Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah when I post this to my IRL friends hangouts what should I call you, "some rear end in a top hat"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

You're right, I really should watermark my stuff.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keetron posted:

I am game, just made a few postcards!

heavy liquid posted:

Sketch trade sounds fun!

Great! Let me know what you want me to draw and I'll give you a task in return.

Edit: drew some crap

I still have no drat idea how to get proper shading tones. I should get back to practising painting fundamentals...

Shinmera fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 22, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Evolved form.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

It me.

It was such a good idea to frame the pic like that, it adds to the sense of "falling off, life is a gently caress".

Argue posted:

Leyendecker studies

Hey I really loved these and I thought I'd try something similar. Not by looking at poo poo like an intelligent person, but by going "I really wanna do a giant head and some asymmetrical eyes"

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Ugh.

I spent ages trying to sketch out a scene for painting the other day but I just couldn't get it right and erased the whole thing. Got an itch to do some painting today but I'm stuck at work. Also my Daniel Smith paints haven't arrived from the UK yet. :saddowns:

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Had some time to doodle again. Experimenting with a brush pen I filled with rubbing alcohol and using it in various ways on the Copic alcohol-based inks.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Okay, cool! I'll say some kind of robot/android mechanical being. Doesn't have to be humanoid if you don't want, but definitely sentient (think GLaDOS from Portal).
Do we post our sketch trades here in the thread?

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 13:32 on May 23, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Couldn't do one of them without the other:

(process video)

I think that's enough portraits for me; I really need to practice drawing environments.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Shinmera posted:

Can you draw me your rendition of Grace Hopper?

heavy liquid posted:

I think so, maybe after it is received?
Can i request from you anything in traditional media?

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron posted:

I think so, maybe after it is received?
Can i request from you anything in traditional media?

Sure, traditional media is fine! Do we DM each other's addresses? Not sure how this works exactly

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Sure, traditional media is fine! Do we DM each other's addresses? Not sure how this works exactly

That should work, provided everyone has DM's.
If someone wants to sent me stuff but not has DM's, I will provide DM's for two people.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

heavy liquid posted:

Okay, cool! I'll say some kind of robot/android mechanical being. Doesn't have to be humanoid if you don't want, but definitely sentient (think GLaDOS from Portal).

Ooh, I think I'll have a fun time with this one.

Posting here is fine, I think. I initially intended for this to just be an online "ideas trade" kind of deal, but physical is OK too. Sometimes things take up to a month to arrive though, so I think posting it in here once it's done is still a good idea.

Keetron posted:

I'll try my best! I've never done caricature before, or tried to imitate real people, so this will be a challenge.

I hope to get to the sketches this weekend!

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Ooh, I think I'll have a fun time with this one.

Posting here is fine, I think. I initially intended for this to just be an online "ideas trade" kind of deal, but physical is OK too. Sometimes things take up to a month to arrive though, so I think posting it in here once it's done is still a good idea.

I'll try my best! I've never done caricature before, or tried to imitate real people, so this will be a challenge.

I hope to get to the sketches this weekend!

Yeah, I wasn't sure if it was physical or digital, but I'm good either way. I guess if the the artist wants to post their picture before they send it, that's cool. I'm going to wait and let the receiver post my sketches if they want to. This should be fun!

Any other ideas you or Keetron want to throw at me for your sketches?

digital penitence fucked around with this message at 02:58 on May 25, 2019

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Yep, here's my requests:

For Heavy Liquid: try drawing someone that would fit into the Blade Runner universe. Could be an original character too, just something that fits thematically.

For Keetron: I'd like to see you try your hands at drawing a sandy beach. Something that'll make you feel all warm inside just looking at it.

Tonight I drew some Hat in Time fan art. That game is superb, you should treat yourself and play it sometime!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry
Cyber. Punk.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Yep, here's my requests:

For Heavy Liquid: try drawing someone that would fit into the Blade Runner universe. Could be an original character too, just something that fits thematically.

Coooool, I already started working on it last night! I'm doing an original character for the BR universe, although it hasn't turned out like I expected. I'll see if I can save it. I'm going out of town today until Monday, so I'll try to finish it when I get back.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shinmera posted:

For Keetron: I'd like to see you try your hands at drawing a sandy beach. Something that'll make you feel all warm inside just looking at it.

Oh drat, that is a challenge! Thank you :-)

For now, I did some very basic mountain practice that taught me how to do smooth gradients using watercolor:

On the top left one I forgot to wet the paper before I began...

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

I love him.

