Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Never got to watch anything yesterday. Glad de Zwaan knocked out dumbo. Should be smooth sailing for the next two matches at least for MvG.

Can't wait to get my hands on my new Carrera V Streams tomorrow. I've sorta taken a break since league playoffs last Tuesday. I was at my buddy's place last night and picked up his awful old rear end darts and had a few throws with them. Managed a 180 somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Ugh, am I the only one who hates MvG? Yeah, you're the best, we get it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

He's all class and you're not paying enough attention if you think otherwise.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

MvG looked dominant last night. Absolutely wiped the floor with Bunting.

North East Derby today with Dobey and Duzza, should be a good one!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I kinda understand why people are against MvG because by rights there's really no one who should challenge him at all until he's to the semis at least. I'm growing tired of the lamenting by the commentators when he's about to win a game, like it's a tragedy. It's a lose lose. It's a huge story for someone else if they upset him. Boring for everyone if he steamrolls someone shooting a pub average.

Hoping he meets Price in the final. That'll be something

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

codo27 posted:

He's all class and you're not paying enough attention if you think otherwise.

https://twitter.com/SportMoments4Al/status/1211384145059950592

Meanwhile, after all the show boating, ceiling smashing, big fishing, and dart throwing, we're down to a last four that many will have expected. Wanting an MvG-Wright final is the literal definition of madness, but the other three possibilities are mouth watering.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres a lot of talk about that moment but I understand it. It reminds me of some poo poo I probably would have done when I was playing a lot of competitive Mortal Kombat. Who the gently caress are you to attempt a friendship on me?

Anything can happen, thats why they play the games. Hard to imagine anything but MvG-Price, Wright has big talk but he will capitulate if Price can deliver.

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

codo27 posted:

Anything can happen, thats why they play the games. Hard to imagine anything but MvG-Price, Wright has big talk but he will capitulate if Price can deliver.

Price most certainly did not deliver, looks like another championship for MVG now but like you say, that’s why they play the games.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Hindsight 20/20 but I guess it was a lot to deliver for Price who has been good for quite a stretch this year when he really had no business doing it. Wright has been better in the tournament but I believe he will capitulate under pressure if MvG can even put on a B+ effort. I understand the mindset though and his biggest obstacle will be the potential of not respecting Wright enough

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jig6HseykIw

I suppose it was never in doubt.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've skipped the recent posts to avoid spoilers, but does anyone know if BBC America will be showing The Darts again this year? I saw DAZN had picked up rights, but I'm not paying for another god drat streaming service if it's already on BBCA. It's a little worrying there are no references to it on my cable box or BBC America's dedicated Twitter, other than one result.

hrollins
May 20, 2003
Radio Friendly Unit Shifter

CBJSprague24 posted:

I've skipped the recent posts to avoid spoilers, but does anyone know if BBC America will be showing The Darts again this year? I saw DAZN had picked up rights, but I'm not paying for another god drat streaming service if it's already on BBCA. It's a little worrying there are no references to it on my cable box or BBC America's dedicated Twitter, other than one result.

Not sure, I picked up DAZN in the states just for boxing, have been very happy with the darts/other sports that they keep adding on a regular basis. Changeup is also the only way to watch baseball, every sport is better with red zone ADD broadcasting. I hope the NBA and DAZN add something similar soon.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Peter Wright :woop:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

HappyCamperGL posted:

Na na na na na na na na na
Peter Peter Wright Peter Wright Peter Peter Wright

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Still flabbergasted. Never should have happened, I dont care how much of a good story it is. Too much exhibition poo poo and not enough focus.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

Turns out Madness made a whole heap of other songs that could fit the moment. Our Trousers Of Fun. This year is broken.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

HappyCamperGL posted:

gently caress yeah.

Also over the moon that Duzza has been selected for the Premier League, if anyone deserves it it's him for the debut year he's had.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Great OP, I have had an inclination to throw some darts recently despite not actually watching the sport. I saw an MVG set with board, cabinet and two sets of darts for £40 online, though figure if it isnt much more to get a better board and set of darts I may aswell just do that. My wife has banished any potential dart activity to the shed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Don't buy the bundle set! Get a pro grade board with thinner wires (gladiator 3, blade 5, eclipse HD 2, bulls 5.01 advantage etc) less bounce outs so less damage to your darts and floors. Check out Designa darts for your first set, they have a vast array of quality options for cheap

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Thanks for the advice, I did think that might be the case regarding the bundle. I'm hoping to throw enough darts at home to at least be mildly competent before seeking out a team.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Find a pub near you with blind draws, no expectations. Also theres webcamdarts which I may have mentioned in the OP. I like DartsScorer on the Windows store to play vs the computer and track stats, also prob mentioned in OP.

Here is most if not all of the Pro grade boards with the thin wires https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?cPath=342_1077 . I started out with the Blade 5 but moved to the Gladiator 3 after it wore out, the Gladiator is still in amazing condition after 14 months of daily use. If you are spending any time practicing on it once you get one, you want to rotate the board for every couple of hours of play or so. Not so much a big deal in the beginning when you wont be peppering that triple 20, but later on for sure. I'd recommend installing some kind of physical toe line instead of just drawing one or using tape, etc, especially seeing you mentioned the shed. Much nicer and consistent with anywhere you will eventually compete having something to actually put your foot up against.

