Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

King of Trios 2019 Results:

- The Crucible (Pros) defeat the VeloCities. Probably the most obvious win of the tournament, considering it's the main heel team vs. the guys who merely exist for Rey de Voladores. Lance Steel won via Boston Crab.

- The Nations defeated Karate Kat Xtreme. One of the highlights was Mick Moretti rubbing Stray Kat's belly with his foot while he was doing a handstand.

- The Carnies defeated the Legion of Rot. Tripp Cassidy caught Hallowicked with kind of a sloppy Codebreaker-type move while pulling him off the top rope. Commentary brought up how Tripp tends to have Hallowicked's number.

- The Hatfields and McCoy defeated the Creatures of the Deep. Cajun Crawdad had to replace Hermit Crab due to injury. The dynamic of the Hatfields team was that Boomer and Molly made for a great tag team, but Dasher kept causing issues with Boomer and routinely insisted on getting the spotlight. Boomer got the win and Oceanea berated her henchmen. Finally, Merlok shoved her down and stormed off. Crawdad and Hermit Crab tried to make good, but Oceanea continued to yell at them, so they left her too.

- The Colony defeated Quack Attack. For about half the match, it was Quack vs. Fire and both refused to tag out. Thief Ant finally blind-tagged Fire, causing brief animosity, but the match finally moved forward. One of the better matches of the weekend.

- The Crucible (Rookies) defeated the Queens. I don't really remember much about this one other than how fun Freddie Mercurio's gimmick is.

- FIST defeated the Embassy. It started heel vs. heel, but the Embassy eventually got the crowd behind them, including the unexpected image of Prince Nana cleaning house with a hot tag.

- Team Pump defeated NDK. Fun match that made up for Steiner being barely mobile. Crowd was NOT happy with NDK losing.

NIGHT 2

- RDV 4-Way: The Whisper defeated Danjerhawk, Jude London, and Mat Diamond. Once Danjerhawk was out, the two VeloCities guys worked together until London eliminated Diamond. Whisper was able to take advantage of that and win soon after.

- KOT Quarterfinals: FIST defeated the Carnies.

- Blank defeated Still Life with Apricots and Pears. Blank tore up Still Life's mask during the match, albeit not enough to cause DQ.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Nations defeated Team Pump. Team Pump, as shown, had a swear jar for Steiner. After the match, Petey gave the jar to Moretti, whose partners prevented him from swearing on the spot.

- RDV 4-Way: Alex Zayne defeated Cajun Crawdad, Freddie Mercurio, and Paris De Silva. All the eliminations happened in a cluster as Crawdad and Mercurio got pinned at the same time, then Zayne took out Silva.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Crucible (Pros) defeated the Crucible (Rookies) via Fingerpoke of Doom.

- John Francis of Coronado defeated Thomas Santell. Incredibly solid match. John Francis kept wearing him down, trying for the ankle lock and won when he finally got it locked on with a grapevine.

- KOT Quarterfinals: The Colony defeated the Hatfields and McCoy. Boomer was doing great, but Fire took him out with a flash pin. Afterwards, Molly and Dasher loudly berated Boomer for being worthless, which is when the feed died.

NIGHT 3

- Throughout the first half of the show, we'd see backstage segments of Lady Frost trying to find a tag partner for the gauntlet match to no avail. Her attempts were Jakob Hammermeier (had a partner), Oleg the Usurper (had a match), and Hermit Crab (had an injury).

- KOT Semifinals: The Nations defeated FIST. This made the Nations into full-on faces for the rest of the show.

- KOT Semifinals: The Crucible (Pros) defeated the Colony. Ophidian messed up Thief and Green pretty badly, leaving Fire to take on the Crucible himself. Taking out Ophidian seemed to make Fire break down a bit rather than go for the pin. Kimber Lee then fought him and won via Alligator Clutch. Afterwards, Fire got a huge ovation while he and the other ants hugged it out. Fire held their hands up before they left to the back.

- Oleg defeated Mat Diamond. Dasher was on commentary, putting over the idea that he was going to have to defend against Oleg soon.

- Tag Team Gauntlet Match: The Bird and the Bee (Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale) won after defeating the Proteus Wheel. The team order was VeloCities, Crummels/Defarge, Jakob/Wildebeest, Closers, Crucible (Frey Nassar and Tunko Amir), Jawbreaker Josue/Joshua Wells, Proteus Wheel, Creatures of the Deep, and Bird and the Bee. The Creatures vs. Proteus Wheel section was the best part of it, including Crawdad and Merlok wrestling as faces. Solo and Willow now have three points.

- Jordynne Grace defeated Lady Frost.

- RDV Finals: Whisper defeated Alex Zayne. The two did the Spider-Man point early on. Fantastic match with the crowd really getting behind Whisper. Afterwards, he showed respect to Zayne and cut a promo about how he was the first ever two-time RDV winner and his next target is Dasher Hatfield and the Grand Championship.