I don't like drawing buildings or trees. But I want to improve at them. Why can't it just happen with no effort

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Those are some real nice graphical washes! A trick I was taught with texture is that you can blind-contour most things, just draw texture with only the barest of attention to where it's actually going on the surface - no-one's ever going to go 'that brick wasn't visible, it was two to the left!', and it really speeds up the process.

e: trees are assholes. Getting that 'you can kinda see through the leaves' right is a pig.

lofi fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 24, 2019

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
i dont know what you call this genre

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
seems pretty classic space painting to me

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Did some doodles based on some requests from friends.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Did another painting that I don't hate.

I will repost when I have access to a scanner.

bones 4 beginners
Jan 7, 2018

"...a masterpiece that no one can read too often, or admire too much."

lofi posted:

Those are some real nice graphical washes! A trick I was taught with texture is that you can blind-contour most things, just draw texture with only the barest of attention to where it's actually going on the surface - no-one's ever going to go 'that brick wasn't visible, it was two to the left!', and it really speeds up the process.

e: trees are assholes. Getting that 'you can kinda see through the leaves' right is a pig.

Thanks for the helpful advice! Drawing trees with markers and pens really makes me appreciate the textured brushes in digital art programs.

Some things I saw at the botanical gardens yesterday. There's a lot of plants with weird names out there.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Sharpest Crayon posted:

It me.

It was such a good idea to frame the pic like that, it adds to the sense of "falling off, life is a gently caress".

Thank you! that was mainly just trying to save time by not having to draw something they're leaning on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Hey guys. I just wanted to let everyone know that I created an visual arts version of the Thunderdome. Come on by if that sounds like something you'd be into.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

readingatwork posted:

Hey guys. I just wanted to let everyone know that I created an visual arts version of the Thunderdome. Come on by if that sounds like something you'd be into.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890426

Quote for visibility!

I got hold of a set of ecoline inks. They do bright well:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Any other ideas you or Keetron want to throw at me for your sketches?

Not really but I would like to know your desire (for me to draw).

Edit:
Wanted to share this with you but as you might have noticed I have been rather productive in the arts dept over the last few weeks (months?) and my son noticed as well. Today he was wondering what to do with his life now that his weekly screen allowance was burned on day 2, he asked if he could paint a bit. Remembering something from some video (if you want a kid to hate watercolors, give it a kids watercolor set and some printer paper) we taped a decent wc postcard to the workboard and I gave him to use my van Gogh travel set, a synthetic but decent brush and asked him what he wanted to draw. "The Woods!" so that is what you see.

The result:

I am going to teach him to use wet on wet next time, that is going to be amazing.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 26, 2019

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Keetron posted:

I am going to teach him to use wet on wet next time, that is going to be amazing.

Remember to cut paper sizes that you can conveniently get frames for, then you can hang his stuff up round the house and embaress him for years to come!

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
mermaid but sub but also squid???

(supcom2 kraken)

Squidtamer DA
Jun 3, 2007
Squirts ink when provoked
Felt like drawing myself some kind of skeleton cult. I'd like to think he's having a good time with it, but understands it's not everyone's thing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Working on that beach for Shimera and this is a study I been doing to see how the paints would react to each other. I think the actual one is looking even better. This is not it, this is only a tribute.

Basically: Schmincke Horadam paints + Arches cotton paper is like a slice of heaven.

digital penitence
Jan 3, 2008

Keetron posted:

Not really but I would like to know your desire (for me to draw).

Edit:
Wanted to share this with you but as you might have noticed I have been rather productive in the arts dept over the last few weeks (months?) and my son noticed as well. Today he was wondering what to do with his life now that his weekly screen allowance was burned on day 2, he asked if he could paint a bit. Remembering something from some video (if you want a kid to hate watercolors, give it a kids watercolor set and some printer paper) we taped a decent wc postcard to the workboard and I gave him to use my van Gogh travel set, a synthetic but decent brush and asked him what he wanted to draw. "The Woods!" so that is what you see.

The result:

Hey, very nice setup! It's nice seeing your son get into the act. As for what to draw, hmm... How about a Pokemon of your choice in watercolor?

Just a sketch for today, but I might go back and finish after I catch up. I think I'm two drawings behind.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Turns out I hate dwarves. But zombies are awesome.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Keetron posted:

Working on that beach for Shimera and this is a study I been doing to see how the paints would react to each other. I think the actual one is looking even better. This is not it, this is only a tribute.

Basically: Schmincke Horadam paints + Arches cotton paper is like a slice of heaven.

Oh my, very nice!

I'm falling behind myself, didn't get time to draw this weekend unfortunately. The good news is my university duties are pretty much over on Wednesday, so I should be free to get back to it then.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Trying to get back into drawing again after ages of being out of the game. God drat has my pen control gone to poo poo.

Also I swear to God I made this before I saw Superfly's thing (which is adorable).