Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I sense a distinct lack of pile bunkers with these shields. Let's fix that shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Don't judge it by how a single woman in it acts. Judge it by how they solve that plotline.
That's what gets me about this outrage. If people think this is bad, it's only going to get worse because this first episode was actually well executed and inoffensive as far as first episodes go. Even the Melty's behavior is a plot point and coherent which is more than I can give last seasons dumpster fire of a first episode with Goblin Slayer.

We are just now starting the Naofumi edgelord phase and Raph was only teased. If the people getting upset at the false rape accusation are losing it over this first episode, I can't wait for uncomfortable implications love interests and drilling more holes because the rest are too loose :unsmigghh: if the anime even gets that far.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Snow Job posted:

Did anything other than the old web comic actually... go there? With Malty's death? I can't see professional writers / artists being eager to recreate something so disgusting.

I have no idea, I never followed up and read the light novels but I would assume they gutted that piece of the plot in favor of a more tame execution.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

Not even one Final Fantasy I issekai.
Man did you miss out

This was bad but in the saturday morning cartoon way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92WfLEWe9-8 is basically the best part of each episode condensed into one video.

Shinjobi posted:

Bring back El Hazard, the veteran of the isekai genre, imo
You could pick pretty much any 90s isekai and it would dunk on any modern example of the genre.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

The current arc is basically a bunch of people with hyper-specific stands all trying not to die. While being surrounded by mobsters, hunters, and assassin's also with very specific powers. I love it

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

It's absolutely frustrating that such a good artist is attached to this mediocre series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Space Flower posted:

You could read their action precure doujins
Comparing the Fate doujins from a decade ago to his current work, that's some good improvement all around.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

This just in: GATE is good now
Once again, another great artist working with a mediocre story. But Sao Satoru is a military nut that likes drawing highly detailed army equipment and sexy women so he's gotta be on cloud nine with that series. I do think GATE as a story has leveled out as well, it got better once it started focusing more on the Alnus politics.

Namtab posted:

Please....stopppppp
Isn't this the second quarantine thread you've made that's gone this route?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Oh, after they removed the slave seal.
I was too distracted by SH moping.

Did they also cover Raph asking to be re-branded for sentimental reasons? Because that decision always baffled me.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

How come everyone is up in arms over the positive depiction of slavery in shield hero but not the positive depiction of slavery in kakegurui?
I rarely see people bat an eye when the anime student council has power to rival the actual government.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Unless you're using that for some bedroom slaying, bikini armor will never be practical for any purpose. I don't think it's sexy to have an arrow sticking out of your torso.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

anyways all fantasy is fantasy and if it looks neat is more important than its friggin practicality because its all wrong.
You can be practical and look good while still being fantastical. I just think that for as often as GS as a series has professed the need for a practical and pragmatic approach to things, the fact that for some reason bikini armor exists as a viable method of seduction in the field is less believable than a parasitic race of rape monsters.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

DisDisDis posted:

that's literally the joke being made in those pages
That's pretty obvious, I guess I have this bizarre mindset where I think that some jokes just don't work for me :shrug: It just gets me thinking how many people buy that and how many live long enough to give a good review is all. Especially when subsequent pages give the more likely alternative to occur if your trying to get someones attention. Even operating on DnD logic there's only a single character shown that would be the right class to optimize that set of light armor. When you have Barbarian rage, ancestral spirits, and a +10 bonus to defense while wearing light armor you get the luxury of keeping all your vitals exposed and still fighting dragons. Everyone else gets told to wear chainmail at the very least, and the story has multiple instance showing why that's the case. Just do the more practical thing and put on some casual wear, hit up a pub or something.

The point is; fantasy armor is always going to be this groggy arguing point and you also shouldn't overthink a bad series because it's bad for your health. Also consider the benefits of hunting goblins while safely inside a tank. Fantasy series need more tanks if you ask me.

Mulderman posted:

I doubt it'll have much of an impact.
For better or worse, Shield Hero is a pretty big title and judging by the responses on Twitter etc. The majority of people have no issue with it. And I can totally see this becoming the next Sword Art Online or something.
I think it is going to have as lasting an appeal as Grimgar did to be honest. The anime is getting a lot of attention but once it ends I expect most people to move on to the next seasonal show and I see a dwindling number of reviews for the light novels of Shield Hero and I can assume people start to fall off after a while. Naofumi and Kirito are both edgelords, but I think kirito is a more appealing version of an edgelord if you're looking at market appeal. If Japan can manage to crank out a video game adaptation for Shield Hero that would tell me it has more going for it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Haven't read that one. Is it that bad?

In goblin slayer, the main character likens himself to Goblins themselves because he is their scourge much like Goblins are the scourge of humanity.

