Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I don't think the video gamey stuff in isekais is because people want to design video games, because the gamey elements are usually old-school grinds and poo poo, rather than the sort of wildly complicated games and poo poo that idea guys often come up with. The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor definitely feels like one of those video game idea guy things because the mechanics of the video game are set up and elaborated upon, and they are completely crazy, with the ultimate asspull of "an AI manages it" to answer all questions. LMS' video game systems makes SAO's questionable game design decisions look completely sane.

I'm guessing it's probably a mix of following what's trending as well as shorthand. They're not trying to appeal to people who don't like video gamey isekais. Anyone that enjoys video gamey isekais has predictable expectations. If there's levels and skills, then you know to write a grinding scene. A grinding scene is easy to squeeze in meeting other characters, as well as inventing a clever way to use a skill (that's not all that clever if you think about it but that's not how you're supposed to react), etc.

It's sort of like the demon king setup that's common to isekais. It gives the protagonist a goal to aim for (when they are often not the sort of people with long-term unselfish motivations), it places them on a pedestal as the fated/chosen/etc. hero with special abilities, it makes them popular with the locals/tolerable despite their quirks.

Of course the next step from these common setups is to subvert and twist them. The leveling system is part of a nefarious scheme! The local inhabitants know about levels too and it's part of their everyday life! The hero is actually the unchosen one! The people are just manipulating the hero with the myth! etc. etc. You can get some good stories out of tired, worn-out tropes with good execution. Heck, Konosuba is pretty much grabbing all the standard isekai video gamey elements chosen hero stuff and then making fun of it all.

And lastly here's definitely an element of writing what they like/know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Hero of Tricking Enemies Into Swallowing Magnets

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Is Harry Potter isekai?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

The inside of a computer isn't another world.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It's amusingly painful to see how far we can stretch the definition of isekai but the Japanese definition works.

Edit: Is Jesus an isekai protagonist?

Argas fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jan 31, 2019

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I've heard it's a thing really old Japanese literature sometimes did but that's not a claim I ever followed up on. I'm sure someone on this subforum knows more than just an educated guess.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bit late on armor chat. Sharkopath, know anything about Chinese armor throughout the ages? Or Korean? Japanese armor would be cool too but I've read more on Japanese armor than the entirety of armor anywhere else in Asia combined.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I feel like Shield Hero has just revealed to us that yes, the standards of people in general really are that low and we'll overlook horrible, awful things if there's enough of a hook.