched back to my Carrera Azurris and the pixel grip demolishes flights when you group. I find using aggressive grips, thicker flights will shred faster instead of giving way a bit like the flimsier ones. Some people use the moulded flights which are more expensive but much tougher. L style, clic, target just came out with the 8 flight screw on system. There's a bunch of options out there. But look to the pros on TV. They only use traditional flights

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
https://twitter.com/OfficialPDC/status/1202921403454021634

Take a ride on the hype train, we're almost there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You don't know how hard I have to try not to double post. CARE ABOUT DARTS, GOONS!

Barney's form at the PC finals is encouraging, I don't think we'll get another disappointment like last year. It's unreal how much weaker the field feels overall not just due to MvG winning less bombastically, but Gary being out of it and to a lesser extent, Wright. Gurney hasn't had a good year either, same as Smith. So it should be easy picking for the world #1 but it's in his own hands, as usual.

Have to respect Price who is the de facto #2 going forward unless Anderson has an unlikely return to form at his age.

It's been too long already, cant wait for more darts. I even sprung for the streaming script.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Tonight is going to be a very welcome distraction. Decent opening night as well.

quote:

Jelle Klaasen v Kevin Burness (First Round)
Kim Huybrechts v Geert Nentjes (First Round)
Luke Humphries v Devon Petersen (First Round)
Michael van Gerwen v Klaasen/Burness (Second Round)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Almost hope klassen gets through, almost hope he doesn't. Interesting to see what would happen between him and MvG given their history

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
I actually threw darts at a bar in Chicago for the first time in years last night. I played in leagues all the time when I lived in Nashville but Chicago is not as good a spot for darts.

Time to buy some new darts and see how I am these days.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

dartscorner.co.uk. Prices in the west are still ridiculous basically everywhere. Good luck and ask in here if you have any questions.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Petersen just doesn't seem in this, but Humphries just can't keep the pressure on.

edit: Petersen closing that 94 for the set after a first dart bull bounceout was pretty choice.

edit2: welp, no shock at that outcome aside from Humphries killer 160 out to end any momentum Petersen had.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 13, 2019

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Opening was as solid as hoped for. Bit of a finishing masterclass all round.

quote:

Saturday December 14
Afternoon Session (1230 GMT)
3x First Round, 1x Second Round
Darius Labanauskas v Matthew Edgar (First Round)
Ryan Meikle v Yuki Yamada (First Round)
Luke Woodhouse v Paul Lim (First Round)
Jermaine Wattimena v Luke Humphries (Second Round)

Evening Session (1900 GMT)
Mark McGeeney v Matt Campbell (First Round)
Jamie Hughes v Zoran Lerchbacher (First Round)
Raymond van Barneveld v Darin Young (First Round)
Rob Cross v Kim Huybrechts (Second Round)

Gotta love Paul Lim, still going at the age of 124.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Very dicey game for MvG yesterday but at this point, not sure why I entertain the possibility that he might lose prior to his opponent actually having match darts. I didn't realize it was starting again today so early. Looking forward to Barney's game tonight. Hopefully not another disappointment like last year

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Whoops. It was the result he deserved for his attitude in the last couple of years though honestly, it's a shame but life goes on.

quote:

Sunday December 15
Afternoon Session (1230 GMT)
Kyle Anderson v Xiaochen Zong (First Round)
Ross Smith v Ciaran Teehan (First Round)
Brendan Dolan v Nitin Kumar (First Round)
Ian White v Darius Labanauskas (Second Round)

Evening Session (1900 GMT)
Arron Monk v Jose Justicia (First Round)
Andy Boulton v Danny Baggish (First Round)
James Richardson v Mikuru Suzuki (First Round)
Michael Smith v Luke Woodhouse (Second Round)

Suzuki has a reasonable chance of being the first woman to win a WC game, and let's be honest not much else stands out. Maybe Baggish will deliver.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah I have the TV on but I'm not going to actively pay attention much today. Rough slate.

