Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby is the most powerful warrior and our greatest champion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Kirby also loves sweets and rest and peace, coincidence?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

This is going to be another Made in Abyss where I like the soundtrack cause it’s by that Pelkin guy but never actually watch the show.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Mulderman posted:

Devil's advocate here. That's not really the reason for getting a slave or his views on women in general.
He had a rough initial introduction and got hosed over by an evil bitch. This caused a severe lack in trust in people in general, not just women.
Slaves being unable to lie and betray him, is something he can deal with in order to prepare himself for the upcoming fights.

Shield Hero is supposed to be a damaged hero. And you can tell an interesting story about that.
It's a shame the author hosed up literally every single opportunity to do so.

I mean yeah maybe but it's always women. Like if he had a bunch of different minions of different genders and ages, but in these stories it's always like 12-24 year old women, so regardless of how the story is presented I know it's just wish fulfillment.

All of the story is just justification about why this anti-social grump going on adventures with young women who can't tell him no somehow has some meaning.

Not that it can't be entertaining, but I think it's a little naive to think that the author wanted to tell a certain story and just accidentally ended up with a harem of slave girls.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bring back El Hazard, the veteran of the isekai genre, imo

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mulderman posted:

Devil's advocate here.

No

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Shinjobi posted:

Bring back El Hazard, the veteran of the isekai genre, imo
:hellyeah:
There was actually some talk about that recently. I think they were trying to Kickstart a new OAV. I don’t think it’s happened yet but I might toss some money to them if it does. I loved the original.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

:hellyeah:
There was actually some talk about that recently. I think they were trying to Kickstart a new OAV. I don’t think it’s happened yet but I might toss some money to them if it does. I loved the original.

They put it on a Japanese crowdfunding site and only got 16% of 5M¥ with 33 patrons, but it was a flex goal campaign, so they are doing something:
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/90343/preview?token=yeplhurg

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
i don't have anything to say about the show beyond "this is bad and also boring" and it would join the ranks of many other bad boring shows i forgot about after seeing one episode, but seemengly every anime community apart from here is overrun with people who think it's amazing and get very angry and loud every time someone doesn't like it

scrolling past them isn't hard but it's annoying how it's everywhere, go stan for something actually good instead

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Yeah it's concerning how many people are talking about this show as if it's worthy of merit and then there's... this thread

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
devil's advocate here, I love rape and slavery

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

Taking you to a medium sized jail.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wait until you get to the rare reverse version of 'But really I'm a 5000 year old vampire'

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Lurking Haro posted:

They put it on a Japanese crowdfunding site and only got 16% of 5M¥ with 33 patrons, but it was a flex goal campaign, so they are doing something:
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/90343/preview?token=yeplhurg

Okay, I'm very disappointed that I didn't know about this and it didn't get funded.

Evil wizard who can't grow a beard is exactly aesthetic that Jinnai would grow into.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Ardeem posted:

Okay, I'm very disappointed that I didn't know about this and it didn't get funded.

Evil wizard who can't grow a beard is exactly aesthetic that Jinnai would grow into.

Detective Mouri, is that you!?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Freakazoid_ posted:

*magically transports you to another world where rape and slavery is cool and good*

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Beasteh posted:

Yeah it's concerning how many people are talking about this show as if it's worthy of merit and then there's... this thread

Production values are tricking everyone.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Fun Shoe

CharlestonJew posted:

*magically transports you to another world where rape and slavery is cool and good*

-gets eaten by a giant hawk-

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

I really liked .hack//sign as a kid but I also forgot when it was on half the time so I missed like every other episode and don't remember seeing any sort of conclusion. Did the show have an actual conclusion or was it a "go read the source material" sort of thing?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Captain Cappy posted:

I really liked .hack//sign as a kid but I also forgot when it was on half the time so I missed like every other episode and don't remember seeing any sort of conclusion. Did the show have an actual conclusion or was it a "go read the source material" sort of thing?

Sort of. Tsukasa gets out and starts dating Subaru IRL, Sora gets data drained and turns out to have been a little kid, and everything is set up for the plot of the PS2 games.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

What's interesting about this show, insofar as anything is interesting about yet another isekai, I'm pretty sure that the mood whiplash from 'that's a lovely thing happening to the main character' to 'the protagonist is being a complete bloody sociopath' is actually intentional.

Since I'm watching this POS against my own will I will report back later.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

You can just not watch it.

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

chumbler posted:

You can just not watch it.

I do not have that option at this juncture.

That said, I'm not obligated to be sober for it so.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Why do you not have a choice?

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

BattleMaster posted:

Why do you not have a choice?

Because the rest of my viewing group has not yet realized that show is garbeaux. That said I have little doubt that they will reach that conclusion within a couple episodes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:sever:

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

Nah. I force them to watch trash all the time. What goes around comes around

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Ardeem posted:

Jinnai I still love you, you bastard of a man

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Devil's advocate here. That's not really the reason for getting a slave or his views on women in general.
He had a rough initial introduction and got hosed over by an evil bitch. This caused a severe lack in trust in people in general, not just women.
Slaves being unable to lie and betray him, is something he can deal with in order to prepare himself for the upcoming fights.

Shield Hero is supposed to be a damaged hero. And you can tell an interesting story about that.
It's a shame the author hosed up literally every single opportunity to do so.

Yeah, that's certainly how the show is perhaps meant to be viewed but the show is real bad at convincing us of it.

I am actually so convinced that there is a good show somewhere under all of the mysoginistic garbage that I will write an outline for how I would play these first two episodes, including the false rape accusation and picking up a slave to fight for him, but with 100% less mysoginy.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Finally, the one thing we needed: Shield Hero Fanfiction.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The show sets such a low bar that it would be hard for any fanfiction to be worse without actively trying to be.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

ViggyNash posted:

Yeah, that's certainly how the show is perhaps meant to be viewed but the show is real bad at convincing us of it.

I am actually so convinced that there is a good show somewhere under all of the mysoginistic garbage that I will write an outline for how I would play these first two episodes, including the false rape accusation and picking up a slave to fight for him, but with 100% less mysoginy.

what the gently caress

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
"false rape narrative" is such a fraught subject matter that you're probably safer handling lava with bare hands

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

"false rape narrative" is such a fraught subject matter that you're probably safer handling lava with bare hands

To kill a mockingbird had a false rape accusation as a central plot point. There are ways to handle it well.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
You guys are all missing the point that Shield Hero was ever meant to be an antihero or have a warped perspective. It's literally incel logic where single straight men are the most marginalized group in the world and everything bad is due to Chads and Stacies.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nah, that bit is actually true. The author said that naofumi's hosed up mostly as a reflection of the world he's stuck in, though in the bits of the WN I looked at it mostly took the form of woe-is-me internal narration over whatever awful thing he had to witness (despite being party to said event occurring).

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1032131552707133440?s=19

Motto fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 19, 2019

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

Pharohman777 posted:

To kill a mockingbird had a false rape accusation as a central plot point. There are ways to handle it well.

and fanfiction of the incel isekai is most definitely not one of them

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Motto posted:

Nah, that bit is actually true. The author said that naofumi's hosed up mostly as a reflection of the world he's stuck in, though in the bits of the WN I looked at it mostly took the form of woe-is-me internal narration over whatever awful thing he had to witness (despite being party to said event occurring).

This is the most hilariously fart-smelling nonsense I've read in a while, bravo

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Motto posted:

Yeaaaaaaah, no. You don't get to write him being disgusted with a turn of events and not wanting to watch while you make the reader suffer through it and claim anything resembling the high ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

Question: Why doesn't he just buy a weapon (that isn't a slave)?