Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://i.imgur.com/RQ5BYUG.mp4

Maxwell Adams fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
If we're gonna dig into the psychology behind this turd, there's an important detail to consider: most of the girls Naofumi deals with are princesses. Spoilers coming, who gives a gently caress. All the girls in Naofumi's party are some kind of child and some kind of princess. They all have no agency and are absolutely loyal to the protagonist. They are all coming from the same mold, where the idea of a perfect girl somehow encompasses the notions of 'completely reliant' and 'completely reliable'.

The princess fetish continues with the antagonist Malty. She's an adult, she wields power, and much of the story is structured around the looming potential disaster of Malty becoming Queen. That would somehow be more terrible than the waves of monsters that keep showing up.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Sharkopath posted:

(Little do they know I'm doing it to send us ALL to the abyss.)

What, there's another void past this one?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Nitrousoxide posted:

This is such a frustrating show.

Inscrutable enemies being assholes for no reason.

Oh, you haven't seen anything yet. You just wait until that pope guy gets going.

This is the general pattern of the story: the whole world is against Naofumi, the persecution just keeping scaling up. Then the world bends over backwards to give him a chance to make amends, but he throws a temper tantrum and ruins everything for himself. The only times he is able to find some peace is when a woman is literally kneeling before him and acknowledging his greatness.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I love that Shield Hero lowered the bar so hard that Goblin Slayer is totally fine by comparison.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

mycot posted:

I actually envy anyone who was watching Irregular At Magic High School when it was on because it seems like a dime a dozen harem anime until BAM the imouto opens her mouth and recites all of Atlas Shrugged.

Is a man not entitled to the single giant sweat drop on his brow?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Namtab posted:

We've established that watching it "ironically" is just a way to say that its being watched for the sake of it. The argument of watching it for genuine critique doesn't stand up when you observe that there hasn't been a single critical analysis of this it. At best there's been a review which is not the same.

Hero of Telling People Not to Look at Train Wrecks

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The funny thing is, they're trying to shave off some of the rough edges in the anime adaptation, but they're making it even worse. In the LN/Manga, when Naofumi buys Raphtalia, he is motivated entirely by malice.

Actual text from the Shield Hero Light Novel posted:

I caught the eye of the raccoon-girl. And I realized, looking into her eyes, how I felt.
Yes. This thing was a woman, the same gender as that one that betrayed me. I looked into her scared eyes and immediately thought that I wanted to control her. I thought I could just pretend that I’d turned Myne into a slave… If she died, it might make me feel better.
“All right then, I’ll take the middle one.”
“An excellent choice, and it makes my life easier too.”
The slave trader produced a key and opened her cage. She stepped out, and he put a collar around her neck. She let out a yelp.
I looked at her, quivering in fear, and felt a wave of satisfaction wash over me. I imagined that other woman quivering in fear, just like this, and it made me feel great.

The anime doesn't include Naofumi's internal monologue, so these details are all left out. Later on, when Raphtalia is reaching out to him after the duel, they added a piece of dialog where Naofumi admits that he was just thought of her as a tool when he bought her, which Raph forgives him for.

In the original version, buying a slave is a horrid act, beyond redemption. Naofumi never admits how he felt then, and he certainly never tries to be forgiven. The anime tones things down by making his decision pragmatic and forgivable, which is actually way worse.

Happy Shield Hero day everyone. Next time, on Shield Hero, Naofumi goes back to the slave trader and blows all his money on a random monster egg.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma9SgC1L6w

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

CharlestonJew posted:

goddamn this is a hell of a quarantine zone

No.

This is.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They Tried To Make The Anime Better Than The Source Material But Actually Made It Worse Report:

First off, they introduced the Queen in this episode. In the Manga/LN they introduce her much later on when they start getting into the political ramifications of summoning heroes into your country, and it was obvious the author was trying to bolt new ideas onto a story already in progress. Having that character around from an earlier point makes a lot more sense, but they showed her in a foreign castle in a more industrialized country. The audience will naturally assume that she's the Queen over there, which will really confuse things.

They added some not-so-subtle hints that Raphtalia is hot for Naofumi, which he is completely oblivious to. I really wish they wouldn't have done that. Originally, Naofumi just treats his slave girls like they're kids, and even says that he thinks of Raphtalia as his daughter. The anime has already had Raph shift from a daughter figure initially do a mother figure in the previous episode. Just treat her like a kid, please, you've explicitly stated that she has the mind of a child.

