Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Yeah, exactly! Ditto hands.

e: I get the worst snipes. Here's an apology-art, of Freya the rogue, who pokes things she knows drat well are traps.

lofi fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 16, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

I think a twitch channel of 5 people playing dnd is the nerdiest thing I have seen this week.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Week? :stonk:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Last week it was me and my wife arguing about putting java method calls in your constructor, so yeah, week.

Not drawing much this week, said wife is at a conference all week and I am fulltime working single dad of four.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Skatebird is a bird that skates.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Anything metal is super intimidating to me. I should try drawing more metal things in our world before trying to shape them into silly budgies in the future.

Chaosfeather fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Apr 17, 2019

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

lofi posted:

Cars are hard! I think it's because we see them so often that it's really obvious if they're a tiny bit wrong.

They really are! I'm much more comfortable with hands and faces since I've drawn them so much. But yeah, just like hands and faces if it's off just a little then it's immediately noticeable.

1968 Mustang

1973 Datsun 610 Bluebird

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Some watercolor exercises I did with how materials respond to each other.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

duolingo owl?

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

It looks angry with me, so yeah probably.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

Kanine posted:

duolingo owl?

Pokemon! Hoothoot. OBVIOUSLY. Duh.

More bunnydragon

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Didn't have as much time this morning to spend on these this morning, unfortunately, so they're extra sketchy.
Maybe I'll go back and clean them up later. Or not.

1968 Mazda Cosmo Sport

1964 Chevy Corvair (because I love the Science Patrol's car from the 1966 Ultraman series)

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 18, 2019

Big Mackson
Sep 26, 2009

edit: inspired by depressed people in short stories by h.p lovecraft.

Big Mackson fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Apr 18, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Still swamped as gently caress with work, but I did some more animating, and some tilesetting:

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The sleeper has awakened.

Love it. Looks like me in the morning.

Here's a face:

This is my best portrait yet. It's not perfect (I don't feel like I quite captured the expression from the reference image I used), and there are probably a thousand mistakes that a more experienced artist could spot, but flipping back through my sketch books, I can see that I've gotten way way waaay better. So that's satisfying.

I find that the hardest part about portraits comes at the point where I start adding features on top of my construction lines. With just the construction lines, my brain will happily interpret it as "head-shaped". With half-drawn eyesockets and an unshaded nose and mouth, it's hard to convince myself that it will ever look like anything other than a collection of lines, so I have to really convince myself to power through and keep working on it. When I do, the drawing inevitably starts looking like a person again.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

1974 AMC Hornet

1973 Ford Falcon XB GT

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tayacan posted:

I find that the hardest part about portraits comes at the point where I start adding features on top of my construction lines. With just the construction lines, my brain will happily interpret it as "head-shaped". With half-drawn eyesockets and an unshaded nose and mouth, it's hard to convince myself that it will ever look like anything other than a collection of lines, so I have to really convince myself to power through and keep working on it. When I do, the drawing inevitably starts looking like a person again.

To be honest and coming from a person who is bad at drawing: try to look at everything as a bunch of lines and shadow. It will make actual reproduction easier.

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Keetron posted:

To be honest and coming from a person who is bad at drawing: try to look at everything as a bunch of lines and shadow. It will make actual reproduction easier.

Oh, I know - I have Drawing on the right side of the brain as well, though I haven't gotten very far in it yet. It's mostly a matter of convincing myself to not give up at that point in the process.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

my buddy Superfly fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

You can usually make it bigger by putting 1280.png at the end, it's tumblr's max size.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Had some doubt about posting this, it is a first for me to draw buildings outdoors and it sucks but I had fun doing it so that is something.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Numero6 posted:

You can usually make it bigger by putting 1280.png at the end, it's tumblr's max size.

Thanks! I didn't realize that one was messed up when I posted it, usually those links are safe for not messing up the page.

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Keetron posted:

Had some doubt about posting this, it is a first for me to draw buildings outdoors and it sucks but I had fun doing it so that is something.

Looks really good! And really, as long as you're enjoying yourself that makes it "good art".

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
It's chickam time, and that means chickam art!