- KOT Finals: The Crucible defeated the Nations. The Nations were going for their triple powerbomb on Lance Steel, but his teammates saved him. He reversed it into a Boston Crab on Mick Moretti and made him tap out. Afterwards, Ophidian had the entire Crucible come out as he celebrated. Whisper looked annoyed during this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
So, it seems like there was no big comedy match this year?

Also, I wonder what the attendance was since the Reading venue is so small compared to the Funplex in Easton.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

What did Steiner say Night 1?

J-Ro
Jul 26, 2005

Child Of The Revolution

Sub Rosa posted:

What did Steiner say Night 1?

The usual "get up, bitch" (NOT towards Kris). The running joke on commentary during their Night 2 match was Team PUMP's quick tags so Scott wouldn't have enough time to swear.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
He dropped a “motherfucker” on Bryce which got him a mountain of boos and shouting from the crowd.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I mentioned this in the MOTYC thread, but the thing this year's King of Trios did best was propel Whisper into potentially being the company's top face.

Ever since Touchdown lost the title and got written out of Chikara, the promotion has been really aimless due to being awful with major faces. FIST has the tag titles, but nobody is really groomed to take it from them. Dasher is a great heel champ, but the only major feud he's had is with his son, who still loses a bunch despite getting one over on his dad. The Crucible has a lot going for it, but opposition isn't part of it. Their biggest enemies are Quack (who should have limited spotlight) and a few rookies.

Whisper has been built up as a mainstay in the past few years and is over without having been a main eventer. Now they've put him in a position where he has issues with the Crucible without having gone full face, but his role in Rey de Voladores has gotten the crowd behind him as a spirited and honorable face who wants to dethrone Dasher. That in itself puts him at odds with the Crucible down the line since both he and Ophidian have three points.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
Whisper has definitely done well to avail himself as the short-term babyface. In terms of white meat babyfaces, I think Green Ant and Boomer are ready to increase their workload.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

So right now Chikara's hyping up November 9's show "Tug of War" as being the finale. It has Dasher defending the title against Whisper and FIST defending against Bird and Bee, but otherwise doesn't have much going on.

The real question mark (literally, since it's listed as "?") is November 23. Something is supposed to be going down at the Wrestle Factory, presumably as some kind of climax to the Crucible storyline. The only thing we know is an image of a gold and black cube covered with question marks and the Chikara logo. This has led to MANY Hellraiser references from fans. Just recently, Thief Ant posted an image of a tiny version of that box and asked Boomer what he's supposed to do with it.

Also, Jeremy Leary and Blanche Babish are now listed on the alumni section. Lady Frost too, but I don't recall her ever being on the main roster page.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The season finale was a pretty average Chikara show. Other than the main event angle, the only important thing in there was Bird and Bee winning the tag titles.

Dasher vs. Whisper was supposed to happen halfway into the show. Ophidian (with his Golden Opportunity) came out and wanted Whisper to stand down. Then it seemed like they were going to do a triple threat, but Ophidian instead jumped Whisper from behind and brutalized him, including whipping him with a belt for a while. The match was called off. Backstage, Whisper was told that due to Bakabella's strict rules, if he didn't wrestle Dasher tonight, he'd lose his opportunity. He insisted on facing Dasher despite being hurt.

The match itself was completely one-sided and was mainly about Whisper constantly kicking out of Dasher's pin attempts. Finally, he lost via count-out when crashing to the floor and being too physically spent. Afterwards, Ophidian appeared and hit Whisper with an Egyptian Destroyer on the concrete. He then entered the ring and demanded Quack appear and step down as head trainer. Quack instead appeared with the three Crucible washouts as well as Mr. Zero, Jigsaw and another masked guy. The show ended with a big faction brawl.

After the credits, Bakabella told the other commentator that being Director of Fun is boring. He announces that all title points and Golden Opportunities are wiped clean and he quits.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Mr.Zero was a fun gimmick (lucha businessman), but I certainly never expected him to return

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
The other masked guy is Blaxstrom

https://twitter.com/Blaxstrom1/status/1193363679137415168?s=19

Also, Wrestling is FUN! is coming back in December.

https://twitter.com/wrestling_isfun/status/1192640535648964609?s=19

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Missile Assault Man announced on Twitter that he was done with Chikara.

Man, that Proteus Wheel storyline sure was fun. Then a year later, everyone involved is either gone from the company or might as well be due to how much they fell into obscurity.

Edit: John Francis of Coronado is also done with the company.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 11, 2019

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Gavok posted:

Missile Assault Man announced on Twitter that he was done with Chikara.

Man, that Proteus Wheel storyline sure was fun. Then a year later, everyone involved is either gone from the company or might as well be due to how much they fell into obscurity.

Edit: John Francis of Coronado is also done with the company.

I wonder what Juan means by higher calling? Did he get signed somewhere?

https://twitter.com/JuanFDCoronado/status/1193714466061529088?s=19

Also, Stray Kat is also in the alumni section now. That bums me out tremendously.