They changed the race a bit, having Naofumi barely win. Originally the Spear Hero falls into a hole near the end. I actually thought they would cut the whole race, it's completely pointless.

Finally, the big one, is Filo changing into her human form. Originally they take her back to the slave trader so he can figure out what kind of Filolial she is, and she gets put into a cage. This stresses her out and she transforms, giving us the image of a naked angel girl in a cage calling for her master. The anime has her change form while she and Naofumi are sleeping, so Naofumi can wake up with a naked little girl in his lap. Not actually sure which is worse there.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Incidentally, Crunchroll is putting together an AMA with a Shield Hero producer this saturday.

https://www.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/ang4t7/announcement_ama_with_shield_hero_producer/

He's purely a business guy, and doesn't actually work on making the show, but he'll probably answer some questions about the business arrangement with Crunchroll.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Pewdiepie posted:

Please stop typing up giant posts about shield hero. I am begging you.

Last week’s episode was heavy and emotionally draining but also very satisfying. This week’s episode was like the laugh that you have after crying a lot because your friend tried their best to make you feel better.

We finally met the queen who looks like she’s probably not about to take all of the shenanigans that the king nor princess are doing. The Bow and Sword Hero don’t appear to be here for any of it either and seem to be continuing their slow progression to possibly align with the Shield Hero more so than not.

Naofumi continued displaying his nurturing skills by being imprinted on by a baby filolial, which is a bird like monster that hatched from an egg. The new addition to the party named Filo helped to put Spear Hero back in his place twice.

Woo! That's a lot for just one episode but it was thankfully a nice palette cleanser. Naofumi even smiled a lot?! That was a lot for one episode but felt like a reward for everything we went through last week.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Lurking Haro posted:

Death of the author, etc.

The author in question is some guy who works for Crunchyroll. Because Crunchyroll is funding this thing and actively promoting it. And their audience is eating it up.

As soon as this show and everything around it stops being fascinating, I'll stop posting about it.

Oh look, here's another thing on Crunchyroll:

quote:

The largest Japanese mobile phone operator NTT Docomo has announced the popularity ranking for the 31 TV anime titles that premiered on its streaming service dAnime Store in this winter 2019 season. The online survey was conducted with the dAnime Store users between January 25 and February 1. The number of total votes was 63,688 (male: 43,561/female: 16,843/unknown: 3,284).

Male Top 5
1. "The Rising of The Shield Hero" - 5,030
2. "The Quintessential Quintuplets" - 4,534
3. "KAGUYA-SAMA: LOVE IS WAR" - 4,237
4. "How clumsy you are, Miss Ueno." - 2,793
5. "Wataten!: An Angel Flew Down to Me" - 2,736

Female Top 5
1. "The Morose Mononokean Ⅱ" - 1,780
2. "My Roommate is a Cat" - 1,685
3. "The Rising of The Shield Hero" - 1,523
4. "KAGUYA-SAMA: LOVE IS WAR" - 1,486
5. "The Quintessential Quintuplets" - 1,108

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Shield Heroes Rise Up

I want you all to get hype for tomorrow's episode. It has my favorite part from the manga: Naofumi just about wipes out his own party through a series of terrible decisions is the victim of unjust circumstances and it's very sad that these things keep happening to him, very tragic, and if you think about it Shield Heroes really are the most persecuted minority in Melromac.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
They Changed Stuff for Added Emphasis on Slavery Report:

The scene with Filo thrashing against a magic force field while being branded with the slave tattoo was new.

They had Filo learn wind magic for some reason? I guess whirlwinds are easier to animate than a giant bird that jump-kicks everything to death. They also had Raphtalia learn her invisibility spell much earlier. Turning invisible during fight scenes: also very easy to animate.

They added Raphtalia to the dungeon crawl scene where the monsters whisper your fears to you. That meant that Naofumi heard the thing he feared most from Raphtalia: "I'm sick and tired for being Naofumi-sama's slave. I only pretended to become his slave again so I could kill him with my own hands". They didn't use the scene to show us Raphtalia's fears, though, thus maintaining the source material's commitment to never developing her as a character.

