Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

i want an isekai where the main character brings modern farming equipment and it ends with him crushing the demon king with a tractor like that one girl at the end of shiki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

while both of them treat women pretty loving bad Shield Hero is absolutely worse than Goblin Slayer because in Goblin Slayer all of the gratuitous horrible stuff that happens to women is portrayed as being bad and something that is supposed to make the audience hate goblins and like the guy who kills them, whereas in Shield Hero from what I understand the hero sells women into sex slavery and does hosed up things to them and we're supposed to like him and think that it's good that he did that

ultimately it boils down to a contest between "women as disposable plot devices who are raped and murdered constantly in order to make the audience hate the villains and root for the hero to stop them and also maybe because the author has some kind of fetish for it" and "women are evil monsters and the audience is supposed to root for the hero as he enslaves them and does all sorts of other horrible poo poo to them", where both are bad but the second one is definitely worse

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it was pitched to me as "isekai where everyone hates the main character". I thought maybe that the reason the setup for this was him being falsely accused of rape was simply because the author couldn't think of anything else which would result in universal hatred. It doesn't necessarily have to come from a place of the author hating women or anything. I though "maybe it's just a plot point that comes across as kind of insensitive, but wasn't written out of any kind of desire to send a message"

i was loving wrong though, holy poo poo

let's list off some poo poo that happens in shield hero:
the hero buys female slaves. he keeps them, too, this isn't the usual "oh I bought you just to free you but now you're so grateful that you follow me around anyway" poo poo. dude has slaves.
hero forces a woman to legally change her name to "Bitch"
a guy starts seeing all women as pigs and hearing their voices as oinking sounds
a woman sells another woman into sex slavery because she thinks a guy she likes is more attracted to her

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ViggyNash posted:

Even if you believe all of the bullshit evidence set forth, we're talking about one of the 4 heroes of legend here, the people you've been slobbering over for hundreds of years.

to give incredibly minimal credit where it is due, apparently at some point they show that the legend actually predicts that the shield hero is going to be an evil rear end in a top hat that everyone is gonna have to just put up with if they want to live, which is maybe part of why they were inclined to believe that was a rapist

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Namtab posted:

Because they went and read the things in order to discuss them online.

I feel my life is enriched by the fact that I heard they were bad and did not then attempt to find out how bad

I actually just read a 2 paragraph summary of everything bad about it, which allowed me to tell the guy I know that keeps telling everyone to watch it to shut up while also not having to watch it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the hero of tripping in a way that makes people laugh but then lying motionless on the ground long enough that the people who laughed feel bad and start to wonder if you're actually hurt

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

persona 4 is an isekai because the main character moves from a city to a small town

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

K-ON is an isekai because yui is introduced to the world of light music

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Can Of Worms posted:

Is Final Fantasy X an isekai? :thunk:

yes

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Onmi posted:

No it isn't, it's an Isekai-Fakeout. Dream Zanarkand is a physical location inside Spira's world. The best way to understand the plot of FF10 is the moment someone says "Dream x" Mentally substitute "Dream" with "Aeon" and "Dreaming" as "Summoning." Tidus is an Aeon, summoned by a mass summoning by the survivors of Zanarkand, to preserve their history as an Aeon-simulation. It is a physical location off the coast of Spira.

the fresh prince of bel-air is also an isekai

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Gyges posted:

Is The Truman Show an Isekai?

yes

so is Apollo 13

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

shawshank redemption is an isekai

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if you're so nice, why don't you own a slave?

checkmate, abolitionists

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Yeah this was an underlying argument for why Goblin Slayer is lovely. The author chose to write a world where there's a mongol-like horde of demihuman monsters that reproduce through rape. He chose to have (almost every) female character have some brush with the raping. "ooh how did you lose your eyes? oh, goblins". This was a concious writing decision to make this place so filthy and lovely that of course a garbageman looks heroic.

And something I realized very recently, about the writing... what are the GS character names?
https://goblin-slayer.fandom.com/wiki/Category:Characters
They loving have none. Except the protagonist. He has four.

