Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

I just saw that Shield Hero is getting 2 more seasons.

Go figure that incels and the larger anime community have a big overlap.

Also we live in hellworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
The web novel is apparently the grossest version of it as Naofumi is practically very much pro-slavery in that version. Original Naofumi is basically a pragmatic sociopath.

The LNs definitely try to paint Naofumi as more conflicted over the whole thing (with the initial purchase of Raphtalia being a moment of character weakness) but the author is simply not a great writer so it's extremely poorly done.

But then there's the really gross bit later on where Naofumi actually does get over a lot of his issues and be a noble hero, only for his literal slaves to lament and want their rear end in a top hat back. That part really seems to paint Naofumi's worst parts as supposedly being a good thing. It makes it hard to take a lot of the issues with the franchise being just poor writing.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

doomrider7 posted:

I remember reading something about some LN's being drat near completely rewritten by editors to fix so many problems in them so that they can be sold at all. It wouldn't surprise me if Shield Hero is one of them.

There's that and a lot of them are adapted from web novels that the authors often wrote when they were teenagers so they've matured a bit since. The big example being SAO where the author's other works show a lot more skill.