Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I liked the idea that there were people from different versions of Japan/our world in this other world, is there anything actually good that takes that idea and runs with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That's more from different time periods, unless there's later stuff that indicates otherwise.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LorneReams posted:

I love series that have systems that are exploited/twisted in fun ways (I majored in Cryptology and game theory) yet all the ones that are interesting tend to be gross in various ways (no game no life, death march, etc.). I wish I could find more, but I get hooked on any that are front of me, such as Log Horizon and Overlord.

I was one of the few people who made it through No Game No Life because I enjoyed the gamey aspects of the show enough to cringe my way through the rest of the show.

I can't defend the movie at all though. It begins with 10 minutes of unexplained grimdark before the little sis shows up to gently caress the big bro in very explicit terms. That's where I gave up.

Kingtheninja posted:

I thought log horizon explored the game system really well and I miss seeing that. Like when they figured out making food, or building costs. That part of the show really interested me.

Yeah I really liked how the players experimented with the gamey mechanics in Log Horizon. I wish the second season wasn't bad but there's always the LN.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

UnderFreddy posted:

Isn't this somewhat also the plot of Overlord?

It's the core premise really. He had to pretend to be the Demon Lord that his persona was.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pierson posted:

Did Overlord ever really go anywhere with that? The plot I remember was that he was quite a timid man who just roleplayed an evil lich in his evil roleplaying megawhale guild, but when he got reincarnated/transferred he did actually end up having to live with those consequences, one of which being his now-actually-for-real genocidally-loyal underling NPCs and the fact that as a lich heightened emotions were squashed down. They played it for comedy a bunch but it felt like there could have been a gem of a plotline there as a regular human being tried to wrestle with succumbing to being an emotionless evil lich or fought to keep his human side intact.

No. I gave up on the anime because of that.

I was hoping they would play up the mystery aspect of figuring out what happened and hopefully find another player, and who is this other high-level mage that turned one of my subordinates with a super powerful magic item. But no, it's just playing out demon lord fantasies, extremely thirsty female demon characters, and unnecessary politics.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

was based specifically on western medieval fantasy, which has many shields.

The show can't decide if Naofumi is a grim antihero or a misunderstood sweetheart because he keeps switching off both sides. Like one moment he's using the slave magic to force the slave girl to stab a thing under pain of torture, the next he's buying her a nice lunch. None of his characterization makes much rational sense... unless he's just being disgustingly manipulative.

The thing I hate most about this show is that it could be a good show. I think there are ways to play the story so you have the same general plot beats but without any of the hosed up statements or implications the show makes.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 17, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Devil's advocate here. That's not really the reason for getting a slave or his views on women in general.
He had a rough initial introduction and got hosed over by an evil bitch. This caused a severe lack in trust in people in general, not just women.
Slaves being unable to lie and betray him, is something he can deal with in order to prepare himself for the upcoming fights.

Shield Hero is supposed to be a damaged hero. And you can tell an interesting story about that.
It's a shame the author hosed up literally every single opportunity to do so.

Yeah, that's certainly how the show is perhaps meant to be viewed but the show is real bad at convincing us of it.

I am actually so convinced that there is a good show somewhere under all of the mysoginistic garbage that I will write an outline for how I would play these first two episodes, including the false rape accusation and picking up a slave to fight for him, but with 100% less mysoginy.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The show sets such a low bar that it would be hard for any fanfiction to be worse without actively trying to be.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Motto posted:

Nah, that bit is actually true. The author said that naofumi's hosed up mostly as a reflection of the world he's stuck in, though in the bits of the WN I looked at it mostly took the form of woe-is-me internal narration over whatever awful thing he had to witness (despite being party to said event occurring).

https://twitter.com/frog_kun/status/1032131552707133440?s=19

There's a big difference between intent and delivering on intent. Doesn't matter what he may have intended to do if he didn't do that.

Captain Cappy posted:

Question: Why doesn't he just buy a weapon (that isn't a slave)?

