Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Doing a doodle a day so here's 1st-4th featuring my getting home at 10pm panda eye self-portrait and an adorable child on the subway in a dinosaur jacket. I want that jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I'm using the free sketchbook app on my ipad to draw while I'm out and about. There's some things I really wished it had (like clip layers and cropping..) but it's handy and free and feels comfortable for doodling. I really want to upgrade to procreate but I'm only going to do so after 100 drawings to prove it's financially worthwhile.

Also... backgrounds. who needs 'em?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Messing around with the adobe sketchbook app on ipad and it's a bit hard to use because it's too realistic, which is odd, but I'm too used to static digital tools and not faux-realistic watercolours that expand and drip, and whatnot.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
What programs do you guys use for digital art on your tablets (preferably ipad-friendly)? I've been using autodesk sketchbook but while I like the pens, I hate the lack of clipping masks, editing and layer options.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
01/4

Digital crayon doodle. AKA I have no idea what I'm doing but gently caress it, let's try to draw once a day.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Spending a few hours hanging out for an event every Tuesday... so I've been trying to sneakily doodle people and surroundings. I'm no good at this stuff because everyone keeps moving god drat it, but at least I'm getting practise.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Gonna try and doodle a day for May, because why not.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
May 2nd: realised that parking myself in front of a tourist attraction meant I could do life studies of people holding the same position for their selfies.

May 3rd: work hard. art level effort: 0.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Live study stick figures from the lakeside the past week. I think I'm already seeing some improvements in terms of capturing motion and stuff when you compare the first picture (4th of May) to the second (12th of May)?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I don't have proper inking supplies, but I do have... brightly colored gel pens and a very cheap sketchbook. We make do!

why have i expressed mindless with a t-rex skeleton talking selfies? idk either really.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I turned 30, and I have decided for my 30th that instead of thinking about wanting to be a good artist one day, I'm going to work more actively at it.

Doodling headshots of the people sitting in the row ahead when bored in a lecture hall is surprisingly fun.

But I've found that I can't conceptualise the skull shape or a perfect circle, I always end up with an oval. I can only draw heads if I start with a box?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

dupersaurus posted:

Heads aren't circles or boxes anyway, so problem solved!

The profile shot on the bottom left illustrates the problem with the approach. The ears are about where the back of the head ends, where the back of the neck starts, and where the jaw meets the cranium; the front of the head is on the order of twice as tall as the back of the head.

Now you point it out, I can see what you mean... And yet trying to address it is 12055% hell.

Trying to follow the loomis method and... I am bad at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
A lot of artists on twitter are doing start of the decade/end of the decade stuff, where they redraw art from 2009, but my earliest art I can find is... 2011. But I did it anyway because it's fun.

You guys should do it too even if you don't have anything from 2009 (if you want), it's fun to see even tiny progress.