Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Nah, that bit is actually true. The author said that naofumi's hosed up mostly as a reflection of the world he's stuck in, though in the bits of the WN I looked at it mostly took the form of woe-is-me internal narration over whatever awful thing he had to witness (despite being party to said event occurring).

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1032131552707133440?s=19

There's a big difference between intent and delivering on intent. Doesn't matter what he may have intended to do if he didn't do that.

Captain Cappy posted:

Question: Why doesn't he just buy a weapon (that isn't a slave)?

The show explicitly calls out that he's not allowed to use any other weapons because he gets shocked if he tries. It's a super contrived mechanic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Captain Cappy posted:

Heroes are magically forbidden from wielding anything but their specific weapon.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

what happens if you throw a rock at something and you are not the rock hero

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

thats right baby, slingers again

you thought i was done but im bringing it back

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm the Hero of pouring boiling oil over the castle wall

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Meet my friend, hero of trampling people with horses. He's a great guy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Much like araki writing increasingly specific and esoteric uses for stand powers, just people inheriting skills and weapons that are further and further removed from actual warfare and are otherwise unable to do any damage to people unless they meet the conditions.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Ardeem posted:

Heroes are magically forbidden from wielding anything but their specific weapon.

A better show would be testing that logic.

He already uses bomb slime things as weapons.

He could have to figure out a way to have offense while skirting the definition of what is and isn't a weapon. Or less contrived he could just have gotten an actual monster slave and played pokemon.

I'm watching this too so it's not like I have some moral high ground, but the whole slavery/incel thing is definitely either the philosophy or fetish or something else of the author's. It's definitely not there as social commentary or to make him a tragically flawed hero.

That being said raccoon girl is cute and he should let her out of slavery and they should just be best buds but of course he won't.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hero of people falling over because the hero has glued their shoes to the ground, etc.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The hero of various jump rope related injuries is a bit too versatile, but wait until you see their finisher.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The hero of pushing comedic large stacks of library books on top of people.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I was goingt o say the hero of papercuts but that ones too unpleasant for even me.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The hero of Turkish Wrestling is every turkish wrestler already because they are also my heroes.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

I'm the Hero of pouring boiling oil over the castle wall

There's nothing heroic about that.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

chumbler posted:

There's nothing heroic about that.

He's the thin oily line between an army of greedy and unscrupulous city sackers and the terrified citizens within.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Sharkopath posted:

The hero of Turkish Wrestling is every turkish wrestler already because they are also my heroes.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter. I like your ideas.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Captain Cappy posted:

Better question since he's "Not allowed to use non-shield weapons." Okay you want to make the idea that he's an Employer and his slaves are his Employees, why didn't you make his first slave a man? Then even if you eventually want him to buy a female slave, that could be a sympathetic "I brought her to release her." or to give her a 'job' like Secretary or something that doesn't involve fighting.

What I'm saying is you can twist it anyway you want, but he brought a female slave for the sexual thrill of owning a female slave. Just like said slave ages herself to consenting adult (physical) age for sexual reasons.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Sharkopath posted:

Meet my friend, hero of trampling people with horses. He's a great guy.

mount&blade.jpg

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Hero of poisoning an enemy army water supply by sneaking dead animals into it

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sharkopath posted:

what the gently caress
It's viggymash, it's how he do

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
I filed down my shield into a narrow, sharp piece of metal and moved the grip to one end

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Onmi posted:

Better question since he's "Not allowed to use non-shield weapons." Okay you want to make the idea that he's an Employer and his slaves are his Employees, why didn't you make his first slave a man? Then even if you eventually want him to buy a female slave, that could be a sympathetic "I brought her to release her." or to give her a 'job' like Secretary or something that doesn't involve fighting.

What I'm saying is you can twist it anyway you want, but he brought a female slave for the sexual thrill of owning a female slave. Just like said slave ages herself to consenting adult (physical) age for sexual reasons.

But with the mind of a child still! :barf:

I wonder what a talented writer would do with the concept. I imagine someone like World Trigger´s Ashihara could knock this out of the park. Using the specific shields to alter the battlefield to his advantage. Using the rope shield to set up traps etc.
Then get rid of the underage slave girl and replace her with another male, or at least someone who also has a disadvantage. Maybe a guy who can use a single powerful spell, but actually HAS to rely on the shield hero, like he has a long startup time, so it places extra importance of shield hero setting up the battlefield.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

if anything that twitter quote makes everything worse because that's just turning it into that "hard men making hard choices" thing where people fetishise the idea of being the guy that gets to send others to their death and generally make life miserable for most everyone but yourself but it's for the greater good trust me

he had no choice but to enslave women lmao

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

SerCypher posted:

That being said raccoon girl is cute and he should let her out of slavery and they should just be best buds but of course he won't.

I read the wiki and apparently he does free her from the slavery spell then she deliberately goes under the spell again to prove her devotion to him or something and lmaooo

:gas:

Kortel
Jan 7, 2008

Nothing to see here.
Apperantly his shield has the ability to strengthen (power level) slaves. Which is the reason he adds a few more party members as slaves. Including a child who was an abused slave and makes a joke of it.
Yeah.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Hero of falling out of a tree and landing on people.

It's a dangerous technique.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Hero of Scalding Hot Coffee

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Beasteh posted:

I read the wiki and apparently he does free her from the slavery spell then she deliberately goes under the spell again to prove her devotion to him or something and lmaooo

:gas:

He also has all the misanthropy and poo poo-bag sucked out of him at once point and his slaves get upset because they want the angry, hateful shitbag back.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

Hero of Scalding Hot Coffee

Hero of the Stuntman Fire Suit.

FartRomancer.EXE
Jun 26, 2012

hero of catapulting diseased bodies over the walls of a besieged city

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Not even one Final Fantasy I issekai.
Man did you miss out

This was bad but in the saturday morning cartoon way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WfLEWe9-8 is basically the best part of each episode condensed into one video.

Shinjobi posted:

Bring back El Hazard, the veteran of the isekai genre, imo
You could pick pretty much any 90s isekai and it would dunk on any modern example of the genre.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Like garzey's wing!:shuckyes:

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I don't think that qualifies as an isekai, because I sat through FF Unlimited and I can't remember anything but the guy loading his gun.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's an isekai cause the kids fell into/were lead by the female lead into the magic fantasy land. Um...and there's a dude in white with a sword. And the bad guys were....small? poo poo, I'm drawing a blank past that. Ah well, the music was fun at least.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
What is amazing is that we haven't burst the isekai bubble yet, they keep producing this stuff season after season.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

They keep pumping this poo poo and meanwhile there’s no word of a second season of Re:Zero or third season of Konosuba, the only two modern isekai shows that have been worth a drat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

J-Spot posted:

They keep pumping this poo poo and meanwhile there’s no word of a second season of Re:Zero or third season of Konosuba, the only two modern isekai shows that have been worth a drat.
Slime isekai is good, you should try it

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Can confirm slime isekai is good and cool

Light the Doomrider7 signal

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Captain Invictus posted:

Slime isekai is good, you should try it

I gave it the old three episode test and while I give it points for not being gross it didn’t really do much for me. The slime would always just pull out some magical power to solve every problem that came along and I don’t find that very interesting. When I heard the premise I was expecting him to turn into more of a Dragon Quest type of slime who would die to a level 1 adventurer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Isekai can be good but it's usually when they're just slice of life poo poo or something relatively different like that knight hans one where it follows a dude in a world and people keep getting isekai'd to his village and he has to handle these stupidly overpowered random people in his retirement, rather than directly following a single isekai person