Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

feelix posted:

You're wrong and coaches don't know poo poo. Even if you're one of the small amount of people who should be doing static stretching, you sure as gently caress don't need to be doing it for an hour and for every joint in your body.

I'm not doing it that excessively dumb poo poo I'm saying doing even a small bit is good for you and lifters could stand to do it or at the very least foam roll instead of being stiff as gently caress and complaining.

Also years of gymnastics and tons of stretching for mobility and flexibility and I seemingly get way less injuries than my peers despite doing the same poo poo as them.

Also said nothing about purely doing static stretches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

feelix posted:

"stretching is generally a good thing to do" is like "food pyramid" level of outdated health and fitness knowledge

so is a modicum of flexibility in my posterior chain a bad thing?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

so is a modicum of flexibility in my posterior chain a bad thing?

you're saying meaningless things but using big words to make it seem like you're not

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

JebanyPedal posted:

I'm not doing it that excessively dumb poo poo I'm saying doing even a small bit is good for you and lifters could stand to do it or at the very least foam roll instead of being stiff as gently caress and complaining.

Also years of gymnastics and tons of stretching for mobility and flexibility and I seemingly get way less injuries than my peers despite doing the same poo poo as them.

Also said nothing about purely doing static stretches.

foam rolling!???

evidence based on a sample size of one!!!???

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Post your biceps and standing splits feelix

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

feelix posted:

you're saying meaningless things but using big words to make it seem like you're not

wtf are you some kind of angry hunchback?

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Post your biceps and standing splits feelix

I'm not gonna get banned for posting deadly weapons outside of TFR

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

wtf are you some kind of angry hunchback?

You literally asked "is some flexibility in your posterior chain a bad thing"

The literal answer to your question is, no, being able to bend your body is not a bad thing. Not being a literal immovable statue is not a bad thing. I don't think there's a single person in this world that needs to stretch to achieve "a modicum of flexibility in [their] posterior chain". Your question was meaningless

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

feelix posted:

foam rolling!???

evidence based on a sample size of one!!!???

Foam rolling feels good as poo poo.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
what is the name. for the yoga position the goatse man was in

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

jimmyjams posted:

Saluting The Bunghole.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

jimmyjams posted:

the opening goat

or vasagoatnamaste

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

JebanyPedal posted:

A lot of lifters who literally do not stretch can stand to do it. I know dudes who are as strong as me or stronger but get sprains and pains constantly because they don't stretch like monstrous morons. They think five minutes on the treadmill is enough and then they can work up to 485lb sets on squat with no issue.

Thank gently caress my wrestling coach stressed the importance of stretching and would make us do the most hideous painful extended stretches.

You are stronger if you don't stretch. You trade mobility for strength.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Shamino posted:

Maybe true but I'm still lifting a decent amount of weight and even as gymnastics emphasized flexibility and mobility literally every dude I knew from my group had insane upper body strength, it's not nearly that binary, you need both for the sport.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

feelix posted:

You literally asked "is some flexibility in your posterior chain a bad thing"

The literal answer to your question is, no, being able to bend your body is not a bad thing. Not being a literal immovable statue is not a bad thing. I don't think there's a single person in this world that needs to stretch to achieve "a modicum of flexibility in [their] posterior chain". Your question was meaningless

oh so you are just yet another insane internet pedant

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Shamino posted:

Eh, if you actually manage to increase your mobility that's true but most stretching for most people just doesn't do anything and is a waste of time

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

oh so you are just yet another insane internet pedant

It's worthwhile to be pedantic about Internet health and fitness bullshit because people very commonly do the specific thing you are doing -- use evocative language with no meaning or thought behind it to justify practices. What you're saying is on the same level as people who talk about "toxins", and questioning what you're saying is just as worthwhile as asking those people what exactly a "toxin" is.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

feelix posted:

It's worthwhile to be pedantic about Internet health and fitness bullshit because people very commonly do the specific thing you are doing -- use evocative language with no meaning or thought behind it to justify practices. What you're saying is on the same level as people who talk about "toxins", and questioning what you're saying is just as worthwhile as asking those people what exactly a "toxin" is.

If you are insanely inflexible from living a sedentary lifestyle it is defacto bad for your body and your posture, even weightlifting can't correct that on its own.

I don't know why you have such an insane hate boner for simple loving stretching. I wouldn't have been able to do half the poo poo I did on rings or pommel horse if I was as inflexible as I started.

How the gently caress are you going to teach some nimrod how to do deadlifts properly if they can't even bend slightly down without their hamstrings protesting?

This isn't some phooey poo poo genius.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

JebanyPedal posted:

If you are insanely inflexible from living a sedentary lifestyle it is defacto bad for your body and your posture, even weightlifting can't correct that on its own.