Before you develop any bad habits, former pro and current commentator Wayne Mardle has a bunch of videos you ought to check out https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCJeL9GKwbURyiyTss4tw1eQ
Bobby George has this one as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zz_-wFF99Y

These are some things you should invest in, all pretty cheap.
This will make setting up your measurements very easy, though of course its easy enough with a standard measuring tape https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_341&products_id=13420. Center of the bullseye should be 5'8 from the floor. The toe line should be 7'9 1/4" from the front of the board.
This for centering your board. https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_341&products_id=21694 I'm buying the One80 Rotafix soon which will let you set the board up once and then click from black segment to black segment without need for this, so thats up to you. If you buy the Gladiator 3, some of them come with the Rotafix.
You will break shafts. This is a handy thing to have in your bag https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=340_341&products_id=35447
To greatly reduce or almost eliminate the breakage of shafts, punch your flights using one of these https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/index.php?cPath=340_2734. And then use these rings in the holes https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=69050. These have been a revelation for me. I hardly ever break shafts anymore, I only really change them to switch up the look of my darts. Flights will pop off a whole lot less as well. \

These would be great starting darts for you https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=42992. They mimic Gary Anderson's Noir darts and are very popular. The classic "ring grip" is very common even and especially among the pros. There are all kinds of fancy darts out there you can get, but the pros all mainly use pretty simplified stuff. 23-25 gram would be a good starting point, and go from there. The pros all mainly range from 21-25 with a few outliers, but in the pubs you'll see people go up into the 30s sometimes and the odd one below 20. I think if you took a survey of the top 32 guys the mean dart weight would be about 22 or 23 so take from that what you will.
Few quid cheaper again would be something like this https://www.dartscorner.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=15258. Of course, its all up to you. I'll be as best a guide as I can.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Wow thanks for giving me such an indepth reply! :) some very good tips in there for example I was going to just use tape for the oche line but I see what you mean about doing it properly so I will be more accustomed to it when I come across it 'in the wild.' I will post again when I have got setup and thrown a few thousand to let you know how I'm getting on!

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I resigned myself to the fact there wouldn't be BBC America coverage of The Darts for the Worlds, so I went to PDC's Facebook and Nana na na nanana na na na....Not, not MVG, MVG, it's not MVGeee

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thank god there is real live darts coming this weekend. Its been too long, especially after that finals fiasco.

Tough night at the office last night. Won 4 of 20 legs. I moved up a league for a better challenge and I'm getting it. Tough trying to squeak by barely managing a 60 average against top guys into the 70s

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: Nana na na nanana na na na....BBCA's back. Darts are back. THE, THE DARTS ARE BAAAAACK!

https://twitter.com/DartsBBCA/status/1225464671362220032

V: Thank Christ.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sunday mornings? Grotesque. I just shelled out for the PDCTV scrip

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

codo27 posted:

Sunday mornings? Grotesque. I just shelled out for the PDCTV scrip

DVR. It's unclear if BBCA will livestream on Facebook or not this year, too.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

This winless streak for the GOAT is getting concerning. Even though he really did turn it on big time to tie after being down 7-4 in that final, it was too late by then. I think it will come though, just hopefully sooner.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MVG/Aspinall was fantastic.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

:siren: NINE DARTER :siren:

Why are there only nine players in the standings again this year? I know Gary Anderson went out with an injury last year and they brought visiting players in to be the 10th each week.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Mar 1, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Same thing this year, they call them challenges instead of contenders

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

MVG/Smith: Stop, stop, he's already dead.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Bizarre that my boy Durrant (seriously, he lives around the corner from me) is top of the Premier League right now.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Things seem to be coming back to reality as far as van Gerwen's form, so I dont think it'll be for much longer. But impressive nonetheless. When you look at the way someone like Aspinall has come out of nowhere to rise up the ranks, you see how much is up for grabs beyond the 1-2 positions in the OoM.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

codo27 posted:

Things seem to be coming back to reality as far as van Gerwen's form, so I dont think it'll be for much longer. But impressive nonetheless. When you look at the way someone like Aspinall has come out of nowhere to rise up the ranks, you see how much is up for grabs beyond the 1-2 positions in the OoM.

Oh no way in hell do I think Duzza will actually win the Premier League. I'm just happy he's going to make it past Judgement Night :)

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
Been using this extra time to get back into the game, been throwing decently enough and filled a few 180s again after three years off but average isn't anything to write home about yet. Got some dark thunders coming in the mail and surprisingly have never had a straight barrel with ring grip ever so we'll see how those go for me.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wayne mardle released a few new videos lately and one was on how you need to plant your foot and distribute your weight. Helped me a lot and I've begun to get back to the point I was at before things went downhill about a year ago. Loads of 180s and getting my confidence back on the ton plus finishing

Kouerson
Mar 5, 2008

If you die in Canada, you die in real life.
I watched those! Very handy, love his barren outdoor shed save for the massive dart in the background.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Brother in law just renovated himself a games room. The dart board is going up soon, but I haven't tossed a dart since October. I am scared shitless that i am going to be the rube that puts a hole in his brand new wall. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Thats what surrounds are for. Thick rope works too. I put up one of those foam puzzle pieces but you want at least two by rights or else it just goes through. I never bothered to put up anything in this apartment and lately when practicing doubles I've actually hit the wall a few times going low. Oops.

Kouerson posted:

the massive dart in the background.

Do you know where it comes from?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 17, 2020