Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Pikachu hasn't been feeling very well lately. Also on the road at the moment and only brought w1, w3, w5 & w7 so let's see how far we can stretch that.

Another one before work:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jan 8, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Witches are cool and their designs are fun. Draw a witch today!
Will do, but maybe tomorrow, ok?

For now one of the final pikachu's, there must be other pokemon.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

TwoogBuk LLC posted:

"still learning" uh-huh .... I think it's drat good, and thanks for the tips. I'll have to get me some of these magical markers.

Alcohol based markers are really amazing, I use copics myself because the brush tip is unrivalled but there are a few other brands that come very close for a fraction of the price.
Here are two alternatives to copics compared by Jazza who is a bit weird but good:
Comparing to Spectrum Noir: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU143oqVqHA
Comparing to super cheap alcohol based based: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXhQY1nrxoM

The gold standard are of course the copics, but check this out: https://www.amazon.com/Copic-Marker-SB12-12-Piece-Sketch/dp/B000MRR3GU
A set of 12 will set you back $60. Let that sink in. You could go for the budget option, copic Ciao which are about 2/3rd of the price or browse a bit on amazon and get one of the off-brand sets. Also remember you can refill the copic markers and some colors will go faster than others.

Most importantly, keep in mind that buying art supplies and using art supplies are two very different hobbies.

Edit: there are so many youtube tutorials on how to use them, watching that is almost like using them and much cheaper! Under no circumstances be like me. I bought a ton off the local craigslist, sold them all and two years later, when I had a huge influx of money, bought this: https://www.copic-shop.co.uk/copic-sketch-suitcase-with-358-colours-rrp-3087-50-last-one/ which I am planning to take to my grave.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jan 12, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

a hole-y ghost posted:

And as far as buying markers, pencils, paints, etc, I'd say it's a good idea to shy away from sets. Even if it costs, say, 30% less per piece, you'll probably only use a third of them. Get a few basics (monochrome shades, maybe a few useful colors like dark red, orange, yellow, up to you) and then buy-as-you-need, getting multiples of what you use more and colors that you notice you really need.

This is very good advice and I agree with it. Currently on the road for two weeks and I brought 4 markers, W1, W3, W5 and W7 (W=Warm Grey) and this allows me to do the most things I want. (of course, a mechanical pencil, an eraser, a fineliner and a small brush pen are in my bag too). Finally: the materials do not keep me from sucking, that is what practise is for but yeah, that is hard.

Like drawing witches!
Before coloring:

After coloring:

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

with a witch comes a cat.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

in a few days I will be home and have access to all colors again.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 17, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Is this for sale? My daughter expressed a desire to decorate her room and this is amazing.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Oh wow, this is really out there.
Still looking to pay money for artwork for my daughters room...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not sure where else to ask, but is there like a website that gives a daily or weekly prompt and a list of submissions to that prompt, (maybe allowing upvoting by those who submitted) or something similar?
Or should it be made?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

heavy liquid posted:

Something like Sketch Daily on Reddit?

https://www.reddit.com/r/SketchDaily

You know, that looks like it would work, thanks!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

One of these days someone is gonna look at all this and purposefully make a pic with added scanner darkening and paper grain and finely crafted smudges and be smug af.
I just think it is super impressive from a hardware/software perspective how good digital art is nowadays. On the other hand, digital is allowed to have it's own style and feel, no reason to replicate traditional media. But yeah, what do I know.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Not all that visible but the top one is postcard sized, the bottom one playing card.

The bottom one was made for a goon and of course my wife loved it and I will have to make a new one.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

There, another monster. This one I will send.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Hella cheaper than copics, though. Don't do color often, but might look into getting some. How are the metallics?

I think that's why you're supposed to use markers on thin paper. Bristol is just too drat thirsty.

You can use marker paper, which is thin with one side plastifisomethinged to prevent bleeding for optimal marker usage.
However I rather use bristol board 250~300gr as it is so much sturdier for doing whatever you want with it. For the markers I will buy refills and just deal with it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I really like this one.

lofi posted:

Textures are life.
This one is amazing too

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I started with Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and the plan is to bore you all to death with my lovely stuff. My goal is to be able to do landscapes in this style.

Truth be told: I am off from work, a mental health week, and it took me 4 days of circling the book to start. I knitted a scarf simply because I was scared to start. Life is weird.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

IronSaber posted:

You're on the right track; drawing from life is a great way to build skill.
The drawing from memory, which is exercise #2, is left out because it was so so bad.

lofi posted:

:blush: Thankyou, that's a hell of a compliment. Drawing on the Right Side is a great book, it's very much the approach I take. Practice is the #1 thing to get better at art, but good instruction on how to practice is a huge shortcut.
You deserved it, I love those landscapes.
I hope the book will give me ways to do deliberate practise, something that is trumped to be the biggest thing to improve fast.

I greatly admire your tenacity (as well as your skill).

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

next exercise, upside down reproduction.

Click here for the same but rotated.

Fun fact: I had to go for lunch halfway the drawing and I can really see where I started again and how the lines got better after getting back in it.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Sharpest Crayon posted:

First run of badge designs.