DM Punk fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Nov 11, 2019

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

DM Punk posted:

Also, Stray Kat is also in the alumni section now. That bums me out tremendously.

Wasn't she only there for like three months?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Draxion posted:

Wasn't she only there for like three months?

Pretty much. She moved to Long Island and started getting the CHIKARA bookings, then when she broke up with MJF and ended up moving to Ohio, it seemed that kinda was a deal breaker. She went from winning a bunch of tag matches to losing the CdP match in 2 straight falls and being eliminated in round 1 of KOT. It's a shame, her gimmick really fit in with CHIKARA. She told me how CHIKARA was one of her biggest goals to be apart of.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Mr.Zero was a fun gimmick (lucha businessman), but I certainly never expected him to return

Wasn't Mr Zero in the band Pissed Jeans, and also played on Ultramantis Black's really good powerviolence album?

Diar
Dec 22, 2003

Why would I have a problem with it? John Redcorn is gay, and I've been friends with him for twenty years.

forkboy84 posted:

Wasn't Mr Zero in the band Pissed Jeans, and also played on Ultramantis Black's really good powerviolence album?

I really hope that's true I used to listen to pissed jeans all the time and Mr Zero always gives me a smile. What's the name of Ultramantis' album I would love to check that out too

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Diar posted:

I really hope that's true I used to listen to pissed jeans all the time and Mr Zero always gives me a smile. What's the name of Ultramantis' album I would love to check that out too

Its self titled. Pretty good album.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Diar posted:

I checked, and I did remember it right. And yeah, UMB's album is just self-titled, Relapse Records put it out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The big mystery show is this Saturday and there's still no word on what it's supposed to be. Just that it's neither part of Season 20 or Season 21.

Also, it seems like Lucas Calhoun is probably done with the company. He tweeted something about how he was going to have a lot more open weekends next year and when Jeremy Leary asked if he was joining the Past Stars Brotherhood, to which he just said, "Welllllllll"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The big mystery show wasn't streamed at all. Friend of mine went to it and seems to think that it's some kind of pilot and maybe a test run for other Chikara guys to step up in production. It was mostly squash matches with a couple competitive matches thrown in there. There was a sense of audience control in there, like asking fans not to yell "ONE FALL!" Or when a kid was interviewed and said that he was there to see Ophidian, they did another take and had him say he wanted to see Xyberhawx.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Gavok posted:

The big mystery show wasn't streamed at all. Friend of mine went to it and seems to think that it's some kind of pilot and maybe a test run for other Chikara guys to step up in production. It was mostly squash matches with a couple competitive matches thrown in there. There was a sense of audience control in there, like asking fans not to yell "ONE FALL!" Or when a kid was interviewed and said that he was there to see Ophidian, they did another take and had him say he wanted to see Xyberhawx.

Between the mass departures and the return of Wrestling is Fun, do you think this is going to be another “hiatus” of sorts?

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I was at the show. They kept teasing that the show was an experiment with a BIG partner. To me, it feels like this was something for WWE. Maybe to see if its something they'd want on the Network or not. Quack wrestled Sonny Defarge in the main event. The only other worth while match was Molly McCoy vs Still Life.

There was 3 Crucible matches that felt like a complete waste of time as well.

Before the show, they had us "practice" booing and cheering. It def felt like they wanted absolutely nothing remotely out of the ordinary to go wrong.

Whole thing lasted less than 2 hours and that was with 2 intermissions. Not sure what to think of it. It was just kinda there.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

DM Punk posted:

To me, it feels like this was something for WWE.

I know this bit is just you speculating, but goddamn I will cry if this is the case.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

2015: It's hilarious that goofy, family friendly Chikara is involved in a storyline about a man haunted from committing war crimes.

2019: Chikara is possibly being funded by Saudi blood money.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I highly doubt money would be involved. It is interesting to note IWTV is doing a marathon CHIKARA archival upload right now. If they were going to the Network, they would take the archives.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

DM Punk posted:

I was at the show. They kept teasing that the show was an experiment with a BIG partner. To me, it feels like this was something for WWE. Maybe to see if its something they'd want on the Network or not. Quack wrestled Sonny Defarge in the main event. The only other worth while match was Molly McCoy vs Still Life.

There was 3 Crucible matches that felt like a complete waste of time as well.

Before the show, they had us "practice" booing and cheering. It def felt like they wanted absolutely nothing remotely out of the ordinary to go wrong.

Whole thing lasted less than 2 hours and that was with 2 intermissions. Not sure what to think of it. It was just kinda there.

As someone who has loved Chikara for god knows how long, this sounds absolutely dreadful and the antithesis of what Chikara is. Obviously I wasn't there and can only react based on what the others have said but that definitely sounds not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004

Akileese posted:

As someone who has loved Chikara for god knows how long, this sounds absolutely dreadful and the antithesis of what Chikara is. Obviously I wasn't there and can only react based on what the others have said but that definitely sounds not great.

It wasn't TERRIBLE, just uneventful.