In Re: Monster, the main character is literally the goblins because he organizes the rape dungeons himself with the added help of magical hentai aphrodisiacs so that everyone eventually "consents" after being locked in cages and force fed the stuff for as long as they can hold out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

This show seems so terrible that it has to be seen to be believed. Should I watch it?

Most of the outrage is people putting on airs. The real bulk of the offensive content has been neutered across 3 different adaptations and the anime is the most tame of the versions, while still unable to escape some incredibly eye rolling moments and terrible implications. If you want to watch a trainwreck this is your show. If you want a fantasy story with a well written plot and interesting characters you can root for; Promised Neverland isn't getting enough love, and Jojo is still happening. Also I've heard Radiante is good, but takes a few episodes to take off.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't think it's a "fun trainwreck". It's a well-produced show with a rote but competent isekai storyline. There aren't really many moments of unintentional comedy. The only interesting point is how blatant the misogyny is and how closely it tracks to incel talking points.

It's not a fun trainwreck, it's a regular one where the cast and story trips over itself almost every episode for one reason or another. A competent Isekai story as of late isn't really a good story in my opinion, much less most of these light novel adaptations that have been coming out in the past half-decade. How many times do I have to see a story where the main character is this guy with a "bad" or "mediocre" skillset that's secretly the best one for the story but nobody will recognize him until he's saved everyone from at least 1 doomsday scenario? How many stories need to prop up the MC by having everyone around him/her act moronic?

Cipher Pol raises a good question. This is a video game system at play, and the balloon enemies are trash mobs. How much damage can they deal to the spear hero who is way above their level and has armor that's been funded by the kingdom itself? It is 100% possible in some RPGs to get to the point where an enemy deals 0 damage too you, most commonly revising the first area of a game after a few dungeons will demonstrate this but not always as 1hp is usually what I'll encounter. But if pain happens because you got hurt, am I supposed to believe that an enemy even Naofumi can handle and only gives 1xp, was able to deal even 1hp of damage to the spear hero? Yeah it's a humiliating scene, but does it really make sense?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

a cartoon duck posted:

the shield hero eats pizza with pineapple topping

He may be scum, but there's nothing wrong with pineapple's on pizza. :colbert:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mulderman posted:

The slave seal bullshit makes no sense and the excuse that Slave girl willingly gets it back in order to protect her from other slavers is idiotic. Because there is NOTHING preventing people from kidnapping her and removing the slave seal like they did before. Why would having it prevent her from being kidnapped again? People hate the Shield hero, so slave seal or not, if they wanted to mess with him they would do so regardless.
I dropped off the show but I also don't remember many mentions of slaves until we get to the noble who has that one beast kin locked in his cellar dungeon . I don't even remember the slave brand being a big deal because most people who meet Raph don't care she's a slave, they care she's an ally to Naofumi. Same with the big chicken.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Namtab posted:

Don’t you think that the world of shield hero and the protagonist not caring about the girl being a slave and actively endorsing it as good may be indicative of the authors views
I just want to nitpick a stories setting and world building without trying to figure out how recent the writers breakup occurred or whether or not his country has more accepting views on slavery.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
You would be surprised by the number of light novels and manga that feature slavery as a prominent recruiting place for the main character. Alongside this most of the isekai stories I've noticed go with beast-kin slaves like Raphtilia. To the point where it's a cliche at this point.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

are you trying to argue that japan does, in fact, have more accepting views on slavery? idgi
No, I'm not up for trying to figure out if what people put into their stories indicates any personal views. And by extension, if an observable trend indicates any larger cultural views. I just care about verisimillitude and internal consistency in writing. I don't even remember the names of most writers whose stories I read.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

The long descriptive title exists on purpose so that people reading the stories online or only able to see a spine can grab the gist of a story and decide to read, both marketplaces are very crowded. Japanese is also a more dense language than english to begin with.

In english the long descriptive titles were also popular premodern era for the same reason, but were normally subtitles or alternate titles, or chapter titles that explain the entire content of that chapter in the case of works that were published as serials in papers and recollected later.

Darth Walrus posted:

The classic example is 'The Life and Strange Surprizing Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Of York, Mariner: Who lived Eight and Twenty Years, all alone in an un-inhabited Island on the Coast of America, near the Mouth of the Great River of Oroonoque; Having been cast on Shore by Shipwreck, wherein all the Men perished but himself. With An Account how he was at last as strangely deliver'd by Pyrates'.
Learn something new every day. That's a mouthful of a title but I'm kind of interested in seeing a guy survive some eight and twenty years.

SpartanIvy posted:

I Chose to Leave Because I Was Threatened with Expulsion from the Party Unless I Became the Sex Slave of the Female Hero (Onna yūsha ni jibun no seidorei ni naranai to party wo tsuihō suru to odosareta no de ridatsu wo sentaku shimasu)
That title however does not fill me with any confidence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Literally just an RPG maker game they threw anime clips into to maybe justify a price tag.