I don't know why you have such an insane hate boner for simple loving stretching. I wouldn't have been able to do half the poo poo I did on rings or pommel horse if I was as inflexible as I started.

How the gently caress are you going to teach some nimrod how to do deadlifts properly if they can't even bend slightly down without their hamstrings protesting?

This isn't some phooey poo poo genius.

That's a lot of ifs

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

feelix posted:

so are you saying that people should not stretch their backs when they feel tight and stiff? because that is all i am saying buddy

edit: also adult human bodies are remarkably resilient at cleaning themselves out and sometimes fasting for a few days doesn't hurt anything and might actually help. so idk what you are getting mad about here.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jan 4, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
Ultra Carp
U sound hot op

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
My white wife does yoga with many women of all ages and races. Real sweet faces, every different nation, Spanish, Hatian, Indian, Jamaican, Black, White, Cuban, and Asian

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

feelix posted:

That's a lot of ifs

Yeah man IF you don't want to be some hosed up slug and IF you want to be able to recover properly after an injury and IF you want to do some occasional, low effort maintenance to maintain healthy flexibility and mobility you should do ten minutes of stretching occasionally.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i only read the first post but im a black man who does yoga for basketball, your heart is at least in the right place OP.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

drjuggalo posted:

i only read the first post but im a black man who does yoga for basketball, your heart is at least in the right place OP.

If you do enough yoga you can eventually leap twenty feet and hurtle downwards to deflty slide through the hoop with your toes touching your nose and then your tailbone will plummet towards the earth like a pointed blade penetrating the floor of the court driving so deep you rupture the septic line spewing poo poo all over the stadium as you scream in agony "AHHH MY TOOTER BONE HURTS."

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

~Most people who do yoga don't need it to synergise with weird deadlift bodybuilding poo poo~

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Isn’t yoga just like English calisthenics from the 1800s and has nothing to do with India other than it being adopted there during English occupation and integrated with local traditions

No. Meditation has been practiced and integrated into Indian religions for thousands of years. Ancient Indians noticed that body position a person meditated in changed how they experienced the meditation and this led to yoga's development as a physically-oriented form of meditation where you repeatedly change body position while in a meditative state. Its a practice which has been attested to in India for longer than there has been a British state. What you posted sounds like something you got from a UKIP version of Uncle John's Bathroom reader.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PersonMan posted:

Actually, anime is the only media statistically proven to make normal brained folks move to the right.

I don't think pedophilia is particularly right or left wing though?

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
No federal certification programs for: personal trainers, nutritionists, astrologers

There's a reason

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Hey fellas, I think we can at least all agree: yoga pants, amiright? Mmmmmmm mmmmmm mmmmm

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

feelix posted:

When I'm crunching static plates at the gym, I find it's beneficial to extrapolate my anterior abacus discs before doing so. Pls advise.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

No. Meditation has been practiced and integrated into Indian religions for thousands of years. Ancient Indians noticed that body position a person meditated in changed how they experienced the meditation and this led to yoga's development as a physically-oriented form of meditation where you repeatedly change body position while in a meditative state. Its a practice which has been attested to in India for longer than there has been a British state. What you posted sounds like something you got from a UKIP version of Uncle John's Bathroom reader.

Nah

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Maybe rebranding yoga for black people rather than white people would cure the disparity you’re seeing, OP.

Introducing “Yo-gga”. The ‘Urban’ way to get fit.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Torquemada posted:

Maybe rebranding yoga for black people rather than white people would cure the disparity you’re seeing, OP.

Introducing “Yo-gga”. The ‘Urban’ way to get fit.

:staredog:

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I did a pilates class yesterday and had a pretty rough time because I'd never done one and was always kind of behind and a little lost and out of sync.
I wonder if the lady in front of me saw the 'despair and sorrow' in my eyes as I tried to figure out which way our loving arms were waving this time.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Strategic Tea posted:

~Most people who do yoga don't need it to synergise with weird deadlift bodybuilding poo poo~

Culturally appropriated meditation-stretching based on some ancient religion: not weird

Bending over and picking up a heavy weight: weird

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
If the heavy weight you are picking up isn't a large rock or a tree trunk, you are actually appropriating American culture. Especially if it's in a shape of circular plates attached to a bar.

You wouldn't dress up like a cowboy in your daily life, so don't lift barbells.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.
stretching is good and you should do it, a goon misunderstanding an internet article he once read about stretching before lifting notwithstanding

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just do low weight reps for a few minutes and you are good. Don't need to go all downward dog if you just gonna lift things over your head.

Yoga's cool tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Devils Affricate posted:

This is the kind of article that makes people turn into republicans Trump voters.