Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

runupon cracker posted:

Nice work by... whoever... to take a decent concept and turn it into "we're the dumbest people in an anime ever and by the way women are manipulative whores."

Fuckin gross.

Don't judge it by how a single woman in it acts. Judge it by how they solve that plotline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Bakanogami posted:

Shousetsuka ni Narou generates a ton of content, of which pretty much anything that updates regularly and makes the ranking gets a print version. If you walk into a bookstore and look at a LN shelf these days a significant chunk of what you see started on Narou or one of its few competitors.

If you scour Narou you can find maybe a handful of series that are honestly pretty good- the aforementioned Re:Zero, Slime, Konosuba, Log Horizon, and Bakarina, for instance. I might add a few more like I'm a Spider So What, Sword Dad, Bookworm, Death Mage, Kenkyo Kenjitsu, and Make My Abilities Average that don't have an anime or so much hype around them yet, but that you can expect to see in the future. Stuff on this level is good enough that you can at least recommend it to someone without it being awkward.

Then you have the biggest group, the stuff that is generally enjoyable, but that has some sort of problematic...issue about them that make things uncomfortable. Last Season's Goblin Slayer, though it didn't start on Narou, is an example of this. So is Death March, Gate, or this summer's Arifureta. They might be fine most of the time, but have just a little bit of rape/slavery apologism/underaged love interests/uncomfortable nationalism/etc that ruins it.

Then you have the absolute garbage, where I'd be uncomfortable being in the same room as the author. Shield Hero goes here.

No idea why they thought this would be a good idea to adapt.

Kumo desu ga is getting an anime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqu4D8P_oLQ

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

I have a friend who keeps bugging me to ask what that series is. Could you let me know so I can let him know?

TBH any random ninja anime has a high chance of stripping.

My guess is Senran Kagura.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

J-Spot posted:

:hellyeah:
There was actually some talk about that recently. I think they were trying to Kickstart a new OAV. I don’t think it’s happened yet but I might toss some money to them if it does. I loved the original.

They put it on a Japanese crowdfunding site and only got 16% of 5M¥ with 33 patrons, but it was a flex goal campaign, so they are doing something:
https://camp-fire.jp/projects/90343/preview?token=yeplhurg

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Hungry posted:

Serious answer: video games are very popular and influential, and people like to create art similar to things which have inspired them, but very few people have the skills or connections or resources to make a video game. Writing has the lowest barrier to entry of any art form. Both Japan and the West are chock full of amateur writers who really want to make video games, but in Japan it's all isekai web novels instead of Amazon self-published fantasy slush.

Writing contest are starting to ban Isekai entries.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

You mean aside from Kodansha?

Kadokawa did the same.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

The hero of reclaimed land.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

https://myanimelist.net/blog/papsoshea

Another one for good measure.

https://myanimelist.net/profile/literaturenerd/reviews

I had made the mistake several months ago when the anime first got announced to check out the manga on a guys recommendations that it was like Dark Souls(yeah loving right) and read the first chapter and the tropes page. There is NO loving WAY that the author isn't misogynistic or have MASSIVE issues with women on top of some kind of rape fetish going on given the sheer amount of violence against female characters and how brutal it is.

Edit: One thing that occurred to me was that one two separate occasions, some all female or at least female led teams that were highly ranked such as Silver and loving PLATINUM which means they could take the loving demon lord were BRUTALIZED by goblins. All were raped obviously, but the former were used for target practice, fed their own entrails, and dumped in a river with the latter being decapitated except for their leader whose sword-I poo poo you not-got stuck because of the cold allowing the goblins to overwhelm and gang rape her in a church before GS saves her. He helps recover her sword where she recovers enough of her self-esteem to use a lightning miracle causing an avalanche killing the goblins from which GS predictably comes out of with her sword. She gives him a locket of her hair and goes back home to reconcile with her family since she was a noble girl who longed for the freedom of being an adventurer. Yeah you can kind of see where all of this kind of goes in terms of implications.

:eyepop:

Checked the Trope page to check and says they were only Steel-ranked, since you were putting so much emphasis on it.
Still hosed up.

One of the sins of the TV adaptation was the copy paste moons unless that was on purpose.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Fear of being falsely accused, either maliciously or by mistake, is pretty great in Japan with groping being such a problem.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Embarrassing childhood photos hero

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wallrod posted:

Also dungeon meshi isn't an isekai at all, just a fantasy setting

It's also seriously one of the best mangas i've ever read

Neither is Helck. Please read it anyway.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

I think for it to qualify as an Isekai, travel and interaction with the new world has to be the main major point of the series. These may fit, I dunno.

Isekai checklist: The plot revolves around being reborn or transported into another world

That's it.

This definition is from the Japanese Wikipedia article, you'd better believe those Otaku.

Lurking Haro fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jan 30, 2019

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp

Hero of barely on-topic thread derails.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mulderman posted:

Even if you don't watch anything else. At least watch the latest episode. It's a glorious trainwreck showing everything wrong with this series.

