Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do u love shield hero
Yeah I hate women
I think I may
I doubt it
It's poo poo from an rear end mate
View Results

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Watching ironically? what is this, 2013?

I would watch the Irregular and Magic High or whatever it was called and summarize it in the thread because holy gently caress was that show terrible. The author had a huge xenophobia streak along with a health dose of raging misogyny. One of the highlights was a ~scandalous~ reveal where a female character (who all wear floor length skirts) tumbled down and exposed her stocking clad legs as the entire room gasped in shock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Onmi posted:

Suprise that poo poo series that had fanbase before animation had fanbase after animation. It's not even an Incel/guy thing. I know plenty of girls who like the show and see the main guy as a sympathetic figure. I don't claim to understand it.

Broke brain people regardless of gender love to emphasize with a downtrodden underdog who gets revenge and justs horrifically shits all over his enemies.

"What about him sentencing his accuser to getting raped to death?"

"...its a fantasy story don't take it seriously geez" everyone who can't understand why toxic incel redpill depictions in media are actually harmful.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

Most people mention the webnovel's events.
The anime is almost milquetoast except when Malty shows up.

But all his slaves are still "grateful" he's their master and refuse any opportunity for freedom? Any depiction of a noble slaver is gross and something that permeated the culture in the US for over a century before the stranglehold southern born historians had over the popular narrative was broken by a new generation of scholars. Any attempts to revisit that concept should result in a brick to the face.

I assumed it was a similar thing to JSDF Gate where each subsequent adapation had to seriously tone down the fascist pro Nippon nationalism but even by the anime it was "glorious Japanese soldiers heroically defeat savage barbarians and feeble liberals at home attempt to sabotage them and paint them as blood thirsty baby killers for no reason and get viciously dunked on during a live broadcast"

Turns out the author was a die hard nationalist who loved the fantasy of JSDF murdering the poo poo out of thousands of bronze age soldiers.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Lurking Haro posted:

The first season ends with him becoming the ruler of Raphtalia's village and buying people back from the slaver, who rubs his hand and looks forward for more business.

He does have trust issues, which is why he never removed the crest on Raphtalia (and she put it back on when she had it removed :psyduck:) and Filo got a monster version when she went on rampages in the beginning.

What is your point?

Slavery is abhorrent but the presentation of the MC as a noble slaver only helping people out but keeping their slave crests/chains on because he has trust issues is okay?

The idea that anyone is a "good" slave owner is a complete hypocrisy and these stories are constructed such that it tries to make the MC owning slaves the best possible outcome for everyone, except for you know, freeing them and giving them choices.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Clarste posted:

"It's okay to keep slaves until you can resolve your trust issues" is also a pretty horrible message. The audience is presumably expected to empathize with him and see his actions as understandable.

Also in the context of isekai stories generally, it's pretty obvious that this stuff is just meant to feed into a slave fetish and the reading that "overcoming the need for slavery" will be the arc of the story is far too charitable to the work.

The differences between the WN/LN/manga/anime all having various levels of pro slavery ideas and "women are lying whores" make it a moot point as most of the people replying to this are falling over themselves to point out its "not as bad" as a previous incarnation or that there is some plot justification to keep a slave.

Starting to realize quarantine zone isn't an exaggeration. 7 years of posting on these forums and someone finally got mad enough to pay money for an AV for me and I'm assuming its from posting here. I might be wrong but from this thread I've never in my life seen people so fervently try to defend depictions of slavery as "good/justified" in any context.

Money well spent, if it costs someone the chance to buy more pro-slavery media for consumption.