Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

A friend asked me, "Want to see a movie where John C Riley plays Holmes Watson in a detective movie?" and said I'd give it a shot, and I didn't do any research. I just wanted to see the good doctor Steven Brule on the big screen.

Instead, I got two constant lovely fake English accents and Will Ferrel's worn out schtick failing to carry a script that reeks of early 2017 topical humor. The film starts out with a bit about Holmes's childhood and it was the best part of the movie. If they'd continued it as they did the first five minutes it might have been servicable.

Anyone else get scammed into seeing this one? Is there some clown out there who actually enjoyed it?

Edited because my opening sentence was almost as bad as this movie's script

Hatsune Mike fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
He plays Watson, op.

How does it compare to Stepbrothers?

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

Blood Boils posted:

He plays Watson, op.

How does it compare to Stepbrothers?

Brain fart, I knew that much going into it.

When it was finishing, I thought that it must be getting shredded in reviews and is going to be a bomb. I looked it up, and it's doing a lot worse than I thought. I haven't seen Stepbrothers, but it looks like it was received much better than this was. I've never watched the two work as a duo before, but my hunch is that everything they've ever done together is better than this one.

This movie is all over the place. There are a few recurring themes that could have been moulded into an okay comedic take on Sherlock Holmes, but it doesn't stick to any one thing. Many buddy comedies work because there is a half-reasonable underlying plot or motivation, and we enjoy a likeable duo of characters who play off each other very well. The earliest scenes portraying the adult Holmes and Watson lead you to believe that Holmes is a clown, barely mitigated by a reasonable Dr. Watson, but within the same scene this impression breaks down, and they're both buffoons making obtuse jokes about the century. Perhaps if they stuck to a more consistent character representation, it could have worked out better.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I don't know why the studio dropped this in the middle of Christmas with basically zero promotion. They clearly knew it was terrible, why didn't they wait until the January/February wasteland and release it when it wouldn't have any competition? Are they so ashamed of it they would hope no one would notice? Did they want to get it out in 2018 for tax purposes?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Step Brothers sucks.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think that in general, comedies that look like they were shot for TV are going to continue to have a hard time drawing people to the theater.

Hatsune Mike
Oct 9, 2013

General Dog posted:

I don't know why the studio dropped this in the middle of Christmas with basically zero promotion. They clearly knew it was terrible, why didn't they wait until the January/February wasteland and release it when it wouldn't have any competition? Are they so ashamed of it they would hope no one would notice? Did they want to get it out in 2018 for tax purposes?

It smells to me like a situation of realizing they had a turd on their hands, and not having time or budget to mitigate it properly with rewrites, reshoots, or heavy editing. I guess dropping it like this meant they could recuperate some wasted dollars from rubes like myself, and maybe that's easier for them to do during the holiday season. I doubt they will make back even half their budget, but I can comment that the theater was fairly full. We were not the only people to have been scammed into seeing this movie, and it hasn't reached a cult status like The Room (and it never will) so I doubt anybody went into it expecting it to be terrible.

I was so clueless going into it that I thought this might be John C Riley playing a serious role, and I was very curious to see that.

This is a duo with a reputation for movies that have been at least reasonably well received, and made back their development costs for the most part. I wonder if this got the greenlight relatively easily, and there wasn't a lot of external oversight during its development, all due to faith in the leading talent. Could this be just another example of the dangers of siloed development?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Watch some Paul Thomas Anderson if you want to see a serious (at least, more serious) John C. Reilly. He's a pretty major character and plays it mostly straight in Magnolia.

His role in Boogie Nights kind of set the template for his career as lovable doofus sidekick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Heck if you want to go a little more schlocky, Riley in Kong Skull Island is amazing. His whole character arc made me tear up. It's wonderful.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

John C. Reilly is really good. Will Ferrell is actually good too, but somebody has got to do more than just point the camera at him and let him improv for 90 minutes.

The House from last year might be the worst wide-release comedy of the decade. But I haven't seen Holmes and Watson yet. Or The Happytime Murders

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Step Brothers sucks.

I usually agree with you (outside of superhero stuff) but you wrong CP. It's the best manchild comedy by far, leagues better than any of those moralizing Knocked Up ones

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

How come every big comedy actor becomes box office poison after a while.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

CelticPredator posted:

Step Brothers sucks.

This is the wrong opinion to the point of being objectively wildly incorrect. Step Brothers is hilarious. I haven’t seen Holmes and Watson yet but I have a suspicion that a lazy writer and a lazy director thought letting them improv enough would work instead of actually giving them a solid script to work and riff off of. Step Brothers is a perfect example of not only comedy done right, but letting the stars make it their own and add their special flavor that makes it that extra hilarious. I would compare it to Tommy Boy, in the sense that Farley takes what is for all intents and purposes a solid script and elevates it to the prestige that we currently know it as today. I’d be willing to bet that the studio doesn’t understand that Ferrell and Reilly work best when yelling at each other, but only when they have funny things to yell about. They polish something that’s already solid. They aren’t able to save an unsalvageable piece of garbage that should’ve been revised before even a minute was filmed.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CelticPredator posted:

Step Brothers sucks.

That's it - I want to punch you really freaking hard in the arm!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

WE DID NOT JUST BECOME BEST FRIENDS

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Even when I was at the height of being sick of Will Ferrell, I loved Step Brothers. I still kinda want to watch Holmes and Watson, but I'll wait to Redbox it I guess.