Goblin slayer-san by the priestess, in English
Goblin Slayer - in Japanese by everyone else
Beardcutter - by dwarf
Orcbolg - by elf

No one else is more than a cardboard cutout except This Guy

I'm not gonna say Goblin Slayer is good but you can't act like "Goblin Slayer" is more of a name than "Dwarf Warrior" or whatever, people are just referred to by their job titles

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

I still can't get over "if you're so nice, why don't you own slaves?"

like it's still blowing my mind, days later

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Harem anime where the childhood friend appears to be about to confess to the main character but instead delivers the entire john galt speech stretched out over 5 episodes with no animation other than lipsyncing and the sun slowly setting in the background

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

Is Broly an isekai because he came from another world
all of dragon ball is an isekai

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

superman is an isekai

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Rent-a-Bot posted:

Why do so many isekai include slavery in their escapist fantasy setting yet all but outright refuse to engage with the dissonance that would be faced by a protagonist that comes from an era that regards slavery as an absolute evil? Would they feel compelled to try and use their newly gifted power to enact change or would the invisible hand of the status quo make them feel compelled to stay within the bounds of their assigned role?
the reason so many isekais include slavery but don't address the kind of culture shock that would occur when someone from a modern, anti-slavery nation encounters it is because they're written by the people who wish slavery was still legal

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

Pop Star is an agrarian backwater in the universe and nobody has the will to change it, Dreamland is a post scarcity society of free peoples whose only authority figure is a ceremonial position and doesnt hold any real power. (Dedede still is cool as heck)

I dont think Dedede's guards even would get paid anything because dreamland doesnt have commercial activity beyond self sufficient farming or gathering by the stars, they just follow him becuase hes a friend.

pop star is routinely threatened by extradimensional evils and the complacency of its populace will eventually lead to its brutal destruction

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

lots of training mostly

how do you train a horse to not die instantly from fear when it sees a pointy object

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Stairmaster posted:

i think he was operating on an irony level too high for the thread

i'm surprised that that's possible

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Namtab posted:

It is in fact entirely possible to have a fantasy series that isn't isekai

incorrect, every fantasy story transports the reader into the world of imagination and is therefore an isekai

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

drilldo squirt posted:

Is it smooth? Is their like, a vestigial ear hole? What kind of abomination is she?

additional eyes

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Akumos posted:

I mean they are both "monsters" and one turns into an adult within 1-2 eps and one turns into a giant bird and he basically treats them like normal companions in any other anime that I've seen. He actively tries to improve their lives and they seem willing to stay in his party? It's like barely a plot point at all, may as well not exist, could have just been some weak sick girl he recruited off of the streets and generic loli monster girl companion. If we're weirded out by childlike companions fighting that's like every loving isekai anime sadly. His treatment of them as slaves is clearly portrayed somewhat as a joke, at no point is he like whipping them and forcing them to do horrible poo poo. The worst he does is make racoon girl get over some fears and learn to fight but then she apparently stops caring immediately after and he basically never orders her to do anything again so whatever.

the fact that one of his child slaves turns into a teenage girl in 2 weeks because of magic and that the other one is technically a giant chicken does not really make things better to the degree that you indicate

if it's barely a plot point at all, why does he go out of his way to put a slave thing on the big chicken even though this is portrayed as being expensive, she visibly hates it, and she seemed totally willing to hang around and do what he said without one?

he does not whip them because he literally has magic shock collars on them that he can activate at will, which he does multiple times to the raccoon child while forcing her to fight to the death with monsters

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

the shield hero eats pizza with pineapple topping

as do I

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The only slaves you will find in this holy chapel are slaves to kindness and tenderhearted romance

do you need a shock collar for that or is this going on the honor system

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

if your wedding rings aren't capable of emitting electric shocks whenever you or your spouse command them to are you even really married?

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

The next person who makes a Debate and Discussion post I am going to kick their head off.

This is a tyranny now.

politics

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

the bullet would kill you, sending you to hell where you would have to read both

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Might be a bit awkward if the horrible fetish this world is built around is not your fetish, though.

I Was Reincarnated Into A Monstergirl Harem Anime But I'm Not Into Cloacas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

A 9mm bullet weighs about 7 grams.

An arrow weighs about 18 grams.

An arrow heavy enough to act as a "long range mace" wouldn't fly for poo poo.
noted archery documentary "Green Arrow" has taught me otherwise