1. Shield Hero is at the celebration party but acts like a little kid and does nothing to help fix his image.
2. Shield Hero gets dragged into a 1 on 1 match vs Spear Hero. Who is egged on by the princess who for some reason isn't done loving with Shield Hero and now wants to take his slave partner away.
3. Slave Girl gets captured and hold against her will, she was showing agency of her own, so clearly she is under some kind of control spell.
4. Princess interferes with the match and starts laughing, yet nobody bats an eye.
5. Spear Hero points out that forcing slaves to fight is wrong. This is portrayed as a bad thing.
6. Slave Girl points out that he only used the painful force ability whenever she was too afraid to fight. RED FLAG! RED FLAG!
7. Slave Girl gets her slave seal removed and lashes out at Spear guy, telling him that if he's truly a good guy like Shield Hero, he would have also had a slave by his side. Wait what?
8. Princess starts acting like a huge racist rear end in a top hat, but no-one seems to care, not even these Isekai heroes who previously stated that they should be better than the people of the world they got send to.
9. Slave Girl tries to talk Shield Hero, is genuinely nice to him. But he lashes out anyways. Bitching about no matter how hard he tried, nobody likes him. So she gives him a motherly embrace by putting his head in her tits.
10. This causes Shield Hero to no longer see her as a young kid, but as a more grown up person (who still has the mind of a child, I'm not letting that one go)
11. The other 2 Isekai heroes show up and point out the obvious cheating that happened during the match. The king and princess who thus far have been able to force everyone in going along with their plans, don't bother doing so now and instead just walk away.
12. People still hate Shield Hero
13. But he now likes the taste of food.

Oh and all the while, this beautiful soothing music plays, telling the braindead fans of this show to feel emotional about the things that are happening.

And next episode he gets a chicken loli! And after restoring Slave girls slave seal, he also forced one on the chicken loli!

Like I said before, Shield Hero is a boring sludge of a series, but every now and then it spikes heavily into the what the hell were they thinking territory.

I don't know what's wrong with 3.

7. was meant as why he doesn't free slaves if he actually cares for them. It seems Spear Hero only cared because Malty told him/Raccoon girl is cute. Still came across as weirdly worded.

making GBS threads on Shield Hero has been the whole series so far.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Number 3 is that they conclude that she is not being controlled by the slave collar, but therefore standing up for a rapist like the Shield Hero, she must be under some form of stronger mind control.

Oh, after they removed the slave seal.
I was too distracted by SH moping.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Did they also cover Raph asking to be re-branded for sentimental reasons? Because that decision always baffled me.

This didn't happen yet.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Pewdiepie posted:

How come everyone is up in arms over the positive depiction of slavery in shield hero but not the positive depiction of slavery in kakegurui?

Fetishes

Darth Walrus posted:

IIRC, the princess is a fragment of an evil goddess who's the story's main villain, and she's playing her dad, which is why he eventually gets redeemed and she... uhh... doesn't.

So she's a bitch elemental? Explains why she's so one-dimensional.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

doomrider7 posted:

Even if he had to get a slave, why a 10 year old girl? As an aside, wasn't there some link to an article about how/why Crunchyroll got this series?

In-universe reason: price.
He did go straight for her though instead of checking for other ones.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

lmao gently caress off this is idiotic, no poo poo titty armor is impractical

there are two general reasons for having titty armor: some men like it because it shows tits, some women like it because they like to imagine themselves as cool and sexy

what is the point of ~*~~subverting~~*~ this by subjecting people wearing it to brutal sexual violence? we already know it's impractical. all it means is that the former gets to see more titties, and the latter is gatekept out because you can't involve yourself into your silly fantasy hobby without the threat of sexual violence

Nobody wears bikini armor in GS and it's made fun of as lingerie?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Another infantry armor thats not blackened, just more really rad engraving.

Oakeshotte really hates this kind of armor because its got an undiginified slope to the chest that comes to a point before the waist but I love it.

I don't think it served any purpose either its just how they wanted it to look.

It makes the codpiece look bigger.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

I declare Sharkopath the Armor Hero.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

I'm going to delete you from the internet, and life

Death of the author, etc.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Maxwell Adams posted:

The author in question is some guy who works for Crunchyroll. Because Crunchyroll is funding this thing and actively promoting it. And their audience is eating it up.

As soon as this show and everything around it stops being fascinating, I'll stop posting about it.

Oh look, here's another thing on Crunchyroll:

It's ok, Namtab forgave you, so you don't have to die.

Ytlaya posted:

I think there's going to frequently be colonialist elements to the whole "Japanese person reincarnated in fantasy setting who ends up an extremely powerful figure who everyone loves (because, at their core, these stories are all wish fulfillment/power fantasy vehicles)" genre. Like, the basic premise of these series requires that the protagonist be praised and loved as a positive transformative element by the native inhabitants of the world in question (because that's a major part of the fantasy it's selling).