The show explicitly calls out that he's not allowed to use any other weapons because he gets shocked if he tries. It's a super contrived mechanic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I would watch a show that is just a bunch of "heroes" with stupidly specific abilities trying to be adventurers.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

That's familiar but I can't put my finger on it. Source?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

I like log horizon because while the in game skills are effective for fights a lot of the stuff is about building a good society which has no in game analogue.

Morale is low, but then the catguy figures out that cooking properly instead of using the crafting yields actual taste. That's entirely my poo poo.

This is why I really Like Log Horizon.

ninjewtsu posted:

there's grimgar

This is a great show and I'm mad It'll probably never get another season.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I will never not be disturbed by the entirely genuine fanart on Reddit of Raphtalia. It boggles my mind how tone deaf the general anime fandom is.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

Fursonally, I too am shocked that reddit fell in love with the underage moeblob in a problematic anime. That sort of thing hasn't happened since last season!

I'm not shocked exactly, but it's still a hosed situation that I wish would change. Western anime fandom is always gonna be a stereotypically hosed hobby while these guys are our evangelists.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wonder what would happen if I made a 'here's why this show is hosed' post there.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Well, I tried and failed to give this show the three episode test. I only made it about 30 seconds into the new episode before I could no longer deal with Naofumi calling everyone lolicons for being friendly to his pet slave child. It boggles mind how blind the show is to the irony of it, and it would be utterly hillarious if we weren't talking about a textbook child abuse scenario.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Hrm. So this is just a repeat of the goblin slayer thread in other words. How droll.

Goblin Slayer does have some merit though. Not much, but some.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watch so much other anime that Google is forced to show you other things instead

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

KomeradeCanadian posted:

I don't think he's saying you have to, more like, you get a bigger understanding why it's garbage, and may be able to present a more coherent argument. For example, I actually convinced an impressionable younger weeb friend of mine that SH is advanced trash by pointing out "are you really ok watching a show about kid slave grooming?"

I like this thread more when we don't talk about SH.

Saving anime one anime fan at a time.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Everything Burrito posted:

pointing out something like that doesn't require watching it though, i've absorbed all sorts of plot points about this dumb poo poo including that without watching a single second. not exclusive to this show either, I don't think a person has to like, give a bad show the three episode test to be 100% sure about their opinion.

write things off more, not everything deserves a fair shake or a sourced critical essay :cheers:

Regurgitating things other people have said does not equal understanding an issue.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 25, 2019

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

KomeradeCanadian posted:

Are you really expecting people to cite and prove their work on loving anime opinions?

I expect people to not talk out their rear end like they're an expert on something. Anime or not that's not how a discussion works.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Hero of extracting small Legos pieces from choking babies

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The hero of passive aggressive eye pokes

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

mycot posted:

Hero of Beating Dead Horses.

Hero of resurrecting beaten horse corpses.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cuntellectual posted:

I decided to give shield hero a shot because some people whose taste I respect seemed to like it.

Putting aside the rape accusation thing entirely, is it just me or do people not seem to bring up the whole "loli slave harem" very much. Because that's a thing in this.

Idk if it's incompetence or willful ignorance but either way it's all hosed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think Goblin Slayer is mysoginistic so much as lazily sexist.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah, I think the rape accusation could work if played right, but that'd be a tightrope. However, there's a bunch of problems with this this version.

1) ALL of the evidence is contrived. Not a single thing makes sense in Co text of what we saw so either everyone is in on it to some extent or the people of this world are idiotically gullible. It's a real bad look either way.

2) There was only one female voice in the room, and it was Myne. Literally everyone else involved was male, from the other heroes to the guards to obviously the king. This is important because it makes the one woman in the room representative of all women, and that woman is a conniving bitch.

