Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Huh, wonder if this has calmed down into a actual discussion thread now that we’re a ways out from the inciting incident...

I guess not... :shrug:

Tell us what you think about the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I don’t think the author just happened to accidentally write a story where a man revels in enslaving a woman and has a woman who accuses him of rape renamed to bitch. Stories aren’t birthed from the void fully formed and the way the narrative rationalizes what Shield Hero does as necessary or just what the people around him force him to do hints to more than a bias on the writer’s part.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
We know the author isn’t an amazing person because they wrote Shield Hero.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
I like hearing details about Incel Hero without having to watch it. This thread is the only place on the internet I've found that talks about Shield Hero beyond the bland as bricks slave girl. Though I imagine after going through two scrub downs in the process of going from light novel to manga to anime the only real thing of note left is the slave girl. Next season another isekai or controversial anime will be announced and Shield Hero will fade from relevance, so might as well get your yucks while you can.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
The honeypot has gotten too sweet.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Has any youtuber done a video essay on the merits of sanitizing troubling media in adaption, it's like the only worthwhile thing Shield Hero brings to the table.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

LorneReams posted:

I don't try to dig that deep into it, otherwise, I wouldn't like Pokemon.

Every edgy 13 year old and famous Youtuber trots out Pokemon to laugh and go "Haha, cockfighting!" and it always just shows an unwillingness to meet the source material even halfway. They sub in chickens and dogs for Torchics and Yampers but don't bring up that these Pokemon have intelligence comparable to or exceeding a human's. The games never imply Pokemon are being forced to fight, and when a whole game's story revolved around asking "Is catching Pokemon ethical?" they went out of there way to highlight that the Pokemon have a choice as well.

Shield Hero explicitly calls them slaves and says they're being forced to serve him. You don't have to dig that deep, a well placed fart would uncover it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

That is true, but once you get past that aspect outside of the first episode it's just a generic isekai with pretty good animation. It's not super surprising that it's popular.

Yeah that's where I think a discussion about adaption scrubbing off all the grime from its source material would be really interesting. Crunchyroll obviously, desperately, wants it to be their star and your star can't spend the whole series fantasizing about taking it to those loving Stacies. It's not like this is the first anime to play the happy slaves card (That being Aladdin (1992)), but I think it's the first to originally come from a place of outright hatred for women.