All this being said, the Slime series is not bad because of colonialism; it's just extremely boring and makes me sort of vicariously embarrassed because it's like a harem anime, only instead of appealing to "a desire to have girls interested in you" it's appealing to "a desire to have others like and respect you." The picture it paints is even more depressing when you realize that most isekai of this nature have adult protagonists. Like it seems like the goal is to sell a fantasy of being powerful and accomplished to actual adults with depressing work/life circumstances.

There would still be the element of "but this sharing of knowledge was only made possible through the involvement of our civilized protagonist."

Many people want to have the slime as a boss instead of being the slime.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Namtab posted:

I want to have the slime as a subordinate

With great power comes great responsibility.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Dire Lemming posted:

Well considering there's an exchange going on that implicitly acknowledges that both sides have something of value, they are on somewhat equal footing. It's not the only way to portray that but it's an easy way. Also the people he's selling the information to don't need it, they're getting on just fine without his knowledge, he's not saving them from something. And finally he doesn't dictate how the information he's selling is used, the people he's selling it to are free to use it how they see fit.

Konosuba in general avoids being heroic savioury because Kazuma isn't a heroic saviour. The show is a parody of the wish fulfilment power fantasy so naturally it avoids most of the pitfalls associated with it.

A previous guy infected a whole village with Chuunibyo and christened them with joke names.

Onmi posted:

We don't even know the Author's gender I believe they write under psudonym as their name "Aneko Yusagi" means "Older Sister" and... who knows for the second name. No interviews with them in public. And to clarify, he gets all his negative emotions drawn out and becomes cheerful and not a misanthrope and so they turned him back so he would "Be himself"

The author is claiming to be genderless.
http://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/172188/blogkey/774887/index.php?p=10

quote:

ちなみに自分称は僕ですが、性別はありません。

quote:

Even though I refer to myself using Boku, I don't have a gender

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

also gotta say 'claiming to be' is kinda hosed up wording here

just because they wrote the Bad Light Novel doesnt mean that decisions they make about their gender shouldnt be respected

Welcome to author personas.

Additionally, It might have been out of context and actually explains a character.

That's what happens when I just Google search and don't read the whole article.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

what the gently caress is this post dude

The thread talked so much about incels, they started showing up.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it smooth? Is their like, a vestigial ear hole? What kind of abomination is she?

Don't discriminate against the beast people.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

KittyEmpress posted:

A friend showed me the giant fat chicken characte and it's super cute because I used to raise chickens

Is the anime actually ultra bad, because the chicken is cute and fat.

It's a middle of the road Isekai with boring RPG mechanics and terrible undertones.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

drilldo squirt posted:

I'd really like an answer so I can write my warhammer 40k/ shield hero fanfic.

Beast people are normally magical corruptions of humans in origin, so yes, the human empire would go try extinguish them, but not themselves.

Just rewrite the waves as the empire and it would work out.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Galvanik posted:

Two people in my WoW guild like this show, and that makes me sad.

So they like it for the slavery or for the women hating?

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

:ssh: that's the secret third option

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Akumos posted:

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't try to get into his pants for being such an awesome master.

-e-
If Filo didn't turn into Flonne, it would be hilarious.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Instead of money everybody got you the exact same model of crockpot because it was on sale.

What a shame, they are all the wrong voltage.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Creamed Cormp posted:

it's weird, you'd think people would just hear "Shield Hero depicts child slavery in a positive manner" or "Shield Hero basically starts its story on the idea that women like to falsely accuse men of rape" and actually give up on watching or defending it online but here we are huh?

That's what people mainly criticize, even though it's factually wrong.
The actual slavery and misogyny complaints only started later.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

I thought that was a misreading, and they were talking about one of their characters being agender?

Yes, the author was writing about a character, not themselves.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

RatHat posted:

I think her whole village was sold into slavery so Naofumi's just telling the slave trader to look for them so he can buy and release them.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

which character

A character called Arch/Ark/アーク.

http://mypage.syosetu.com/mypageblog/view/userid/172188/blogkey/774887/index.php?p=10 posted:

その代替案としてアークを出す事になりました。
この子は作者の昔の作品のキャラで、設定が似通っていたので引っ張って来ました。
ちなみに自分称は僕ですが、性別はありません。

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Most light novels, unless they're written by Minoru Kawakami (Horizon), Nisio Isin (Monogatari, Zaregoto) or sometimes Ryohgo Narita (Baccano, Durarara), are also fairly short.

76 pages is scraping the bottom of the barrel even for LNs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

LorneReams posted:

Not really, the MC was pretty much reviled (right or wrong) from the first episode. I watch some garbage for sure, but this was so tame (in plot and depiction) it leads me wondering if there is a different edit out there or something. It was like a slightly conveluted "hero journey" almost by the numbers.

Most people mention the webnovel's events.
The anime is almost milquetoast except when Malty shows up.