I'm crestfallen for Barney, I never thought it would happen like that again. Friggin Young play the game of his life and probably struggle to average 80 in his next game. Just disgusting all around.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Well that's Cross and Smith gone already

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Disastrous year for Smith. Cross I'm less surprised about. Hope it's a more interesting slate of games tomorrow. MvG doesn't play for over a week or something. Pulling for VvdV and William O'Connor here too

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

I was mostly accurate, Baggish fell over the line and Suzuki couldn't have come much closer. I think the :smith: emote was made for Michael.

quote:

Monday December 16
Evening Session (1900GMT)
Steve Lennon v Callan Rydz (First Round)
William O'Connor v Marko Kantele (First Round)
Vincent van der Voort v Keane Barry (First Round)
Gary Anderson v Brendan Dolan (Second Round)

I feel like drinking a Guinness for some reason. They're all in with a reasonable shout as well.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Smith is going to need a big mental epiphany if he is going to make it. He is lost up there. Needs to take his time with his throw, and to get a new loving haircut.

Was looking forward to burning some time at the office today watching the games but its a later start. I'll definitely be watching the first 3. Keep in mind as well that Dolan is Northern Irish

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 16, 2019

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Am I the only one that is bored by Edhouse's constant over-reactions after every single visit? Especially this match since Koltsov is throwing relatively poorly, it just makes him seem like a huge prick.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

More bothered by those stupid wobbly darts.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Well done Sherrock, RIP Chris Evans love child

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Watershed moment.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

It's kind of remarkable how flat the tournament's felt after that, like everyone's going through the motions. Gerwyn Price is up tonight so that might change.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

What do you want to emphasize when you say world championships? Is it the best in the world, or the best from each individual place in the world? They obviously go with the latter and I'm not sure I agree with it. I enjoy the tournament being so long and large scale, but there aren't 96 players out there to keep it truly interesting, though there have been some great games between mediocre players thus far. I mean van Gerwen won on opening night and dont play again til the 22nd, and even that will be (should be) another easy game.

Pulling for Willie to have an upset against Price tonight. Its hard to say how Price (or MvG for that matter) will react to the drop off of big names. Do you seize the opportunity to move through the rounds more easily, or do you suffer for the lack of true competition?

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The Price game was definitely memorable, though for the wrong reasons. William, you require four.

codo27 posted:

What do you want to emphasize when you say world championships? Is it the best in the world, or the best from each individual place in the world? They obviously go with the latter and I'm not sure I agree with it. I enjoy the tournament being so long and large scale, but there aren't 96 players out there to keep it truly interesting, though there have been some great games between mediocre players thus far. I mean van Gerwen won on opening night and dont play again til the 22nd, and even that will be (should be) another easy game.

The ultimate goal is to make Barry Hearn as much money as possible. He added women's qualifiers as he recognised that opportunity, and he got his reward big time the other day. To build similar global opportunities he has to have players from all over the world represented. In fairness, the tournament was expanded to 96 players in the belief that all 96 could play to a reasonable standard, and I don't think there's been any sub-80 averages this year, which is probably a first.

Fake edit:
https://twitter.com/jetze_jan/status/1207690869165510656

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This is unfair for someone who's absolute best was maybe 75 or 76 (for a whole match), and that against the computer, but I expect nothing under 90.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Goddamn, Fallon :toot:

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CactusWeasle posted:

Goddamn, Fallon :toot:

Absolutely incredible. Not a fan of the crowd booing Mansur the way they did and the occasion might have gotten to him as a result but there's no doubting how good a darts player Fallon is.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Could go all the way at this rate. If she gets as far as Price, there will be blood.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Dell_Zincht posted:

Absolutely incredible. Not a fan of the crowd booing Mansur the way they did and the occasion might have gotten to him as a result but there's no doubting how good a darts player Fallon is.

Don't know if I've ever heard dead silence like that when a player steps up to throw.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

With the amount of travel and playing in different countries, I think any player has to be ready to accept whatever they get from the crowd. Yet at the same time I'd like to delete all the Yahoo's who just go to dress dumb and get drunk and have the same kinda crowd you used to have for Lowe and Bristow

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

codo27 posted:

With the amount of travel and playing in different countries, I think any player has to be ready to accept whatever they get from the crowd. Yet at the same time I'd like to delete all the Yahoo's who just go to dress dumb and get drunk and have the same kinda crowd you used to have for Lowe and Bristow

The fancy dress and drinking is a big part of the crowd experience now. I doubt if that was cut that the viewership even on tv would be the same. I reckon a snooker crowd wouldn't be invested in darts the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

The crowd are the ones bringing the money with them, they're there for good, for better or worse.

The sixth set of Lewis-Webster was a highlight of the year, by the way, ridiculous stuff.