Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

I'm judge for the Artdome this week but I wanted to do something for it as well. So I did up an one of the prompts and timelapsed the sculpting.

Did my best youtuber impression and its a little wonky but I've never done video content before.

https://youtu.be/vdkP9rM4olM

End result:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

These are both great but especially the Big Mood underneath. The first one reminds me of a tattoo for some reason.

Old rodent

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Sharpest Crayon posted:

These are both great but especially the Big Mood underneath. The first one reminds me of a tattoo for some reason.

thank you! the second one was painted from reference from a music video still but for whatever reason her pose completely changed as i drew/painted it. does anyone else have their figures kind of squirm under the pen like that?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been into doing pixel art stuff again.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
That cat is precious and the bird reminds me of Link's Awakening :)

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

head study

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Always with the wizard cats.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

i got a gift card to an art supply store for my birthday, so i bought a cheap watercolor starter set. i probably should have started by painting an apple but instead i dove right in and kind of learned as i went

i rate this not bad for a first effort, knowing that i'm going to need a ton of practice to feel remotely competent (also some of the markers i used to do the lineart turned out to not be as waterproof as i thought, oops). what i'm most pleased with is that i was able to retain my style and point of view when going from digital to real

anyone know the best way to flatten it back out??? i did a lot of layers just experimenting and i think it caused the paper to curl a bit on the ends

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

anyone know the best way to flatten it back out??? i did a lot of layers just experimenting and i think it caused the paper to curl a bit on the ends

You could try wetting it from the back, and then squishing it gently between books. To avoid this in the future, if you're doing heavy washes or using very thin paper, drown your paper first. Splash a ton of water on it with a brush or a sponge, both sides, and leave it on a flat board or something similar to settle for, like, 15 mins. Then you come back and press down on it and dry off the excess water with aforementioned sponge or a couple of paper towels. It should still be damp when you start painting. Option 2 is using painter's tape on all 4 sides and taping it to a board to keep it neat. The super fancy way is literally drowning your paper in water and letting it soak for 5 mins, then taping it on a board for overnight so when you come back, it's stretched tight and won't warp when you start wetting it. I could never be arsed with that one, I just do painter's tape.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

its pretty thick paper but i definitely used a lot of water because i made a lot of passes just trying different blending things and amounts of water so im sure it dried unevenly. thanks for the tips on how to prep it next time

edit: ill just say the fun part of this is running into new problems i'd never have with digital and figuring out or asking for help on how to solve them

another lesson i learned pretty fast is having to care about what direction im working in so i don't accidentally smear my lunar mount thru the paint

Al! fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 21, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

another lesson i learned pretty fast is having to care about what direction im working in so i don't accidentally smear my lunar mount thru the paint

Lol can't beat the feeling of doing a nice job inking something and then casually smearing it because apparently it was still a bit wet when you moved your hand there! Hoverhands ain't just for photos.

My sketchy for today:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Finished carving this thing and did tests, think I’m good to go. Made some design executive decisions mid-carve

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

here's a study for a watercolor but i liked the way it looked

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

dupersaurus posted:

Finished carving this thing and did tests, think I’m good to go. Made some design executive decisions mid-carve

Nice! Can I ask where you get your linoleum? I feel like there must be way cheaper options than what I'm seeing on Amazon and in hobby stores.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Flavius Aetass posted:

Nice! Can I ask where you get your linoleum? I feel like there must be way cheaper options than what I'm seeing on Amazon and in hobby stores.

If I'm planning ahead, I order from Blick. Otherwise I go down to the local Jerry's. If you need cheaper, go baltic birch plywood.

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dupersaurus posted:

Good decisions! Leaving out the Mucha-esque decorative balls somehow makes the piece "settle down" better. I also love the frilly lace, it's so pretty.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I drew a hamster cowboy

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Sharpest Crayon posted:

Good decisions! Leaving out the Mucha-esque decorative balls somehow makes the piece "settle down" better. I also love the frilly lace, it's so pretty.

Yeah I killed those off pretty quickly but I agonized about having something in the halo for contrast. But instead I cheated the circle and narrowed it on the shoulders, and I think that handled the concerns I was having.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Been very much enjoying pixel art again lately.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

The super fancy way is literally drowning your paper in water and letting it soak for 5 mins, then taping it on a board for overnight so when you come back, it's stretched tight and won't warp when you start wetting it. I could never be arsed with that one, I just do painter's tape.

Tape comes loose a lot of times, stapling works much better, plus you get to go nuts with the stapler. :)

Tonight's stream was the random prompt of 'starmap', so I did a map for the scifi rpg I'm playing atm. I'm really pleased with this for a 2h pic!

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

dog nougat posted:

I drew a hamster cowboy

While this still has the inherent "man that's wrong" quality of your pieces, I'm happy to see there's no dripping meat juices in it.