3) There's not a single dissenting voice besides Naofumi himself. Even if you believe all of the bullshit evidence set forth, we're talking about one of the 4 heroes of legend here, the people you've been slobbering over for hundreds of years. Yet everyone's immediately angling to burn him at the stake. Either the audience response is contrived to support his intended plot, or the author actually thinks that low of society in that they'll believe any bullshit they're fed. Goes right back to the mysogynistic bias.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

UltraRed posted:

Did anyone ever finish Helck? I see it's concluded now. I stopped during a big fight scene with whatever big reveal they had that was world building at the same time while Helck and Anne from Management were still trying to out overpower a few big bads with powers that we never knew they had but are now on display. Does it ever return to characterization, or is it just more just-in-time revealing stuff?

Ah poo poo I need to go back to that. I remember reading some of it when it was first introduced here.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Mulderman posted:

Even if you don't watch anything else. At least watch the latest episode. It's a glorious trainwreck showing everything wrong with this series.

1. Shield Hero is at the celebration party but acts like a little kid and does nothing to help fix his image.
2. Shield Hero gets dragged into a 1 on 1 match vs Spear Hero. Who is egged on by the princess who for some reason isn't done loving with Shield Hero and now wants to take his slave partner away.
3. Slave Girl gets captured and hold against her will, she was showing agency of her own, so clearly she is under some kind of control spell.
4. Princess interferes with the match and starts laughing, yet nobody bats an eye.
5. Spear Hero points out that forcing slaves to fight is wrong. This is portrayed as a bad thing.
6. Slave Girl points out that he only used the painful force ability whenever she was too afraid to fight. RED FLAG! RED FLAG!
7. Slave Girl gets her slave seal removed and lashes out at Spear guy, telling him that if he's truly a good guy like Shield Hero, he would have also had a slave by his side. Wait what?
8. Princess starts acting like a huge racist rear end in a top hat, but no-one seems to care, not even these Isekai heroes who previously stated that they should be better than the people of the world they got send to.
9. Slave Girl tries to talk Shield Hero, is genuinely nice to him. But he lashes out anyways. Bitching about no matter how hard he tried, nobody likes him. So she gives him a motherly embrace by putting his head in her tits.
10. This causes Shield Hero to no longer see her as a young kid, but as a more grown up person (who still has the mind of a child, I'm not letting that one go)
11. The other 2 Isekai heroes show up and point out the obvious cheating that happened during the match. The king and princess who thus far have been able to force everyone in going along with their plans, don't bother doing so now and instead just walk away.
12. People still hate Shield Hero
13. But he now likes the taste of food.

Oh and all the while, this beautiful soothing music plays, telling the braindead fans of this show to feel emotional about the things that are happening.

And next episode he gets a chicken loli! And after restoring Slave girls slave seal, he also forces one on the chicken loli!

Like I said before, Shield Hero is a boring sludge of a series, but every now and then it spikes heavily into the what the hell were they thinking territory.

Yeah ok. At this point the writers should just be exiled from the industry either because they're mind bogglingly incompetent or because they somehow actually believe that poo poo. I had a similar sense about the show after episode 2 but this really seals the deal.

What would be funny is if the next time a show like this came along, a someone bought exclusive rights to the show then refused to show it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

How the gently caress does someone watch that and unironicly nod along?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It's like if someone dropkicked a Jew to the ground, seig heil-ed, then helped the person they just dropkicked back on their feet, then you as a bystander go, "Aw, how sweet of him."

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

the same people who defend slavery in real life. it's literally the same argument.

Please allow me the blissful ignorance of pretending I don't share a fandom with Nazis and Confederate apologists.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

i mean, i feel like to some extent they pretty much create their audience; they're pretty much THE anime streaming site in the US (unless you really like dubs, in which case Funi, or you're still loyal to ADV somehow in which case Hidive) and whatever they put up and promote is gonna get views, period

if they actively went out of their way to get Shield Hero made despite it seemingly being unpopular in Japan, then that raises some... pretty big questions

So Japan doesn't care much for the show then?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Worst thing about Goblin Slayer is that I love the premise of "Guy who specializes in low level beginner monsters no-one else wants to bother with." But instead we got, well, Goblin Slayer.