Shame they didn't do that Step Brothers sequel where they're tired of being working adults and apply for retirement.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Uncle Wemus posted:

How come every big comedy actor becomes box office poison after a while.

They get overplayed. I still like Ferrell a lot, but that's probably because I've only seen like 3 of his starring roles and a handful of SNL sketches.

Undersold
Oct 12, 2002

Join me for a glass of champagna

General Dog posted:

John C. Reilly is really good. Will Ferrell is actually good too, but somebody has got to do more than just point the camera at him and let him improv for 90 minutes.

The House from last year might be the worst wide-release comedy of the decade. But I haven't seen Holmes and Watson yet. Or The Happytime Murders

The House was actually quite enjoyable and funny considering I came to it expecting a horrid movie.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Undersold posted:

The House was actually quite enjoyable and funny considering I came to it expecting a horrid movie.

I'm the part where they condensed 40 minutes of plot into a 5 minute montage and basically have Jason Mantzoukas narrate what was supposed to happen in act 2.

Now make no mistake, the movie certainly didn't need to be any longer, and all of this cut material must have been dire when you look at the stuff that they actually kept in the movie, but I just don't think I've ever seen anything like it before. They seemingly cut half of the actual story almost entirely out of the movie and replaced it with content that you'd normally expect to be relegated to outtakes and deleted scenes on the DVD.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Undersold posted:

It was also nice to see Jason Mantzoukas actually cast as a Greek person.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Step Brothers is better than Anchorman.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

TrixRabbi posted:

This is correct and true

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Yuuup. Basically the more of a role/screen time you give to Kathryn Hahn, the better the movie becomes

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

TrixRabbi posted:

This is fact.

Step Brothers and The Other Guys are Ferrell's best movies.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ughhhhhhh

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Fun fact: The studio knew they had a bomb and tried to sell it to Netflix, they declined.

This movie's biggest problems are the constant low-hanging fruit and beating the same joke to death. The Donald Trump jokes that were far less clever than the writers probably assumed were also tedious.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Vintersorg posted:

Ballad of Ricky Bobby is solidly in there as well, I feel.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Ballad of Ricky Bobby is solidly in there as well, I feel.

It one of his best, I feel, because there's an actual story with a beginning, middle, and end to it. Step Brothers, and Anchorman, while funny, just felt like a collection of separate gags edited together. This is particular with Anchorman, when they released a whole separate DVD that was made up of a discarded storyline.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

With Will Ferrell there was that basketball movie, that racecar movie, the ice skating movie and the dodgeball movie that Ferrell wasn't even in. Those all get lumped into the same pile in my head.

There was also the ping pong movie that may or may not have had Ferrell in it but that goes in the pile too.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Blood Boils posted:

Yuuup. Basically the more of a role/screen time you give to Kathryn Hahn, the better the movie becomes

She was the best of "The Goods", a movie inferior in every way to "Used Cars"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Tom Gorman posted:

With Will Ferrell there was that basketball movie, that racecar movie, the ice skating movie and the dodgeball movie that Ferrell wasn't even in. Those all get lumped into the same pile in my head.

There was also the ping pong movie that may or may not have had Ferrell in it but that goes in the pile too.

The ping pong one was surprisingly good, but I too can't remember if he was in it or not

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Balls of Fury. You might be confusing him with Christopher Walken, who played a Ferrell like role.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

This movie was a loving mess. The problem isn't that they let them improv too much, it's that they didn't improv at all and had a director who knew nothing but sticking to a god awful script, with no jokes, a lovely plot, and boring sets.

I truly can not underestimate just how boring this movie is in every dimension possible. The baby Jesus / dinner scene in Talladega Nights has more interesting characters, jokes, and visuals than this entire movie combined.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

They didn't open with the childhood in the UK release. Instead Watson is going to commit suicide by throwing himself from his roof. Holmes is growing a huge marrow and is worried that Watson will fall and squash it so he keeps suggesting different methods of suicide which Watson mistakes for attempts to save his life and so becomes his friend.

It was terrible, I'm not sure how Holmes was supposed to be so competent and incompetent at the same time. Also a Ghost parody in 2018!?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

bessantj posted:

They didn't open with the childhood in the UK release. Instead Watson is going to commit suicide by throwing himself from his roof. Holmes is growing a huge marrow and is worried that Watson will fall and squash it so he keeps suggesting different methods of suicide which Watson mistakes for attempts to save his life and so becomes his friend.

It was terrible, I'm not sure how Holmes was supposed to be so competent and incompetent at the same time. Also a Ghost parody in 2018!?

What the gently caress?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Vintersorg posted:

This is fact.

I wish I liked The Other Guys more than I do. I remember at some point the plot becomes more important than the jokes, and I got a bit bored then. Maybe it needs a rewatch.

I do remember the desk pop having me creasing with laughter to the point I had to hit pause, mind.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

The jokes are pretty non-stop until the end when they actually have to solve the crime and it takes over, hehe.

But up until then - it's amazing. Whisper fight is cinematic gold.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

General Dog posted:

Holmes and Watson is much worse that the House. I was really scared that the American doctor was going to be Moriarty after a sex change so the movie could have been worse.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 7, 2019

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

This is fact.

The Other Guys is actually a legit good cop movie that even manages to make a comment on the genre and how its influenced the real world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jutsuka
Jun 5, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

This is fact.

No, that would be 'Stranger Than fiction' and 'Casa de mi Padre'.