I don't know what the heck this is but I would end lives to save it.

lofi posted:

Tape comes loose a lot of times, stapling works much better, plus you get to go nuts with the stapler. :)

Just use either a really wide roll of painter's tape and tape way further than you think you need to, or use some of that gummy clothy tape, you absolute barbarian. Do you have any idea how many times I've squished the delicate meatweb between my thumb and index finger with staplers? Every single goddamn time I think something would be easier with a stapler, I'll first fail to get the staple to sink in, and when I get a proper grip so I can really press down, the stapler bites me. Plus then you got lil tiny holes in your nice flatboard. Cuuuurrrrse the staaaapleeeers.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Sharpest Crayon posted:

While this still has the inherent "man that's wrong" quality of your pieces, I'm happy to see there's no dripping meat juices in it.

I still figured out how to make it gross and weird.

Hamster Cowboy herds roaches. For milk.

Still really need to get around to painting this drat thing..

Also need to draw hamster cowboy milking said roaches.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

went and talked to my stepdad who is a real rear end painter, he suggested i go get a watercolor block but holy crap they're expensive

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Al! posted:

went and talked to my stepdad who is a real rear end painter, he suggested i go get a watercolor block but holy crap they're expensive

Outside of the PM I send you, I personally like loose leaf or one-sided glued blocks because I can easily take a sheet off and cut it up to be the size I want it to be.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Al! posted:

Define expensive.

I paid about $45 AUD for a block of 12in by 9in arches watercolour block with 20 sheets shipped from the UK. Just over $2 a page seemed reasonable to me, butt YMMV.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
You don’t need a block. Go on YouTube and watch all of Russell Black’s videos, he’s a really really good painter and he explains a ton of technical stuff including how not to stretch paper.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Neon Noodle posted:

You don’t need a block. Go on YouTube and watch all of Russell Black’s videos, he’s a really really good painter and he explains a ton of technical stuff including how not to stretch paper.

Do you have any idea how much of my time you just now wasted? Another channel of painting I need to follow. All while knitting or doing some cross stitching instead of actual painting!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=channel?UCRRshfNrs1fkFlovryENAAQ?videos

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

looks like someone just watched Queen of the Damned

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

When I draw hands they look like meat-mittens, this will not stand.

I'm really pleased with the last pair - I'm trying to work on contrasting straight/fluid lines, and I think it worked well there.

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 24, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry

Al! posted:

looks like someone just watched Queen of the Damned

Lol, just lol if you don't EVERY MORNING WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS QUEEN OF THE DAMNED AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, LESTAT.

Don't tell anyone I had to google which character was the main one. I'm almost certain there was no vampire-karaoke in it, though I honestly remember gently caress-all about it despite probably seeing it twice or thrice? OH NO maybe it's inserted itself into my subconscious :ohdear:

lofi posted:

I'm really pleased with the last pair - I'm trying to work on contrasting straight/fluid lines, and I think it worked well there.

You're right, last pair defo the best, especially the left hand is sweet af. I always love seeing the sort of .. spidery bouncewave fingersections. I gotta ask though, the square thumbends - where did you pick that up? Because I've seen people do it to all fingers but especially thumbs and I've tried it and thought it was good for manhands but it still feels a bit off when I do it. Used to looking at my own hands and I guess my thumbs are abnormally round.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

buddy, that movie starts with vampire karaoke

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

which is basically how far i was able to make it into it

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Sharpest Crayon posted:

the square thumbends - where did you pick that up? Because I've seen people do it to all fingers but especially thumbs and I've tried it and thought it was good for manhands but it still feels a bit off when I do it. Used to looking at my own hands and I guess my thumbs are abnormally round.

Everything is a cube if you abstract it enough. I constructed the hands from cubes, guess I didn't un-cube enough :P

Also Queen of the Damned is great if you need a 200x time capsule.

e:

Hands for the hand god!

lofi fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Jul 24, 2019

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Clapping Larry
It's weird, some movies just leave no impression in your brain no matter how many times you watch them. Literally the only things I remember of the film is that there were funky walls at some point and then a vampire skeleton gave someone the finger, which was freaking excellent. Must've been incredibly mediocre, I'd have memories if it was actively terrible. Mind you, my definition of terrible might be a tad misguided, since me and a friend used to have lovely vampire movie nights where we'd go to the local video rental and we didn't even touch stuff that looked like it had a budget above "we filmed in mah mam's house". Rule was we were NOT allowed to fast forward, only allowed to drink more when it was too unbearable.

I gotta tell ya, all that experience still did not make Twilight a watchable movie.

Surprise, vampire:

Macksy
Oct 20, 2008
i think that amount of twist in the torso is a tad unrealistic I fixed it for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Went to a local art club today! It was fun, the only person I knew was the model. It was less weird than I expected drawing her naked - people aren't people when you're drawing them, just a collection of angles and stories.

Another sacrifice to the foreshortening gods. Shoulda used a desk easel. It's a shame, the pic looks really good if you look at the sketchbook at the angle I drew from.