I'll be kicking out a lot of them for reasons that should be very obvious when you look at them, inking and roughcolouring the rest, then cut it down to five designs out of the ones I liked and finishing them. Hopefully.

Dragon Fucker? Is this some sort of Skyrim mod?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Another exercise, it felt redundant as the book kept rambling about the awesome click you would make but I think I have been drawing to long to be a full newbie. However, I am following the book as to have pointers what to draw and so here I go. The grey tones are part of the exercise.
Disclosure: not posting everything, some things are worse than this.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

some negative space exercise, this was harder than expected.

Now with more contrast!

Meh, the wonky perspective doesn't get better. Moving on to chapter 8!

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yay, I brought my sketchbook when taking the boys to swimming class.

The perspective is completely screwed but still it makes me happy.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Shinmera posted:

Streaming some art tonight. Will replace this post with the results once I'm done.

Would be happy to have some people in chat! https://stream.shinmera.com/

I am there but chat is being stupid for me.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

I want to develop the fundamentals of making visual art, so I've started reading "Drawing with the right side of the brain" and for a week now I've been spending at least 20 minutes a day doing still lifes.

Whats up DOTRSOT buddy! :highfive:

Did this at the pool today after reading chapter 8:

Ran out of time, the kids class was over and I completed the inking at home.

forum tip: use timg instead of img to make it thumbed.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

doodling while watching TV

It looks better in my sketchbook...

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Post your doodles, they said, post them daily.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Snooty Elves is kind of a pleonasm. I love it.

Here is my daily, I have something else done too but no picture.

All the really doodly stuff is more to get into the daily habit of drawing, I will worry about technique and whatnot later.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Something I did last night, this table will pass a few more times before I get it right.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Doodling when watching TV.

And then my son drew a minecraft house...

So I did a creeper with my freshly acquired watercolors

edit:
Just now when watching tv did something that started out as circles and ended as something I remember from biology, close to 20 years ago. My reasoning behind the shapes and so on is just to get my hand used to longer periods of drawing without aching after 10 minutes, not to create anything remotely aesthetically pleasing.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Apr 6, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Yeah, there is more to it than just lines on paper. By actually using all those supplies I bought, I am trying to get over myself to create something I think is nice but instead actually [i]drawing[/] and screw the result and my perception of it. Over the years I have been trying to get good at drawing and look at a lot I made either to critical or not critical at all. A weird duality in performance anxiety and pretentiousness. The current approach is just to get the lines on the paper to get some motor skills and simply learn to enjoy the process, screw it all. Now we get to the final reason to post all doodles that I am think are no good at all which is to a) teach myself not all drawings are created equal but it is the journey that counts and b) maybe help others with the same perception that often lines are just lines.

I get the impression that most of the people posting in this thread are either not posting their doodles out of fear or only posting the best and/or hating the rest they make (looking at you shinmera). It is a bane of social media that we are looking at other people's highlight reels all the time and to be honest, I don't care for those. The reason I keep returning to SA is that this seems a place where we are allowed to show everything and while you might be told it is poo poo, the honesty of the nakedness is appreciated. Personally I care way more about the process showing those, like me, that are low-skilled at something that nothing comes free and nobody was born with the skill to create those masterpieces that sometimes pass here. Show us the long journey to creation by showing all that in between.

So to quote `The New Colossus`:

Emma Lazarus posted:

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Keetron fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Apr 7, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Today on Keetron Proves His Point:

I was too lazy to get up and get a sharpener when I started shading. That will not happen again, the shading like this I mean. Next time I want to do something with actual shadows, should be fun.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Chaosfeather posted:

I hear ya. I've always loved fantasy and sci-fi stuff, dragons included. If I let furries ruin dragons for me as a whole that's on me more than anything else.

You familiar with LethalChris? He draws tons of dragons, it is pretty soothing to watch.
As I understand it is that every artist who publicly draws anthropomorphic characters will sooner or later get a request for a baby lion in a diaper who pissed himself and the money offered is so good and from then on you are known as the piss baby artist but at least you paid the rent for two months.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

watercolors are fun.

but wait, there is more.

This is the most fun I had with drawing in years.

Keetron fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Apr 9, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

dupersaurus posted:

Some actual daily art! I have a bunch of scrap paper and some scrap wood, so decided to do some mini-prints over a few hours

I really like your prints, not only these but all the other ones you posted. It has to do with the artisan work that goes into making the block and then doing the print. Do you sell them somewhere?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

How do you guys color in the evening, do you have special light setups to keep an eye on your colors, do you use very white leds or do you just make do and see in the morning how things turned out?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Thank you for the light responses, it seems I am overthinking things. I will mount a shelf on the wall above my screens and put a clamp on desk light there with white leds.

edit:
Shelves mounted, that was a very good idea.
I have been drawing but mostly color testing copics for the card exchange and some watercolor practice of filling with even washes, nothing I can show here.

Wait, I can show this:

Keetron fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Apr 14, 2019

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

I think a twitch channel of 5 people playing dnd is the nerdiest thing I have seen this week.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Last week it was me and my wife arguing about putting java method calls in your constructor, so yeah, week.

Not drawing much this week, said wife is at a conference all week and I am fulltime working single dad of four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Some watercolor exercises I did with how materials respond to each other.