Then they rearranged the chapters a bit, meaning I have to wait a whole week for the big fight scene where everything goes wrong. I'm still looking forward to that.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Space Flower posted:

assuming things are done to expedite animation and framing decisions as lazy is pretty lame when the show has multiple instances of what you'd imply they're shying away from. this ep features multiple bird kicks and raphtalia approached a monster while cloaked for and it failed completely. her multiple acrobatics and swordplays in the fight were visible.

Yeah, the Nue fight was well done. But then there was the bandit fight, presented here in it's entirety.

https://i.imgur.com/H0n5xO9.mp4

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Dire Lemming posted:

I'm just waiting for the next thing to be dazzled by.

Well, it won't take long for the next episode to get here, and this is the good one. I'm a bit worried about how they're rearranging the chapters, though. Hopefully they'll stretch out the overgrown village quest, because I don't want anime viewers to miss out on the godawful cliffhanger. If they miss that, they'll miss out on what is quite possibly the worst anime bullshit cliffhanger resolution I've ever seen.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The show is now trolling me by being regular bad, instead of ultra-bad like I want it to be.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Akumos posted:

Is there something inherently wrong with false accusations and a jaded protag?

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mulderman posted:

Why DID he put a slave crest on the chicken?

Because the first one was too weak, and Filo was able to break through it.

https://justpaste.it/429tc

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

a cartoon duck posted:

so like, with all the talk of levels and smacking people with shields apparently being completely harmless, does shield hero take place in a video game or something? i idly assumed it was the fantasy world type of isekai

It's a world that works on video game rules. The other three heroes were experts at games that were very similar to this world, and were summoned through those games. The Shield Hero was summoned through a book he didn't even read, he just flipped through it looking at the pictures.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Anime Changes Report: Viable Romantic Partners Edition

We got a hot springs episode, it was really awful. Raphtalia and Kick Fighting Chicken spent half the episode pursuing their romantic interest in Naofumi. This storyline left out the best part of the hot springs bit in the light novel, where Raphtalia abandons all subtlety and just drops her towel in front of Naofumi. Naofumi just mumbles something about her scars looking better and nothing happens. It's clear from his internal monologue that he doesn't even think that anyone could be interested in him, and doesn't want to pursue any romance with anyone.

The anime completely made up the second half of that episode. They want to play up the romance between Naofumi and his slaves, it's the biggest change they've made so far.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
I like the parts of Shield Hero where Naofumi is a dysfunctional rear end in a top hat and the plot is extremely stupid. There's a lot to like.

Namtab posted:

Maxwell....

Alright, I took out the text from the light novel.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
Those son of bitches showed Naofumi making magical accesories but LEFT OUT THE BEST BIT

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Elephant Parade posted:

why are you still watching this

why did you read the manga

I read the manga up to "If you're such a good person, why don't you have slaves" and had to read the rest. Now I watch the show so I can keep you people up the date with the proper reasons to hate it.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Jackard posted:

I cant get over how loving dumb and whiny the main character is

hey

on-topic posts are MY gimmick

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Monocled Falcon posted:

so is it true that the secret the false rape accusations is that the church just doesn't like the shield hero? not even that the shield hero is secretly vital to defeating the demon king and the church is evil and wants the world to end?
they just picked one of the four heroes to hate for no reason, not even because a past shield hero was a dick?

That's loving hilarious.

You are seriously underestimating how dumb this story is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

TheHan posted:

Yeah that's where I think a discussion about adaption scrubbing off all the grime from its source material would be really interesting.

Well, they're trying to scrub off that grime for the anime, but their only goal is making the characters sympathetic by never having them make a morally compromised decision. It sucks, it removes the weight that these concepts deserve, and it makes the story worse.

Take the moment where Naufumi buys Raphtalia. In the light novel, you read Naofumi's inner dialog, and it is intensely ugly. He's just been hurt by Malty, and now he wants to see a woman suffer. In the anime, that's gone, so it just seems like he's making a pragmatic choice. He's probably frowning because he feels guilty about having a slave.

Or take another example, when Raphtalia confronts the guy who captured her, tortured her, and sold her off to the slavers. In the source material, Raphtalia stabs him immediately, they fight a bit, then she stabs/hurls his rear end out a window. The anime has her stoically marching towards him as he whips her face, then she says that killing him would make her as bad as him. Then they fight a bit, and the guy trips over his own whip and falls out the window on his own. It's dumb as hell.