Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Not sure where else to ask, but is there like a website that gives a daily or weekly prompt and a list of submissions to that prompt, (maybe allowing upvoting by those who submitted) or something similar?
Or should it be made?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron posted:

Not sure where else to ask, but is there like a website that gives a daily or weekly prompt and a list of submissions to that prompt, (maybe allowing upvoting by those who submitted) or something similar?
Or should it be made?

Something like Sketch Daily on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SketchDaily

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Something like Sketch Daily on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SketchDaily

You know, that looks like it would work, thanks!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Been really struggling lately with depression-stuff, so it was good to break the drought today, even if I didn't get masses done:

Rando photo study

My friend looking weirdly Judge Dredd.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

Been really struggling lately with depression-stuff, so it was good to break the drought today, even if I didn't get masses done:

Rando photo study

My friend looking weirdly Judge Dredd.

Nice sketches! The bottom one reminds me a bit of Emo Philips

One month completed... a little bit early! 11 to go

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Madonna and Child, early 21st century, Our Lady of Perpetual Hip, Portland, OR

God drat did I screw up the size of her head

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

dupersaurus posted:

I like the baby mustache :kimchi:

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

lofi posted:

I'm sorry your dealing with sadbrains, poo poo sucks hard.
Your friend looks like she's judging me from the 60's.

The vampires are becoming a Thing and I'm in denial about it 'cause there's nothing that can ruin a good thing like slapping a definite label on it.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

:kimchi:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

don't worry it looks cool! religious iconography is not known for adhering strictly to realistic proportions anyway

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

WIP on a commission. It took me over a month to consider that maybe i should use actual CG

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

n i c e

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

I love this so much, you don't even know. Such attention to detail, too!

This is so 80's I can smell the hairspray from here. Good job capturing the aesthetic!

You can expect this bullshit to continue until further notice, I got like 3 more proper characters and several miscellanious to burn through yet.

d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

Phylodox posted:

http://dafont.com

I’ve found some good fonts there, and you have the option of searching for only 100% free use fonts.

Thanks for this and everyone else who suggested fonts. I got a font that was free for commercial use and that the guy comissioning me was happy with.

Here's the near completed work (Just gotta throw on credits etc on in the bottom space once he sends them over)

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get into something closer to a daily drawing habit. Fostering healthy habits is hard!

Here's some life drawings! They vary from 5 to 20 mins.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Crocobile posted:

Hi everyone! I'm hoping to get into something closer to a daily drawing habit. Fostering healthy habits is hard!

these are fantastic. what a neat technique. what kind of ink are you using? (i can't tell if these are digital or not because i'm dumb)

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

mosspunk

edit: sometimes random bullshit seems to appear by magic overnight and ill go crazy unless i fix it

Al ! fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Feb 3, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Yes. YES. HAHAHAHAHA YESSSS you glorious chunky blep, c'mere, I'm gonna hug the gently caress out of you.

Crocobile posted:

Hi! Welcome to the thread! Developing new habits IS difficult. It helps if you set aside a specific time in your day when you do the art thing, don't trust that you'll always feel like doing art every day on your own. I love these all, but this one especially (the 20 min ones, I take it?) . The two tones of the markers blend beautifully to create volume. I also chose this one to quote because...

Flavius Aetass posted:

(i can't tell if these are digital or not because i'm dumb)

Not being able to tell is not a function of your intelligence! In non-obvious cases it takes time to develop the eye.
The biggest tell that this is traditional is the scanner-darkening in the lower-right corner. The paper is uneven, bent up at that corner and as a result, the scanner's light has scattered instead of capturing the white of the paper.
More subtle signs include the smudging and light blowout of the black ink that's happened when marker has been added after the black ink outlines, visible especially in the dark greyish shade left on the right character's hair stubble, the braid going down her arm, and the "poo poo I ran my hand over this too quick" marks under the character's right arm where the darkest area is. (also visible in the third pic in the same place) There's also an unevenness to the distribution of colour on the markers that's hard to replicate with digital (look at the original red knee line, how it's blorted out strong colour when the marker's been put down, then fades with the quickly made stroke when the flow of the marker can't physically keep up). The red marker shows the same signs of drying out in the two pics above it - the blue marker in the topmost pic flows better.
You'll note the topmost blue pic (compare to the red pic under) has a soft focus throughout, with a slightly darkened area of paper grain or IRL smudge visible throughout the character's shading on the areas where there's no black outline - again, an effect that doesn't appear in digital art.