To be fair it does actually do that. They just decided those low level monsters are also pathological rapists. I think if they toned the rape/torture way down or all the way and maybe game them other non-rapey traits it would have been good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Fortunately VRV isn't owned by Ellation, Crunchy's parent, anymore but if even indirect funding won't cut it then you'r poo poo out of luck for future Crunchy content.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Going back to the critique talk earlier, I think it's important that there are peopleb who watch the show unironicly with the intent of critiquing it. My argument comes down to the same reason we research and dissemniate information about history's worst attrocities: the have to be kept visible so they can be avoided in the future. Never cover up festering wounds because they only get worse and spread. Without push back, this show will be seen as a successful and lucrative outing, which means Crunchy will continue producing more of the same. And since Crunchyroll is likely the gateway for many incoming anime watchers, this will alienate and scare off any sane newbies, so only the same kinds of shitbag will filter through.

But the answer isn't to just take a massive poo poo on the show either. That only serves to tribalize the community and ultimately just makes everyone mad at each other. A public critique of the show would ideally appeal to their better nature and make them see reason, but failing that would reveal how hosed up they are to a wider audience. Imo that's literally the point of journalism: to bring to light something that the people involved either don't realize or don't care to acknowledge.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That particular case I think that's rationalization. But I have heard that there's a number of imperialism sympathisers in Japan along the lines of neo-nazis in the west.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

I've heard some stuff like that. At very least some REALLY right tilting people. With regards to critique that's a hard one. A lot of anitubers seem into the show(not looked up, don't want the algorithm to flood my feed), but even then there are some who see like ironically Mother's Basement who was wary, but the issue will always be that dissenting opinion will be ignored in favor of opinion that agrees which in turn will lead to that particular "critic" getting propped up. Someone like Ebert and Siskel is sorely needed. People not backed by anybody who are knowkedgable not just about that particular media, but story media in general that can sort am of the presented info in the shows and put out some good legit complex thoughts out.

Yeah, Idk anyone with enough clout who'd be willing to play the contrarian critic that hasn't already succumbed to bandwagoning.

punk rebel ecks posted:

I just went in Crunchyroll and saw that more people are watching this than JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. Let that sink in...

It can't possibly sink in any further. There's no point in pointing out the show's popularity anymore. Like I'm at mid-career software developer chasing obviously idiotic deadlines tier of jaded at this point.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Namtab posted:

1) Nobody here has produced any critical analysis, just criticism.
2) Nobody here is watching the show with that intent either.
3) There is no real pushback against this in the west, crunchyroll are already likely to view this as a success if they're getting good numbers out of this.
4) I'm not even gonna touch the point comparing watching bad media to something like research on historical atrocities except to suggest that a sense of perspective is required.

The only effective countermeasure against something like this isn't a debate, it's a boycott

I'm not saying not to boycott, absolutely do that. There's always alternative sources to watch the show that don't give Crunchy money. To point 4, I think that's perfectly reasonable, but also think this isn't just a case of the show being bad. Valvrave was a bad show, but it was overall inoffensive. Even Goblin Slayer, for all it's unnecessary rape and torture at least made it very clear that those are very bad things and you should be hunted down and beat up if you do them.

This show is actively fostering a very dangerous male perception about women and young girls. Just because it isn't a person saying hosed up things doesn't make it any less dangerous. I say it's more dangerous because that ideology is being Trojan horsed through the guise of a "fun" isekai show and is reaching millions through a relatively reputable platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

I’ve said it before, Valvrave was nazi apologia, down to the Jewish cabal. Except this was back in what, 2013? 2014? Before nerd culture got radicalized into fascists by gamergate and trump.

Maybe it was, I don't remember. I just remember marveling at how spectacularly nonsensical it all was. Or maybe it tried to be that but was so bad at being anything that it failed at being offensive.

This show on the other hand is very much succeeding at it's intentions. If you just look at Shield Hero's technical production, it's decent work. Nothing spectacular, but at least reasonable. The problem is that the end goal of that technical effort fetishises child slavery.