The new generation of stars is born!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Thank you chickam.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Chickam is great! My attempts at painting? nnnnot so much.

At least I'm attempting to learn.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Chaosfeather posted:

Chickam is great! My attempts at painting? nnnnot so much.

At least I'm attempting to learn.

Is your art program one where you can buy different brushes, or where you can fiddle with the brush settings? I use Artweaver. A lot of the painterly style I do comes from the brushes I use and their settings: for my base I usually go full opacity, but when I start doing to top layers, I have my brush semi-opaque with some blending thrown in. I fiddle with the amount of blending, the opacity and the brush jitter quite a lot while drawing to get the effects I want. Blending especially lets a brushstroke pick up on the colours below it, which gives a painterly feel 'cause it creates a colour-slide with more tones held within one stroke. The jitter leaves brushstroke edges slightly crunchy and undefined. Since the brushes are tied to pen pressure, I get different-looking strokes just by varying the pressure which makes for more interesting surfaces.

The only thing separating your chicks from being seemingly painted is that the edges of colours and therefore your brushstrokes are well-defined, sharp and crisp everywhere - except on the blonde chick where you've got some soft edges from the airbrush, which does not intuitively read as painted to our eyes.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Someone in the Goon Mail exchange thread asked for Robocop so I was glad to have another subject. Also: how the hell do you mix a skin color?

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
playing with light and shadow

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://twitter.com/muffinlordArt/status/1119283890835922945?s=19
Painted some stuffed animals, 'cause that's what you do when you have a toddler.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Tayacan posted:

Oh, I know - I have Drawing on the right side of the brain as well, though I haven't gotten very far in it yet. It's mostly a matter of convincing myself to not give up at that point in the process.

Hey buddy, what chapter are you on? I am struggling with the book too at the moment and we could have a two person study group?

Tayacan
Dec 8, 2012

Fucking nerd

Keetron posted:

Hey buddy, what chapter are you on? I am struggling with the book too at the moment and we could have a two person study group?

I only got to the upside-down drawings before getting distracted... I'm terrible like that :D

But the bits I did get through have been very useful, I seem to have made a bit of a leap since then.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Really loved this btw. It's soothing.

Keetron posted:

Someone in the Goon Mail exchange thread asked for Robocop so I was glad to have another subject. Also: how the hell do you mix a skin color?

You managed a perfectly fine skin colour! .. for the background. My mix was always some warm red, warm yellow and just the teeeniest tiniest bit of black watered down so it doesn't overpower everything, and then water down again until there's only a hint of colour left, apply one million layers. Depending on my mood, I might just go with the red and the black or the yellow and the black.
Heck. I actually drew so many undead and vampires even back in the day that half the time I was just watering down blue for the skin colour.
I also think this turned out great, I've always been a sucker for ink/watercolour combo but drat if the ink doesn't give a nice, defined structure while the watercolour provides an interesting and varying surface.

In other news, more chickam!

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

You managed a perfectly fine skin colour! .. for the background. My mix was always some warm red, warm yellow and just the teeeniest tiniest bit of black watered down so it doesn't overpower everything, and then water down again until there's only a hint of colour left, apply one million layers. Depending on my mood, I might just go with the red and the black or the yellow and the black.
Heck. I actually drew so many undead and vampires even back in the day that half the time I was just watering down blue for the skin colour.
I also think this turned out great, I've always been a sucker for ink/watercolour combo but drat if the ink doesn't give a nice, defined structure while the watercolour provides an interesting and varying surface.

In other news, more chickam!

Thanks for the tips, the background, as you can see, started left with a very watered down blue but I realised two strokes in that this was also the color of the suit so I took the color I mixed for the lips as I figured that would provide contrast and then just used that on the wet surface. So I was on the right track, just need to water it down a ton.

Could you post a watercolor vampire?

A long time ago I mentioned in this here forums that I bought a coloring book and pencils because I just wanted to color stuff in. Someone replied that I could also learn how to draw and color in my own creations. Seems it happened.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm trying to self-teach digital illustration and drew my cats, Kuze and Aika.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It's been a while, thread.

Getting used to digital.