One of these days someone is gonna look at all this and purposefully make a pic with added scanner darkening and paper grain and finely crafted smudges and be smug af.

Al ! posted:

mosspunk

I can tell that this is digital from some of the pixels. :eng101:
Also it turns out mosspunk is extremely my jam. I really like how you go effortlessly from dark cities to lonely nature.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

One of these days someone is gonna look at all this and purposefully make a pic with added scanner darkening and paper grain and finely crafted smudges and be smug af.
I just think it is super impressive from a hardware/software perspective how good digital art is nowadays. On the other hand, digital is allowed to have it's own style and feel, no reason to replicate traditional media. But yeah, what do I know.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm using the free sketchbook app on my ipad to draw while I'm out and about. There's some things I really wished it had (like clip layers and cropping..) but it's handy and free and feels comfortable for doodling. I really want to upgrade to procreate but I'm only going to do so after 100 drawings to prove it's financially worthwhile.

Also... backgrounds. who needs 'em?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not all that visible but the top one is postcard sized, the bottom one playing card.

The bottom one was made for a goon and of course my wife loved it and I will have to make a new one.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I've had a huge art dry spell, so I'm trying to ease back drawing more frequently with some simple studies. Have an egg:

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

Flavius Aetass posted:

these are fantastic. what a neat technique. what kind of ink are you using? (i can't tell if these are digital or not because i'm dumb)

Thanks! I blocked in the color & shapes (pink & blue) with very old Prismacolor markers, and then inked it (black) with a Pentel Arts Pocket Brush Pen. It's hands-down the best brush pen I've ever used, and it has refillable ink cartridges!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Hi! Welcome to the thread! Developing new habits IS difficult. It helps if you set aside a specific time in your day when you do the art thing, don't trust that you'll always feel like doing art every day on your own. I love these all, but this one especially (the 20 min ones, I take it?) . The two tones of the markers blend beautifully to create volume.

Thanks! That's a good idea; I definitely can't trust myself to always feel like making art but if I have a project or deadline it can help. Yes, those are the 20s!

MY GOODNESS what a good mail pup. I love how sturdy he is, and gosh that isometric perspective is great! The color-scheme is also super pleasing.

My friend commissioned me to paint her dog so I spent today doing some studies of the reference she sent me. Shapes blocked in with Prismacolor markers and drawn over with ballpoint pen. Hope to get some thumbnails ready tonight!

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Crocobile posted:

those are gorgeous studies!!

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Drawing Throsby fanart. This lovely gal is Trinketjuice, a model on a mission to save her world from nuclear war by making love to the president. I'm not kidding.
Thorsby fanart :wth: ah man I need to get around to doing some sometime, his comics are absolutely mad

anyways. messin about with eyesore colors

i've gotta make some new brushes for digital stuff, these ones are getting a bit tired

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

There, another monster. This one I will send.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Crocobile posted:

MY GOODNESS what a good mail pup. I love how sturdy he is, and gosh that isometric perspective is great! The color-scheme is also super pleasing.

Thank you! Half the reason why I love the dotpict app is because the palettes given out by the devs are really good and fun to puzzle out how to make the best of.

Also there's an indie game coming out called draw dog so I had to draw a dog of draw dog.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Anyone got any advice for scanning charcoal? Cos this looks p fugly, and not all of that is down to me.

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
A friend wrote a story where one of his characters is repeatedly torn apart and reformed by the light of God so I drew this up. Pretty happy with how it turned out.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I continue to draw star trek and star trek adjacent things for fun, gooferiously

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Pick posted:

I continue to draw star trek and star trek adjacent things for fun, gooferiously

very impressive trek :waycool:

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked

Is that a drawing of Curious Zelda by any chance? Either way, that cat is adorable!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Squidtamer DA posted:

Is that a drawing of Curious Zelda by any chance? Either way, that cat is adorable!

It is, thank you I love how that cat is just always looking like they're freaked out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al !
Jan 5, 2019

by Hand Knit

my buddy Superfly posted:

It is, thank you I love how that cat is just always looking like they're freaked out.

looking forward to your wikihow article