Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I'll try to do more complete works this year instead of pages upon pages of incomplete doodles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

ThePlague-Daemon posted:

Love this too. Is that stripe effect like a hue/brightness jitter on the brush? It looks really cool

That's exactly what it is! The whole underpainting was with a jittered brush, in pencil mode (for the hard edged pixelly effect). I didn't actually intend to keep the effect all the way to the end but then I realized it actually lent some personality to subjects that are related to tech.

Edit: today's work

https://twitter.com/cmarguel/status/1081919584523841537

Argue fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jan 6, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'll probably go back and repair the background once I've gotten more practice with drawing cities. A... lot more practice.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I've never made a real art with Procreate before let alone ~dark arts~; am I too late to the witch party

(time lapse here)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Hrm, images don't look the same on Chrome as they do on my iPad, or even just the default Windows image viewer. The colors are showing up kind of off from what I was seeing on Procreate and it's glaring in some areas. Do you guys postprocess iPad drawings in PS or something?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

It's specifically Chrome though. Even other image viewers on the same desktop/monitor display the image right. Which I just realized means postprocessing in PS wouldn't actually do anything.

Edit: The solution was to force color profiles in chrome://flags, although now I have to wonder if I should account for Chrome's default color profile when uploading art.

Argue fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 15, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

What are the ethics of publishing a portrait you did of a stranger whose selfie just showed up on your Twitter timeline

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Photoshop: I'm trying to save multiple versions of my brushes so that I'll be spending less time tweaking the settings every few minutes, but when I save the brush as a TPL, then switching to it also includes the color that the brush had when I saved it, which I don't want. On the other hand, if I save it as an ABR, it doesn't save the opacity and flow options, instead just carrying those over from the previous brush. How do I save a brush as a TPL and not preserve the color? I know this should be possible because I have brushes saved as .tpl which don't overwrite my current color.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Happy Valentines' Day from Saitō Musashibō Benkei, who died in a standing position against a hailstorm of arrows

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Man the release of Kingdom Hearts 3 was not good for my daily drawing habit but hopefully I'm back now. Did a quick one after seeing Captain Marvel and my friend said "Into the Danverse".

(not pictured: the guy told her to smile 5 seconds ago)

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Another Carol but I gave this one the time it deserves

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

gmc9987 posted:

If you're using Photoshop you can make a solid black layer at the top of your stack and set the blending mode to "color" to see what the image looks like in black and white without having to convert the image to grayscale and then back again, I do this to help make sure I'm picking colors that are actually lighter and darker than each other rather than ones that just appear to be.

Side note: there are a number of methods of turning an image into black and white in Photoshop, some of which are better at translating color values into shades of gray than others. I find that a Color layer/0 Saturation layer doesn't translate the values as well as I'd like. For me, the best way is to go to View -> Proof Setup -> Custom... then pick Gray Gamma 1.8/Perceptual, which yields a result much closer to what I get by squinting my eyes. I don't recall if this is a shortcut I set up myself, but I have it bound to Ctrl-Y now, which additionally is a lot easier than creating a new layer and then scrolling to it every time I want to toggle it.

Argue fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 26, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Participated in the #SigawDarna hashtag on Filipino Twitter to redesign classic Filipino comic book character Darna, whose original design was literally just a helmet and bikini. Also ended up following a bunch of cool Filipino artists from browsing it.

Next time I'll just try going for a clean cel shaded and inked look; I was waffling between comic book style and making it look more painterly and ended up just slapping a halftone filter as a homage to her comics roots but also to disguise my indecisiveness.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Leyendecker studies

Process video here; I'm trying to learn more about Leyendecker's shape design and I'm hoping the video will expose any problems I have with how I study that aspect of his work.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I'm on a roll today (not a study)

Tomorrow I'll do some more studies, probably just in pencil this time, then try doing an original while emulating Leyendecker's style, to test myself against what I learned.

edit: ugh that looks so much better when it's just the thumbnail

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:40 on May 22, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Couldn't do one of them without the other:

(process video)

I think that's enough portraits for me; I really need to practice drawing environments.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Practice is very important and all but you should absolutely seek out critiques from people who know what they're doing as regularly as you can possibly can, or you will carry over terrible habits into your art maturity that will take you forever and a day to shake off.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Is Corel Painter any good these days? I used it a lot back when it was still Metacreations Painter 5.5, but then after 6 they removed the watercolor brush I loved. Anyway, Corel Painter 2019 is on Humble Bundle for 3 more days for $25 so I was wondering if it was worth that much, or if its functionality has been entirely subsumed by CSP/Procreate/PS.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I haven't finished a portrait in a long while. Referenced from some Swedish actress

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

IT'S SPOOKTOBER

I had the most annoying time finishing this up when I realized that the ghost rendered differently on my regular monitor than on my cintiq and I have no clue which one is closer to what everyone else will see, so I had to settle for a weird compromise that doesn't look quite like I want it to on either monitor, but doesn't look awful on either monitor either.

Edit: goddammit I can't even see it on my phone!

Edit 2: I just looked at it on my laptop and I can only barely see it there too... I guess I need to see if I can fix this when I get back to my PC next week.

Argue fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 17, 2019

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

All these years drawing and I never really tried inventing backgrounds from imagination... Well, backgrounds that consisted of more than "clouds and squares that vaguely look like buildings". I have a lot of catching up to do.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Travel sketches from my vacation in London/Edinburgh. Turns out, it's a bad idea for someone from a tropical climate to remove their gloves to draw in most places in the UK!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

These rule. I also took a trip to Edinburgh this year, and it's, like, a painter's dream. So many amazing things to sketch and paint.

Great work.

Thanks! Incidentally, if I'd known about the V&A Museum in London sooner, I'd have scheduled a whole day just to stay there sketching. Instead, we only decided to go there on our last day in the country, 1.5 hours before the museum's closing time. Entering the sculpture areas filled me with soooo much regret.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

My fifth oil painting ever, a study of Peter Paul Rubens' Clara Serena. I like how beautifully oil handles but it's a stinky, messy, process, and awful to maintain, so I don't think I'll ever be doing more than one a year; more likely, I'll be doing fewer than that. Much prefer digital/water based.

Dawnfire posted:

Hi there, I've only been drawing for about 4 years but this seems like a real chill place to share and talk about art? So I'll just share these two things real quickly, and hope you all like it.

This one's a finished piece from less than a month ago:

And a fanart I'm working on of Lio Fotia from Promare. He will get clothes later! At least pants, anyway. (I typically draw girls more than guys, so I'm using this one to practice male musculature and form.)

That's great, I took embarrassingly longer than 4 years to understand that perspective was crucial even when only drawing characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I get the impression that you've found good instructional material already, so maybe you're already doing this, but if you aren't already doing so I recommend checking out Proko's figure drawing class, then his anatomy class, on YouTube. All of the most important material is free and his channel is a wealth of information. He covers everything from broad gesture to specific muscles in easily digestible ~10 minute videos.